Emergency Board Meeting called to discuss the future of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

I have absolutely no animosity towards the bloke, I'd like to thank him for giving us a period of post Moyes-LVG-Jose optimism. I feel for him as he looks broken, but that is on the club for putting him a "sink or swim" situation as someone who is clearly not up to the job and, unfortunately, he's been sinking for some time.

Part of that is also on him though for not getting in experienced coaches around him. The last few weeks have completely baffled me with regards to the results, but particularly the performances and lack of fight - and not forgetting the recent badly-conceived holiday.

Cheers Ole, still a club legend in my eyes, especially as a player, thanks for your efforts and I wish you well.
Well said mate.

Ixion

In reality Carrick or Fletch will take over for Villareal & then new manager for Chelsea

We’d probably steam roll Villareal too
And when we get a point in Villarreal I'll punch the first person to suggest Carrick or Fletcher till the end of the season.

Devil77

Or temporary caretaker manager.

In 2018, the plan was to replace Ole at season's end with Pochettino. The same way replaced Giggs as caretaker with LvG a 4 seasons earlier. Solksjaer was never supposed to be the permanent manager. But to be fair play to him, he steadied the ship for a couple of seasons, rebuilt the squad with serial winners, bought plenty of youth to carry us forward, got us consecutive top 4 finishes for the first time since Fergie, and raised the standards to the point where the fans are expecting this team to be challenging for the title. Ole's failing is that he's simply not been good enough to take that final step.

This season, he's underperforming on last year despite having better players. So the problem isn't that he's totally clueless - because he's already proven he can get worse players in the top 2. It's that he lacks the charisma to motivate Champions League level players in the way he previously motivated Top Four level players.

Unlike Moyes, LvG and Mourinho, Ole is going to leave Manchester United in a better state than he found it. Not bad for a "legend".
Well put!!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

In 2018, the plan was to replace Ole at season's end with Pochettino. The same way replaced Giggs as caretaker with LvG a 4 seasons earlier. Solksjaer was never supposed to be the permanent manager. But to be fair play to him, he steadied the ship for a couple of seasons, rebuilt the squad with serial winners, bought plenty of youth to carry us forward, got us consecutive top 4 finishes for the first time since Fergie, and raised the standards to the point where the fans are expecting this team to be challenging for the title. Ole's failing is that he's simply not been good enough to take that final step.

This season, he's underperforming on last year despite having better players. So the problem isn't that he's totally clueless - because he's already proven he can get worse players in the top 2. It's that he lacks the charisma to motivate Champions League level players in the way he previously motivated Top Four level players.

Unlike Moyes, LvG and Mourinho, Ole is going to leave Manchester United in a better state than he found it. Not bad for a "legend".
No

Orestetes

In reality Carrick or Fletch will take over for Villareal & then new manager for Chelsea

We’d probably steam roll Villareal too
If only there was an international break, so the new manager would have had some time to settle in.

Dominos

Custis' story about Ole saying goodbye to the players is completely believeable that this would be leaked as all it takes is 1 players to leak this story, and we know they've been leaking stories to the press for weeks.

Ultimately there's very little chance Castles has fabricated a board meeting at 7pm out of thin air, and Custis has fabricated that Ole has said goodbye the players out of thin air. Journos do a lot of fill-in-the-gaps type guesswork but most of them are not going to put their name against stories like this when they're blatantly not true.

He's definitely gone. Finally.

Walters_19_MuFc

Think he has to be sacked now.

Possibly Rangnick as interim until the end of the season and then DOF next season, with Ten Haag coming in.

Ixion

That's just stupid.
I think it's not much of a stretch to say the players are in a worse place mentally now than under Van Gaal or Jose. You've got the captain of the club publically saying we lack belief and De Gea saying we don't know what to do with the ball.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Feel sorry for him. Actually upset cause he's a club legend. Clearly not right and out of his depth, but he doesn't deserve some of the abuse directed his way. This isn't aimed at the caf btw, it is more towards things I'm hearing away from here

Stepney73

Carrick in interim. Expected to help transition to new manager, however, goes on a run of games in which he goes lossless and picks up win after win, only for the board to offer Carrick the job on a permanent basis.
no

he needs to be booted out the club the same time as ole and all the other backroom staff too.

Godfather

That's just stupid.
Giving a manager credit for improving the squad while spending 500 mill. Now that is stupid. Especially considering on what he spent it on in our case. 80 millions on Maguire alone is criminal. So not only is the notion that Ole leaves the squad in a better shape than the rest simply wrong, even if it was true he shouldn't get credit for it. He blew money left and right. Hats off. Great achievement.

Blood Mage

Think he has to be sacked now.

Possibly Rangnick as interim until the end of the season and then DOF next season, with Ten Haag coming in.
Stop giving the club too much credit, they wouldn't be smart enough to do that. It'll be Carricky till the summer and maybe next season too if he goes on a great run.

Ixion

Hearing G. Nev crashed the Zoom meeting to plead that Ole needs more time.
I actually saw on Twitter he liked the tweet from the Times about the emergency board meeting to discuss Ole's position. Bit weird when you refuse to say someone should be sacked

justsomebloke

I think it's not much of a stretch to say the players are in a worse place mentally now than under Van Gaal or Jose. You've got the captain of the club publically saying we lack belief and De Gea saying we don't know what to do with the ball.
I meant the monkey and transfers bit. Obviously we are in a very bad way right now. But as far as I'm concerned, Dante pretty much nailed it with his description. But, once more, things apparently can never get so bad that there won't be people who have to add another three notches of imaginary misery.

Josh 76

Feel sorry for him. Actually upset cause he's a club legend. Clearly not right and out of his depth, but he doesn't deserve some of the abuse directed his way. This isn't aimed at the caf btw, it is more towards things I'm hearing away from here
Agrees with this.
Should have gone after the final last season.
He doesn’t deserve the hate.
Ole will always be a legend for me.
Time has come to leave I’m afraid.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah same.

steffyr2

Awww. Do you think everyone who isn't a club legend deserves the online abuse they receive? What kind of standard is that?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Which is exactly how I see it, too.

I have wanted a managerial change for a long time but I readily admit Solskjaer has done some terrific work here. It’s a shame he wasn’t the man to deliver the holy grail again but he can be very proud of all that he’s achieved in the ~3 years he’s been in the hot-seat.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s gone. Liverpool was the moment he was done, it could have been any team that hammered the final nail between then and the rest of the season but we all knew this was coming.

Still love him for the player he was, nothing against him now as a coach, he tried his best and gave us some great memories but it’s time for someone else to have a go.

Custis' story about Ole saying goodbye to the players is completely believeable that this would be leaked as all it takes is 1 players to leak this story, and we know they've been leaking stories to the press for weeks.

Ultimately there's very little chance Castles has fabricated a board meeting at 7pm out of thin air, and Custis has fabricated that Ole has said goodbye the players out of thin air. Journos do a lot of fill-in-the-gaps type guesswork but most of them are not going to put their name against stories like this when they're blatantly not true.

He's definitely gone. Finally.
Agreed, the smoke signals are clear, we need only read between the lines. This is it, the next appointment is crucial. We need a period of stable improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.