Emi Buendia

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Gone a bit under the radar (in here) so far this season?

Think he has looked very, very good. Needs to add a bit of goal threat to his game, but other than that he appears to be a very complete winger and a great playmaker from the right. Still only 22.

I know most Man Utd-supporter hope and expect that we will sign Jadon Sancho (RedCafe will be reminiscent of Jonestown when he sign for Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea), but given the fierce competition from several other side and the fact that we are not at our most attractive we probably need a few options for the right wing. Buendia is certainly a very interesting prospect. I could see Spurs going for him as a replacement for Eriksen. I think he can turn out to offer very good value.

Mihai

One of the few remaining descendants of Jose Arcadia.

Conor

I don't want to sign him because he's a little prick with ridiculous speed stripes in his hair.

Robbie Boy

He hasn’t gone under the radar, he just hasn’t looked overly impressive in the PL so far.

Mark Pawelek

No way will we sign him. In terms of stats:
  • dribbles a lot; but dribbled past more often than he makes dribbles! In comparison: 6 times more often than Willian.
  • dispossed far too often. twice as often in this PL season compared to his previous season in the Championship. Four times more often than say, Jadon Sancho, or Dan James.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
No way will we sign him. In terms of stats:
  • dribbles a lot; but dribbled past more often than he makes dribbles! In comparison: 6 times more often than Willian.
  • dispossed far too often. twice as often in this PL season compared to his previous season in the Championship. Four times more often than say, Jadon Sancho, or Dan James.

You make a good point. I did not look that much into his stats at first.

The number of times he is "dribbled past" is insane. That being said, only four players in the PL have made more "attempted tackles" than him (Pereira, Romeu, Ndidi, Moutinho). It is a bit weird seeing a player like him on a list with these players. Not making excuses for him, but the way Norwich press might expose him a little bit? Cantwell is not dribbled past as often as Buendia, but he also makes fewer challenges. In fact, Cantwells success rate is slightly lower than Buendia. Buendia succeed with 42,6 % of his tackles, while Cantwell succeed with 41,6 %. But Buendia makes twice the amount of challenges per 90 min compared to Cantwell. That could make you wonder, does Buendia press to intensively or is it part of his work description from Farke?

I also agree in terms of him being dispossed too much. When you compare him to Sancho there is a huge difference. But I find it difficult to compare him to James. Even in the game against Man Utd, where Man Utd had the ball more than Norwich, Buendia had 79 touches on the ball. James had 39. He is usually the player with most touches at Norwich (or top two anyway). Consequently, I think its normal that he lose the ball more. I also think you are a bit more exposed to losing the ball more when you play at a team like Norwich. Furthermore, he is a playmaker with high risk in his game. He has 2,6 key passes per game and 3,1 dribbles per game. Daniel James is at 0,7 and 0,8.

Actually, only KdB and Trent have more key passes than Buendia so far this season in the PL. Even if you only look at open play key passes he is among the players who have created the most (I do not have an accurate overview, but probably top three). In my opinion, that is impressive for a player playing for Norwich for the first time in the PL.

In addition, in ten games he has faced Man Utd, City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Quite a heavy start.

IMO he is a really interesting player. He is still only 22 years old. But you might be right that it is still a bit too early.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Cantwell is shite, Buendia meh, Hernandez has a bit of prickle about him that might be vaguely useful. Ultimately though, I think the only Norwich players that might be useful for us are, bizarrely given their record, in defence. Godfrey and the full backs are decent I think, just in an overly exposed system.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Cantwell is shite, Buendia meh, Hernandez has a bit of prickle about him that might be vaguely useful. Ultimately though, I think the only Norwich players that might be useful for us are, bizarrely given their record, in defence. Godfrey and the full backs are decent I think, just in an overly exposed system.
Best player at Norwich is the LB. Lewis, is it? Reckon he'll go furthest.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I kinda like him. Strong on the ball, works hard defensively, is pretty creative, and actually plays on the right! Not that he keeps width or anything. It's clear that he has a licence to roam as he ends up centrally, on the left, as the DLP or up front in every game at some point.

SAFMUTD

I haven’t seen him much but from the matches Ive seen him play I’m not convinced at all, he seems a very average player.

Gator Nate

He seemed to have a pretty hot head, to me. On the verge of picking up a couple of cards at any given moment in the second half.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The player Garner sent back to the Championship with that turn against Norwich :drool:

From the few times I've seen him, he reminds me of Nasri during his time at City. Not the explosive youngster in his Arsenal days. The strong playmaker who, along with D.Silva, used to come inside from the wings to form a square in midfield with Toure and Barry/Fernandinho.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems good doesn't he?
Was just about to make a thread, the guy is class.

Works very hard, statistically is very good considering he's at a relegation club. He will move to a big club next season IMO.

He could actually be a very good number 10 for us. Works just as hard as Pereira/Lingard but has more about him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I don't want to sign him because he's a little prick with ridiculous speed stripes in his hair.
He hasn’t gone under the radar, he just hasn’t looked overly impressive in the PL so far.
Cantwell is shite, Buendia meh,
Poor man's Di Maria.
I haven’t seen him much but from the matches Ive seen him play I’m not convinced at all, he seems a very average player.

Appears to have impressed more as the season progressed. Nominated for player of the month in December and a player Liverpool is looking at. Would be a typical Liverpool-signing in my opinion. Typical Man Utd-signing ten years ago.

A playmaker on the right side of midfield. Kind of winger-type.The type of player we really need.

Classical Mechanic

Stats look great, he looks quite a rounded player and operates in a position that we need. 7 assists by half way point is not to be sniffed at in a team like Norwich.

Robbie Boy

Appears to have impressed more as the season progressed. Nominated for player of the month in December and a player Liverpool is looking at. Would be a typical Liverpool-signing in my opinion. Typical Man Utd-signing ten years ago.

A playmaker on the right side of midfield. Kind of winger-type.The type of player we really need.
He was excellent in the Championship but was quite slow at kicking on in the PL despite Norwich's good start. He's improved lately though but not sure he's good enough for a top team.

ash_86

strengths:
Passing - Very Strong
Through balls -Very Strong
Key passes -Very Strong
Defensive contribution -Very Strong
Taking set-pieces -Strong
Dribbling - Strong

Really complete midfielder. Has created most chances after KDB in the league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
P
strengths:
Passing - Very Strong
Through balls -Very Strong
Key passes -Very Strong
Defensive contribution -Very Strong
Taking set-pieces -Strong
Dribbling - Strong

Really complete midfielder. Has created most chances after KDB in the league.
Wow

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Probably not good enough for the top level but he looks more talented than most of the premier league players we've been linked with (barring just Maddison IMO).

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Probably not good enough for the top level but he looks more talented than most of the premier league players we've been linked with (barring just Maddison IMO).
Just turned 23. Alot of people in here was really unsure about some of the players Liverpool have brought in from other PL-clubs. Most of them older with more experience playing for a better team (Mane, VvD, Winjaldum).

My point is not that Buendia is as good or talented as these players (or that people are stupid and poor at assessing talent). My point is that it is always very hard to know if a player at a bottom or mid table club will be able to play at the top level.

But Buendia is currently as interesting as anyone (maybe with an exception for Grealish).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just turned 23. Alot of people in here was really unsure about some of the players Liverpool have brought in from other PL-clubs. Most of them older with more experience playing for a better team (Mane, VvD, Winjaldum).

My point is not that Buendia is as good or talented as these players (or that people are stupid and poor at assessing talent). My point is that it is always very hard to know if a player at a bottom or mid table club will be able to play at the top level.

But Buendia is currently as interesting as anyone (maybe with an exception for Grealish).
For sure, I just think Buendia isnt close to that level of potential yet. A big thing is also buying at the right time. Buying someone like Mane at the wrong point in time probably wouldn't have made him progress in the same way. Same with Wijnaldum. Buendia has impressed but I'd like him to cement it a bit more before seeing if it's worth going for. Definitely has potential, but would be too soon.
I'm pretty meh about Grealish tbh though.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Very good at retaining and carrying the ball. Needs to score goals though if he wants to step up to a bigger club.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
For sure, I just think Buendia isnt close to that level of potential yet. A big thing is also buying at the right time. Buying someone like Mane at the wrong point in time probably wouldn't have made him progress in the same way. Same with Wijnaldum. Buendia has impressed but I'd like him to cement it a bit more before seeing if it's worth going for. Definitely has potential, but would be too soon.
I'm pretty meh about Grealish tbh though.
I agree to some extent. I think a player benefit from playing and training with better players if he is good enough for that team. Buendia would be a starter at Man Utd. A bit because of our lack of options.

And while I agree that I ideally would like to see him more in the PL, maybe even at a better club, I think waiting could prove costly. It often do. In our position, we need to take some chances. And Buendia would not be a huge gamble.

By the end of the month, Norwich could basically be relegated (not in theory, but realistically). He might be available then.

::sonny::

Cantwell is good, a little Maddison in the making

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Cantwell is good, a little Maddison in the making
He's really not. What is he, one year younger than Maddison and he doesn't even regularly start for Norwich.

Steve Bruce

(The n°14 was of the mighty Wes Hoolohans)
I remember hoolohan before he went to England, played for shelbourne. You could see he was levels above the standard of football on the island of Ireland, however Linfield still beat shelbourne in Dublin for the all-Ireland setanta Cup which was a huge upset at the time :)

::sonny::

I remember hoolohan before he went to England, played for shelbourne. You could see he was levels above the standard of football on the island of Ireland, however Linfield still beat shelbourne in Dublin for the all-Ireland setanta Cup which was a huge upset at the time :)
I managed the Shels on FM some year before they get relegated, I built a decent team with a 120k/year as a salary budget, with the super Jason Byrne upfront, what a striker!