Emiliano Sala: Rest In Peace

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
There is a good chance the search teams will never find the bodies. :(

Bwuk

Feel so sad for his family and anyone else on the flights family, as it’s hard to believe they’ll find the bodies.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wow, that’s tragic. I would have refused to board such a plane.
He must've flown in it before. Has it been said how he got to Cardiff to sign the deal in the first place (and obviously he went back to France before this fateful flight).

When I saw this it jogged my mind back 2-3 years when the Argentine national team flew on that jet that crashed with Chapeocense team onboard.

Adcuth

Thanks. He was having dizzy spells after working in the sun for a couple of hours. After sitting down, drinking some water he tried to leave the house. As he's walking out he inexplcably collapses from the doorstep. He didnt break his fall, landed on his head , fractured his skull. He was in ICU from 24 dec-30 dec. He had a brain herrmorage and needed surgery but his blood pressure was too low to operate. Doctor was wating for it to rise to a norma level, but it never did. Needless to say, very traumatic for me and still trying to deal with it.
My condolences mate. Don't suffer alone if possible. I went through something similar and found that speaking about it really helped. Stay strong pal x

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So sad. I dont if life is precious anymore. An accident like this, a young man about to begin probably the most exciting part of his life. It shouldnt happen.

My best friend died last month. He was a Manchester United fan, was so excited after Mourinho sacking and was looking forward to life under Ole. He only got to see the one match. It actually hurts seeing UTD doing so well, wishing my friend was here to experience it. AT 25, on the verge of starting his masters. Probably the best guy I Knew. We buried him with a UTD jersey, an AIG one, some of his best time supporting the club. Sorry to go off topic a little, but my point is, I really dont know if life is precious anymore when these things happen to good young men.
Really sorry to read that mate. Stay strong. And R.I.P to your friend.

And so sad about Sala.

Santos J

Blimey, must've been a much smoother journey there and back the first time as no way surely he'd have risked things if there were issues.
Nope. Even worse:

Everything surrounding it makes it seem like it really wasn't safe at all. Awful stuff.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nope. Even worse:

Everything surrounding it makes it seem like it really wasn't safe at all. Awful stuff.
Words really fail me. Guess he was just desperate to get to Cardiff and get started so wanted to take quickest method of transport.

MrEleson

The aircraft model he was flying on is the "Piper PA-46," a light aircraft that holds 1 pilot and 5 passengers. First introduced in the 80s; it is actually known for it's frequent accidents and inability to handle adverse weather conditions which is what Emiliano's plane likely encountered when he reached the English Channel from France which is where the aircraft lost radar contact. It really is devastating.

Also, the audio of him speaking about being scared and the plane looking like it's about to fall apart was allegedly sent when he was still on the ground. He was supposedly saying it because he really wasn't impressed by it. That's why he later then added the line "If you don't hear from me in an hour and a half, I dunno if people will come to look for me." It was said in jest but turned out to be an utterly tragic coincidence. Condolences to his family.

Reactions: Ødegaard

JezChan

Very sad news indeed. Having a background in aerospace, and been lucky enough to have flown a lot, it would definitely seem like a case of several unfortunate events lining up together, rather than any single fault of mechanical systems, pilot error or weather.

The tweets are interesting - not sure how much to read into them (as the poster above mentioned). I've flown some pretty bad routes/multiple attempted landings and forced redirects. For a layperson they feel like the world could be ending. Devastating for his loved ones to receive those messages.

Fridge chutney

I listened to the audio message. It's in Spanish. He's just talking to his mates. He's joking about the plane but the plane was clearly sketchy enough to make him joke nervously.

So so tragic. This news has haunted me all day. His poor family.

peridigm

Very sad news indeed. Having a background in aerospace, and been lucky enough to have flown a lot, it would definitely seem like a case of several unfortunate events lining up together, rather than any single fault of mechanical systems, pilot error or weather.

The tweets are interesting - not sure how much to read into them (as the poster above mentioned). I've flown some pretty bad routes/multiple attempted landings and forced redirects. For a layperson they feel like the world could be ending. Devastating for his loved ones to receive those messages.
This is very sad. No shame in refusing to fly on a shoddy looking plane.

I was learning to fly in a Cessna about 20 years ago. In one of my first unassisted landings my approach was too fast and too high. The instructor took control of the plane and performed a slip maneuver to drop speed and altitude. Needless to say I almost shit myself and thought it was the end. He straightened out at the last moment before we touched down. I had no idea what that was at the time as we did not require ground school back then. Looking at the runway through my side window before touching down was a bit weird and seemed to deny physics. I never did finish my lessons. Stopped at about 12 hours. I have no problem flying but I leave the driving part to the pros.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Two years ago i would have said why did he not speak up if he was worried? But after being in a similar situation myself where i thought there was something wrong with the plane before take off on a flight back from Australia (which thankfully was just me being paranoid) and bottling saying anything i can understand fully why he didn't.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Nice to see you post again :)

Kapardin

I'm not the biggest fan of Ronaldo's ego, but hidn't intend anything by that tweet, as pointed out by someone on twitter, it was poor timing rather than malice. Lineker should stop with the moral preaching, he actually blocked the guy who replied to him saying it was him (Lineker) who was making it a bigger issue than it is by quoting Ronaldo's tweet.

"He's probably not heard about it." He never got that photo developed at boots. He's literally on the internet to post the fecking thing on twitter! People genuinely sitting around here thinking Ronaldo didnt know about it. He's an egomaniac. Of course it wouldnt have crossed his mind to tweet it and think nothing of the other incident. That's his personality all over.
Erm, have you taken a look at Ronaldo's Twitter? It looks more like ad-spam due to his many sponsorships, with almost zero personal touches. Ronaldo has people running Twitter for him bar the odd tweet like this one, and there is no proof that even this tweet was posted personally by him. He hardly checks out the latest Twitter trends.

As others pointed out, I doubt he was even aware of this tragedy when he posted it. Self-absorbed maybe, but not malicious.

Last edited:

Charlie Foley

I find it more disheartening and disrespectful that people find the need to connect Ronaldo's photo to the tragedy. It's bad timing, yes but he obviously had no idea about the incident. Gary Linker is an idiot for quoting the tweet as it's basically shit stirring. He's a Messi fan anyway, so anything to get bad publicity for Ronaldo.

Even I, who hasn't done much today didn't hear about the news until about an hour ago much less Ronaldo who has been travelling between countries and attending a court case..

The sensible thing to have done was just ignore it no matter how insensitive or ill-timed it looks. Quoting it like he did doesn't really add anything
Jesus the internet really is pathetic

Charlie Foley

For the record I'm sure Ronaldo didn't know what had happened when he Tweeted that. It should be deleted though. I just can't believe someone actually brought up "well he's a Messi fan so..." over this

Ainu

No you didn't, it was on Sporza's main page and on the HLN app as well.

I'm not saying Ronaldo definitely knew about it because there's a good chance he didn't, and obviously he isn't making fun of the situation - but it's just so typical and reaffirms for me that most footballers or professional athletes in general simply live in their own world with a lack of some self-awareness.
It's on Sporza but you'd have to scroll way down. It's not headline news like it is on the football pages of The Guardian, that's my point. It seems to be getting a little more attention now, but still easy to miss.

You're right about the lack of self awareness, but that's not what the other guy was saying. He was explicitly claiming Ronaldo would've known for certain.

Ban

Just a poor timing by Ronaldo, hope he deleted the tweet though.

Was it some old plane Sala flew with?

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
That's so sad.

Please do speak to someone if you can. This is great first step..

My condolences.

I don't normally post here but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for you to lose your best friend. I'm 25 myself and a mad utd fan just like your mate Life's way to short

Back on topic. It's hard to digest but he's not surviving that crash. The conditions and considering how short the flying distance is. Cardiff is about 40 mins from where I lived in Bristol and this is heartbreaking news.

Thank you.

16 Beasley Street

Eerie viewing in light of what has happened but this is the lost plane and presumably pilot, filmed talking about his job in 2015. Compared to the flight he took across the Atlantic to bring the aircraft to the UK it must have felt like a pretty low risk journey but I guess his luck finally ran out. Crazy decision by Cardiff (if indeed it was theirs) to fly your latest asset across the channel on a single engine in the middle of the night in midwinter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-34492176/my-life-as-a-ferry-pilot

*Edit: Some doubt as to whether the person featured in this clip was the pilot on this missing flight. It is the aircraft though and gives some insight into the perils of this type of flying.

Also, Cardiff City are claiming that the club were not responsible for arranging the flight.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
There is a good chance the search teams will never find the bodies. :(
Yeah. If (hope not) the plane has gone down in water then zero possibility of finding anybody.

The whole scene is so tragic

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
People are dying every second. I'm sure somewhere someone has died from the lack clean water and I'm sure somewhere someone has taken a picture of themselves drinking water. Thats life.
Yes that's life and it's also one of the worst analogies I've ever read on here.

shaky

Two years ago i would have said why did he not speak up if he was worried? But after being in a similar situation myself where i thought there was something wrong with the plane before take off on a flight back from Australia (which thankfully was just me being paranoid) and bottling saying anything i can understand fully why he didn't.
I guess in these situations, you just decide to assume that the pilot knows best, and if they're happy to fly in the plane, you trust their judgment since they're the experts and unlikely to risk their own lives flying in something unreliable.

Not that we know it was even a technical fault. I'd be worried about flying in any plane with a single pilot. If they were to fall ill at 5000ft, you're pretty screwed unless you can fly yourself.

Utdstar01

surely they'll find the remains of the plane though?
A chance but I'd imagine a slim one perhaps. Not to mention the aircraft being very small in stature to some of the bigger ones that have gone missing. Think they mentioned some floating objects had been found so if they could ID those to the aircraft then they have answers but recovery of the wreckage and finding anybody i imagine would be very difficult.

lsd

The Oracle
Words really fail me. Guess he was just desperate to get to Cardiff and get started so wanted to take quickest method of transport.

I don't think it was his choice Cardiff made a fuss about wanting him over as quick as possible so he could start playing .

lsd

The Oracle
People are dying every second. I'm sure somewhere someone has died from the lack clean water and I'm sure somewhere someone has taken a picture of themselves drinking water. Thats life.
Yeah Lineker is being an idiot grief shaming to make himself look good