Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion

mu4c_20le

Achievements wise its right, she just happens to be a prodigy. We shouldn't be ageist.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Damn, current world ranking of 75 - I see what you mean. A shame
She's actually a very good player on her day, could definitely move forward, but there's always some excuse with the injuries and there's a lack of heart for when things go wrong.

I think she's been terribly managed, all the coaching changes, the pandering, the family involvement. I think the previous coach she had alluded to these issues without outright saying it.

NotworkSte

Doesn't mean it's right. That said, I don't recall how early in his career Murray won his to be honest.
It's pretty low on the award level and a couple of thousand are awarded every year. Compared to some that will get it, her open win is pretty significant achievement, and to receive it you should be still performing in the role for which it is achieved.

DON’T PANIC ™

Saw similar career path with Eugene Bouchard. Modelling for magazines becomes as important (and lucrative) as tennis and the standard drops off quickly.
Terrible waste of talent in both cases.

slyadams

Saw similar career path with Eugene Bouchard. Modelling for magazines becomes as important (and lucrative) as tennis and the standard drops off quickly.
Terrible waste of talent in both cases.
Sometimes I feel its assumed sportspeople are very different to everyone else, and in many respects to have the drive to put in all the work to reach the top they must be. However, I checked out Bouchard's stats and she's won over $7m in prize money. I've worked hard to get where I am in my career but if I had $7m in the bank with the knowledge I can make a tonne more in easier options (like she can modelling, punditting etc.) I would quit my job today, and I suspect many others would do the same.

DON’T PANIC ™

Sometimes I feel its assumed sportspeople are very different to everyone else, and in many respects to have the drive to put in all the work to reach the top they must be. However, I checked out Bouchard's stats and she's won over $7m in prize money. I've worked hard to get where I am in my career but if I had $7m in the bank with the knowledge I can make a tonne more in easier options (like she can modelling, punditting etc.) I would quit my job today, and I suspect many others would do the same.
Perhaps, but I’d say they will look back at it in 10, 15 years with regret.

slyadams

Perhaps, but I’d say they will look back at it in 10, 15 years with regret.
Maybe so, but that’s an easy thing to do. It’s easy to look back at anything 20 years ago and regret it because you don’t fully remember the mindset you were in at the time you made decisions. Especially when you’re older and are nostalgic for your youth.