Emre Can

Mark Pawelek

It's this sort of short-termism that is killing us in every transfer window. We are in need of quality right now not squad depth options. He also moved to Juve on a free meaning he gets more wages and we would have to pay more too. This season is gone, we aren't going to get relegated, we have to plan for next season and select top players that would come for us instead of the likes of Can who is just like Schneiderlin.
United need both better quality and squad depth. Looking to improve squad depth is a long-term option. United must ship out players found wanting: Lingard, Mata, Pereira, Fred, Matic.

Mark Pawelek

I don't think they are. Matic was, but is clearly finished. Fred looks to be getting worse after a poor first season and I really don't get how McToMinay gets rated. He's decent only in the "good enough to have a Premiership career" kind of way, wouldn't get a game with the top 5, and wouldn't be getting starts for the likes of West ham, Wolverhampton or Leicester.
McTominay is rated as obviously better than Fred or Matic. In a stronger side he's be a bench option.

Lee565

These two. Both better than Can. Cheaper, Younger. Still young enough to adapt to English football.

Player ------------ Age --- Cost ---- Club
Matheus Henrique --- 21 --- £16.2 --- Gremio --- Brazilian only passport
Bruno Guimarães ---- 21 ---- £4.5 --- Paranaense --- Has Spanish passport.

TransferMarkt prices quoted. South American players never go for more than £20m when moving within clubs in South America itself. I'm sure we can get 2 better players for what Juventus want for Can.
Problem is how do we know they will adapt to the premier league? We have had rotten luck with south Americans. With can for moderate price we know we will get reliable performances from him as he is already premier league proven, also on the upside he will be eligible for the Europa league if that becomes our only realistic way of getting champions league football come the new year.

We having another Lamina situation or, suddenly it makes sense, he is this or that, people always mentioned him as good option for our midfield etc.
He's a lot better than Lemina. Can performed well with liverpool, hence why Juventus pounced on him. Think if he joins it will help unleash pogba like we saw when matic was looking good for a few months after Jose left the club.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You are very antagonistic. I never once said Zaniolo could be had for 35m, or even at all. I quite specifically left Italy out of the countries where cheaper CMs who might be worth signing might be found. On the other hand if a class Italian CM becomes available for more than 35m then I think we should do it.
Still no names

kidbob

Waste of time of a signing. We already seen that he isn't good enough for a top 4 club. If you are going for a signing from Italy then better off going for Tonali or if you want to spend more then Pellegrini. Can would be a piece of shit signing. The guy is awful and he is a McTominay replacement not a Matic one anyhow. If the club signs him then we should switch to playing scrabble because we clearly have no clue about football.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Still no names
Oh so you can read. It's not my job to provide names, you're the one who seems to think Can + nobody is an OK deal. It might be ok if you're willing to be the new West Ham. Personally I'd rather get relegated and get Ed the feck out of our club than have yet another no mark who is only here for the money keep us in no man's land.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't think they are. Matic was, but is clearly finished. Fred looks to be getting worse after a poor first season and I really don't get how McToMinay gets rated. He's decent only in the "good enough to have a Premiership career" kind of way, wouldn't get a game with the top 5, and wouldn't be getting starts for the likes of West ham, Wolverhampton or Leicester.
Matic I can understand, his legs seem gone. McTominay and Fred are similar to Henderson, who looked much more improved under a better manager. Both I think are good enough but aren't playing at their best. Can will fall under the same category.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
These two. Both better than Can. Cheaper, Younger. Still young enough to adapt to English football.

Player ------------ Age --- Cost ---- Club
Matheus Henrique --- 21 --- £16.2 --- Gremio --- Brazilian only passport
Bruno Guimarães ---- 21 ---- £4.5 --- Paranaense --- Has Spanish passport.

TransferMarkt prices quoted. South American players never go for more than £20m when moving within clubs in South America itself. I'm sure we can get 2 better players for what Juventus want for Can.
What proof do you have that those two players are better then Can? How much football have you watched them play? Do they have Champions league, international and premier League experience like Can does? You could sign those 2 players and they spend the first 12 months of their life here just trying to adapt to life in England let alone premier League football. Do you really think you can afford to wait that long for two unknown players because I really don't think you can. By signing those two players you would be making no immediate improvement to your starting 11. They are the types of players man city can sign because they have time to slowly introduce them to the team. You guys can't so that right now.

Mark Pawelek

... With can for moderate price we know we will get reliable performances from him as he is already premier league proven, also on the upside he will be eligible for the Europa league if that becomes our only realistic way of getting champions league football come the new year.

He's a lot better than Lemina. Can performed well with liverpool, hence why Juventus pounced on him. Think if he joins it will help unleash pogba ...
Exactly what was said about Matic.

Mark Pawelek

What proof do you have that those two players are better then Can? How much football have you watched them play? Do they have Champions league, international and premier League experience like Can does? You could sign those 2 players and they spend the first 12 months of their life here just trying to adapt to life in England let alone premier League football. Do you really think you can afford to wait that long for two unknown players because I really don't think you can. By signing those two player Tsanzebe s you would be making no immediate improvement to your starting 11. They are the types of players man city can sign because they have time to slowly introduce them to the team. You guys can't so that right now.
I want them because they will help replace: Matic, Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Rojo, Fred, and the 3 players we lost in the summer who've not been replaced. Remember: Lost 7 last season. Got 4 (including Tuanzebe). The deficit is 9 players missing from the squad. 3 we don't have plus 6 we can't trust to put in a better than relegation performance. That is why I want them, because I want more, I'm willing to risk cheaper players.

I guess you must be happy waiting 5 years for the rebuild.

crossy1686

career ending
We need midfielders, he’s decent and can do a job. If he’s available at £35m it’s good business in a January market. Would be an instant starter for us until we have actual chance to improve the current shit we have.

as long as he fits the squad and wants to actually play for us, we’d be daft not to take the option of signing him, feck a loan would do for 6 months!

AFC NimbleThumb

Guess the “Young & British” b*llocks we were force fed this summer has already gone well & truly out the window.

sillwuka

He's better than Fred. He has a consistent first touch.

You know what you're going to get with him, I'll take 6/10 solid performances every week over erratic displays. Bring him in, he would stabilise our midfield.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Exactly what was said about Matic.
So because another midfielder has been a let down, we shouldn't buy another? Ignoring the fact that Matic was declining, closing towards 30 and Emre Can is 25.

Obiorahking_

I wouldn't mind this signing as long as he isn't considered our main DM going forward.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Guess the “Young & British” b*llocks we were force fed this summer has already gone well & truly out the window.
I really don’t understand why people keep saying this.

There was, and still is, an emphasis on signing emerging British talent. However, that doesn’t mean we won’t also sign some foreign players ffs.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

I really don’t understand why people keep saying this.

There was, and still is, an emphasis on signing emerging British talent. However, that doesn’t mean we won’t also sign foreign players ffs.
Aside from the fact it’s simply a horrendous/dangerous message to deliver.

A multitude of ‘young & foreign’ midfielders moved this summer who are clearly better than what we currently have but we were wanted to pay half of what Newcastle valued Longstaff at.

If you’d rather ignore the rather obvious overtone of such a comment when our squad is in such a shambles whilst we could have gone ‘young & [enter nationality here]’ in the summer then so be it.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
I want them because they will help replace: Matic, Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Rojo, Fred, and the 3 players we lost in the summer who've not been replaced. Remember: Lost 7 last season. Got 4 (including Tuanzebe). The deficit is 9 players missing from the squad. 3 we don't have plus 6 we can't trust to put in a better than relegation performance. That is why I want them, because I want more, I'm willing to risk cheaper players.

I guess you must be happy waiting 5 years for the rebuild.
I'm not a man utd fan so I don't care how long it takes you to rebuild. The route you want to take seems like the slower route to me though. No way will those players come in and do a better job than Emre Can will if you signed them in January. Can can go straight into your team, no way do those players go straight in. I really don't know how you think buying unknown Brazilians is the quickest way to success over proven talent that is still only 25 years old.

Cee90

A multitude of ‘young & foreign’ midfielders moved this summer who are clearly better than what we currently have but we were wanted to pay half of what Newcastle valued Longstaff at.

If you’d rather ignore the rather obvious overtone of such a comment when our squad is in such a shambles whilst we could have gone ‘young & [enter nationality here]’ in the summer then so be it.
Wow.

What are you talking about? :houllier:

How exactly is focusing on signing the best emerging English/British talent "simply a horrendous/dangerous message to deliver"?

We are an English club, and we've always had a good core of English/British players, even under SAF. There is a great array of British talent coming through the ranks at the moment, so it makes sense to put some focus in this area.

In almost every league across Europe, the top clubs also have a focus on signing players from their own countries too.

This of course doesn't mean we will not also sign foreign players, surely this is a very simple thing for you to understand?

A multitude of ‘young & foreign’ midfielders moved this summer who are clearly better than what we currently have but we were wanted to pay half of what Newcastle valued Longstaff at..
This is not only completely irrelevant to my initial point, but also completely unfounded. British players will of course demand a premium, that's nothing new.

Just because the club didn't sign a young and foreign midfielder in the last transfer window, it doesn't mean they won't in the next transfer window(s). We're being linked with foreign players all the time. You do realise this is a thread about Emre Can, a 25 year old foreign midfielder who we've been linked to right?

What are you suggesting with this comment?

Some sort of racism or something?

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
I'm not a man utd fan so I don't care how long it takes you to rebuild. The route you want to take seems like the slower route to me though. No way will those players come in and do a better job than Emre Can will if you signed them in January. Can can go straight into your team, no way do those players go straight in. I really don't know how you think buying unknown Brazilians is the quickest way to success over proven talent that is still only 25 years old.

Its unreal i saw a post saying suggesting him would be like buying a past his best Matic

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yeah one signing makes that null and void.

How dopey do you have to be to believe every signing would be young and British?

Honestly?

Cee90

How dopey do you have to be to believe every signing would be young and British?

Honestly?
Very dopey is the answer you're looking for.

bdspeedy

Always expected him (Can) to do better than he has but I'd take a shot at him. Sometimes a player just fits. Who knows? He may end up doing better than Herrera did. Which in my estimation, was never quite enough.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd definitely take him. How much would he go for?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Having read the thread about our new recruitment strategy, I'm wondering what you have to enter into the scouting software to bring out Emre Can as the answer. He's a bit of an all rounder but not the best and doesn't really stand out for a specific part of his game. It's just a very random target.

Cee90

Having read the thread about our new recruitment strategy, I'm wondering what you have to enter into the scouting software to bring out Emre Can as the answer. He's a bit of an all rounder but not the best and doesn't really stand out for a specific part of his game. It's just a very random target.
My guess would be something like this:

- Interceptions per game
- Tackles per game
- Pass success percentage
- Average distance covered per game
- Ball retention statistics

I'm not sure if the software would be able to also highlight other things such as estimated transfer value, availability, Premier League experience, citizenship etc, but all of these can contribute towards picking one player over another. I think Can could be a good January purchase personally, especially if we can get him for £30 million or less.

vulmik

He is and plays too slow for my liking.

Rather pass on him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Oh so you can read. It's not my job to provide names, you're the one who seems to think Can + nobody is an OK deal. It might be ok if you're willing to be the new West Ham. Personally I'd rather get relegated and get Ed the feck out of our club than have yet another no mark who is only here for the money keep us in no man's land.
That's quite ironic considering that out of the midfielder options linked to the club as of late, Can is the only player who hasn't played for a West Ham level team. The others were Rice, a 70m rated West Ham player while the other one is Longstaff a 50m rated midfielder who plays for Newcastle. Can is a German international who had played with Bayern Munich, Bayern Leverkusen, Liverpool and Juventus. He did quite a good job at the last 3 jobs and was only axed because of Sarriball. Such decision had split Juventus fans and there are quite consistent rumours of an argument between Sarri and Paratic about iti, the latter being the best DOF in Italy.

Now if you ask me whether I believe that Can is WC then the answer is a clear no. However, if you ask me whether I think he's a valuable, versatile player whom would be a better option to all our midfielders bar Pogba then the answer is yes. If we sign him we'll get a versatile 25 year old EPL proven German international with the right attitude to succeed at United, all at a measly 35m fee. A player btw who was this close from joining PSG last season until someone at Juve cocked up by promising him that he'll still be important at Juve.

Our squad is a mess that needs at least 7-8 new players. We won't sort that with players 70m-80m a pop

bdspeedy

Did you ever actually get a second shed?

::sonny::

Bad player, but he runs and tackle

So would be better than what we have now (Pereira, Matic, Fred)

Juve will sell him for 40 million after got him for free

Wanna see who will be so stupid to pay that for Can

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
If Paratici makes a package of Mandzukic, Can and Rugani for £70m on top of Allegri as your next coach, United is sorted for top 4 without paying extortionate fee for exotic players coming out of nowhereland and Juve is sorted for their accounting books. A win-win situation very likely to happen, if stars align that way.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
My guess would be something like this:

- Interceptions per game
- Tackles per game
- Pass success percentage
- Average distance covered per game
- Ball retention statistics

I'm not sure if the software would be able to also highlight other things such as estimated transfer value, availability, Premier League experience, citizenship etc, but all of these can contribute towards picking one player over another. I think Can could be a good January purchase personally, especially if we can get him for £30 million or less.
But is he the best option? Or is the key aspect the price?

AFC NimbleThumb

Wow.

What are you talking about? :houllier:
The thing you've ignored during your whole diatribe is I haven't said we said were going to only buy 'young & British'. I think it's pretty stupid to brief we are going in one direction when it's impossible to do so. You're on a misinformed tangent against something I haven't actually said but this is RedCaf so. . .

How exactly is focusing on signing the best emerging English/British talent "simply a horrendous/dangerous message to deliver"?
Because it's an impossible thing to do. We haven't got a class of '92 coming through that will be the backbone of the club and £130mil gets you 2 British players these days - the 'British Premium' is stronger than ever and we're in no position to be turning down talented players based on their birthrights so why say it at all.

It should be, just buy the best players we can but no we need to feed the fanbase an empty platitude.

We are an English club, and we've always had a good core of English/British players, even under SAF. There is a great array of British talent coming through the ranks at the moment, so it makes sense to put some focus in this area.
Is there? A great array?

You're now into the credits of British players as if I said they're bad - which I haven't. I've no issue with signing a player of any nationality. This isn't the mid-nineties where SAF could go to most British players [Shearer says hello] and sign them. I've not said we would only buy British or derided British talent but me thinking we should go for the best player regardless of nationality seems to have offended you at some point.

You're again going off in a direction my posts haven't gone.

This is not only completely irrelevant to my initial point, but also completely unfounded. British players will of course demand a premium, that's nothing new.
Calling Tielemans a better summer target than Longstaff isn't a slight on British players. Somehow we're now onto the British Premium for players. . .

Just because the club didn't sign a young and foreign midfielder in the last transfer window, it doesn't mean they won't in the next transfer window(s). We're being linked with foreign players all the time.
When did I say it didn't?

I said the 'young & British' briefing has already gone out the window 8/9 games into the season because Emre Can was left out of the Juve UCL & available in the summer, if he were the answer he should have been bought then. Similarly to another non-young & British Juve player, Mandzukic, who were are linked with again.

I've not said we would only sign players of British origin, what are you on about?

You do realise this is a thread about Emre Can, a 25 year old foreign midfielder who we've been linked to right?
Again, what are you on about?

Emre Can's age and nationality are concerns of yours not mine; if he's good enough I'm more interested in his production on the pitch than his birth certificate.

What are you suggesting with this comment?

Some sort of racism or something?
Again, another misinterpretation. The overtones in my post. Racism or something? :lol:

My stance, for clarification [not misinterpretation].

Saying we are going ‘young & British’ when we should simply be going for ‘good players’ is ridiculous. Some of the clubs best players & cornerstones of the team have come from outside the country. I would much rather have a Vidic than any CB we currently have but would also much rather have a Rio aswell.

Look at the 2 best teams currently in the country; nationalism didn't get in the way of squad construction.

You've honestly lost the plot on this one and drawn it out longer than necessary. Your argument isn't based on what I'm saying so I'm more than happy to leave this here.

Honestly?
Where have I said this?

You’ve assumed I believed every signing would be young & British then called me ‘dopey’. How. . . ironic.

As we are encouraged to criticize the post not the poster, your post is an idiot.

Don’t quote me to misinterpret me.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Can is not as good as Fabinho obviously, but if we didn't have him, he'd still be good enough to get games and do well enough for most of our needs in midfield.

So he is obviously more than good enough to improve your midfield. If he arrived, my guess is he would be instantly overrated as top quality for doing an actually good job, given that your other midfielders get rated as good players without actually turning in good performances.

riis

Supports
Liverpool
He's another box to box midfielder in the mould of what we have in McTominay, isn't he? I just don't see where he'd fit in.

I mean, can he play as a holding midfielder?
He did play as a #6 for LFC a lot, but I think he lacks the positional awareness and focus to be an elite #6. He has also mentioned in interviews that he doesn't like to sprint so much, and thus prefers to play as a #6 rather than box-to-box. That showed on the pitch when he was at LFC as he was often seen jogging and not properly tracking back when the team lost the ball. He has a lot in his locker, but frankly I think he's a jack-of-all-trades type of player who he lacks one or two key skills at a high enough level to be an elite #6 or an elite box-to-box player. He might be an upgrade on what you have, but I don't think he's the solution to your midfield problems.

Reactions: Jippy

Walters_19_MuFc

He did play as a #6 for LFC a lot, but I think he lacks the positional awareness and focus to be an elite #6. He has also mentioned in interviews that he doesn't like to sprint so much, and thus prefers to play as a #6 rather than box-to-box. That showed on the pitch when he was at LFC as he was often seen jogging and not properly tracking back when the team lost the ball. He has a lot in his locker, but frankly I think he's a jack-of-all-trades type of player who he lacks one or two key skills at a high enough level to be an elite #6 or an elite box-to-box player. He might be an upgrade on what you have, but I don't think he's the solution to your midfield problems.
Great info. Cheers.