End Of Season Review

PoTMS

Now the dust has sort of settled from our disappointing defeat in the final, how do we rate this season just gone?

Premier League: 2nd
Champions League: Group Stages
Europa League: Runners up
FA Cup: Quarter-Finals
League Cup: Semi-Finals

Some good results on the way but ultimately fruitless.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
An improvement on a shite season but still not good enough. Project isn't done. Onus on the owners to continue the rebuild.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Meh season. Was important for us to win something but it didn't happen.
I'm not convinced by Ole but he won't be sacked so I hope he's backed properly this summer.
We need 3 starters at least.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Well if you compare against our 74 season where we got relegated we've done a fabulous job this season.

If you compare from 10 years ago we've dropped the ball massively.

And if you compare the last 5 years we've been more of the same with slight improvement.

You see, it depends what benchmark your comparing against and what your end goal is.

xtal191

B in the league
D in FA Cup
C in League Cup
F in Champions League
E in Europa

Overall I'd give us a C

Abraxas

Now the dust has sort of settled from our disappointing defeat in the final, how do we rate this season just gone?

Premier League: 2nd
Champions League: Group Stages
Europa League: Runners up
FA Cup: Quarter-Finals
League Cup: Semi-Finals

Some good results on the way but ultimately fruitless.
I think when you look at the bare results, it is not bad. It may even be classified as reasonably good. Not based on history, or some fan's expectation, but based on where we are coming from which is that we have not been a top team for a long time.

The CL was a particular lowlight, unfortunately. A couple of guilt edged chances for silverware that would have built some confidence. I think these two factors, particularly the way we keep coming up a little short is what is going to put the manager in a difficult spot next season. Although, ultimately, not that far removed from the usual expectation of a Utd manager, which is that we produce.

I think next season is going to be really big. He will presumably be backed again, where do you go from here? You have to get closer in the league, get later into the CL and/or win something. With further signings and the time afforded winning something is becoming increasingly necessary if he is to stave off those starting to doubt him.

RedDevilRoshi

Very similar to the 2018 season in Jose’s 2nd season in terms of how it all panned out in the end

Comfortable 2nd place finish in the league but not exactly close in terms of a proper, serious title challenge

Embarrassing exit in the CL

Runners up in a cup final

A domestic cup quarter final exit

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Happy it’s over. Essentially a 2 year season. Must have been such a slog.

Tony Babangida

We are still second tier. Can’t see it changing without a level of investment that is beyond our owners.

FatTails

Yep, and a very similar foreboding feel to it.

Without a mega transfer window Ole is going to walk the same path as Jose.
True. We’re going to need a prime Messi to beat Villarreal. No other way, unfortunately.

Can’t be done, with the pub players we have and the superstars they have.

Nori-

We made fun of LFC for having an awful season......We literally have nothing more to show for it than them.

Champions league qualification + No trophies.

Let's not sugar coat it, that's the reason we've been so mediocre the last 6/7 seasons.....because we've made small achievements (by our standards) sound like huge triumphs.

hobbers

True. We’re going to need a prime Messi to beat Villarreal. No other way, unfortunately.

Can’t be done, with the pub players we have and the superstars they have.
Yeah but that's what we get for keeping such a limited manager.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ole himself reviewed it and said it wasn't a success. Which confused me a little because he said before the league table shows progress, trophies aren't everything or something like that.

wolvored

Top 4 and that was a bare minimum ask which ole achieved. I think next season will be a very big season. Cock it up with no trophies and can see the likes of Fernandes moving on then we will be even more up shit creek. Think prior to him coming. We will be back to that. No trophy and Ole should quit never mind wait for the sack.

wolvored

Ole himself reviewed it and said it wasn't a success. Which confused me a little because he said before the league table shows progress, trophies aren't everything or something like that.
Ole chats shit all the time says one thing one day then the opposite the next.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Probably best to think about this in a few days really. The dust has only just been delivered fresh from the dust factory by John Dust, who comes from a long line of dustmen.

Preliminarily though, it's been a disappointing season really. Covid played a role but that was the same for all clubs and it stings getting so close to the FA Cup and Europa League.

owlo

Manager getting too much of a free ride. Much appearance of improvement without any actual improvement. I still want him gone, though I recognise I'm now in a small minority.

jackal&hyde

On the right track in terms of progress and with obvious problems that must be addressed in the summer. We don't have the squad to compete on multiple fronts and that makes it impossible to rotate properly to be fresh at the end of the season.

Second and one penalty shoot out away from a trophy is more then most people predicted but that will not stop some to pretend like we underachieved. A better season then last and next has to be better then this.

Revan

Assumptionman
Very similar to the 2018 season in Jose’s 2nd season in terms of how it all panned out in the end

Comfortable 2nd place finish in the league but not exactly close in terms of a proper, serious title challenge

Embarrassing exit in the CL

Runners up in a cup final

A domestic cup quarter final exit
We won both Europa and the league cup that season, and had 6 more points in the league.

Nickelodeon

We won both Europa and the league cup that season, and had 6 more points in the league.
You're mixing two seasons. We finished second in 2017-18 and won Europa and League Cup (and finished 6th in the league) in 2016-17

SAFMUTD

Future looks bright we just need 4-5 world-class players that can make up for the lack of coaching and well be ready to compete.

Judas

Open to offers
Not good enough. We did well in the league in a season of underperforming by our top 4 rivals. We took advantage of their weakness, a positive, but what happens if they've all got their shit together next season?

I wanted a title push and a trophy, to go better than our league position of last season. We did the last one.

Mike Smalling

Man I hope we can pull off a good transfer window - otherwise next season will be more of the same.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not good enough. We did well in the league in a season of underperforming by our top 4 rivals. We took advantage of their weakness, a positive, but what happens if they've all got their shit together next season?

I wanted a title push and a trophy, to go better than our league position of last season. We did the last one.
I agree the season wasn't good enough, but don't really understand the rivals point. What happens if we improve? Or have you decided we won't.

Siorac

We made fun of LFC for having an awful season......We literally have nothing more to show for it than them.
And we finished a grand total of five points ahead of them, in a season where they basically didn't have a defence for half a season so they played midfielders there and consequently they didn't really have a midfield either. They failed to even score in like six consecutive home games - and we still barely finished ahead of them.

It's been a mediocre season. We achieved the minimum and nothing more. And as I keep saying: the results were generally better than the performances and it's worrying.

Judas

Open to offers
I agree the season wasn't good enough, but don't really understand the rivals point. What happens if we improve? Or have you decided we won't.
We need massively strengthening in key areas. If we get that we'll be up there again, but without it, and the others around us sorting themselves out, I don't really see how we better them, unless again they have their own issues holding them back.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We need massively strengthening in key areas. If we get that we'll be up there again, but without it, and the others around us sorting themselves out, I don't really see how we better them, unless again they have their own issues holding them back.
I agree, I think we will though to be fair. Even before this game, we've been linked with the players we've been calling for - we were even linked with the CB that just beat us!. This game did worry me about some people I wasn't overly concerned about though. I hope players we do sign kick some of the others on.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I still feel it's mostly 2 steps forward one step back which is not a bad thing as we will get there eventually. But I fear the mentality of the squad is still not good enough to be challenging for major trophies - far too many bottlers and those who hide when they need to be stood up to be counted.

dove

Ultimately it's another extremely mediocre season. We finished 2nd in the league which is alright even though our point tally is not great. Crashed out of CL groups, failed to be even close of winning domestic cups and managed to lose EL where we were clearly the strongest team. So results wise if we were as ambitious as Real Madrid, I don't think our coaching staff would survive that. But since we are not, we achieved a very bare minimum possibly imaginable.

The biggest problem is our on field performances. We pretty much never play well for an extended period of time and we can't start playing without conceding first. Does someone honestly remember the last time we had a good solid performance for 90 minutes? We usually have good 15 min spells where we look good but other than that we are painfully average and clueless. I know people love comebacks and I love it too but let's be honest here, they are not sustainable. As much as we have won something like 30 points from the losing positions in away games this season, once the fans are back it's more likely we are not winning majority of those games next season. If Liverpool and Chelsea get their shite together next season which I think is extremely possible they will, I think we are screwed.

RkkMan

5/10 season
An improved PL season but with nothing to show for. Embarrassing exit from the CL, another Semi Final bottled in the Carabao Cup, embarrassing loss in the FA Cup QF and EXTREMELY embarrassing loss in the EL final a competition we were clear favorites to win.
It's either we have a strong summer with a minimum 2 starting players at RW and CB(if we're serious a DM too) or we don't even bother showing up next season as it'll be more or less the same if not worse

BlackBen

Ole’s done a good job to set the right conditions to propel this team to the next level. He’s cleared the toxicity and created great squad harmony. The lads are in a better place mentally and Ole’s man management skills have been brilliant.

But this is where it ends with Ole! He’s taken this team as far as he can and we need to get in a manager who can win trophies. This team is on the cusp of being a real force to be reckoned with but it’ll depend on how seriously we take this transfer window and how willing the Glazers are to get this great club back to winning trophies. Their ambition would be hugely reflected both in the managerial and transfers decision they make this off season.

It has been an ok season. Poor start, great stuff in between and a very disappointing finish. 6 out of 10 for me.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This season gets a 6 out of 10 from me. Given the benchmark we had a distinctly average season. Not the worst but nothing remotely special.

Yes, we finished second. Second by double digits is hardly putting a marker down though. We may as well not got to the Europa League final given how we played.

The only person satisfied with it will be Joel Glazer. Finished top four twice in a row. No threat to the Addidas deal.

Sylar

Ole is clearly trying to copy klopp

Lose a Europa League final
Finish second
Back to back top4
So next season he will win the champions League :)

Ludens the Red

I’d give the season a 6/10. I gave last season a 7 but then I expected feck all last season. This year I thought we could win a trophy and finish top four.

Its fairly identical to our 2017/2018 season.
Not the most convincing 2nd placed finish and a really bad cup final defeat.

We’ve scored a total of six more goals than that season but had seven less points.

Ultimately this season was about winning a trophy. A club our size and the investment we make should not go four years without a trophy.
Chelsea down the years even in their poorer spells always seem to pull in a trophy or two.

I don’t expect the league or champions league but the Europa and FA Cup were very winnable over the last two seasons. Failing to win the Europa League this year is fairly unforgivable. Last year Sevilla and Inter were strong. This year we’ve played some absolute shite and the team we lost to in the final play a similar standard of football to stoke.

Siorac

Honestly, the brutal thing is that I still feel like most of our so-called progress is basically down to Bruno Fernandes. We have one of the most productive players in Europe but we're still only slightly better than the average post-Fergie United.