Engerland out - new team to support at this WC?

heub

yeah, looking back both 2002 and 2006 seem like clear wasted opportunities
1998 was also disappointing, with that Beckham-Simeone fiasco...

that doesnt makes any sense because you can find at least 3 teams at every world cup in terms of clear wasted opportunities.

heub

oh really? take a look at those english squads from 1998,2002 and 2006
TOP CLASS players in every position, especially in 1998

and not even a single feckin semifinal
yes that have been great teams. but we havent been the only one who underperfomed. just look at brazil 2006. what a team! fat ronaldo, ronaldinho, kaka, adriano, emerson, ze roberto, roberto carlos, juninho, lucio, cafu....

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
I don't really like any of the other teams. Wouldn't mind if the Dutch/France win it but hoping Chile at least make it to the semi finals.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I think I will be cheering for which ever team has a special player doing the business in any of the games played. For example if Pirlo puts in another great performance I will be cheering for him and then his team.

Darkziro

TOP CLASS players in every position ?? When was the last time England beat a real powerhouse ??

The moment England face a top 10 team its game over .
We did beat Argentina in the groups in 2002. Games against the top 10 are always going to be 50/50, tight affairs, normally one by the odd goal. like both our games so far, it's who ever takes the chances or who has the luck, one player doing something like making a run.

You could say the exact say thing for Portugal currently, great team but almost always lose when they meet another top 10 side. Normally only by the odd goal, or at best they will earn a 0-0 draw.

It's 50/50 in these games, mistakes, errors, luck play there part. Unless we are played of the park by every top 10 side we ever meet (which we are not). Then there is really no problem to be looked at.

RedRedWineOT

I'd like to see Portugal go far enough in the tourney so that I can watch a healthy Ronnie showing some magic. An Argie-Portugal meet in one of the later knock-out rounds would be nice.

ryan cook

Since Australia will be out after the Spain game, england were my "2nd" team to follow because of man united and I have a bit of English in me but since they are out as well, I guess its Germany because again, I have a tad of German in me

MoskvaRed

Chile would make a change if even most of the players look like gang members from Grand Theft Auto. I also wouldn't begrudge this generation of German players some silverware at last.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Since Austria does not participate at world Cups too often I always hope for England and Holland to win. However I do not see Holland Progress beyond the quarter finals.
RvP and Robben are outstanding and LvG is a tactical genius but that`s it more or less.

Rafateria

I would like to see a new team win this, a totally unexpected country, one playing attractive exciting football .... 1st choice : Chile. Longer shots Colombia, Costa Rica or Uruguay.

Definitely NOT : France, Italy, Germany or in fact any European team (though maybe I would not begrudge the NL a WC win because they have deserved it in other years). Though France have looked the best to date of the Euros.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Have a bet on Belgium to win, but considering our man LVG and Van Persie are doing such a great job for the dutch im also backing the Netherlands.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Doubt it. We beat them in a controversial world cup final and put five past them, not that long back. Scotland haven't done anything like that.

Wouldn't argue with the first bit, mind.
So? England is not even close in comparison to the Netherlands. We have stopped caring about '66 a long time ago, it's being stirred up by media now and again but nobody is really moved by it. Show Rijkaard on the Telly, however, and people start using cursewords. Not that we hate the dutch, but there is a lot more emotion involved.

The only people caring about a perceived English-German rivalry are the English. People here are generally positive about England's NT.

And as someone mentioned, the worst nightmare is Italy. Not a rivalry as such. They beat us every bloody time at a tournament. Parking the bus... bloody catenaccio.

Last edited:

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Frankly, England should have reached the semis back in 2006, it was our last clear chance, with the last high quality national team
"Should have" is something I see often in discussions about the English NT. :)

Moonred

Holland, it would benefit us in terms of attracting players. Easily one of the unlucky ones who seem to perennially choke at the final hurdle. I wouldn't mind them winning one.

Any of the underdogs would be amazing. Chile/Belgium/Croatia/Columbia each one of them aren't good enough on paper to lift the actual thing but this could be a world cup of fantasy if they do it and not many would be too disgruntled about this.

After this, Argentina with messi leading them would shut a lot of the football community who keeps banging on about his lack of international success.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
That's it for me. I'm going to spend the next 2 weeks catching up with Game of Thrones.

MoskvaRed

So? England is not even close in comparison to the Netherlands. We have stopped caring about '66 a long time ago, it's being stirred up by media now and again but nobody is really moved by it. Show Rijkaard on the Telly, however, and people start using cursewords. Not that we hate the dutch, but there is a lot more emotion involved.

The only people caring about a perceived English-German rivalry are the English. People here are generally positive about England's NT.

And as someone mentioned, the worst nightmare is Italy. Not a rivalry as such. They beat us every bloody time at a tournament. Parking the bus... bloody catenaccio.
True, but I thought most of us (English) had also given up this idea of a big rivalry with Germany, notwithstanding that twat at the Uruguay game with an inflatable Spitfire. Unfortunately, our rivals these days are mediocre Central and Eastern European teams that we try to qualify above....

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
I've been supporting Holland since the world cup started and have been more excited about seeing Van Gaal and RVP than I have about England.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
You miss the point. The gap between Germany/England, is about the same as the gap between England/Scotland. Yes we do better then Scotland, but Germany does a lot better then us.
I'm not missing it. I'm fundamentally disagreeing with it.

Raul Madrid

I would be happy to see Germany win the tournament. They always go very far and have a great record in recent tournaments (final 02, semis 06 and finished 3rd, final 08, semis 10 and finished 3rd and the semis 12) and have been unlucky at times. Since 2006 they have been the second best and most consistent team after spain. I know this isn't how football works but I think they deserve to win a big tournament due to how consistent and how far they have gone in all the tournaments. I think since 06 they have played great football too and regularly hammer teams and score lots of goals. If they don't win a tournament soon after how well they have played and how consistent they have been they might start to feel that they are cursed. But like Bayern showed in 2013, it is possible to go that one step further if you keep working hard and don't give up.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
True, but I thought most of us (English) had also given up this idea of a big rivalry with Germany, notwithstanding that twat at the Uruguay game with an inflatable Spitfire. Unfortunately, our rivals these days are mediocre Central and Eastern European teams that we try to qualify above....
On the bright side, we had a really, really bad tournament before we turned it around. It's no shame to go out in the group stages, it happened to the best of them. It would be a shame if your FA didn't do anything about it, though. English fans deserve better than knowing before the tournament that it's not going to end well. I mean from what I see, you guys don't even have any sort of hope going into a tournament.