England Cricket 2016/17 - Bangladesh, India & West Indies (ODI's only)

NinjaFletch

Well bowled by Woakes at the end and another good game.

We won a game finally!

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
That sucks. We lose, I switch the channel and Arsenal score. feck off.

If we can sort out our openers we have a good team.

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
Is that your best argument? :lol:

Since the start of 2016

Kohli : 13 games 924 runs 84 average 101 SR 4 100s 5 50s
ABDV: 11 games 339 runs 42 average 90 SR 1 100s 1 50s

As far as 'current' standing goes, it's not even close.
And yet I'd still pick AB.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
And yet I'd still pick AB.
Kohli is better than AB.

AB is fantastic and was, by the end of 2015, the best batsmen on the planet. However, recently, he has shown to not only be mentally weak (giving up the captaincy), but his form has dropped a lot. Injuries dont help, too. Regardless, he is a joy to watch and is far more destructive than Kohli.

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
You can pick whoever you want dude. Doesn't change the fact that right now, Kohli is the #1 ODI batsman.
Actually he isn't:
http://www.icc-cricket.com/player-rankings/mens-odi
Kohli is better than AB.

AB is fantastic and was, by the end of 2015, the best batsmen on the planet. However, recently, he has shown to not only be mentally weak (giving up the captaincy), but his form has dropped a lot. Injuries dont help, too. Regardless, he is a joy to watch and is far more destructive than Kohli.
Warner is ahead of Kohli in the ODI scene and was far better in 2016 as well for my mind

Kohli did well and yes I am well aware of his average, but he only played 10 innings or so, Warner played 23 and scored 1300+ runs in a single calendar year in ODI's. That is more than Kohli's famous 2011 year and Warner played 11 innings less.

ChrisNelson

First of 3 T20I's today. England won toss and decided to bowl first.

India 1 KL Rahul, 2 Virat Kohli (capt), 3 Suresh Raina, 4 Yuvraj Singh, 5 MS Dhoni (wk), 6 Manish Pandey, 7 Hardik Pandya, 8 Parvez Rasool, 9 Yuzvendra Chahal, 10 Ashish Nehra, 11 Jasprit Bumrah
England 1 Sam Billings, 2 Jason Roy, 3 Joe Root, 4 Eoin Morgan (capt), 5 Jos Buttler (wk), 6 Ben Stokes, 7 Moeen Ali, 8 Liam Plunkett, 9 Chris Jordan, 10 Tymal Mills, 11 Adil Rashid

T20I debut for Rasool, he's played 1 ODI before. Stats ok, not spectacular.

NinjaFletch

Yeah I know he's a great t20 opener, but I don't know if it's right for this India team?
Is he?

Depends what you're looking for in a T20 opener tbh. I think I'd rather have two players going out and having a thrash in the powerplay and then have Kohli coming in a touch later. I think there's too much responsibility on him to allow him to open up as much as others might at the start.

Skills

Snitch
Is he?

Depends what you're looking for in a T20 opener tbh. I think I'd rather have two players going out and having a thrash in the powerplay and then have Kohli coming in a touch later. I think there's too much responsibility on him to allow him to open up as much as others might at the start.
He was great in the IPL tbf. Record number of runs, centuries, etc. But he had AB de Villiers to come in after him, who could wreck carnage at any stage of the inning.

Maybe he should open 1st innings, and drop to 3 when chasing?

NinjaFletch

He was great in the IPL tbf. Record number of runs, centuries, etc. But he had AB de Villiers to come in after him, who could wreck carnage at any stage of the inning.

Maybe he should open 1st innings, and drop to 3 when chasing?
My memory is failing me, but did he exclusively open? Thought KL Rahul and Gayle both opened at times? Or did one of them drop to 3?

Either way its less about Kohli, who is good enough to score runs virtually everywhere, but about resource management. I just think sending a more aggressive opener in to the top 6 gives them more margin for error and a greater chance of getting a flying start whereas I'd pick Kohli to pick gaps throughout the middle overs that others couldn't.

Anyway, my point is I guess that my ideal opener is just more aggressive up top than Kohli (who I think they said has a strike rate of 110 in the powerplay) who can either build a platform for better cricketers (like Kohli) or, if they get out cheaply, allows the proper proper players to re-build.

Just think having your best batsman opening exposes them to more risks and doesn't provide a huge amount of reward.

prath92

there was zero need to bring in Pandey and Raina to this squad. Should have just persisted with in-form Jadhav. Neither of them are really good enough for India anymore.

Just play the same squad. Its hardly like we have urgent need to find a t20 team before the world cup anyway. Just see out this series and move on.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
For half a second Jordan had no idea how he was supposed to run the guy out with the stumps already broken.

MichaelKorleone

there was zero need to bring in Pandey and Raina to this squad. Should have just persisted with in-form Jadhav. Neither of them are really good enough for India anymore.

Just play the same squad. Its hardly like we have urgent need to find a t20 team before the world cup anyway. Just see out this series and move on.
Can be argued that Kohli's making the same mistake as in WI tour by going up a spot which suits neither him nor his team. He moved to #3 in tests to accommodate Rohit then and he's now moved to open in T20s to accommodate for Rohit's absence.

Also weird that Nehra plays ahead of IPL's best bowler Bhuvi. It was understandable last year when everyone assumed it was a short gamble prior to T20 WC. Doesn't make sense doing it now though

prath92

Can be argued that Kohli's making the same mistake as in WI tour by going up a spot which suits neither him nor his team. He moved to #3 in tests to accommodate Rohit then and he's now moved to open in T20s to accommodate for Rohit's absence.

Also weird that Nehra plays ahead of IPL's best bowler Bhuvi. It was understandable last year when everyone assumed it was a short gamble prior to T20 WC. Doesn't make sense doing it now though
Think Nehra was India's best t20 bowler over the year.

The problem is India's openers are out of form. Pandey has never impressed me and especially at this position, he is hardly that good even at IPL level.

MichaelKorleone

Think Nehra was India's best t20 bowler over the year.
Oh absolutely. He's taken a wicket in his first spell in most of those matches too. Just that India need to bring Bhuvi into the fold as Nehra's 36 already and India are not exactly preparing for any big T20 tournament round the corner, like they were last year.

The problem is India's openers are out of form. Pandey has never impressed me and especially at this position, he is hardly that good even at IPL level.
Despite failing in NZ series, Pandey should have been given a chance in Eng ODI series. He doesn't look like a big hitter capable of playing in T20s (not sure of his IPL record). With Rohit out and Dhawan continuing to be useless, India should have had that young lad (Ishan? Rishabh?) as an opener along with Rahul in T20s.

NinjaFletch

Oh absolutely. He's taken a wicket in his first spell in most of those matches too. Just that India need to bring Bhuvi into the fold as Nehra's 36 already and India are not exactly preparing for any big T20 tournament round the corner, like they were last year.

Despite failing in NZ series, Pandey should have been given a chance in Eng ODI series. He doesn't look like a big hitter capable of playing in T20s (not sure of his IPL record). With Rohit out and Dhawan continuing to be useless, India should have had that young lad (Ishan? Rishabh?) as an opener along with Rahul in T20s.
Rishabh Pant? Way, way too soon for him. He had, what, about 5 good games for Dehli last IPL.

NinjaFletch

I don't understand the logic of home umpires in the one format where teams don't have reviews. This team today are reminiscent of why they got rid of them in the first place.

NinjaFletch

The decision against Root has literally cost England the game.
He was batting like shit anyway. Hardly see how it would have made a difference. Umpiring's been crap, but England didn't bat well enough to win this from what I saw.