England Cricket 2016/17 - Bangladesh, India & West Indies (ODI's only)

TheGame

He was batting like shit anyway. Hardly see how it would have made a difference. Umpiring's been crap, but England didn't bat well enough to win this from what I saw.
England's best player still in the game with the last over, think it would have made a difference. But England should have batted better anyway. Throwing wickets away.

prath92

Oh absolutely. He's taken a wicket in his first spell in most of those matches too. Just that India need to bring Bhuvi into the fold as Nehra's 36 already and India are not exactly preparing for any big T20 tournament round the corner, like they were last year.
yeah true but I think Bhuvi is better off completing his rehab and returning for the IPL imo

Despite failing in NZ series, Pandey should have been given a chance in Eng ODI series. He doesn't look like a big hitter capable of playing in T20s (not sure of his IPL record). With Rohit out and Dhawan continuing to be useless, India should have had that young lad (Ishan? Rishabh?) as an opener along with Rahul in T20s.
he averages 25 with the bat with SR of 120. thats nothing impressive. his record with indian t20 side is even worse. also considering he cant bowl, its not really worth taking him in the squad for pure batting and particularly considering he will turn 28 this year.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The decisions by umpire Chettithody Shamshuddin to give Kohli not out and Root out was cheating and blatant bias in all honesty. He didn't want to be the Indian umpire who gave Kohli out in India and bottled it. With Root, he sees that India might actually lose the game and gives an absolute stinker of a decision to give Root out. England are going to take the umpiring up with last night's match referee and If i were England, i'd strongly suggest DRS for hit and giggle or you have neutral umpires. Home umpires in hit an giggle and the home umpire for 50 over games need to be made accountable for their decisions in particular those in favour of the home team and DRS would expose howlers in favour of the hosts by home umpires. Thank goodness the test series between India and Australia will have neutral umpires. Hopefully it has DRS too.

prath92

i would understand cries of cheating if there was one wicket left and if he hd been the last recognized batsman. buttler was also on the pitch and ali had come on too. the loss is nothing but bottling from england's pov. 8 from 5 is quite achievable for batsmen of this quality.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
i would understand cries of cheating if there was one wicket left and if he hd been the last recognized batsman. buttler was also on the pitch and ali had come on too. the loss is nothing but bottling from england's pov. 8 from 5 is quite achievable for batsmen of this quality.
That doesn't change the fact that England were on the wrong end of two disgraceful decisions, both of which were important. Kohli, India' best batsmen, out for seven might have had big implications for the match. If Root was given not out, England win, he's the in batsmen, he would have got the runs. As it was, the new batsmen had to get in on a pitch that wasn't easy to bat on yet also find a way to get 8 runs off 5 balls. As a rule, i almost never shine the focus on bad umpiring in a cricket match. The only other time i have done such a thing was the infamous Sydney test in 2008 where i couldn't bring myself to be happy Australia won.

NinjaFletch

England's best player still in the game with the last over, think it would have made a difference. But England should have batted better anyway. Throwing wickets away.
He'd faced about 2/3 dots in a row and then shanked two consecutive balls up in the air trying to hit a boundary. I'm not saying England definitely would have lost with him there, but he had ample time to win the game already by that point and I'm not convinced he would have made that much of a difference at the end.

That doesn't change the fact that England were on the wrong end of two disgraceful decisions, both of which were important. Kohli, India' best batsmen, out for seven might have had big implications for the match. If Root was given not out, England win, he's the in batsmen, he would have got the runs. As it was, the new batsmen had to get in on a pitch that wasn't easy to bat on yet also find a way to get 8 runs off 5 balls. As a rule, i almost never shine the focus on bad umpiring in a cricket match. The only other time i have done such a thing was the infamous Sydney test in 2008 where i couldn't bring myself to be happy Australia won.
I think the problem is that these sort of things are still happening. There were two big calls that were obviously wrong and went in favour of India (Kohli and Root) and one that looked a howler in realtime but Hawkeye had clipping the bails (which might have made it umpires call, but I still think was a really bad decision - the umpire just got lucky that there was extra bounc) on Yuvraj.

Now maybe that is a coincidence, maybe its subconscious, maybe its cheating, but either way its problematic. When the technology is there to take bias/incompetence out of the game, and in a format you very regularly see two umpires from the host country like yesterday, its downright dumb not to use it.

VanGaalEra

The decisions by umpire Chettithody Shamshuddin to give Kohli not out and Root out was cheating and blatant bias in all honesty. He didn't want to be the Indian umpire who gave Kohli out in India and bottled it. With Root, he sees that India might actually lose the game and gives an absolute stinker of a decision to give Root out. England are going to take the umpiring up with last night's match referee and If i were England, i'd strongly suggest DRS for hit and giggle or you have neutral umpires. Home umpires in hit an giggle and the home umpire for 50 over games need to be made accountable for their decisions in particular those in favour of the home team and DRS would expose howlers in favour of the hosts by home umpires. Thank goodness the test series between India and Australia will have neutral umpires. Hopefully it has DRS too.
Completely agree, it was home umpiring at its finest.

Even without the inside edge, it was an identical delivery to the Kohli one, so how does the same umpire justify giving one out and one not out, in the same game just a few hours apart.

Have neutral umpires and DRS throughout Cricket.

VanGaalEra

I agree with this but can't believe it's being considered cheating. Do you really believe the umpires are as unprofessional and corrupt as that? Making mistakes is not cheating.
It was basically the same decision and his decision differed on both occasions. Was like the old days of home umpiring.

NinjaFletch

I agree with this but can't believe it's being considered cheating. Do you really believe the umpires are as unprofessional and corrupt as that? Making mistakes is not cheating.
Indian umpires making decisions that favour India, and not giving out popular Indian players is always going to look bad.

Its why neutral umpires were introduced in the first place. Even if it was just two genuinely bad decisions it leaves the umpire open to these sort of accusations.

Akshay

Staff
It was basically the same decision and his decision differed on both occasions. Was like the old days of home umpiring.
We see referees in the PL do this kind of thing week in, week out though. Different sport and all that but no one reasonably can believe the officials are cheating.

If DRS was available it gets used and no one would even talk about it after the game. Blame the system (and BCCI) not the umpires.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
It's more how it's perceived. A neutral umpire making a bad decision is viewed as such and nothing more. A home town umpire making a bad decision in favour of the home team could be viewed with more cynicism. The Kohli 'not out' stunk of an Indian umpire not brave enough to give India's hero out in India. That same umpire gave Root out when he shouldn't have. If Root had been given not out, England would have had a better chance to get the 8 runs required for to win.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I get wanting to make T20 quick but having one or two reviews wouldn't really hold things up much. I mean that particular dismissal was obvious just from a slo mo replay even before the snickometer.

It's one sport I think you can't begrudge umpires getting help, it's incredibly difficult to see sometimes in real time, even for top umpires.

NinjaFletch

I get wanting to make T20 quick but having one or two reviews wouldn't really hold things up much. I mean that particular dismissal was obvious just from a slo mo replay even before the snickometer.

It's one sport I think you can't begrudge umpires getting help, it's incredibly difficult to see sometimes in real time, even for top umpires.
Especially as that argument only seems to be used for DRS referrals by teams.

If thats the opposition to using the tech in T20 then why does every run out decision get referred (even when its absolutely blatant and the umpire should just make a damn decision), and almost every wicket get checked for a no-ball?

Akshay

Staff
It's more how it's perceived. A neutral umpire making a bad decision is viewed as such and nothing more. A home town umpire making a bad decision in favour of the home team could be viewed with more cynicism. The Kohli 'not out' stunk of an Indian umpire not brave enough to give India's hero out in India. That same umpire gave Root out when he shouldn't have. If Root had been given not out, England would have had a better chance to get the 8 runs required for to win.
I agree the officiating arrangements and lack of technology leave the umpires open to that criticism from the media etc. Just that it shouldn't be made without more evidence than two bad decisions.

Moby

Dick
and almost every wicket get checked for a no-ball?
That's the most annoying thing, it's in ODIs as well. Have the umpires basically stopped looking at the bowler's foot before the delivery that they don't know whether it's a no ball or not. Batsmen being asked to wait while that's being checked after every dismissal, absolutely shambolic.

LungiDevil

Not this again. The idea that an individual is willing to sacrifice his umpiring career so his country could win a meaningless T20. Was he doing a piss poor job? Yes. Should there be DRS? Yes. Did the umpire deliberately cheat? Not on the basis of available information.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but be sure it is not well grounded.

Edited: For grammar.

VanGaalEra

We see referees in the PL do this kind of thing week in, week out though. Different sport and all that but no one reasonably can believe the officials are cheating.

If DRS was available it gets used and no one would even talk about it after the game. Blame the system (and BCCI) not the umpires.
In the PL, imagine a United supporting ref not giving a handball against United and then giving United a penalty for the exact same situation. Would be dodgy as hell.

ChrisNelson

Deciding T20I today. England have won the toss and elected to field.

India Team
RR Pant, KL Rahul, V Kohli*, SK Raina, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni†, HH Pandya, A Mishra, JJ Bumrah, A Nehra, YS Chahal

England Team
JJ Roy, SW Billings, JE Root, EJG Morgan*, BA Stokes, JC Buttler†, MM Ali, CJ Jordan, LE Plunkett, TS Mills, AU Rashid

Debut for Pant and Cricinfo describes him "For those of you who don't know of him yet, Rishabh Pant is a 19-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman who has just come off a Ranji Trophy season scoring 972 runs at 81.00, a strike rate (in four-day cricket!) of 107.28, and four hundreds, including a 48-ball hundred and a triple-hundred"

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
"For those of you who don't know of him yet, Rishabh Pant is a 19-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman who has just come off a Ranji Trophy season scoring 972 runs at 81.00, a strike rate (in four-day cricket!) of 107.28, and four hundreds, including a 48-ball hundred and a triple-hundred"
fecking hell. That's one hell of a resume with which to make a debut!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why is Kohli opening the batting? Seems like a self-imposed double whammy. Not only is he risking his wicket because he feels obliged to attack from the word go but it's also a waste of resources later in the innings (with him being the best batsman in the format). I don't think Kohli at no. 3 would have attempted that daft run.

Moby

Dick
Why is Kohli opening the batting? Seems like a self-imposed double whammy. Not only is he risking his wicket because he feels obliged to attack from the word go but it's also a waste of resources later in the innings (with him being the best batsman in the format). I don't think Kohli at no. 3 would have attempted that daft run.
It's bullshit.

One thing to open for RCB when you have AB De Villiers still to come but India needs him at 3.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Probably because he feels the openers are rubbish. That's why he began to open for RCB to begin with. Given our openers are garbage more often than not it makes very little difference whether he's at 3 or opening. How many times did he stride in early even at 3?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Unfortunately can't watch this. Are there runs on this wicket for England? Or is this score too big already?

ChrisNelson

I think Yuvraj just took the game and series away from England! Can't see us chasing 10 an over given our tendency to choke, especially not in the pressure cooker atmosphere of the sub-continent.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Probably because he feels the openers are rubbish. That's why he began to open for RCB to begin with. Given our openers are garbage more often than not it makes very little difference whether he's at 3 or opening. How many times did he stride in early even at 3?
It makes a significant psychological difference. As an opener he feels he has to force the issue. At 3 a wicket has just fallen which makes him value his own wicket higher. He eases his way into the innings and backs himself to score big (and quick) by playing risk-free cricket.

sport2793

I think Yuvraj just took the game and series away from England! Can't see us chasing 10 an over given our tendency to choke, especially not in the pressure cooker atmosphere of the sub-continent.
Mate have you ever watched the IPL? 202 is definitely a chaseable target, especially at Bangalore. That stadium probably has the most batting friendly pitch on the planet.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
It makes a significant psychological difference. As an opener he feels he has to force the issue. At 3 a wicket has just fallen which makes him value his own wicket higher. He eases his way into the innings and backs himself to score big (and quick) by playing risk-free cricket.
Nah I'm not buying that. The way he plays either opening or at 3 is incredibly similar. You could say he's under more pressure for India but the sample size isn't nearly enough to make any judgement yet.

This is probably academic in any case. Rohit will slot in once he returns.