England Cricket 2016 - Sri Lanka & Pakistan

ChrisNelson

Squad: AN Cook (captain), MM Ali, JM Anderson, JM Bairstow, JT Ball, SCJ Broad, NRD Compton, ST Finn, AD Hales, JE Root, BA Stokes, JM Vince.

Nice to see them trying new things, 2 uncapped players. Real shame that we won't see James Taylor in an England shirt again. Personally I would have moved on from Compton but will see how he goes.

A couple of very winnable series' against Sri Lanka (ranked 7th) and Pakistan (3rd) who although they are ranked one place above England should be beatable in English conditions. We messed up in Dubai at the end of last year so feel like we owe them.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Ball's an interesting one. There'll be a few bowlers wondering what they did to get behind him in the pecking order, I suspect. His first class stats are good, though (his limited overs ones, not so much) but then bowling for Notts is about as easy as life comes as a cricketer - at home it always swings and if you can't get someone out one of the other very good bowlers usually will.

Agree on Taylor. Had hopes for him in Test and ODI cricket. I suppose Sam Robson is the one you'd argue over Compton... Think I would've gone Robson, personally.

As for the opposition - yeah, we should beat them easily. We're a better test team than either of them and we're at home and we play in the most alien conditions to theirs.

Boycott

I would have gone with Robson. Neither he or Compton are fluent batsmen but Robson has age on his side to develop his game whereas this is as good as you'll get from Compton. His county season has started poorly too whereas Robson has three centuries already.

As for the opposition - yeah, we should beat them easily. We're a better test team than either of them and we're at home and we play in the most alien conditions to theirs.
Agree. With respect I think this is a time for our batting line up to fill their boots. If someone like Hales fails again you have to question his ability at this level.

NinjaFletch

Ball's an odd one. He's taken wickets this summer so fair play, but I can't see how anyone who's watched him can think he has the pace to trouble international batsman on a regular basis or is a better bowler than Chris Woakes who seems to have taken over from James Taylor as the most messed around England cricketer.

Overall pretty happy, Hales wouldn't have been my first choice but deserves another chance and would have had Ballance in too, other than that, can't complain.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Not really sure what to make of the batting at 2,3 and 5. Got a feeling Bell will get wheeled out before the summer. Is Bairstow going to bat at 7 and Vince at 5? Is Amir allowed to tour here or not?

TheGame

Cannot believe there is no test recall for Sam Robson, he has been in great form although I understand why Vince is getting his chance, really good player in all formats of the game. Not really seen Ball in action so will have to see how that goes.

TheGame

Ball's an odd one. He's taken wickets this summer so fair play, but I can't see how anyone who's watched him can think he has the pace to trouble international batsman on a regular basis or is a better bowler than Chris Woakes who seems to have taken over from James Taylor as the most messed around England cricketer.

Overall pretty happy, Hales wouldn't have been my first choice but deserves another chance and would have had Ballance in too, other than that, can't complain.
I think Ballance is the long term answer for England for the No3 spot but his form so far in the County season has been poor so it was right not to select him.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Regarding Amir, can't see why he can't tour here.
'Under the UK's immigration laws a person who has been convicted and served time in a UK jail or been deported cannot be issued a visa at least until 10 years after his sentencing.'

NinjaFletch

That seems likely although Vince is usually an opener.

Regarding Amir, can't see why he can't tour here.
If he was a normal person, and not an athlete, he wouldn't get one. Can't see why the rules should be different for him just because he's famous.

I think Ballance is the long term answer for England for the No3 spot but his form so far in the County season has been poor so it was right not to select him.
I thought he'd had a hundred and a couple of fifties, but looks like the hundred was in a warmup game. Yeah, hasn't done enough to force himself back in.

TheGame

If he was a normal person, and not an athlete, he wouldn't get one. Can't see why the rules should be different for him just because he's famous.
I was more referring to the fact that he is playing international cricket again so will be able to come but understand from post above, he might not be able to now. Agree with you that rules need to apply to everyone.

ArmchairCritic

Shame, would have liked to Wahab and Amir in tandem at full tilt, would definitely help us figure out who is worth their mettle.

NinjaFletch

I was more referring to the fact that he is playing international cricket again so will be able to come but understand from post above, he might not be able to now. Agree with you that rules need to apply to everyone.
The only possible mitigation he may have is that he has married a British national in the last couple of years, but he was also denied a Visa in 2014 as well so who knows?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Sri Lanka win toss and bowl. Looks a very good morning for bowling.

Unsurprisingly, Ball is the one who misses out for England.

NinjaFletch

What's that? TMS is available on youtube, but unavailable in Australia.
Basically just tricks the website (in this case youtube) into thinking your accessing the website from wherever they're not blocking it. Hola Unblocker would probably do the job (if its still free, I'm not sure).

Or theres streams in the reddit comments thread if you'd rather just watch.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Don't use peer-to-peer shit like Hola. You browse through other people's internet connection and they browse through yours. You can find yourself in deep trouble if someone does illegal activities through your connection.

Boycott

BBC will be showing in-play highlights on their site (UK only)

paulscholes18

Someone needs to give Hales his ODI kit, he played beautifully vs South Africa in the ODI series (2 100s and 3 50s)

NinjaFletch

Someone needs to give Hales his ODI kit, he played beautifully vs South Africa in the ODI series (2 100s and 3 50s)
I don't think he's doing much wrong here tbh. There's a little bit in it for the bowlers and he's been reasonably compact. He'll probably get caught at mid on going for a slog, but he's doing a passable impression of a test opener at the minute.

Boycott

I don't think he's doing much wrong here tbh. There's a little bit in it for the bowlers and he's been reasonably compact. He'll probably get caught at mid on going for a slog, but he's doing a passable impression of a test opener at the minute.
Hasn't used his feet well to get into a full stride but I'm hoping it's just early nerves.

NinjaFletch

Michael Atherton complaining about the ECB not doing exactly what they have done.

paulscholes18

Hasn't used his feet well to get into a full stride but I'm hoping it's just early nerves.
Marcus Trescothick was very much a stand and deliver batsman, don't need great footwork to be a great batsman.

Hits 11 off the over so the RR goes just over 2. New breed of cricket :wenger:

Boycott

Marcus Trescothick was very much a stand and deliver batsman, don't need great footwork to be a great batsman.

Hits 11 off the over so the RR goes just over 2. New breed of cricket :wenger:
Trescothick was a classical stroke-player. Hales is a basher like Warner except Hales hasn't translated his FC/ODI play into tests.

Boycott

That was a good delivery. Root coming in at two down for little yet again.

NinjaFletch

I don't think thats a particularly good ball to Compton, could and should have left it alone.

Trescothick was a classical stroke-player. Hales is a basher like Warner except Hales hasn't translated his FC/ODI play into tests.
I know thats the impression he gives off because he rose to prominence through T20 cricket (where he is a hitter) but I've never thought of Hales as a particularly extravagant shot maker in the longer formats. Even in the ODI side he's more than happy to toddle along at a run a ball and let others get after the bowling.

Boycott

Compton's in no form whatsoever for Middlesex so he'll need a big second innings now. Doesn't have a lot of friends in the media so they'll be jumping on him again.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Looks a very ordinary Srilanka side, especially the batting. I'd have thought this would be a great chance for the batting to pile on the runs. Even 250 odd would put great pressure on them I reckon.

Not watching the game. Who's this Shanaka guy? Spinner?

ArmchairCritic

Looks a very ordinary Srilanka side, especially the batting. I'd have thought this would be a great chance for the batting to pile on the runs. Even 250 odd would put great pressure on them I reckon.

A spinner taking 3 wickets this early in a Headingley test? No chance, medium paced seamer who pitches them up.

Boycott

Medium-fast. Bowling full length, bit of movement, nagging away at the batsmen. Perfect for English conditions by the looks of it.