England Cricket Summer 17 - South Africa & West Indies

ChrisNelson

Thought it time for a new thread as with previous series' and ready for the first Test today. England have won the toss and elected to bat.

England: Cook, Jennings, Ballance, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Dawson, Broad, Wood, Anderson
South Africa: Kuhn, Elgar, Amla, Duminy, Bavuma, de Bruyn, de Kock, Philander, Maharaj, Rabada, Morkel

Root has said he had a big say in the team so if Ballance fails again I expect him to take this on the chin.
South Africa aren't the team they were but there's still talent there, I think Rabada for one could go on to become one of the greats but I think England should edge this series.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Can't wait to see average run rates of 2 per over after all this limited over stuff :drool:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Not entirely sure three all rounders is really necessary. I guess they must think Dawson's as good as any other spinner. Which shows we still don't have one.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Not entirely sure three all rounders is really necessary. I guess they must think Dawson's as good as any other spinner. Which shows we still don't have one.
Come on mate we are England we don't need spin we just need to throw it hard onto the seam :D

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ballance's final chance?

He's doing great at county level, but I don't think he has the temperament for test cricket.

ChrisNelson

Haven't watched test cricket in ages, how are England's chances for this series?
Good in theory. Their best batsman AB de Villiers and best bowler Steyn (although I rate Rabada very highly) are both absent. I still think Cook will score a lot of runs without the burden of captaincy (although as I type he's just got out for 3). When they bat they will have a debutant walking out - Heino Kuhn who although he averages over 45 in FC cricket is 33 years old and that shows the lack of real class coming through at the moment.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
There we go. Pitching outside. I thought it was swinging back to miss the stumps too.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I'm surprised the umpire gave it to be honest, my first thoughts were not out.

DOTA

I'm surprised the umpire gave it to be honest, my first thoughts were not out.
Yeah, I think that's a pretty poor decision from the umpire.

Reddevildans

Really poor from ballance there. I thought straight away there was enough doubt there and it should have been ballance influencing jennings to review.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Poor decision. Shows you need more reviews.
MORE reviews?! You've got 2 unsuccessful reviews in the first 80 overs, then 2 more for the remainder of the innings. That's more than enough. Test cricket is slow enough as it is, the last thing it needs is more reviews which will lead to people reviewing just for the sake of it and wasting even more time.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
MORE reviews?! You've got 2 unsuccessful reviews in the first 80 overs, then 2 more for the remainder of the innings. That's more than enough. Test cricket is slow enough as it is, the last thing it needs is more reviews which will lead to people reviewing just for the sake of it and wasting even more time.
Think I agree with you there. Today wasn't caused by lack of reviews. More lack of experience. Most of our first impressions were pitching outside and missing the stumps. The batsman on the pitch should know it was close enough to be worth the shot.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why the feck you wouldn't review given the fact that you're not losing reviews for umpires call anymore? Stupid decision.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why the feck you wouldn't review given the fact that you're not losing reviews for umpires call anymore? Stupid decision.
Have they made that change already, I thought it was to be implemented in Oct?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I think all ICC protocol changes happen at the end of September.

KM

Oh alright cheers guys, Not so stupid decision then.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Oh alright cheers guys, Not so stupid decision then.
Still think it wasn't a great decision mind, pitching outside and moving away from stumps. Had to be worth a look.

Suppose it's easy for us to say.

KM

Still think it wasn't a great decision mind, pitching outside and moving away from stumps. Had to be worth a look.

Suppose it's easy for us to say.
Yeah true, both of them are relatively new to test cricket too. The pressure of not losing a review for the team in early overs also might have been a factor.

KM

That looks plumb to me.

KM

So they don't review Jennings but review this :lol:

DOTA

Not sure this is worth a review...

paulscholes18

How many times have England lost 3 wickets before 50 runs scored in the last few years

KM

This England team selection deserve to lose. So much talent, such a passive selection.