England Deserve To Win The Euros (a pragmatic case)

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Yes, and before anyone gets offended: Italy also deserve to win the Euros.

The two best teams are in the final having shown skill, determination and class along the way. However I believe there is a special case for England deserving to win the Euros. England: home of the beautiful game, has long toiled away at the coalface of competitive international football, and since 1966 our efforts have gone largely unrewarded. We have been denied success quite literally by the hands of our opponent, we have repeatedly fallen prey to the art of Argentinian maleficium , we have seen a Golden Generation spun back into straw. We can not catch a break. And yet we have continued to rise from these setbacks. We as a country have suffered a torrid last 18 months and this win would really help buoy the country ahead of Freedom Day. In the home stadium with the fans in attendance and the country behind the boys I believe we can do it, but further to that: we deserve to do it!

This thread is not meant to be arrogant but is meant to express a positive sentiment in support of the country, born out of looking at the evidence. (I shouldn't have to say this but I know there is a lot of anti-English bitterness flying about at the moment).

Anyway whoever wins on Sunday will be deserving of the victory (but it's hard to argue against the fact that England deserve it just a teeny bit more.;))

Good luck to both teams.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The two finalists deserve to win the competition. Thanks Michael Owen.

stw2022

Both teams deserve to win. Most finalists do. Anyone arguing differently is salt and bullshit

Deery

Dreary
To be fair Italy have suffered a worse 18 months during the pandemic.

And they’ve played the better football and beat the better teams one being first in the world.

Eurotrash

England deserve to win yes.

Some English laser-pointing, anthem booing ”supporters” don’t deserve to win though.

Classical Mechanic

To be fair Italy have suffered a worse 18 months during the pandemic.

And they’ve played the better football and beat the better teams one being first in the world.
Not the better teams in the competition though. Denmark and Portugal outplayed Belgium who, and I hate to use this phrase, were the most overrated team in the competiton relative to their performances.

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2021/...ls-em-danmark-1-2-diables-rouges-match-stats/

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2021/...ected-goals-diables-rouges-selecao-shots-map/

If you want to get into daft arguments then England comfortably handled Croatia whilst Spain went life and death with them. Czech Republic were also easily handled by England but then went on to knockout Holland and gave Denmark a close game in the quarter finals.

Either way I think that the two best teams in the tournament have made the final no matter how you slice and dice it and while Italy will be favourites for many I think it will be a tight game.

Last edited:

Pickle85

not since they cheat their way to the final, you deserve to be sent home, preferably by a blatant dive in the last 96th minute
Aren't England already home?! Anyway, I think both will be sent home after the final, unless the Italians are sticking around to absorb some wonderful English, culture, cuisine and history. Couldn't blame them for that, mind. Once you have fish and chips once, you're hooked. I'm reliably informed that's why Rafa still lives here.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
England deserve to win yes.

Some English laser-pointing, anthem booing ”supporters” don’t deserve to win though.
I’ve been at 2 Italy games. They’ve booed the opposition anthem both times… particularly the Spanish.

When did this become the litmus test for bad supporting?

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Not the better reams in the competition though. Denmark and Portugal outplayed Belgium who, and I hate to use this phrase, were the most overrated team in the competiton relative to their performances.

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2021/...ls-em-danmark-1-2-diables-rouges-match-stats/

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2021/...ected-goals-diables-rouges-selecao-shots-map/

If you want to get into daft arguments then England comfortably handled Croatia whilst Spain went life and death with them. Czech Republic were also easily handled by England but then went on to knockout Holland and gave Denmark a close game in the quarter finals.

Either way I think that the two best teams in the tournament have made the final no matter how you slice and dice it and while Italy will be favourites for many I think it will be a tight game.
Belgium beat both Denmark and Portugal your reasoning is majorly flawed.

Italy beat Switzerland 3-0 who knocked out world champions France.

The whole world can see Italy have played the better football but whatever fill your boots with what you want to believe.

Pickle85

The whole world can see Italy have played the better football but whatever fill your boots with what you want to believe.
'better'is entirely subjective. Usually the better football is the one played by the winner, so I guess we'll get a more definitive answer on this on Sunday.

GazTheLegend

not since they cheat their way to the final, you deserve to be sent home, preferably by a blatant dive in the last 96th minute
I think you will find quite a few occasions in history where teams have cheated to win against England. If you can't think of any, maybe Ronaldo and Rooney can help you out. Or we could give you a hand.

So you will forgive quite a few England fans for their crocodile tears

Classical Mechanic

Belgium smashed and grabbed their way past Denmark and Portugal. If England conceded 47 shots and returned 12 with a total xG 1.04 whilst their opponents had 4 over the course of two games people like you would be claiming they fluked their way through the tournament. Have some standards.

Interval

Level
Jeez. Like sure, I'd prefer England to win. But they don't deserve anything. Everyone has had a torrid 18 months and thinking that you deserve to win this because you'll have been crap for last 20-30 years is pretty much why many neutrals get annoyed with English fans. And yes, id say the same to Portuguese or Spanish or Italian folks who believe the same about their nation.

Classical Mechanic

Jeez. Like sure, I'd prefer England to win. But they don't deserve anything. Everyone has had a torrid 18 months and thinking that you deserve to win this because you'll have been crap for last 20-30 years is pretty much why many neutrals get annoyed with English fans. And yes, id say the same to Portuguese or Spanish or Italian folks who believe the same about their nation.
Agree with this. Noone 'deserves' anything. Not Denmark because of Eriksen or any other team because of any other reason. They have to go out and win it end of.

Having said that I think @dumbo is trolling.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Reading stories in the Danish media this morning about how English fans harassed and physically attacked Danish fans after the game, including a group spitting on a little girl, I reckon you deserve squat. From the reports, it wasn't just isolated incidents but quite pervasive.

Deery

Dreary
Belgium smashed and grabbed their way past Denmark and Portugal. If England conceded 47 shots and returned 12 with a total xG 1.04 whilst their opponents had 4 over the course of two games people like you would be claiming they fluked their way through the tournament. Have some standards.
Kevin DeBruyne came on and totally destroyed the Danes and the Portugal match the beat the reigning repeat REIGNING champions with a fantastic goal, but again believe that England beating Ukraine and Czech Republic are massive achievements..

Classical Mechanic

Reading stories in the Danish media this morning about how English fans harassed and physically attacked Danish fans after the game, including a group spitting on a little girl, I reckon you deserve squat. From the reports, it wasn't just isolated incidents but quite pervasive.
Whilst this is inexcusable behaviour to claim that it was pervasive sounds like utter nonsense. It actually seems like it was isolated incidents. How many tens of thousands of England fans were celebrating 100k plus at least? How many incidents would it actually take for it to be 'pervasive' in your estimation?

At least the lady in the incident you reference is more philosophical about the matter

“We’re hoping to persuade our kid to root for England on Sunday. One night of idiocy won’t undo 6 years of lovely friends and neighbours.

Classical Mechanic

Kevin DeBruyne came on and totally destroyed the Danes and the Portugal match the beat the reigning repeat REIGNING champions with a fantastic goal, but again believe that England beating Ukraine and Czech Republic are massive achievements..
They 'smashed and grabbed' their way past those team which requires a big riding of 'luck', that's a fact. They were highly unlikely to win a tournament playing like they were which was relying on their opponent to miss countless chances whilst relying on a star player to pull them out of a hole with a spectacular goal.

Anyway, you're obviously entitled to your opinion on it which differs from mine so lets leave it there.

Deery

Dreary
They 'smashed and grabbed' their way past those team which requires a big riding of 'luck', that's a fact. They were highly unlikely to win a tournament playing like they were which was relying on their opponent to miss countless chances whilst relying on a star player to pull them out of a hole with a spectacular goal.

Anyway, you're obviously entitled to your opinion on it which differs from mine so lets leave it there.
Fair enough it’s too early in the morning for getting into arguments about who’s had the easier ride, people will be making Italy favourites but also forgetting that the premier league bossed the champions league and is arguably the strongest league in the world were all but two I think England players are chosen from so I 100% wouldn’t be surprised to see England lift it either.

Classical Mechanic

Fair enough it’s too early in the morning for getting into arguments about who’s had the easier ride, people will be making Italy favourites but also forgetting that the premier league bossed the champions league and is arguably the strongest league in the world were all but two I think England players are chosen from so I 100% wouldn’t be surprised to see England lift it either.
No worries. If we're talking in football terms I'd have Italy as favourites because of the midfield superiority but I do feel that them being a proactive side whilst we're better being a reactive side because of that deficit in midfield, along with it being at Wembley, evens it out a bit.

Personally I wouldn't like to call it.

Lentwood

England haven't lost a game, haven't conceded a goal in open play and have beaten teams ranked 10th, 12th, 14th and 24th in world football.

It's certainly difficult to argue they DONT deserve to win it

Deery

Dreary
No worries. If we're talking in football terms I'd have Italy as favourites because of the midfield superiority but I do feel that them being a proactive side whilst we're better being a reactive side because of that deficit in midfield, along with it being at Wembley, evens it out a bit.

Personally I wouldn't like to call it.
Yeah I’d agree with the midfield it’s England’s biggest weakness, I think Insigne will be a big player come Sunday if Italy are playing proactive he seems to link the midfield and attack very well.

Mike Smalling

Yeah, reading the story on DR made me quite sad. As you say, it doesn't sound that isolated. If you combine that with the booing of the national anthem and the laser, it's fair to say the English fans haven't covered themselves in glory as hosts.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Aren't England already home?! Anyway, I think both will be sent home after the final, unless the Italians are sticking around to absorb some wonderful English, culture, cuisine and history. Couldn't blame them for that, mind. Once you have fish and chips once, you're hooked. I'm reliably informed that's why Rafa still lives here.
The fact that your pride of nation is a fecking fried fish and chips in some toilet paper speaks volume.

(just kidding, i love you guys)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think you will find quite a few occasions in history where teams have cheated to win against England. If you can't think of any, maybe Ronaldo and Rooney can help you out. Or we could give you a hand.

At least the argies didn't pretend it wasn't a hand of god

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I don’t think England would be in the final if they had Italy’s route. Can’t see them beating both Belgium and Spain.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

I’m not sure the time Rooney stamped on a players balls and Ronaldo rightly protested to the referee and then possibly winked at someone in some nondescript direction really counts as cheating tbh

Pickle85

The fact that your pride of nation is a fecking fried fish and chips in some toilet paper speaks volume.

(just kidding, i love you guys)
:lol: :lol: :lol: don't forget the dried out hunk of beef, weird stodgy 'puddings' and salt overload gravy lake that is our other national dish!

GazTheLegend

I’m not sure the time Rooney stamped on a players balls and Ronaldo rightly protested to the referee and then possibly winked at someone in some nondescript direction really counts as cheating tbh
I don't know man, teams regularly kick the shit out of England players and when they're sent off for reacting there's always this "oh he shouldn't have reacted!" but I honestly think if I could reach through the internet and stamp on people's balls for posts I'd probably have been sent off from Redcafe way too many times like Beckham or Rooney or whoever.

KingCavani

Of course they'll deserve it if they win.

If they lose badly questions will be asked about the fortune of the draw like they were in the World Cup but I doubt they will.

JB7

I’ve been at 2 Italy games. They’ve booed the opposition anthem both times… particularly the Spanish.

Welcome to 2021, the world likes to be offended by most things that have happened over the last 50+ years.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

It’s always been the case to be fair, I don’t give a shit if the Welsh anthem is booed, but booing national anthems has always been heavily frowned upon, it’s not being chastised just because it’s the English doing it, it’s because it’s a wankerish thing to do