England Discussion | Finish 4th

RedDevilRoshi

My feelings

Beat Panama 2-0
Draw with Tunisia 0-0
Lose to Belgium 3-1

Go out by goal difference in the group.

I’ve gone with the following:

Beat Tunisia 2-1 in a very scrappy game, last minute goal - Questions start getting asked after a very poor performance despite the last minute win.

Beat Panama 3-0 - whole media starts jumping on the bandwagon that you are going to win it this year because you’ve just beaten the mighty Panama and scraped through a last minute win against Tunisia on MD1. Two wins from two and you are in the knockout rounds.

Lose to Belgium 2-0 and miss out on winning the group. The media calm the storm down by stating they are through and GS will get it right for the knockout rounds.

Meet Poland in the round of 16 with a potential QF tie against Germany in waiting. Whole approach by the media towards this game is just show up and we will win (bit like Euro 2016 against Iceland) Bigger fish to fry with the Germans in the quarters. Poland win 2-1 and the whole world just laughs at England yet again for being the biggest bottlers in major tournaments yet again.

Last edited:

Thiagoal

I'm feeling strangely optimistic! Been impressed with how Southgate is turning England into a more possession based side which seems to have good togetherness! His own experiences of major tournaments bodes well also.

Maybe the lack of world elite stars in the squad will play into our hands and create a unity? Semi-finals is my prediction! Come on ENGLAND!!

Reactions: Penna

Josep Dowling

I’ve gone with the following:

Beat Tunisia 2-1 in a very scrappy game, last minute goal - Questions start getting asked after a very poor performance despite the last minute win.

Beat Panama 3-0 - whole media starts jumping on the bandwagon that you are going to win it this year because you’ve just beaten the mighty Panama and scraped through a last minute win against Tunisia on MD1. Two wins from two and you are in the knockout rounds.

Lose to Belgium 2-0 and miss out on winning the group. The media calm the storm down by stating they are through and GS will get it right for the knockout rounds.

Meet Poland in the round of 16 with a potential QF tie against Germany in waiting. Whole approach by the media towards this game is just show up and we will win (bit like Euro 2016 against Iceland) Bigger fish to fry with the Germans in the quarters. Poland win 2-1 and the whole world just laughs at England yet again for being the biggest bottlers in major tournaments yet again.
Slightly more positive than me :lol:

caid

They really should make the quarter finals but would be likely to face Germany or Brazil there and I don't think this side has the quality or experience to beat either.
They'd be doing well to get past Columbia or Poland tbh. Both have decent teams atm. I dont think your squad is good enough to muddle your way past them, they'll need to perform pretty well.

RoyH1

More than anything I'm concerned for the wellbeing of England fans over there. They have a massive target on their backs.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not heard anything about a replacement yet, I wonder if Smalling will go on the standby list to replace Tarkowski. Southgate doesn't seem to rate Mike very much, so maybe not.
I doubt it. From Southgate pov, what is the point trying to play possession football if you're just going to bring Smalling instead of Tarkowski:lol: So weird

He was probably advised to make a real ballsy decision of removing a big player from the team. Like a Rooney, or Hart or something... to makes sure he is to be respected. Then proceeded to do the least ballsiest move of them all.

What about removing Dier or Henderson, they have about as much technique for the midfield position as what Smalling has in defence tbf.

Anyhow, I look forward to the WC, and watching the England defence rupture is sure going to make for some entertaining football.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

More than anything I'm concerned for the wellbeing of England fans over there. They have a massive target on their backs.
Some do bring it on themselves at times but pre-emptive action will most likely be taken by authorities so all travelling best have their wits about them. The England fans will embarrass the nation yet again I'm fairly sure of it, no respect when travelling anywhere.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Yes the vast majority of them are simply there for a few beers and some football. They'd want to keep their heads down but a few pints of Stella and we'll be having the Dambusters theme. Could be carnage and i wouldn't be surprised if we see a fatality.

You'd have to be mad travelling with England to this WC. With all the political shenanigans going on between the UK and Russia I've no doubt the Russian ultras will be under orders to give England fans a hammering.

Alfie092

You guys think the England "Golden Generation" team of 15 years ago would have a chance of winning this years World Cup or just be a letdown as usual?

RoyH1

Yes the vast majority of them are simply there for a few beers and some football. They'd want to keep their heads down but a few pints of Stella and we'll be having the Dambusters theme. Could be carnage and i wouldn't be surprised if we see a fatality.

You'd have to be mad travelling with England to this WC. With all the political shenanigans going on between the UK and Russia I've no doubt the Russian ultras will be under orders to give England fans a hammering.
That is my fear too. Even should England fans behave themselves (which isn't a given I know), they will be targeted by Russian ultras in way other fans simply won't.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You guys think the England "Golden Generation" team of 15 years ago would have a chance of winning this years World Cup or just be a letdown as usual?
Why would they?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Lingard to be the unsung hero this summer?

Mint

How England do won't effect my enjoyment of the tournament. I expect them to lose to any decent team. We are on Scotlands level.
Don't get your hopes up, you'll feel less pain.

0161_UNITED

How England do won't effect my enjoyment of the tournament. I expect them to lose to any decent team. We are on Scotlands level.
Don't get your hopes up, you'll feel less pain.
Scotland’s level?! Do one.

0161_UNITED

Do one, again. England isn’t a great team right now, I admit, but they’d wipe the floor with Ireland and Scotland. Get out of here with this defeatist nonsense. We’ve got real chance of getting out of the group, and maybe an upset or two after.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
I assume its an Ireland fan on the wind up. Surely no one can think Ireland's distinctly average group was a tough qualifying group, or that Scotland who haven't even qualified for a tournament for 20 years and finished well behind England in the same group, are on par.

caid

This is the worst Ireland team i've seen in 30+ years, were terrible. England aren't in amazing shape atm but they're still drastically better than us

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
vs Panama 0-0
vs Tunisia 2-0 win
vs Belgium 0-0

Unbeaten in the group (albeit with two draws) and without having conceded, the hype train in the media here will be at full speed.

Then we'll go out in the second round.

Putting a quid on this.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
This is the worst Ireland team i've seen in 30+ years, were terrible. England aren't in amazing shape atm but they're still drastically better than us
The days of Given, Irwin, Keane and Quinn seem like a long old time ago.

Mint

I assume its an Ireland fan on the wind up. Surely no one can think Ireland's distinctly average group was a tough qualifying group, or that Scotland who haven't even qualified for a tournament for 20 years and finished well behind England in the same group, are on par.
England stuggled against Lithuania, Malta and Slovenia. Do you think we'd easily beat Serbia and Austria? Wales would be hard to break down because they drew 5 times (6 goals conceded) and we have no creativity.

Last edited:

caid

The days of Given, Irwin, Keane and Quinn seem like a long old time ago.
I'm not old enough to know if the late 80 to early 2000's were a blip and we should get used to the current standard of player or if were just at a low ebb. FAI are fecking awful, they certainly dont help i guess but there's no real talent in the current generation. A few good journeymen and they all work hard. Were a long way off this england side.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
England stuggled against Lithuania, Malta and Slovenia. Do you think we'd easily beat Serbia and Austria? Wales would be hard to break down because they drew 5 times (6 goals conceded) and we have no creativity.
England won the group comfortably, no other way of dressing things up. England are fine in qualifying. You think Ireland who came second in that group are much more creative than England? You're really overplaying how good Serbia and Austria are. Both are very average sides (certainly not much, if at all better than Slovakia). Serbia just profited off a easy group - they'd have struggled to qualify in virtually any other group, certainly in top spot.

If you really think England are no better than teams ~40th in the world, there's just no point in arguing it really. It's a baffling point of view to have. Like claiming Arsenal are no better than Huddersfield.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Not sure I understand the negativity about the current England side.

It's full of players playing in the Champions League with one of the top strikers in the world upfront. I'm not saying they'll win it, but I think they'll do well.

Player for player, is this side really any worse than the Portugal side that won the Euros 2 years ago?

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I'm English and I could hardly care about England. Actually I do want them to do well but I support Germany as my first team, followed by England. Am I an awful human being? :lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Tunisia look an ok side. If we don't get 3 points on the first game we'll be out before we play Belgium. Interesting to see they go v Spain on Saturday.

Re: negativity. England have been abysmal at the last two tournaments. 1 point at the world cup and well beaten by Iceland. Kane looked like a pub team player in that game.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
After Southgate had annouced the 23 player England Squad for both friendly's against Nigeria and Costa Rica (as well as the World Cup itself), another big issue I ended up having with Southgate's squad selection process is that despite being permitted to do so (for the friendlies), he failed to select a 30 player squad for the friendlies against Nigeria and Costa Rica.

Now the reason I have a big issue with the fact he has only picked 23 players (in his squad) is that he has missed a golden oppertunity to try out a broader range of players before the WC actually starts. Which would not only increase the competition for places before they fly to Russia (1) but also might have addressed the issues the squad currently has (Especially the CB and CM issues) by trying out more players that might turn out to the the solution in question.

Anyway here the 30 Player Squad I would have picked for the friendlies in question:

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders: Kyle Walker (CB/RB), John Stones (CB), Gary Cahill (CB), Phil Jones (CB), Harry Maguire (CB), Chris Smalling (CB) James Tarkowski (CB), Jamaal Lascelles (CB), Ashley Young (LB), Danny Rose (LB), Kieran Trippier (RB), Trent Alexander-Arnold (RB/CM)

Midfielders: Eric Dier (DM), Jordan Henderson (DM), Dele Alli (CAM/CM), Jesse Lingard (CAM/CM), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (CM), Jonjo Shelvey (CM/CDM), Scott McTominay (CM/CDM), Phil Foden (CM/CAM), Jack Wilshere (CM/CAM) and James Milner (CM)

Attackers: Harry Kane (ST), Raheem Sterling (RW/LW), Jamie Vardy (ST), Marcus Rashford (ST/LW), Leon Bailey (LW/LWB)

Basically what I have done is remove Wellbeck and Delph from the squad, added Leon Bailey (2) as well as Jonjo Shelvey, Scott McTominay (3), Phil Foden, Jack Wilshere and James Milner in Midfield (4) plus Chris Smalling, James Tarkowski and Jamaal Lascelles in Defence (5).

Notes

(1) Which in turn (likely) would result in improved performances from the squad as a whole.

(2) Lets not forget he is eligable to play for England. Plus considering how Southgate is keen on the 3-5-2 formation, it helps that he can play as a LWB.

(3) Yes I know he has decided to play for Scotland. But the fact is that until he starts playing in the Euro 2020 qualifiers, he is still eligable to play for England and considering the potential talent he has and the issues we have in the CM position, the FA need to try again to sign him up for the national team.

(4) Had they been fit enough Ross Barkley, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain , Adam Lallana, Lewis Cook and Harry Winks could have been in contention as well.

(5) Thus the 30 player squad would consist of 3 Goalkeepers, 4 Fullbacks, 8 Centre Backs (since I am classing Walker as a CB in this case), 10 Central Midfielders and 5 Attacking players (although Bailey can also play as a LWB).

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
Player for player, is this side really any worse than the Portugal side that won the Euros 2 years ago?
Overall I would say not (you might say the same about Wales in the Euros as well), in fact if you look at the squad in question and the way they peformed in the Group Stages, one did wonder how they managed to win the final against France (even without CR7 for large parts of the game as well).

Still though if Gareth really wants England to better than what is expected on this team (i.e. reach the Semi-Finals), he needs to keep expectations down and build up a strong team spirit. Bascially he needs to do what Ranieri did when he managed Leicester.

Lucas Hood!!

After Southgate had annouced the 23 player England Squad for both friendly's against Nigeria and Costa Rica (as well as the World Cup itself), another big issue I ended up having with Southgate's squad selection process is that despite being permitted to do so (for the friendlies), he failed to select a 30 player squad for the friendlies against Nigeria and Costa Rica.

Now the reason I have a big issue with the fact he has only picked 23 players (in his squad) is that he has missed a golden oppertunity to try out a broader range of players before the WC actually starts. Which would not only increase the competition for places before they fly to Russia (1) but also might have addressed the issues the squad currently has (Especially the CB and CM issues) by trying out more players that might turn out to the the solution in question.
Your idea seems good but he had to name his final squad yesterday so there would be no point any of the players not in final squad bothering their arse in the friendlies.

I'd feel pretty shitty as a manager calling players up to a friendly just before the World Cup when there was no way they would be going even if they had the games of their lives.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Load of stuff and a few bollocksy footnotes
I'd argue there's merit to finalising the squad early. Everyone knows where they stand, and there's no distractions about who will and won't make the cut.

Don't know why you think Leon Bailey, who to my knowledge has never even lived in England, would want to play for England (is he even actually eligible, or is this Ryan Giggs all over again?). Don't know why you think Scott McTominay, who's already rejected England, would suddenly change his mind at the prospect of coming off the bench in a warm up game against Costa Rica, only to be cut from the squad before the tournament either.

stu_1992

Everything about this sky sports article has me excited for the world cup. The headline, the photo. Pure excitement.

0161_UNITED

I'm English and I could hardly care about England. Actually I do want them to do well but I support Germany as my first team, followed by England. Am I an awful human being? :lol:
Unless your mum and dad’s names were Helga and Fritz, and your name is Deiter then yeah, you’re probably on a wind up with a post like that.

Last edited:

0161_UNITED

With posts like this, I can almost taste your banning like salty tears.

Last edited:

Mint

With posts like this, I can almost taste your banning like salty tears.
Banning for what? Telling the truth? We struggled to break them down. I've seen nothing from these players to feel excited. Only despair.

hubbuh

Kind of. How the hell did that happen?