England Discussion | Finish 4th

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I can understand subs like Dier for Alli for the last few minutes if the opposite team has chance after chance but not if Colombia was so harmless.
They weren't harmless towards the end and had 2 dangerous, free headers before scoring. Considering it's Murphy's Law for the favourites this WC it wasn't all cosy. Think it was after the sub, though.

Hoof the ball

How's that not a pen? Colombia should have been 2-0 and down to 10 fairly early in this one and they are the ones crying?
I can't understand it. Social media and the world has lost it's mind. It's like I'm looking at black and people are calling it white. There's so little reasonable objectivity. I read today that there's a 200,000 strong petition (Spanish, predictably) to re-play the match.

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...d-cup-last-16-replay-20180705?c=1530809845239

Inter Yer Nan

I can't understand it. Social media and the world has lost it's mind. It's like I'm looking at black and people are calling it white. There's so little reasonable objectivity. I read today that there's a 200,000 strong petition (Spanish, predictably) to re-play the match.

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...d-cup-last-16-replay-20180705?c=1530809845239
Found this unbelievable
"But the petition argues that the Three Lions were awarded their second-half penalty for a 'non-existent foul' and that Colombian striker Carlos Bacca's extra-time goal should have been allowed to stand."

The ref blew up and everybody stopped about 30 seconds earlier. If anything Bacca should have been carded for playing off after clearly hearing the whistle hence his non celebration and hesitation with the ball.

England were denied a clear pen, given a clear pen, Colombia survived a clear red card, multiple other infractions such as pushing the ref too.

Colombian FA should be fined. IMO without being to OTT I think they brought shame to what's been a wonderful competition. Maybe not as much shame as Neymar but not far off.

99withaflake

Here's another one that got missed. Kane brought down in the box.
Literally speared him like Bill Goldberg!

Jesus, that's a ridiculous foul. The only reason it was close was because of a weak referee. Should have had two penalties and been playing against 10 men. Saying that, still happy we've been given a few.

Surely the Swedish coach will be telling his players to be careful defending corners for two reasons. 1 - refs are actually giving some of them. 2 - VAR.

I'm expecting Sweden to be better at defending corners than any team we've come up against, and won't really need to resort to fouls, but hopefully I'm wrong and the trend continues!

Alek M

Da manic one
Stealing bbc analysis a bit. Sweden finished above Netherlands in their wc qualifying group, beat Italy in the playoff and finished above Germany in the group stage. So Sweden is no fluke. Well organized team,difficult to break down.

While I rate Rashford a lot,I think he can be much more effective coming on as a sub around 60th minute or in extra time. The problem for England is that Sterling or Vardy is the only other alternative.

DoubleRevv

Alek M

Da manic one
Btw, Kane masterfully played its part for that penalty. He went under the defender,waited for the slight touch and went down. The defender got sucked in big time. That other one above is a more clear penalty imo.

99withaflake

Btw, Kane masterfully played its part for that penalty. He went under the defender,waited for the slight touch and went down. The defender got sucked in big time. That other one above is a more clear penalty imo.
Do you think the penalty decision would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch? 9 times out of 10, the ref would blow for a free kick in my opinion.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
lol at that Rugby tackle, not looking at the ball or attempting to play the ball at all, shades of the Tunisia game where it was more a wrestling match for Kane than a football game. Whats with all the rough treatment he is getting? Why specifically Kane? It's not like he is the only danger in set piece scenarios, you might even say Maguire is more of a threat in those situations.

simplyared

Far too much hype around the Swedish team on this thread. Yes they are well organized but lets not exaggerate this as being a key strength. Their attacking force in Berg and Toivonen is pretty awful to say the least. None of them would even make a team in the Championship imo. What will win this game is quality and England have far more than that looking at both sides.

Classical Mechanic

Found this unbelievable
"But the petition argues that the Three Lions were awarded their second-half penalty for a 'non-existent foul' and that Colombian striker Carlos Bacca's extra-time goal should have been allowed to stand."

The ref blew up and everybody stopped about 30 seconds earlier. If anything Bacca should have been carded for playing off after clearly hearing the whistle hence his non celebration and hesitation with the ball.
The linesman was messing about with the second ball and was not ready for the restart. That's why the ref stopped the game.

Fredrik.A

Far too much hype around the Swedish team on this thread. Yes they are well organized but lets not exaggerate this as being a key strength. Their attacking force in Berg and Toivonen is pretty awful to say the least. None of them would even make a team in the Championship imo. What will win this game is quality and England have far more than that looking at both sides.

Marcus Berg would probably score for fun in the championship. He's pretty much always scored lots, bar this WC. Underrated player in my opinion.

Judas

Open to offers
Quality doesn't always matter against an organised team that defends for its life and knows exactly what it's doing. There's many examples of it every season. Look at Wigan/Man City in the FA Cup. That's exactly what Sweden do, they're like Iceland but better. The good thing is, we know exactly what we're about to face, and there will be no naivety, homework will have been done.

Classical Mechanic

Marcus Berg would probably score for fun in the championship. He's pretty much always scored lots, bar this WC. Underrated player in my opinion.
The Championship is a similar level to the Erdivisie so I'd say he is definitely good enough to play there and be a good player. He would probably be a fairly decent player for a Premier League bottom section side too. He has been a disappointment though, relative to his performances as a youth player.

littlepeasoup

It's been said before, and it should be said again; there's a decent amount of irony of the Swedes perceiving the English to be arrogant for thinking they have a decent chance to win, whilst also saying it's a good game for them, and they're going to win.

They're trying to play mind games, and IMO failing spectacularly.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Det kommer hem, Det kommer hem, Det kommer,
Fotboll kommer hem

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I find it hakan mildly interesting that Sweden is having its best tournie in a while after jettisoning Zlatan, and that England is having its best tournie in a while after finally seeing the last of the 'golden generation'.

A timely reminder that footie is a team game.

Wilt

Can't deny Sweden's impressive record against England, but i feel Sweden without Zlatan is like Portugal without Ronaldo .....beatable.

DancingPanda

During the press conference Janne Andersson talked about growing up in Sweden during the 70s with one televised PL-game per week. Talked very romantically about it, and thought it felt special to play against England during these circumstances.

That's the main reason why a lot of Swedes thinks it's fun to play against England in a WC quarter final. English football has always been very popular here. Should be a good game tomorrow.

Reactions: jojojo

Djemba-Djemba

It’s basically a meme, god forbid England fans have a bit of fun and laugh at their own expense.
It's the first fun World Cup for England fans since I don't even know when. Maybe 2002?

We've scored a last minute winner, we've scored 6 goals in one game and we've won a penalty shootout. It's been joyous.

Judas

Open to offers
Yep. It could very well end tomorrow, and I'd say this has comfortably been the most fun I've had watching England at a tournament in a very very long time. We had a very low bar, but maybe for the euros we might even be able to raise it just a tiny bit.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Yep. It could very well end tomorrow, and I'd say this has comfortably been the most fun I've had watching England at a tournament in a very very long time. We had a very low bar, but maybe for the euros we might even be able to raise it just a tiny bit.
England needs to raise the bar because after Colombia suffered the penalty they started playing football and England was in trouble until the second half of the extra time which I believe was because colombian players couldn’t run anymore.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Can't deny Sweden's impressive record against England, but i feel Sweden without Zlatan is like Portugal without Ronaldo .....beatable.
They seem to have improved since Zlatan retired. More of a team now, rather than a side which relies on a single player to get them through games. They were certainly beatable with him, England managed it in the 2012 Euros with the dream partnership of Danny Welbeck and Andy Carroll, with Theo Walcott playing the role of super sub :lol:.

The impressive record thing I really couldn't care less about. It bares no relation whatsoever to the current squads, it's just one of those interesting statistics. Sweden beating England with two entirely different squads on the field shouldn't make a difference on Saturday. I'm sure the players will be aware of it, but if anything it should ward away any complacency which might exist. I'd be surprised if that was a factor though, Southgate will keep them grounded and the squad will know this Sweden team is incredibly tough to beat and has already claimed some very impressive scalps.

Reactions: Penna

Judas

Open to offers
England weren't in much trouble in the 90 minutes really, they gave away one brilliant chance because of Walker. Then they conceded in added on time. What football were Colombia playing after the penalty? I bloody didn't see it, they were crying, diving and fouling.

First half of extra time they were a mess, then composed themselves for the rest of the game.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
England needs to raise the bar because after Colombia suffered the penalty they started playing football and England was in trouble until the second half of the extra time which I believe was because colombian players couldn’t run anymore.
Colombia did very little for a long while after conceding .. for most of the second half they set about gaining a number of yellow cards and generally acting petulantly. England in fact had a couple of promising breaks but they were wasted. I'd say Colombia had maybe a 10 minute period at the end where they looked somewhat dangerous, but nothing particularly worrying up until the set piece, except perhaps 1-2 England errors.

I think their dominance of the first half of Extra Time can mainly be put down to the boost that scoring the late goal gave them. That would have given their players incredible belief that they could go on to win it, and on the flip side would have really deflated the English players, who you could see were making some really silly unforced errors during that period. Then England seemed to gather themselves a bit for the second half of ET and managed to take control again.

I agree England need to improve on their performance though. It wasn't terrible against Colombia (They are a solid side, with two very good central defenders and a few bright attacking players) but at times it was ponderous and badly lacking in creativity, which to be honest is to be expected with our midfield options. I think Southgate made an error bringing on Dier, and should also have brought in Rashford earlier than he did. He will learn from this though, he (understandably) tried to be cautious and bring in a defensive minded player, but all this did was unnecessarily force England deeper against a side which really offered little threat.

Honestly though, Southgate has a really hard job. We have some very good forward players, some of the best in the Premier League, but a complete void in midfield. Our central defenders are always going to have a mistake in them because none are top class. Our attacking midfielders (Alli, Lingard) aren't particularly creative and are more about excellent movement and grabbing goals themselves. I think it's been posted before but this side badly needs an Eriksen, sadly this is a kind of player we rarely produce. I do think we'll see more chances from open play if we get to play a side like Croatia who will open up more, but against teams that sit deep we're never going to see much creativity as we simply don't have the personnel for it. Heck, even Spain with their embarrassment of technical quality struggled to open up sides playing like Colombia did.