England Discussion

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Waiting for Kanye to score his inevitable quarterfinal penalty and the press to come out and say he’s leading England to glory.

Guy runs like he’s stuck in mud.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Waiting for Kanye to score his inevitable quarterfinal penalty and the press to come out and say he’s leading England to glory.

Guy runs like he’s stuck in mud.
If a Kane pen knocks out France, then the press has every right to get excited.

Dorris

We’ll unconvincingly squeeze past Senegal/Ecuador in the last 16 before being promptly dispatched by France. The silver lining being it should be enough to see Southgate replaced, hopefully by Poch/Tuchel/Rodgers.

nickm

We’ll unconvincingly squeeze past Senegal/Ecuador in the last 16 before being promptly dispatched by France. The silver lining being it should be enough to see Southgate replaced, hopefully by Poch/Tuchel/Rodgers.
What a weird way to engage with the World Cup.

Dorris

What a weird way to engage with the World Cup.
In what way? I think it’s a fairly standard prediction most England fans would have. Or shan’t we criticise because “World Cup fever!”.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If a Kane pen knocks out France, then the press has every right to get excited.
Obviously they should be excited about England’s progress. But they will imply that Harry Kane has dragged them this far, as they did in the Euros, which isn’t the case.

Resonance

Pretty sure people were saying this at the last World Cup and at the Euros.

the_cliff

Obviously they should be excited about England’s progress. But they will imply that Harry Kane has dragged them this far, as they did in the Euros, which isn’t the case.
He won golden boot at the last world cup though. It was probably the worst golden boot at a world cup in my lifetime but still....

Djemba-Djemba

Southgate looked a bit pissed off after the Iran game, where as last night he looked absolutely delighted post match.

Sums him up :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He won golden boot at the last world cup though. It was probably the worst golden boot at a world cup in my lifetime but still....
I said the Euros. When he took leave if absence until the quarterfinals, and then the press immediately changed it to the Harry Kane show.

the_cliff

I said the Euros. When he took leave if absence until the quarterfinals, and then the press immediately changed it to the Harry Kane show.
Oh of course. When the team performs well it's Harry Kane.

When the team is not performing well it's the team or manager, it's the same at Spurs....

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I actually think England stand a chance against the French. France losing Pogba is a huge blow for them, and they don’t have anyone else like him.

In midfield they have runners and tacklers which will suit England’s strengths, and their main weapon in Mbappé can be neutralised by Walker. Giroud also plays into the strengths of Harold. Without the creative passing of Pogba, they lose a dimension and I think England can cope with what they have.

the_cliff

I actually think England stand a chance against the French. France losing Pogba is a huge blow for them, and they don’t have anyone else like him.

In midfield they have runners and tacklers which will suit England’s strengths, and their main weapon in Mbappé can be neutralised by Walker. Giroud also plays into the strengths of Harold. Without the creative passing of Pogba, they lose a dimension and I think England can cope with what they have.
We'd have to beat Ecuador first before we worry about France.

You said they have runners and tacklers in midfield yet they have Rabiot and Griezmann, who are better passers than anyone we have in midfield, In fact their most defensive midfielder (Tchouameni) is a better passer than both of our midfield 2.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We'd have to beat Ecuador first before we worry about France.

You said they have runners and tacklers in midfield yet they have Rabiot and Griezmann, who are better passers than anyone we have in midfield, In fact their most defensive midfielder (Tchouameni) is a better passer than both of our midfield 2.
They are decent passers, but for a well organised team, you would have to be disappointed if you were afraid of being opened up by Rabiot and Tchouameni. England has to back themselves to deal with their range of passing. None of them, Griezmann included, has the passing of a world class 10 or 8 like Pogba. England will likely play a low block and Tchouameni or Rabiot won’t just be an equal substitute for Pogba’s passing.

I agree with you that Ecuador could cause England real problems though.

Lee565

There is nothing wrong with kane but the issue is southgate just throwing his favourite 11 together without thinking about the dynamics of the chemistry.

Kane is clearly at his best with pace around him like son.

I would have liked to see us go with a diamond and kane and rashford up front, we have good enough fullbacks to give us width

the_cliff

They are decent passers, but for a well organised team, you would have to be disappointed if you were afraid of being opened up by Rabiot and Tchouameni. England has to back themselves to deal with their range of passing. None of them, Griezmann included, has the passing of a world class 10 or 8 like Pogba. England will likely play a low block and Tchouameni or Rabiot won’t just be an equal substitute for Pogba’s passing.

I agree about them not being as good a passer as Pogba, I just feel that they don't need that, they have enough quality from their 2 wide attackers to create for them and as long as they get the ball to them in decent positions we'll struggle to keep them at bay. I'm also worried about Kyle Walker, he's hardly had minutes this season, been injured a lot and his first or second game back he'll be up against Mbappe who looks confident and is probably playing the best he's ever played.

Renegade

There is nothing wrong with kane but the issue is southgate just throwing his favourite 11 together without thinking about the dynamics of the chemistry.

Kane is clearly at his best with pace around him like son.

I would have liked to see us go with a diamond and kane and rashford up front, we have good enough fullbacks to give us width
Sterling & Saka are pacey no?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Sterling is god awful and needs to be replaced by one of the 4-5 bettrr players who are sitting on our bench.

We also need to play a system that actually works against a credible opponent, which probably means giving Kane a partner or someone to feed off counter attack balls with, since we're never going to be able to press with Kane, Rice and Maguire as our spine. Again that isn't Sterling who juat wastes the ball being selfish every time he has it, and it would mean Southgate abandoning this weird (stupid) principle of "controlling the game from the back" which basically means Stones and Maguire slowing every attack to a halt before it even gets started

We won't be beating France with the team Southgate keeps picking. It'll be 90 minutes of them trampling all over us while we try to do God knows what.

And its also quite possible on our recent, tactically clueless performances that we won't win the group and will end up being suffocated out by the Dutch.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’d drop Kane for the final game. Mainly to test him but also because the team could do with someone just staying upfront.

BerryBerryShrew

Why 6? Supposing there is a winner in the other game (US or Iran getting to 5/6pts). If Wales wins by 3 they are up to + 1 in GD and England goes down to +1. What happens then?

Edit: Got it. Best attack. So Wales needs a 4-0 win in this scenario.
Correct, bad arithmetic on my part. Still, losing by 4 to Wales is almost as unlikely as losing by 6. They are home and hosed either way.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh of course. When the team performs well it's Harry Kane.

When the team is not performing well it's the team or manager, it's the same at Spurs....
Such nonsense. All the hype so far has been about Bellingham and Foden.

Lecland07

I’d drop Kane for the final game. Mainly to test him but also because the team could do with someone just staying upfront.
They won't stay upfront - it is part of the game plan.

croadyman

Still a chance Denmark could wrestle control away from them with a win later

ExoduS

Wow Americans here all of a sudden are very interested in football and are celebrating the draw as if they beat England 3:0. USA team is not that bad at all, so many players play in Europe and some play for top teams.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Such nonsense. All the hype so far has been about Bellingham and Foden.
Which is the point. If/when Harold turns up (i.e scores a penalty) in the quarters, the narrative will be as if he has carried England that far.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Which is the point. If/when Harold turns up (i.e scores a penalty) in the quarters, the narrative will be as if he has carried England that far.
Complete and utter nonsense once again. You are just making crap up now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Complete and utter nonsense once again. You are just making crap up now.
It’s happened before and it will happen again. It literally happened in England’s last major tournament, and Spurs’ last domestic season - yet somehow I am making crap up.

LordSpud

The best thing about England and France is that we can get Rashford and Shaw back in training early for the FA cup game.

Castia

So there's talk of Henderson starting ahead of Bellingham tomorrow

No Bellingham and Foden in this side is criminal, talk about wasting talent.