England Discussion

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
So there's talk of Henderson starting ahead of Bellingham tomorrow

No Bellingham and Foden in this side is criminal, talk about wasting talent.
Southgate is a very functional man. I could see him start James Milner in this team if he wasn’t retired. Foden is the complete opposite of Southgates ideas. Play him LW, AM or even false 9 and he will stray from starting position to influence things. Same with Grealish.

I’d hate to see him ruin this team like Martinez ruined Belgium.

croadyman

Southgate is a very functional man. I could see him start James Milner in this team if he wasn’t retired. Foden is the complete opposite of Southgates ideas. Play him LW, AM or even false 9 and he will stray from starting position to influence things. Same with Grealish.

I’d hate to see him ruin this team like Martinez ruined Belgium.
Don't rule it out with such a cowardly FA,Foden would be starting for any top country

Djemba-Djemba

Setting up to get a point tomorrow against Wales.

Southgate is way too negative and him bringing back Henderson is depressing but it does deserve a mention that Foden has been a real let down anytime he's played for England. He's not been the City Foden in an International setting.

You could argue it's because Southgate doesn't use him right but there you go.

Doracle

Bringing in Foden and Rashford for Mount and Sterling would be the obvious changes. If it’s true that Henderson is coming in for Bellingham then that’s really depressing. That’s worse than playing Rice-Phillips.

croadyman

Setting up to get a point tomorrow against Wales.

Southgate is way too negative and him bringing back Henderson is depressing but it does deserve a mention that Foden has been a real let down anytime he's played for England. He's not been the City Foden in an International setting.

You could argue it's because Southgate doesn't use him right but there you go.
Prefers the other side to France then,obviously thinks we can beat Netherlands

The Purley King

Bringing in Foden and Rashford for Mount and Sterling would be the obvious changes. If it’s true that Henderson is coming in for Bellingham then that’s really depressing. That’s worse than playing Rice-Phillips.
Agree with those changes. Can’t see it happening though. Think it will be a pretty depressing game, is controlling things but fairly toothless and wales trying to hit us on the break.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I actually wouldn't mind Henderson for Mount and Bellingham moving into Mount's role as the more attacking 8.

LordSpud

I was going to finish work early today for this. I dont think I will bother because we know exactly how this is going to go.

Swiss_Red89

If he doesn't mix up the forward positions for this game and bring in the likes of Foden and Rashford then he truly is an idiot. You have such a big, quality squad, use it...You need to give minutes and confidence to the other attackers. And there is no better chance than to do it today.

But hey ho, he will probably sub in Rashford 1min befor the next penalty shootout again.

I would not be surprised if he dosn't want to do it because he would be in trouble if these guys perform today and he must think of leaving his favorite guys like Sterling out for the next game. Same applies to TAA.

Swiss_Red89

also a fun fact about Rashford...It's his fourth international tournament and he has only started one game so far...(Death rubber vs Belgium in 2018)

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We should have played Grealish against the US. Their strength is clearly their defensive midfield, you have to play a runner to disrupt that. Still annoying me that we didn't.

Against Wales, it sounds like Henderson will be playing over Bellingham, which I think is a mistake.... but given that, I would probably play Mount as you need someone who can arrive in the box and hit them.

I would like to see Rashford and Foden, but if completely honest I don't think it matters too much. What matters is the make-up of the three in midfield.

romufc

Southgate clearly struggles to use the players at his disposable to their best ability.

Kane has a specific role for Spurs dropping in helping out the midfield and finding passes in behind. For Kane to shine you need runners in behind, Saka does this but Sterling hasnt so far.

He needs to try Rashford Kane Saka and Foden in behind.

Its a shame some players being unfairly treated by this manager.

Chief123

Any chance Phillips or Walker are fit?
If Walker isn’t fit for this or doesn’t play, it makes the idea of taking him really silly as it’s high risk throwing him in at the knockout stage.

We really need him to play these next 2 if we have hopes of beating France and tackling Mbappe down that side.

We’ll no doubt revert to a back 5 against France if we play them. The thought of Dembele against Maguire at LCB is terrifying.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I really hope we get England vs France in the quarterfinals

Should be a banger

Hope Walker will be fit and start if it happens, him vs Mbappe is always a fun watch

The Purley King

We should have played Grealish against the US. Their strength is clearly their defensive midfield, you have to play a runner to disrupt that. Still annoying me that we didn't.

Against Wales, it sounds like Henderson will be playing over Bellingham, which I think is a mistake.... but given that, I would probably play Mount as you need someone who can arrive in the box and hit them.

I would like to see Rashford and Foden, but if completely honest I don't think it matters too much. What matters is the make-up of the three in midfield.
wales are completely porous in midfield Bellingham is a must start as he can easily run around joe Allen whereas Henderson will just sit

MegadrivePerson

Theres not a single Welsh player that would even get in the England squad, it's embarrassing that Southgate is seemingly willing to be so defensive against them!

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Theres not a single Welsh player that would even get in the England squad, it's embarrassing that Southgate is seemingly willing to be so defensive against them!
Gareth hasn't a clue what to do. He only knows how to set up defensive sides, he would rather draw 0-0 than win 6-2. I think we're on course to play Ecuador in the next round and I honestly think they have a good chance of beating us. We're no better than the Netherlands who they battered.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Gareth hasn't a clue what to do. He only knows how to set up defensive sides, he would rather draw 0-0 than win 6-2. I think we're on course to play Ecuador in the next round and I honestly think they have a good chance of beating us. We're no better than the Netherlands who they battered.
This is the problem. His preferred formation is one he just took from Conte, without any of the tactical intricacies or his own version (like Poch even managed). He is a fraud of the highest order and needs to leave before things really get ugly.

saivet

Foden, Henderson, Walker and Rashford expected to start tonight. Would guess this to be the line up.

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Henderson, Rice, Bellingham
Foden, Kane, Rashford

Berbasbullet

Foden, Henderson, Walker and Rashford expected to start tonight. Would guess this to be the line up.

Pickford
Foden, Kane, Rashford
I actually really like that line up.

Leg-End

Pickford
Foden, Kane, Rashford
If Kane stops moving like a zombie and actually sticks to his position this should do damage.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Pickford
Foden, Kane, Rashford
I'd go with Wilson over Kane purely for his pace. Wales need to push forward and their defence is terrible and should get destroyed by Rashford and Wilson.

Kaos

Waistcoat will probably play 2 holding midfielders again, even if its Wales. So I expect to see Rice - Henderson in the pivot. He might (and should) bring Foden back into the side.

I'd be tempted to rest Harry Kane for this one too. They should still easily win without him.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Southgate clearly struggles to use the players at his disposable to their best ability.

Kane has a specific role for Spurs dropping in helping out the midfield and finding passes in behind. For Kane to shine you need runners in behind, Saka does this but Sterling hasnt so far.

He needs to try Rashford Kane Saka and Foden in behind.

Its a shame some players being unfairly treated by this manager.
Agree that Rashford could be a good foil for Kane as he makes a lot of off the shoulder runs and Kane is good at finding them as he does with Son at Spurs.

Berbasbullet

Agree that Rashford could be a good foil for Kane as he makes a lot of off the shoulder runs and Kane is good at finding them as he does with Son at Spurs.
Yes, Rashford can 100% be our poundland Son for Kane.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I actually really like that line up.

Yup me too, it's balanced and the defensive workrate of Henderson will allow Walker to push forward a lot to overlap Foden (who can then cut inside).

The big question mark is Kane right now, he's been anonymous thus far but maybe having Rashford constantly trying to run in behind will mean he becomes a provider rather than a goalscorer (up until now he's been neither).

Berbasbullet

Yup me too, it's balanced and the defensive workrate of Henderson will allow Walker to push forward a lot to overlap Foden (who can then cut inside).

The big question mark is Kane right now, he's been anonymous thus far but maybe having Rashford constantly trying to run in behind will mean he becomes a provider rather than a goalscorer (up until now he's been neither).
Thought kane was good v Iran. Not v USA. His assist for Rashford was very good and can see that happening again.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Thought kane was good v Iran.
To be fair you are right, I'm being harsh as he did have two assists that game.

I was just disappointed with how much he was "in" the game (I think he had less than 20 touches) considering his quality on the ball but that's probably a tactical decision.