England Discussion

wangyu

I’m astounded he found 55 Englishmen playing at the highest level

croadyman

Kalvin Phillips has 3 sub appearances all season, no way he should be in the final squad but I’m sure Southgate will pick him. Sums up the manager.
Yeah will accept the rest of squad provided it includes

Maddison/Ward-Prowse (maybe both)
Wilson
Toney

NoPace

Kalvin Phillips has 3 sub appearances all season, no way he should be in the final squad but I’m sure Southgate will pick him. Sums up the manager.
I'd pick him if he might be healthy. Really don't rate Ward-Prowse to do anything other than hit set pieces and maybe a piece of magic in the group stages.

Everyone would freak out, but I'd consider bringing one of Longstaff, Skipp or Harrison Reed if Phillips isn't healthy. At least they can tackle a bit. I think Ward-Prowse in a knockout game against Spain or Germany is just nonsense.

TheGame

I'd pick him if he might be healthy. Really don't rate Ward-Prowse to do anything other than hit set pieces and maybe a piece of magic in the group stages.

Everyone would freak out, but I'd consider bringing one of Longstaff, Skipp or Harrison Reed if Phillips isn't healthy. At least they can tackle a bit. I think Ward-Prowse in a knockout game against Spain or Germany is just nonsense.
He's hardly played this season so isn't even match fit. JWP is a good option alongside Rice. Not sure about the others you've listed there as they all seem poor options so might be struggling in that area.

NoPace

He's hardly played this season so isn't even match fit. JWP is a good option alongside Rice. Not sure about the others you've listed there as they all seem poor options so might be struggling in that area.
I just find whenever I watch JWP his lack of a left foot and shaky defensive positioning and lack of physicality really hurt his play in midfield. I'd only pick him for England in a X-mas tree I think.

England are definitely struggling in that area. Foden and Bellingham in front of Rice and the best defensive options around them in a coherent system is the only potential solution apart from Phillips magically being ready for the knockouts. The other solutions are all 7/10 level solutions. And that first one I suggested seems like the thing you'd plan for 2024 with some time to make it work and faster CBs to play a high line and press fairly high.

Rich Ellit

Supports
Argentina
I've been very worried about England going into the World Cup with all our injuries + bad form. But, after looking at the state of some of the other European sides, I don't think it's all doom and gloom.

Argentina and Brazil should be favorites but after that, it's pretty wide open.

Yes, You're right Telstar. England needs to get their form so that they can give their 100% in the game. It's one of the largest sports even in the event so, it should be the best. I wanted to go and enjoy all the events in the stadium with my family but couldn't grab tickets on time. But no worries, I have another option I am going to stream all the matches online. So, that I don't miss any match especially excited about Argentina Vs Mexico Match on 26th November.

TheGame

I just find whenever I watch JWP his lack of a left foot and shaky defensive positioning and lack of physicality really hurt his play in midfield. I'd only pick him for England in a X-mas tree I think.

England are definitely struggling in that area. Foden and Bellingham in front of Rice and the best defensive options around them in a coherent system is the only potential solution apart from Phillips magically being ready for the knockouts. The other solutions are all 7/10 level solutions. And that first one I suggested seems like the thing you'd plan for 2024 with some time to make it work and faster CBs to play a high line and press fairly high.
I agree, could be viewed as a weak point. Ideally could do with someone like TAA in there with his passing but he has never played there so that won’t happen.

NoPace

I agree, could be viewed as a weak point. Ideally could do with someone like TAA in there with his passing but he has never played there so that won’t happen.
Yeah, TAA has played quite well as effectively a RCM for Liverpool with Salah wider.

I think for the next tournament, your plan A starting the day after the World Cup is either Foden and Bellingham in front of Rice and you bring in a possession style coach, or something funkier with Rice holding, TAA on the right, Bellingham on the left and then Kane and 2 attacking mids (Foden and Saka probably) either side of him. The ideal formation for TAA as a midfielder is probably the one Dunga tried with Brazil and Madrid used when Isco replaced Bale:

Goalscorer-Kane--------------
--------------------#10---------------
----Bellingham--------------TAA
---------------------Rice---------------

as it would give TAA 2 far post targets and have a midfield 4 to make playing him more reasonable defensively. James can defend and overlap with him and is comfortable in-field when TAA goes wide. But England don't have the right-footed goal scorer like Mbappe or a prime Cristiano or even a Gnabry or Mane level player.

Kane will probably lose some pace soon, so I'd be tempted to use him as a proper #9 rather than someone who drops deep, especially since England's wide players all want the ball to feet and not to make runs in behind apart from Rashford, who I like but isn't as safe a bet to be as good a player as Saka or Foden in 2024 or 2026.

Bellingham is really improving and looks capable of being a Pogba-esque player (in the good sense, he's been brilliant for France), and he succeeded in a midfield 3 with a holder (Kante or N'Zonzi) and a worker on one side in Matuidi. It would be great if TAA could be that Matuidi figure and provide brilliant crossing, but unlike his obvious predecessor as the best crosser/long passer in the world in Beckham, I don't think TAA has the hunger or sacrifice in him to play a role that Ramires and Matuidi play. Not really sure England have that player unless Jacob Ramsey really blossoms under Emery, which is possible now. That's a good hire for England and France in that he's really good tactically and might improve Ramsey as an all-around player and Kamara as a pure DM to backup Tchouameni.

Real Name

Going to City has been a bad decision career wise for him it seems.

Real Name

Didnt know Walker is in doubt. Of all the riches at RB England might end up at Trippier as a starter. I mean he's decent but James and Walker are a lot better.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
England will go home on the group stages IMO.

ZainCRse7en

Not sure why Ben white does not get the call up for RB. From what i’ve seen of him, he has been consistent and solid.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Sounds like he was willing to risk it but Southgate said no. Good job Gareth.
Gutted for him. Arguably Chelsea's best player in recent years.

I'm realizing now that Chelsea have many likeable players as opposed to before. What's up with that? Fix this Boehly

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Mike Smalling should be in the squad. We could do with a real defender in that back line. He’d be great in a 3 with Stones, Maguire and Smalling. Embarrassing he’s being overlooked.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
To be fair to Trippier if we are going by form he deserves to take the right back spot.

saivet

• Walker and Phillips might get called up
  • White expected to be called up
  • Rashford and Wilson expected to be picked
  • RLC considered but likely won't go
  • Maddison not likely to go
  • Shaw expected to be the only natural left back in the squad
  • Toss up between Tomori or Guehi
Based on the article and Southgate in general. I'd expect this squad

Keepers: Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale

Defenders: Trippier, TAA, Walker, Maguire, White, Stones, Dier, Guehi, Coady, Shaw

Midfielders: Rice, Bellingham, JWP, Henderson, Phillips, Mount

Forwards: Sterling, Saka, Rashford, Kane, Wilson, Foden, Grealish

NoPace

Walker and Phillips might get called up

Defenders: Trippier, TAA, Walker, Maguire, White, Stones, Dier, Guehi, Coady, Shaw

I'd take RLC for his size over JWP and Maddison over both, even though it's less balanced and I think Phillips' health issues hurt Maddison a ton as it's harder to bring another non-sitting DM.

Also don't bring Dier AND Coady. I know Dier can play CDM but yeah gimme a 2nd left back or Maddison instead for sure, or even Dewsbury-Hall as a left-footed midfielder with energy for balance. I just don't think you need a 7th CB for 3 spots, and if it's about a back 4, I'd take Smalling or Tarkowski over Coady.

Lee565

Mike Smalling should be in the squad. We could do with a real defender in that back line. He’d be great in a 3 with Stones, Maguire and Smalling. Embarrassing he’s being overlooked.
It is odd that for such a pragmatic manager that chooses players like coady that smalling gets overlooked

Lee565

Why do all England managers fall into the trap of safety first by relying on old form of players which ultimately backfires instead of favouring players in good form and with this world cup being smack down in the middle of the season it's more the reason to going with players in form

LordSpud

I really dont care about this anymore. I'm kinda hoping as few United players as possible get selected and keep possible injuries to a minimum. Zero interest in it.

croadyman

• Walker and Phillips might get called up

When reliable journos like Law say Maddison unlikely to go on eve of announcement I fear the worst for him. Shame because like a maverick in a tournament squad.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Coady and Dier would be madness. Both severely limited at such a high level. You wouldn’t want to be starting either in any situation.

I can understand Philips just because of a lack of any proper alternatives.

Only one LB would also be a poor decision. A first game injury away from handicapping your entire tournament.

GlasgowCeltic

Coady and Dier would be madness. Both severely limited at such a high level. You wouldn’t want to be starting either in any situation.

I can understand Philips just because of a lack of any proper alternatives.

Only one LB would also be a poor decision. A first game injury away from handicapping your entire tournament.
Southgate seems totally comfortable giving up a place for Coady in this non playing, team mascot/media duties role

JB7

Not really news but the Athletic are saying Tomori has been left out. Think the writing was on the wall for that one when he didn't give him any minutes vs Italy or Germany. Think it's an odd one personally given how one paced the majority of the natural centre backs are.

saivet

Likely Guehi in the squad with Tomori out then? Personally think it's harsh on Tomori to potentially be behind Dier, Coady, Guehi, Coady and even Maguire but not a surprise given Southgate's recently selections.