England Discussion

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Isn't Philips rules out?
I really dont care about this anymore. I'm kinda hoping as few United players as possible get selected and keep possible injuries to a minimum. Zero interest in it.
Yep, just can't seem to raise any interest in it at all, not sure why, perhaps mid season? In Qatar? Completely the wrong venue? Boring football, as most international matches seem to be now. Probably a combination of all of those.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Coady and Dier would be madness. Both severely limited at such a high level. You wouldn’t want to be starting either in any situation.

I can understand Philips just because of a lack of any proper alternatives.

Only one LB would also be a poor decision. A first game injury away from handicapping your entire tournament.
I think Trippier has played LB a few times, for England, though not sure if he has at club level, but still a risk. Phillips I can understand.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We'll see lots of reaction videos. Are those genuine? Are they actually not told until Southgate announces it?
Depends on the country, but in general I think the people who don't go get a consolation phone call before hand to be told they're not going.

Everyone else then finds out live.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Abraham is below average, both Wilson and Toney are better than him.
Toney probably, but Abraham is really just a bad finisher but his all round play is really good as a target man and he constantly finds himself in chances. Apparently shoots at 78% of his xG though in his career which is horrificly bad. But he's at 0.87 xG and xA per 90 minutes, which is really good. Even in the Prem in 19/20 he had similar underlying numbers. There's a really good player there, but the finishing will hold him back from being a top top player, but the rest is there I'd say.

saivet

I think Trippier has played LB a few times, for England, though not sure if he has at club level, but still a risk. Phillips I can understand.
I think JWP should feel hard done by. Phillips has only just returned from injury and was barely getting minutes even when he was fit. He spent most of last season injured at Leeds too.

Leg-End

Midfield looks weak on paper, better hope Bellingham and Rice have good tournaments and stay fit.

Sylar

The squad makes sense. You could make arguments for one or another each way but the bulk is correct

Rice Bellingham should play the majority of games in the middle. I can see the thought process behind this squad

Think Maddison was chosen but won't see a minute.

saivet

Would have preferred JWP or RLC over Gallagher. To me he's not been good for Chelsea and even, I just don't think he's all that good.

I guess his selection doesn't really matter though, same with Coady as I'd expect those two to be the ones sat in the stands for most games.

the_cliff

Conor Gallagher ? Really ?
No Tomori ?

I would've took Ivan Toney as well.

Selbourne

Glad Sky Sports got Roy Hodgson to get his opinion on the England call ups. The guy who got us knocked out to Iceland and put Kane on corners.

GlasgowCeltic

Couple more goals and that Gallagher place would've been Lingards, Southgate is loyal if nothing else

LordSpud

Remember juat because Maddison is in doesnt mean he will play.

I definitely dont see Bellingham getting much gametime either. He will stick with Rice and Phillips - the midfield that got him to the Euros final.

MUFC OK

Think Smalling has the right to feel slightly aggrieved at never being given a look-in by Southgate.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I think Loftus-Cheek is more deserving of a spot than Gallagher.

MUFC OK

So if Shaw gets injured first game, who is playing LWB, considering that's a key position in the formation we've used for the past 4 years?

Is Maguire the only other left footed defender??

saivet

Remember juat because Maddison is in doesnt mean he will play.

I definitely dont see Bellingham getting much gametime either. He will stick with Rice and Phillips - the midfield that got him to the Euros final.
Bellingham has done well for England recently. I think he'll start and Phillips will play a similar role to Henderson at the last Euros.

Henderson would have been a starter at the last Euros but he wasn't fit and just made sub appearances at the tournament.