England Discussion

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’d have preferred no United players in the squad, though I don’t know how much Maguire and Rashford will play.

Idxomer

Gallagher is such a bland player but someone like JWP is even worse.

Considering most international managers will always be loyal to some players, those selections are as good as you can hope for if you're an England supporter.

saivet

A right footed RB, or a RW then, phew.
Not ideal but Trippier has played there on a few occasions for England and so has Saka. Saka did initially come through at Arsenal as a LWB/LB but hasn't played there since he moved to RW to Arsenal.

tomaldinho1

If the reports are correct, there will be a couple of surprise inclusions, assuming he picks the full 26. Maddison for example shouldn't be a surprise but given Southgate hasn't picked him on numerous occasion when in good form.
Don’t think any surprises looking at it. As you say Maddison who has been great this season isn’t really a surprise. My immediate thought is we look dangerously light on midfielders.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Gareth "I'll pick players on merit and form, not their names" Southgate.

Proceeds to pick Phillips, Henderson, Maguire and Trent :lol: feck off man.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Perhaps I'm in the minority but I do think our squad looks decent. Good enough to go on a deep run in this shitehole tournament.

Skills

Snitch
Gareth "I'll pick players on merit and form, not their names" Southgate.

Proceeds to pick Phillips, Henderson, Maguire and Trent :lol: feck off man.
Funny thing is, Trent won't even play. Southgate has no idea how to use him

Wrecking ralf

How does Bowen not deserve a squad place. He’s a brilliant player. Much prefer him over Grealish and probably Rashford. We’ve got a great squad tbf. Shame the manager we have won’t use it to its potential

croadyman

Re Toney writing was on the wall once he didn't give him even a minute in the last two games, the nail in the coffin being the emergence of this investigation (that has been going on for months and still bought no charges) of some historical betting allegations. Southgate never wanted him involved and just caved to pressure from the press/public to call him up last time imo.
Yeah those two factors have played a part,certainly would have taken a good penalty but needed to feature pre World Cup

Skills

Snitch
Perhaps I'm in the minority but I do think our squad looks decent. Good enough to go on a deep run in this shitehole tournament.
Yeah, i don't think he could've picked much better. Lets be honest, whoever he left behind (i.e. Toney) wasn't going to make it on the pitch anyway.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Coady over Tomori is a joke. Wilson over both Abraham and Toney is equally stupid but it is mostly the best England can do considering the injuries and form.

the_cliff

Depends on who we get in the knockouts, if we get lucky as we have the last 2 tournaments then maybe.

I reckon we lose against the first good team we play against, so it depends who we get.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Considering penalties are one of the areas where England should do better, JWP should have been included just for that.
Gallagher, Maddison and Mount is way too similar. I would have added someone like Toney just for his physicality .

Philips hasn't played at all and yet he is in. Tomori is one of the best defenders in Serie A and has performed better than all of the defenders included.

Skills

Snitch
-----Sterling----Kane----Saka
--Shaw---Rice---Bellingham--Trippier
------Maguire---Stones---Walker
----------------------Pickford

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Coady over Tomori is a joke. Wilson over both Abraham and Toney is equally stupid but it is mostly the best England can do considering the injuries and form.
Wilson is miles better then Abraham, it's not even close. Don't think there's much between him and Toney either.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
He won't play Bellingham anyway
If he doesnt play Bellingham who is one of the best midfielders in europe right now, then Southgate is even worse than I thought.
It was a pretty low bar.

croadyman

Would have preferred JWP or RLC over Gallagher. To me he's not been good for Chelsea and even, I just don't think he's all that good.

I guess his selection doesn't really matter though, same with Coady as I'd expect those two to be the ones sat in the stands for most games.
Yeah think JWP unlucky to miss out again,admittedly still not in the form of last World Cup but has set piece ability.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
I’d have preferred no United players in the squad, though I don’t know how much Maguire and Rashford will play.
I reckon Maguire if fit will play every freaking minute. Southgate thinks he is Franz Beckenbauer

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wilson is miles better then Abraham, it's not even close. Don't think there's much between him and Toney either.
As others have said the betting thing has probably made his mind up about Toney if he hadn't already. Abraham has not been great this season. Tomori has not been as good this season as is the case for A C Milan. Gallagher does surprise me. Glad Maddison is in.

croadyman

Got no issue with Wilson selection but clearly there is something about Tomori Southgate has never taken to

the_cliff

I agree, I'd rather take Toney than Wilson, or you take them both. Toney is one of those players that you have to take just an all round menace, if he was playing for any of the top 6 or Newcastle and he had the exact same characteristics and performances he'd be a no brainer.