England Discussion

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
We've never really beaten anyone in a tournament who are better than us. Take all these coming home posts with a pinch of salt, no one actually believes it, although if we do beat France it will become unbearable for you lot in here.
Yeah definitely agree. We'll sing It's Coming Home but the reality is France will probably end up beating England and we know it.

Real Name

France slight favorites but anything can happen in 90 minutes, especially with the quality England has.

cyberman

We've never really beaten anyone in a tournament who are better than us. Take all these coming home posts with a pinch of salt, no one actually believes it, although if we do beat France it will become unbearable for you lot in here.
I don’t think France is better than you. France has Mbappe, Varane and not much else imo. It’s not even England having to keep Mbappe quiet to win, they have to focus more on you than you do on them

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don’t think France is better than you. France has Mbappe, Varane and not much else imo. It’s not even England having to keep Mbappe quiet to win, they have to focus more on you than you do on them
That's crazy. They have an extremely strong first team and plenty of good bench options.

Think the two squads are even enough on paper with Mbappe being obviously the stand out.

Bondi77

I am looking forward to the game.
I just hope that England will express themselves and not freeze on the big stage.
To play like it means nothing when it means everything is the key at elite level sport but very hard to do.

Leg-End

Slight underdogs but can’t underestimate this England teams tournament record. Looking forward to a proper battle.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Back to a 5 at the back, then?

Pickford
Walker — Stones — Maguire
Trippier(?) — Henderson — Rice — Shaw
Foden — Kane — Bellingham​

I’d anticipate something like that? Missing a bit of pace with the lack of a fourth attacker in Saka / Rashford, but I think Southgate might keep it conservative

cyberman

That's crazy. They have an extremely strong first team and plenty of good bench options.

Think the two squads are even enough on paper with Mbappe being obviously the stand out.
Who though that’s better than their English counterparts? They concede every game and give up a lot of chances while ceding control of the game for long periods as well. Their best midfield player is a player this forum shit itself over after we nearly signed him. Good player and all that but he’s a level below what England has.
I’m not saying France are a poor side but this English side has been better than France for a while now both team wise and individually

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
If England get through vs France, Gareth Southgate will have to be knighted.

Wait, what's above a knight? Bishoped? Rooked?

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
I expect a very tough matchup, our first real test, in my 40+years of following football it's the first time I take England seriously. I think the winner of this quarter will get to the final, both teams are better than Spain or Portugal.
While Belligham is clearly a stud and someone England will be relying on for the next 15 years, I think our midfield overall is better. Our attack is slightly better too because we have the best player in the world, but they have more depth, we only have Coman and they can bring Rashford, Grealish, Sterling or Wilson. Defensively I think it's pretty even, and Southgate will probably play a low line to neutralize his defenders' weaknesses. Hopefully we score early and force them out to give our wingers space.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Who though that’s better than their English counterparts? They concede every game and give up a lot of chances while ceding control of the game for long periods as well. Their best midfield player is a player this forum shit itself over after we nearly signed him. Good player and all that but he’s a level below what England has.
I’m not saying France are a poor side but this English side has been better than France for a while now both team wise and individually
I'd take the French collection of CBs over England's any day. Hernandez is a very good LB aswell (although Shaw's been fine in this tournament).

What England need to do is incessantly press Rabiot as I really think he's someone to get at. They're certainly not as strong there as in 2018 when Kante-Pogba-Matuidi was a nice trio for them and very effective at both ends.

If they don't they'll just feed balls through to Griezmann and then he's got two very quick wide forwards to try to play behind the backline.

It will be an interesting game. If England can't disrupt the French midfield much then they certainly won't be laying a glove on Spain's.

KeanoMagicHat

Bellingham is how I imagine Duncan Edwards would have been, to be that good and powerful in midfield at that age.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looks like Sterling's not figuring for rest of the tournament judging by this Southgate interview so that's one less impact sub option.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
What's happened with Ben White and Raheem Sterling? have there been deaths in their family?

antk

You think Bellingham Henderson Rice is better than Rabiot Griezmann Tchouaméni this tournament?

cyberman

I'd take the French collection of CBs over England's any day. Hernandez is a very good LB aswell (although Shaw's been fine in this tournament).

What England need to do is incessantly press Rabiot as I really think he's someone to get at. They're certainly not as strong there as in 2018 when Kante-Pogba-Matuidi was a nice trio for them and very effective at both ends.

If they don't they'll just feed balls through to Griezmann and then he's got two very quick wide forwards to try to play behind the backline.

It will be an interesting game. If England can't disrupt the French midfield much then they certainly won't be laying a glove on Spain's.
I think Englands midfield is better than Spains as well! If this England side has the same players but played for France we would rightfully be claiming they’re up there with Brazil as favourites imo.
Not saying England will win it and they could easily go out v France despite (imo) being favourites but they’re looking like a top team to me with added individual quality. Foden /Saka / Kane is a scary front line with serious options from the bench if it needs changing. They’re top scorers for a reason and it’ll be scary for France to play against.
Hope they don’t win but I’m fearing the worst here

Last edited: