England Discussion

saivet

Back to a 5 at the back, then?

Pickford
Walker — Stones — Maguire
Trippier(?) — Henderson — Rice — Shaw
Foden — Kane — Bellingham​

I’d anticipate something like that? Missing a bit of pace with the lack of a fourth attacker in Saka / Rashford, but I think Southgate might keep it conservative
I think Henderson will be on the bench and one of Sake or Rashford will start.

That said, I wouldn't be hugely shocked if he goes with the same team as today. Have Henderson focus on helping defensively on the right hand side.

Pintu

This is true :lol: I'd be in shock if we actually did France. Never fancy us against one of the big boys.

However, it's coming home :D
I actually fancy you against France. Southgate struggles with teams that can confiscate the ball the way Croatia 2018 and Italy 2021 did (Spain are the best at that, the only menace to England IMO)… This France side (like Portugal) is a more “direct” team with less ball control.

Redfrog

I don’t think France is better than you. France has Mbappe, Varane and not much else imo. It’s not even England having to keep Mbappe quiet to win, they have to focus more on you than you do on them
Haha, that’s a good one. Do you really think Saka is better then Dembélé ?
All French players play in biggest clubs in the world, but they are not having much…

I am not saying France is much better, it will be really close, both teams are stocked. But your stance is ridiculous.

cyberman

You think Bellingham Henderson Rice is better than Rabiot Griezmann Tchouaméni this tournament?
I would. I don’t see Tchouameni adding all that much just yet while Kane drops so deep it becomes a midfield 4 which gives England the advantage anyway. The best ball player out of all of those is a number 9 who drops a little too deep for my liking.
I’m not the biggest Rice fan on here but I’m not going to pretend Rabiot is suddenly this elite player that is above him. At most it’s a push and that being very generous to Rabiot

cyberman

All French players play in biggest clubs in the world, but they are not having much…

I am not saying France is much better, it will be really close, both teams are stocked. But your stance is ridiculous.
I do. Saka has been better than Dembele for a long time now

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
France are a level above and should win. For England it would be their biggest world cup win since '66

Redfrog

Who though that’s better than their English counterparts? They concede every game and give up a lot of chances while ceding control of the game for long periods as well. Their best midfield player is a player this forum shit itself over after we nearly signed him. Good player and all that but he’s a level below what England has.
I’m not saying France are a poor side but this English side has been better than France for a while now both team wise and individually
No sh*t Sherlock, they are world champions.

cyberman

No sh*t Sherlock, they are world champions.
4 years is a long time in football. That France beats England. imo this France could but aren’t favourites to do so.
How did you know my name was Sherlock?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think Englands midfield is better than Spains as well! If this England side has the same players but played for France we would rightfully be claiming they’re up there with Brazil as favourites imo.
Not saying England will win it and they could easily go out v France despite (imo) being favourites but they’re looking like a top team to me with added individual quality. Foden /Saka / Kane is a scary front line with serious options from the bench if it needs changing. They’re top scorers for a reason and it’ll be scary for France to play against.
How they don’t win but I’m fearing they worst here
Spain would pop the ball around England no problem imo.That said I'm basing that on them actually starting Rodri at DM which probably won't happen unless Busquets is suspended. I actually think a few posters during the match comparing this England to Man. United of 18 months back under OGS are bang on.

Side that can drop off for 20-30 minutes but stay in the game and a couple of lethal counter attacks later can comfortably be in the lead. England certainly have some of the best final third players in World football currently.

If I was France I'd seriously consider bringing Camavinga in for this just to counter Bellingham a bit more. That's probably a tweak Southgate wouldn't expect. Can still have Griezmann in number 10 role and push Mbappe a bit more centrally.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
No matter what happens against France, Southgate will live to see another tournament unless he decides otherwise, for getting us to this point :(
Pre-Southgate

Euro 2016 - no knockout wins (Iceland Last 16)
World cup 2014 - Failed at Group Stage
Euro 2012 - no knockout wins (Italy QF)
World cup 2010 - no knockout wins (Germany last 16)
Euro 2008 - Failed to qualify

Even the "golden generation" from 2002-2006 got only two knock-out wins in 3 tournaments

I'm not Southgate's biggest fan, but he needs a little more respect :lol:

Ole'sgunnarwin

Saka is comfortably better than Dembélé.

Redfrog

4 years is a long time in football. That France beats England. imo this France could but aren’t favourites to do so.
Yeah, Mbappé is already 23 years old, on his last leg. Varane is 29 or something, retired. Griezmann can’t run anymore, right ? They now have kids who plays for Madrid or Bayern in midfield and defense, should go home already, it’s coming home right ?
I have seen nothing from England that tells me they are favorites. Should be a good game with equal teams. Mbappé is the best player by far and it can count.

antk

The only spot where England has an no-contest better player is RB. You actually have 3 of 4 of those.

CF should be another one but on current tournament form Kane is not better than Giroud.

For the record I'm not saying that in all other spots France's players are better either.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If I was Deschamps I'd be starting Coman in this one. Or Camavinga and a formation change.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Who though that’s better than their English counterparts? They concede every game and give up a lot of chances while ceding control of the game for long periods as well. Their best midfield player is a player this forum shit itself over after we nearly signed him. Good player and all that but he’s a level below what England has.
I’m not saying France are a poor side but this English side has been better than France for a while now both team wise and individually
Ridiculous. Theo hernandez is miles better than any RB England have. Kounde is a better CB. Rabiot has been superb for Juve this year. Dembele has been ripping it up at Barca for quite a while now. Giroud has largely outperformed Kane. And Tchouaméni is an incredible talent.

Pintu

Especially when half the starting players of 2018 are missing this time.

Of the top of my head, L Hernandez-Umtiti-Pogba-Kanté-Matuidi.

The current squad is closer to the one that failed at Euro 2020 before winning NL in 2021, beating Belgium and Spain.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Ridiculous. Theo hernandez is miles better than any RB England have. Kounde is a better CB. Rabiot has been superb for Juve this year. Dembele has been ripping it up at Barca for quite a while now. Giroud has largely outperformed Kane. And Tchouaméni is an incredible talent.
The LB?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hernandez is a LB, Kounde played for them as RB today. Aside from that....

I assume they'll bring Pavard back in at RB unless he's injured so that will give France balance for Theo to really support Mbappe down the left.

Redfrog

I do. Saka has been better than Dembele for a long time now
Well, you haven’t seen Dembélé for a long time then. He is a different player now. I have not seen a dribbler like that in a long time.

But you seem to be the kind of guy to think everything from the Premier League is better.

Mooza

Supports
Arsenal
France are a level above and should win. For England it would be their biggest world cup win since '66
They’re not especially without Benzema.
The issue for England is not quality or even the manager it’s belief and confidence . Give this group of players to Italy and I would be confident they beat France.

MUFCpiffgawd

What makes Dembele better? Saka has been sensational for a long time now. I’m not biased in any way here, Saka is stupidly well rounded for the age he is.
Saka is bang on average. He cant beat players as easily and dembele. bembele puts real pressure on the opposition whenever he has the ball. his only issue is his finishing.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I think Rabiot has been surprisingly excellent. Didn’t realize how big he was. As tenacious as England’s midfield can be, he’s not going to be easily dispossessed.

cyberman

Pretty sure Kounde plays right back for France and isn’t miles better than Walker. Stones is better than the walking mistake from Bayern. Rabiot is playing relatively well for Juve but Juve are in crisis and have been shit all year. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, plus we are only 14 league games in, this season is hardly a large sample size.

For example this is your opinion on magnificent Rabiot only 3 months ago

Rabiot will improve our midfield significantly for a few years, sorry state of affairs but that's how it is. At this stage... we probably deserve him.

His performances must have been out of this world for three months to be so good that it’s ridiculous to even compare Jude fecking Bellingham or Rice to such a midfielder!

Plus Giroud is not out performing Kane, that’s a ridiculous statement to make

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
England and France are around the same level I think, too close to call really. Should be a really interesting match.

the_cliff

The only spot where England has an no-contest better player is RB. You actually have 3 of 4 of those.

CF should be another one but on current tournament form Kane is not better than Giroud.

For the record I'm not saying that in all other spots France's players are better either.
I'd probably add Bellingham, maybe Shaw will make it over Theo as well on tournament form, he's brilliant.

I think only Walker/Trippier, Bellingham and Shaw would maybe start for France out of our current team, even Bellingham is a bit iffy as Rabiot is the better passer out of the 2 and is important to how France play.

dbs235

So Henderson... On paper I wouldn't have him in my team but Klopp seems to trust him and England lack leaders and he's a leader 100% especially when it gets tough vs France.