England Discussion

Oranges038

Sorry when did Senegal control the ball? Even when they were the better side they had less than 35% possession.
For about 10 or 15 mins before England got the first goal. They were comfortable, had more of the ball and not really under any pressure, once that first goal went in they fell to shit.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
For about 10 or 15 mins before England got the first goal. They were comfortable, had more of the ball and not really under any pressure, once that first goal went in they fell to shit.
Im pretty sure that isn't true (having more of the ball), but dont care enough to prove you wrong. Dont deny they were fairly comfortable, England had loads of the ball and were playing horizontal passes for days.

Remember the geese

To be fair though, there were spells yesterday where Poland looked to be getting the upper hand and a goal wouldn't have been out of the question.

Herculean

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I've been wondering this too. You would think all the top players have paid for the best security possible yet it keeps happening. The only reason I can think of is private security guards in the UK are not allowed to carry firearms and I'm guessing they can in America.
I was thinking that the possibility of the "Athlete/homeower" owning a firearm might have a cause/effect on this not happening in the US as often?
Put simply - it boils down to political reasons. Years of left-leaning government effectively shackled law enforcement with human rights laws and putting the criminals before the victims. Now there are also far-left loons in positions of power in many UK police forces. When the more right-leaning government came to power, instead of fixing this mess, they instead decided to massively underfund policing. We are now feeling the effects of this toxic mix.

I'm surprised more top footballers don't live in gated communities to be honest. Can definitely see them becoming a big thing in the UK if you're fortunate enough to be able to afford it.
Thank you for your response! Gated communities will probably become more common, like you said.
Yes, I knew that it happens in the US as well, but either the MEDIA doesn't cover it at the same frequency, or I'm just not paying attention. I appreciate the response.

Oranges038

Im pretty sure that isn't true (having more of the ball), but dont care enough to prove you wrong. Dont deny they were fairly comfortable, England had loads of the ball and were playing horizontal passes for days.
They did and they were comfortable for most of the half but fell to pieces after the first goal.

Oranges038

To be fair though, there were spells yesterday where Poland looked to be getting the upper hand and a goal wouldn't have been out of the question.
Should have had a least 1. All came down Koundes side, if he's playing right back again, England could have some luck down that side.

Stactix

Think it will depend heavily on how foot front England play, the worst thing that could happen would be England scoring early I think & not getting a second.

England scoring that 2nd goal before half time completely knocked the sails out of Senegal and the third one was game over.

If it stayed 1-0 it may have been a completely different game second half.

Lee565

Maguire is a definitely a weak link as seen yesterday, I don't like the idea of him in a back 3 having to deal with dembele, would prefer to have walker and shaw either side of stones if we go down that route.

The quality between England and France is close but france's pace in attack and defence is the advantage they have over England

Sildegil

Don't talk down Walker too much I'll be disappointed when he shuts down Mbappé on Saturday like he's always done. He's his kryptonite.
I remember the England-France friendly in 2017. I am not sure you do.
Dembele and Mbappé were teenagers then and they ran the show at 10 vs 11 after Varane received a red (at 2-2), managing a 3-2 victory while outnumbered. Walker came in at half-time and he was dismantled by Mbappe/Dembele. It was one game. It was 5 years ago. England is a great team and can definitly win the game but if you think Walker is THE answer to Mbappé, you are in big trouble.

Revan

Assumptionman
Please, please, please, do not go negative in this match. Stick to 4-3-3 (maybe with Rashford instead of Foden), that is the best version of England. Go 5-3-2 and we will see France both dominating and winning.

SER19

For the sake of the tournament it would be best if England get knocked out. They're dreadful to watch beyond Bellingham. Effective, but just painful

PoTMS

For the sake of the tournament it would be best if England get knocked out. They're dreadful to watch beyond Bellingham. Effective, but just painful
Who have been good to watch? Netherlands, Argentina, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland games have similarly mostly been borefests.

redcucumber

I hope we decide to play like that just to end this delusion.

We didn't win the midfield battle against the USA but we can win the midfield battle against France. Ok. :lol:
Bellingham, Rice, and Henderson can win the midfield battle against Griezmann, Rabiot, and Tchouameni, yes.
:lol: England play great football at times, and I say this as someone who isn't mad on Southgate. Shaw, Bellingham, Saka, Kane, Foden, Rashford etc are all really great footballers to watch and they link up really well.

the_cliff

Bellingham, Rice, and Henderson can win the midfield battle against Griezmann, Rabiot, and Tchouameni, yes.

:lol: England play great football at times, and I say this as someone who isn't mad on Southgate. Shaw, Bellingham, Saka, Kane, Foden, Rashford etc are all really great footballers to watch and they link up really well.
I disagree, but I guess we'll find out on Friday.

England may well win the game but it won't be because we've won the midfield battle and controlled the game.

redcucumber

England may well win the game but it won't be because we've won the midfield battle and controlled the game.
Uh, what? Of course it could be. It's really not a stretch to say England's midfield is better and more rounded.

redcucumber

Based on ? Henderson and Rice are no where near as good as Tchouameni and Rabiot.
Convenient how you left Bellingham out - the comparison should be Bellingham and Rice against Tchouameni and Rabiot and you know it. And yeh, I'd take Bellingham and Rice over Tchouameni and Rabiot all day long.

the_cliff

Convenient how you left Bellingham out - the comparison should be Bellingham and Rice against Tchouameni and Rabiot and you know it. And yeh, I'd take Bellingham and Rice over Tchouameni and Rabiot all day long.
Except the simple fact that England play one 6 and two 8s. The reason being we're easily overrun in midfield when we play with a 10 and just Rice and Bellingham as the 6s. Case in point being the US game.
France play with two 6s and a 10 and have looked fairly comfortable against every opposition they have with a Rabiot and Tchouameni base, meanwhile England have had to add an extra 8 in there to not get overrun, while France haven't.... But we have a better midfield, ok...

The equivalent would be France having to drop Griezmann and play Camavinga as an 8 which they don't have to do because their base is more than good enough....

Sildegil

If I was in charge of France's team, I would put Coman as RB. We did before and it worked decently. As everyone will focus Mbappé, it is THE game for Dembele to shine and, with Coman at his side, he would have everything for it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Put simply - it boils down to political reasons. Years of left-leaning government effectively shackled law enforcement with human rights laws and putting the criminals before the victims. Now there are also far-left loons in positions of power in many UK police forces. When the more right-leaning government came to power, instead of fixing this mess, they instead decided to massively underfund policing. We are now feeling the effects of this toxic mix.

I'm surprised more top footballers don't live in gated communities to be honest. Can definitely see them becoming a big thing in the UK if you're fortunate enough to be able to afford it.
Eh? We've had a Conservative government for 12 years at this point - traditionally right of centre. These burglaries, which are much more commonplace in the last few years, have all occurred under their stewardship, so your logic doesn't add up.

The other factor to consider is that crime, particularly robberies, burglaries, theft, are now going to be even that much more common due to the cost-of-living crisis we're now under...again, due to Tory stewardship. The crime in London has / feels like it has gone up considerably in the last few months.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Eh? We've had a Conservative government for 12 years at this point - traditionally right of centre. These burglaries, which are much more commonplace in the last few years, have all occurred under their stewardship, so your logic doesn't add up.

The other factor to consider is that crime, particularly robberies, burglaries, theft, are now going to be even that much more common due to the cost-of-living crisis we're now under...again, due to Tory stewardship. The crime in London has / feels like it has gone up considerably in the last few months.
Not to mention how the tories have savaged the criminal justice system.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

Control of the game like we had against USA..

Irwin99

Uh, what? Of course it could be. It's really not a stretch to say England's midfield is better and more rounded.
Very even i'd say. I've been very harsh on Raibot- think I called him a poundland Petit based on his performances last season :nervous: - but he's been a powerhouse for them, they a have a Real Madrid regular in Tchouameni and Griezmann who's been instrumental for this French side.

Rice, Henderson and Bellingham are a really good trio too. I do wonder if they can retain possession against the best teams but it should be a great battle.

redcucumber

Except the simple fact that England play one 6 and two 8s. The reason being we're easily overrun in midfield when we play with a 10 and just Rice and Bellingham as the 6s. Case in point being the US game.
France play with two 6s and a 10 and have looked fairly comfortable against every opposition they have with a Rabiot and Tchouameni base, meanwhile England have had to add an extra 8 in there to not get overrun, while France haven't.... But we have a better midfield, ok...

The equivalent would be France having to drop Griezmann and play Camavinga as an 8 which they don't have to do because their base is more than good enough....
There's a good many reasons why teams play a midfield 3 instead of a midfield two and a number 10, it's not only because they fear being overrun. It's a completely different tactical setup. The idea that a 4-3-3 is automatically more conservative than a 4-2-3-1 is bizarre.

SER19

Top scorers at this stage, the most dreadful to watch.
Ya funny isn't it. I suppose the 6 goal opener and very easy fixtures skew things a little. I just find them incredibly boring but everybody likes different things so thankfully my opinion has no bearing on anybody who enjoys their 'style'

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
We were playing a two-man midfield against USA. Mount was a ghost.
Ehh. Still 9 other players on that field. He could have subbed the whole team. No point singling out Mount when Bellingham and Rice were as equally shite.

the_cliff

There's a good many reasons why teams play a midfield 3 instead of a midfield two and a number 10, it's not only because they fear being overrun. It's a completely different tactical setup. The idea that a 4-3-3 is automatically more conservative than a 4-2-3-1 is bizarre.
Of course not, City's 4-3-3 for example is a good example, not at all conservative. But if you can't see the reason why we switched to a 4-3-3 against the USA and yet still claim we have a better midfield than France then there's not much I can really say.

redcucumber

Of course not, City's 4-3-3 for example is a good example, not at all conservative. But if you can't see the reason why we switched to a 4-3-3 against the USA and yet still claim we have a better midfield than France then there's not much I can really say.
We didn't play a 4-3-3 against USA, though, we played 4-2-3-1. And besides, one game which ended in a draw is not definitive proof that one midfield is worse or better than an other. Surely that doesn't need stating?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Stick with the team that's working, play compact and defensive but not too deep, deny space in behind and try to threaten on the counter. Not sure if it might be best to start Rashford over Saka or use him off the bench. This is a game for Kane dropping deep and runners to get in behind

Anything else is suicide

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Given how easily Senegal controlled the bulk of the ball and the game until the first goal yesterday I can't see anything other than a France win.
Here's the thing : we're bang average in possession when a team plays a low block.
It's usually cross it to Giroud until he wins a header and score or wait for Mbappe to skin a player or two just outside the box

I feel that if England is in a position where they can play a low block and threaten on the counter, it'll be optimal for them because you definitely DO NOT want to let us play this way or you'll just get killed by Mbappe/Dembele/Theo

NoPace

Stick with the team that's working, play compact and defensive but not too deep, deny space in behind and try to threaten on the counter. Not sure if it might be best to start Rashford over Saka or use him off the bench. This is a game for Kane dropping deep and runners to get in behind

Anything else is suicide
The case for Rashford is strengthened by the fear of Mbappe's pace against Maguire. England might need to sit deeper to not be torn apart on that side, so playing Rashford on the break with Kane having a threat ahead of him when he drops deep becomes a clearer path to scoring. Not sure if Foden will sit or play on the right and Saka will sit. Maybe Saka as he can be trusted to deal with the threat of Theo Hernandez/Mbappe better. So my guess is Foden comes off the bench after an hour for one of them, along with a Henderson replacement as Southgate tells him to run for an hour helping out on that wing and contributing in midfield to give Bellingham more freedom, like against Senegal.