England Discussion

cpresc

I'm quite fearful of Dembele - with lots of focus on Mbappe who I think we might well control with Walker and Henderson/Bellingham supporting - Dembele could well tear up Shaw and Macguire who can often be a calamity. Macguire is so slow on the turn that Demble could be set free to run through and cross into the box often.

TheReligion

Abusive
The Sterling thing seems odd.

Apparently just a normal burglary discovered by his family who were out at the time.

If so seems excessive to fly home.

croadyman

Why do we think Southgate still wouldn't bring on Gallagher/Maddison when 3-0 up in last two.

Chief123

If I was in charge of France's team, I would put Coman as RB. We did before and it worked decently. As everyone will focus Mbappé, it is THE game for Dembele to shine and, with Coman at his side, he would have everything for it.
I can see why you’re not the France manager now.

Chief123

Apparently just a normal burglary discovered by his family who were out at the time.

To be fair, if it was me I’d fly home too. The wife and kids would be shaken knowing someone’s broken into your personal home and space. I’m sure most people would be anxious for the next few nights at least.

Also, he’s probably not as useful as Foden and Rashford right now so England aren’t fussed.

the_cliff

And Rabiot? A talent that huge gets time on the pitch. Because of what he can become. As it stands right now, he aint better.
Well you obviously haven't watched much of Madrid or France if you think Rice is better than Tchouameni.

Rabiot is more comparable to Henderson and yes he's better than Henderson every day of the week.

redcucumber

To be fair, if it was me I’d fly home too. The wife and kids would be shaken knowing someone’s broken into your personal home and space. I’m sure most people would be anxious for the next few nights at least.

Also, he’s probably not as useful as Foden and Rashford right now so England aren’t fussed.
You reckon? Burglars broke into my home on Christmas day while people were upstairs sleeping and life went on as normal. It's dog eat dog and Foden is feasting on the corpse of Sterling like a rabid hound. Can't be missing a World Cup for a harmless break in.

The Purley King

we’ve been burgled twice in the last few years when everyone was out .
For me it wasn’t a particularly big issue, almost expected living in south London but it had a major effect on my wife (we didn’t tell the kids who are still young).
I’d feel obliged to come home (even if I can’t truly appreciate the reasons why) and sort things out for that reason alone. Fair play to sterling for putting his family first.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
we’ve been burgled twice in the last few years when everyone was out .
For me it wasn’t a particularly big issue, almost expected living in south London but it had a major effect on my wife (we didn’t tell the kids who are still young).
I’d feel obliged to come home (even if I can’t truly appreciate the reasons why) and sort things out for that reason alone. Fair play to sterling for putting his family first.
Agree completely. Sterling’s a quality character imo.

If Kane had returned home for the same reason he’d probably receive a 2nd knighthood.

CallyRed

Defensively I just don't think we will cope. I hope I'm wrong but can see a high scoring defeat and a 3-2 France win.
It won't be coming home.

croadyman

I am talking about France as already in semi finals,reverse psychology but doubt it works.

the_cliff

This is probably an unpopular opinion but our key to beating France imo is to find a way to handle Griezmann and to try to cut the supply to Mbappe, only way we can go toe to toe with France.

croadyman

This is probably an unpopular opinion but our key to beating France imo is to find a way to handle Griezmann and to try to cut the supply to Mbappe, only way we can go toe to toe with France.
Not unpopular at all and very sensible thinking

Ole'sgunnarwin

There's no universe where England are beating France, Portugal and Brazil/Argentina. Can't even picture it.

Chief123

You reckon? Burglars broke into my home on Christmas day while people were upstairs sleeping and life went on as normal. It's dog eat dog and Foden is feasting on the corpse of Sterling like a rabid hound. Can't be missing a World Cup for a harmless break in.
Yeah I reckon I’m me and you’re you.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I have no idea what will happen but just imagining Mbappe running away from Henderson and straight at Maguire on a counter makes me giggle.
England just need to abuse whoever plays RB and try to isolate Varane as much as possible. He's not fully fit and has a mistake in him.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I have a nagging feeling Southgate switches to 3 at the back and it's worrying me as I think the entire team shape goes to pot then.

You need to play 2 wingers so that leaves 2 midfield slots and none of Rice/Henderson/Bellingham as a duo suit what we'll need.

Also can't see how you deal with Mbappe in a back 4 though so I'm pessimistic for this one.

CHVR

Supports
Brazil
We have a dreadful record of matches against France in and out of the WC, so I'll be fully supporting England for this match.

JB7

I have no idea what will happen but just imagining Mbappe running away from Henderson and straight at Maguire on a counter makes me giggle.
England just need to abuse whoever plays RB and try to isolate Varane as much as possible. He's not fully fit and has a mistake in him.
Seems odd to me to target their right side when they attack with their entire left-hand side. Like I take the point about Varane but in possession they tend to bring Mbappe inside, Hernandez overlaps, Rabiot pushes on link play between the two of them and Upamecano tends to push high into Rabiot's spot. I'd want to play off those moments. If Kane drops very deep as we win possession we know Upamecano will push onto him and you've got half the pitch free for Rashford to run into (if selected, which I think he has to be for this one). I'm not saying we wouldn't get joy against their right side, but I think the right is side to counter.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Seems odd to me to target their right side when they attack with their entire left-hand side. Like I take the point about Varane but in possession they tend to bring Mbappe inside, Hernandez overlaps, Rabiot pushes on link play between the two of them and Upamecano tends to push high into Rabiot's spot. I'd want to play off those moments. If Kane drops very deep as we win possession we know Upamecano will push onto him and you've got half the pitch free for Rashford to run into (if selected, which I think he has to be for this one). I'm not saying we wouldn't get joy against their right side, but I think the right is side to counter.
Most attacks start on the right with Griezmann Dembele though, unless there's a massive gap for Mbappe to run into. The reason the last few goals came from Hernandez overlapping is only because of poor opposition. Not sure how Walker is going to play this but i doubt he will set a foot behind the half way line.
I think Foden v Kounde will bring you more joy than Saka v Hernandez and the game will heavily lean on that side. Either way, will be interesting to watch what Southgate choose to do.

JB7

Most attacks start on the right with Griezmann Dembele though, unless there's a massive gap for Mbappe to run into. The reason the last few goals came from Hernandez overlapping is only because of poor opposition. Not sure how Walker is going to play this but i doubt he will set a foot behind the half way line.
I think Foden v Kounde will bring you more joy than Saka v Hernandez and the game will heavily lean on that side. Either way, will be interesting to watch what Southgate choose to do.
If it's Foden/Kounde or Saka/Hernandez then yes I agree, but like I said, for me I'm not playing Saka. Rashford has to play. With how many numbers they commit in attack we need to be looking to exploit that, and as such I think we need the option to go in behind and there's no one better in the squad than Rashford for that. So it comes down to Foden or Saka and Foden can come central to outnumber them when required better than Saka IMO.

By the way it's not just goals Hernandez overlaps for, that's just how he plays for them. He's their left side outlet and they will want him playing high I'd imagine to occupy Walker and get Mbappe into inside spaces where he's against Henderson or Stones instead. Also half of all their attacks came down the left against Poland, so it was very much their dominant side.

reelworld

Not sure that Rashford will start as many suggest here. Foden ability to find pocket of spaces between midfield and defense will be valuable, and he's not that slow either. He also could helped out in the middle if needed.
I still think it'll be the same team as against Senegal but with slightly different tactical set up.

NoPace

I have a nagging feeling Southgate switches to 3 at the back and it's worrying me as I think the entire team shape goes to pot then.

You need to play 2 wingers so that leaves 2 midfield slots and none of Rice/Henderson/Bellingham as a duo suit what we'll need.

Also can't see how you deal with Mbappe in a back 4 though so I'm pessimistic for this one.
I don't think he'll do that. More likely to me that he picks Rashford on the left and gives Saka a defensive job on Hernandez, with Kane as a false 9 looking to hit Rashford up top.

He'll sacrifice Foden over moving to 3 at the back. Might be different if they play Brazil though.

NoPace

I wonder if there's any chance that Deschamps will pull a surprise and bench Giroud and play Coman out left with Mbappe up top. It would either force England to sit back or risk Mbappe tearing Maguire and Stones apart.

He could always bring Giroud on at halftime if it's not working and sacrifice whichever of Dembele or Coman isn't having a good game.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

I think he’d have to drop Bellingham to make that happen, and he isn’t going to drop him at this stage.

phelans shorts

Why?

Playing without wingers is very doable, especially when you have a wing back (presumably Trippier) to work in attack. As good as Saka has been he’s not best placed to take advantage of Theo’s weakness (balls over his head). France’s left hand side is very good offensively, but also very dodgy defensively with Theo, Rabiot, Upamecano and Mbappe (lol, defending) who can all be got at.

Add in Loris behind them and there’s plenty of chances in it for England