England Discussion

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Harry Maguire can play a high line??

This season:
Tomori 1.17 tackles won per 90
Stones 0.09 tackles won per 90 (playing a weird hybrid)
Maguire 0.85 tackles won per 90

Tackle win percentage highest out of the three at 68%, no surprise Maguire 50%

Tomori pass completion 91.1% per 90
Stones pass completion 92.6% per 90
Maguire pass completion 83.6% per 90
Not all bad for Harry - Joe Gomes 82%

Tomori also tops the attempted pass rate at 74 per 90, closest was stone

Tomori becuase he plays the most pass, has the most touches at 84 per 90, second is Gomes.
You are aware defensive stats like that are pointless right? Since they're not adjusted by possessions i.e. number of attacks faced? Aside from tackle win percentage, which still needs to be volume for context

Watch Milan games, ask Milan fans who watch him on a weekly basis. He has a high top level, and great pace, but makes too many mistakes to be considered anything more than decent, and isn't particularly good in a high line, despite the pace. He's only ever looked good in it briefly playing next to Kalulu - who is actually great in a high line - and otherwise very much a "fine for serie A" case. Basically relies entirely on his pace, with subpar positioning, anticipation and decision making

Not always hes played the right side of a middle three;
No, he's been really good since Pioli freed him from defensive duties and started using him as an attacking midfielder. This is about role, not positioning. Before that he was a decent player, nothing more. Same as he'd always been. And again, aside from 1vs1 on the ball, he's bad defensively

Harvey Elliott can play in there and is playing well in the under 21
Is not a better creative passer than Alexander-Arnold

Loftus-Cheek covered above, Ward-Prowse I think equalled David Beckhams direct free-kick record which is handy in a tournament
Already said I don't know enough of Ward-Prowse to comment. Loftus-Cheek is a limited one trick pony. He's a great ball carrier. Good at making runs into the box. Really strong in 1vs duels on the ball, both ways. A subpar passer. And a sieve in terms of positioning, intuition, anticipation, focus and workrate, defensively.

M16Red

All well and good, and I think Tomori could be the best partner for Stones, but he’s not playing against the same caliber of opponent as Maguire. Stats across different leagues aren’t worth a rub.
Napoli have got to be the oddestly brilliant team on the planet. Some undeniably world class players have spent the best years of their career there. Maradona of course. Cavani and Koulibali recently.

Some players just absorb the insanity and fervour of that fan base and roll with it.

If I was Kvara or Osimhen I’d absolutely stay. Naples is incredible. I’ve only spent 6 weeks there across two different times, but I’d have given everything to have stayed. It’s a really unique City. Broken and weird but undeniably beautiful and appealing. It’s what Liverpool thinks it is. The only comparable for me would be Marseille.

Naples as a City and Napoli as a club are wedded to each other. The club identity is embedded in the City and the City’s identity is inextricably linked to the club.

I’d be over the moon if both players stayed for another two years and they won another couple of Scudetto and a Champions League.

Having said that… they may win the CL this year to complete a double, and without that end target, I suspect one of them will be sold.
I was using it a reference of playing style more then purely stats, I think the top 3 or four in the EPL can beat most teams, but after there is a drop off like West Ham to Luton etc. Its more about style of play as well.

TheBatman

IMO that would be a disaster for Scotland and for Wales as well, but ultimately it's up to the people
Why?

We have a bigger economy than Ireland.

There are nations with populations of thousands who survive just fine.

When did the rumour that Scotland is a 3rd world country come from?

Scotland contributions to the UK:

32% Land area
61% Sea area
90% Surface fresh water
65% North Sea natural gas production
96.5% North Sea crude oil production
47% Open cast coal production
81% Coal reserves at sites not yet in production
62% Timber production (green tonnes)
46% Total forest area (hectares)
92% Hydro electric production
40% Wind, wave, solar production
60% Fish Landings (total by Scottish vessels)
55% Fish Landings (total from Scottish waters)
30% Beef herd (breeding stock)
20% Sheep herd (breeding flock)
9% Dairy herd
10% Pig herd
15% Cereal holdings (hectares)
20% potato holdings (hectares)

£17 billion construction industry
£13 billion food and drink industry
£10 billion business services industry
£9.3 billion chemical services industry
£9.3 billion tourism industry
£7 billion financial services industry
£5 billion aeroservice industry £4.5 billion pound whisky exports industry
£3.1 billion pound life sciences £350 million pounds worth of textile exports

Gold-- one working mine in production last month. Second mine or gold field, found by Aberdeen University, This field has been extended to 200 square miles in Aberdeenshire.

There are very few countries in the WORLD that rival Scotland's resources per head.

These are the reasons why Labour and the Tories created a coalition in the guise of "Better together" to desperately keep Scotland in the Union.

There is also a reason why England don't have an independence party. It's because they profit greatly from the union. More than any UK country.

It would be a disaster for England if Scotland got independence.

An independent Scotland would have to join NATO immediately as England would inevitably invade and probably bomb Scotland. Why? Oil. England wouldn't lie down as they lose their golden goose.

croadyman

Pope is a better keeper than Pickford. A better coach than Southgate finds a way to make Trent work at RB. Tomori, Branthwaite, Colwill are all better options at CB that he has ignored.

Front 6 picks itself at this stage. He needs to get his back 5 right if your boys are going to perform as ye should at the Euros.
Yeah those guys won't get a proper look in until Southgate finally leaves the England job,also expect that White will be more open to a return when that happens too.

Scanny

An independent Scotland would have to join NATO immediately as England would inevitably invade and probably bomb Scotland. Why? Oil. England wouldn't lie down as they lose their golden goose.
I genuinely hope Scotland does get its independence but JFC this part cracked me up.
Absolute nonsense England would bomb Scotland for its oil. Get a grip.

TheBatman

I genuinely hope Scotland does get its independence but JFC this part cracked me up.
Absolute nonsense England would bomb Scotland for its oil. Get a grip.
I hope England gets it's independence. A union should be about equal parties.

Yes. Because a country bombing the crap out of another for oil never happens.

Talking of, 3 billion barrels of oil are off the coast of Palestine. FYI. I'm sure that's not relevant to anything....

Scanny

I hope England gets it's independence. A union should be about equal parties.

Yes. Because a country bombing the crap out of another for oil never happens.

Talking of, 3 billion barrels of oil are off the coast of Palestine. FYI. I'm sure that's not relevant to anything....
As I said. Nonsense.

The rest of your post mostly made sense. Spoiled it at the end.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Why?

We have a bigger economy than Ireland.

There are nations with populations of thousands who survive just fine.

When did the rumour that Scotland is a 3rd world country come from?

Scotland contributions to the UK:

32% Land area
61% Sea area
90% Surface fresh water
65% North Sea natural gas production
96.5% North Sea crude oil production
47% Open cast coal production
81% Coal reserves at sites not yet in production
62% Timber production (green tonnes)
46% Total forest area (hectares)
92% Hydro electric production
40% Wind, wave, solar production
60% Fish Landings (total by Scottish vessels)
55% Fish Landings (total from Scottish waters)
30% Beef herd (breeding stock)
20% Sheep herd (breeding flock)
9% Dairy herd
10% Pig herd
15% Cereal holdings (hectares)
20% potato holdings (hectares)

£17 billion construction industry
£13 billion food and drink industry
£10 billion business services industry
£9.3 billion chemical services industry
£9.3 billion tourism industry
£7 billion financial services industry
£5 billion aeroservice industry £4.5 billion pound whisky exports industry
£3.1 billion pound life sciences £350 million pounds worth of textile exports

Gold-- one working mine in production last month. Second mine or gold field, found by Aberdeen University, This field has been extended to 200 square miles in Aberdeenshire.

There are very few countries in the WORLD that rival Scotland's resources per head.

These are the reasons why Labour and the Tories created a coalition in the guise of "Better together" to desperately keep Scotland in the Union.

There is also a reason why England don't have an independence party. It's because they profit greatly from the union. More than any UK country.

It would be a disaster for England if Scotland got independence.

No idea, it wasn't me, but the majority of your countrymen don't agree with you

TheBatman

As I said. Nonsense.

The rest of your post mostly made sense. Spoiled it at the end.
It took the leaders of Labour and the Conservatives to have their backs to the wall for them to call for a ceasefire In Palestine.

Don't kid yourself, where Oil is concerned nothing is off the table.

No idea, it wasn't me, but the majority of your countrymen don't agree with you
That's not factually correct.

52.7% of Scottish born voters voted Yes. Voters who were born in the rest of the UK swung the vote as they voted 72.1% No.

Rojofiam

Pope
Trent Tomori Stones Shaw
Rice Mainoo
Saka Bellingham Foden
Kane​
Ramsdale would be a much better GK to switch to after the Euros, as he's actually a technical goalkeeper, who's good with his feet and at passing. If England want to play possession football and dominate on international level, he's the one to start bedding in, if Pickford is binned. Pope is similar to De Gea, that's why he'll eventually be replaced at Newcastle.

If you want to start phasing out Maguire, it would be infinitely better to have Stones at RCB and have Colwill or Branthwaite at LCB, instead of Tomori, who I feel like is worse than every other name I just mentioned, anyway.

Not sure about Trent. I'd rather have him at right back. If the coach can make it work, he can be a priceless asset for England. The other options are great as well, so it's not like Southgate can get it totally wrong. Walker, Trippier, etc. are all quality options.

Foden is not ideal on the left. Rashford, Grealish, Sterling, Gordon all better options there. If you want to find a place for Foden no matter what, it should be at #10 with Bellingham dropping back to #8, but then Mainoo gets left out.

My team for the Euros would be: Pickford - Walker Maguire Stones Shaw - Rice Mainoo - Rashford Bellingham Saka - Kane

After the tournament ends, you can start phasing out the older players if there's a great player you can replace them with. Colwill and Branthwaite are both really good and left footed as well, so it would make sense to have one of them replace Maguire eventually.

Doracle

Ramsdale would be a much better GK to switch to after the Euros, as he's actually a technical goalkeeper, who's good with his feet and at passing. If England want to play possession football and dominate on international level, he's the one to start bedding in, if Pickford is binned. Pope is similar to De Gea, that's why he'll eventually be replaced at Newcastle.

If you want to start phasing out Maguire, it would be infinitely better to have Stones at RCB and have Colwill or Branthwaite at LCB, instead of Tomori, who I feel like is worse than every other name I just mentioned, anyway.

Not sure about Trent. I'd rather have him at right back. If the coach can make it work, he can be a priceless asset for England.

Foden is not ideal on the left. Rashford, Grealish, Sterling, Gordon all better options there. If you want to find a place for Foden no matter what, it should be at #10 with Bellingham dropping back to #8, but then Mainoo gets left out.

My team for the Euros would be: Pickford - Walker Maguire Stones Shaw - Rice Mainoo - Rashford Bellingham Saka - Kane

After the tournament ends, you can start phasing out the older players if there's a great player you can replace him with. Colwill and Branthwaite are both really good and left footed as well, so it would make sense to have one of them replace Maguire eventually.
Agree with all that. The 11 you have chosen there is the same 11 I would have and it looks fairly uncontroversial to me. Foden might feel a little unlucky but he will be first sub and can be a game changer.

Lee565

I feel like our defensive issue could be solved by using either shaw or walker in central defence with stones as both have the much needed pace, maybe even both in a 3 man central defence with stones and go with saka and chilwell as attacking wing backs, 3 man midfield of Bellingham, mainoo and rice and kane and toney up front

Rojofiam

Agree with all that. The 11 you have chosen there is the same 11 I would have and it looks fairly uncontroversial to me. Foden might feel a little unlucky but he will be first sub and can be a game changer.
Agreed. I'd also accept if someone preferred a Bellingham-Rice pivot with either Foden or Maddison at #10 instead of Bellingham.

On the left, I'd be starting Rashford because for me, his pace and power is simply better for international football, where England won't be dominating their opponents for 90 minutes, like Manchester City do on a weekly basis. It's also not optimal for me to have a left footer on the left wing, because he can't cut in and either shoot, or pass to his overlapping fullback, like Saka does on the other side. I also have to mention how great of a partnership Shaw and Rashford have on the left side.

Rojofiam

I feel like our defensive issue could be solved by using either shaw or walker in central defence with stones as both have the much needed pace, maybe even both in a 3 man central defence with stones and go with saka and chilwell as attacking wing backs, 3 man midfield of Bellingham, mainoo and rice and kane and toney up front
If you go with a back 5, Maguire has to be the CCB in all scenarios IMO. He's more of a physical presence and a better organizer than Stones, or any English CB currently. He would be an absolute monster at the centre of a 5-man defense.

Josh 76

The definite players, if no injures, that Southgate will pick.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
?

Saka
Kane
?

The two remaining places in the team I would pick, would be, Mainoo and Foden.

Not sure Southgate will do that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The definite players, if no injures, that Southgate will pick.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
?

Saka
Kane
?

The two remaining places in the team I would pick, would be, Mainoo and Foden.

Not sure Southgate will do that.
What makes you think he'll drop Foden, and who do you think he'll pick instead?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What makes you think he'll drop Foden, and who do you think he'll pick instead?
Form going into the tournament might be huge. If Rashford goes on a tear up, it gives Southgate an alternative.

Having said that, let's just earmark Sterling.

Lee565

A front 3 of foden, kane and saka feels like shoe Horning your best players at the cost of the best balanced team, only saka has pace out of the 3 of them and none of them will stretch the opposition defence which does allow for the opposition to play a higher back line

duffer

Scout
A front 3 of foden, kane and saka feels like shoe Horning your best players at the cost of the best balanced team, only saka has pace out of the 3 of them and none of them will stretch the opposition defence which does allow for the opposition to play a higher back line
What would your front 3 be?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Rashford - Kane - Saka is almost objectively the best front three
Rashford is less technical of three, that's not saying he's bad BTW, but he is direct and we've seen how effective he can be when on form.

So, I generally like the variety of this three.

Ghirahim

England are favorites to win the Euros. Well I have them favorites anyway. The strength and depth of that England squad is amazing.

Rojofiam

2024 Marcus Rashford? I strongly disagree that's he's objectively part of an England starting XI.
Rashford is less technical of three, that's not saying he's bad BTW, but he is direct and we've seen how effective he can be when on form.

First of all, for the left wing, I don't see how you choose an incredible, left-footed, technical player in Foden, over a right-footed, PnP monster like Rashford, who also has incredible ball-striking and ball-carrying qualities.

2024 Marcus Rashford is still a better left winger than Phil Foden, despite having a bad season. Find a place for the latter in the middle, or on the right side...but there are better options in those areas as well.

For all the talk about Southgate being clueless, people want to shoehorn the most in-form players into the same team, disregarding optimal balance, and player qualities.

Rashford can be England's very own Mbappé or Vinícius on that left side.

I'm not trying to downplay Foden or be delusional about Rashford, I know he's been struggling this season. I just think Rashford is the perfect fit on that left wing for a major international tournament, but Foden can play a huge role for this England side, just in another position. Like I said, I'd rather have Grealish, Sterling or even Gordon at LW instead of shoehorning Foden into the starting 11, just because he's having his best season of his career.

GlasgowCeltic

Grealish and Rashford are the only ones who might take Fodens spot, but Rashford doesn’t deserve a place on form over Foden and I think Southgate prefers Rashford off the bench anyway, and he knows it’ll save him media grief to play Foden

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I didn't miss your post, I just thought it was a dumb post. Of course if Rashford goes on a tear up form-wise, that changes things but you could say that about Foden, Saka, Palmer, Bowen or even Mount.
For the left wing spot?

That's a straight shoot out between a few players.

Hammondo

So we are going to become more 1 dimensional again?

Doracle

2024 Marcus Rashford? I strongly disagree that's he's objectively part of an England starting XI.
That’s the guy with 8 goals or assists in his last 13 matches for his club, including magnificent goals against the best two clubs in the country, who also was England’s best player at the last World Cup? I’m curious which left winger you think is better placed to fill that spot?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That’s the guy with 8 goals or assists in his last 13 matches for his club, including magnificent goals against the best two clubs in the country, who also was England’s best player at the last World Cup? I’m curious which left winger you think is better placed to fill that spot?
Tell us you haven’t actually watched Rashford play for over a year without telling us you haven’t actually watched Rashford play for over a year.

Josh 76

I agree .
Trying to play Foden and Bellingham in the same team was like trying to play Gerrard and Lampard in the same team.

duffer

Scout
He started one game (which was the final group game after England had already qualified). England's best player at the world cup? Come on. He wasn't even England's best Man United player at the world cup (that was Maguire).

As for who I prefer, I've already said I'd prefer a front 3 of Kane, Saka and Foden.