England Discussion

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm surprised Anderson has snubbed Scotland for England but that could fix a midfield issue for you if he continues to improve.

Lee565

He was once a breath of fresh air when he took over and introduced youngsters to the side but now he is as guilty as the manager before him that people were getting fed up of, which was picking favourites when new players needed to be blooded in.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Get Sir Alex out of retirement. No salary, win the world cup or the knighthood is rescinded.
As a proud Englishman I imagine he would do it out of love

GazTheLegend

Who realistaclly could replace him?
If I was in charge of the FA I'd be waiting for Eddie Howes inevitable sacking when Newcastle get bored and go full feckoff oilclub and wants the big boys in. Howe's a league above Southgate.

IRN-BRUno

Squad for Australia and Italy games:

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale

Defenders: Levi Colwill, Lewis Dunk, Marc Guehi, Harry Maguire, John Stones, Fikayo Tomori, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Trent Alexander-Arnold

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham, Conor Gallagher, Jordan Henderson, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice

Forwards: Jarrod Bowen, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Harry Kane, James Maddison, Eddie Nketiah, Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka, Ollie Watkins

FerociousCorgis

still funny that even with all our other defenders sucking and maguire still not getting selected for us he finds a way to stay in the england squad. No wonder he was so happy to stay here when he clearly wasnt wanted. Nightmare scenario of EtH getting sacked and the glazers bringing in southgate to maximize the english players incoming haha.

cj_sparky

Same old, same old.

No left back (although main two have injuries), Maguire and Phillips selected. TAA in as a midfielder, but no Ward-Prowse and Henderson still getting in.

Others are also lucky to be in the squad due to their form.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Why Bowen over Ward-Prowse? Am I missing something?

still funny that even with all our other defenders sucking and maguire still not getting selected for us he finds a way to stay in the england squad. No wonder he was so happy to stay here when he clearly wasnt wanted. Nightmare scenario of EtH getting sacked and the glazers bringing in southgate to maximize the english players incoming haha.
Right now, the only CB lock in the team is Stones (assuming he is fit). And for this upcoming tournament Southgate will go with experience over potential, unless form is outstanding. None of Colwill/Tomori/Guehi/Dunk are pulling up trees yet, so it's more likely than not that Maguire makes the plane. But this is his last tournament i think.

GlasgowCeltic

wonder if he’s starting to think about Longstaff for that Henderson midfield pressing role

FerociousCorgis

Why Bowen over Ward-Prowse? Am I missing something?

Right now, the only CB lock in the team is Stones (assuming he is fit). And for this upcoming tournament Southgate will go with experience over potential, unless form is outstanding. None of Colwill/Tomori/Guehi/Dunk are pulling up trees yet, so it's more likely than not that Maguire makes the plane. But this is his last tournament i think.
well when you keep selecting the same guy and refusing to give other people experience, kinda makes it hard for them to show what they can do. Would assume it is his last but just found it funny how things are working out for maguire.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
well when you keep selecting the same guy and refusing to give other people experience, kinda makes it hard for them to show what they can do. Would assume it is his last but just found it funny how things are working out for maguire.
I agree, but Southgate isn't that guy; he's shown nothing that indicates he has the balls to make a sweeping team change months before the Euros. Who knows if he stays on after.

Definitely funny, given how many predicted his stay at United would result in his ejection from the England squad

Redstain

Unfortunately the one position England are quite stacked in. You could argue he deserves a call up more than Rashford though this season.
I think if the manager was ruthless that would be the move but I can understand the quality element of Rashford, he's totally out of it at United but strangely I think he can raise his level for England as he's not close to being the main man.

That's his biggest hindrance, Marcus should be what Pedro was at Barcelona. A quality player to be second or third behind a class striker and very good right winger to play off and with them (evident with Kane / Saka). Him refusing captaincy (nothing wrong with doing so) epitomises that, he doesn't have the makeup to lead an attack.

Oranges038

No idea how he can keep picking Phillips and Maguire. The qualifying groups are usually a walk in the park for England, this is the time he should be looking at players like Gordon, JWP or even giving Solly March a shout.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
According to Southgate, England vs Australia is "one of the great sporting rivalries". Am I missing something or is this guy on drugs?

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
According to Southgate, England vs Australia is "one of the great sporting rivalries". Am I missing something or is this guy on drugs?
You are missing that England and Australia have long standing rivalries in multiple sports, most notably "The Ashes" in Cricket.

Tyrion

It makes sense. They're each others main rivals in cricket and rugby league and big rivals in rugby union too and they're three of the biggest sports in each country. He said sporting rivalries, not football rivalries.

I'm not English but I think he's a decent manager. He's not as good as Mancini but Mancini has failed to even qualify for two tournaments so maybe Southgate is better suited to international management than managers with better looking CVs.

The idea that Southgate somehow has the best team England's ever had and the luckiest draw is a myth to dismiss his good results in tournaments. England has lost to plenty of crap teams before and every 10 or 15 years, English media declares a new golden generation. Their draws aren't that different from the norm and neither is the team but the results are better.

croadyman

Feel we should take two strikers to the Euros alongside Kane out of

Watkins
Wilson
Toney
Calvert-Lewis

Who would people pick?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Feel we should take two strikers to the Euros alongside Kane out of

Watkins
Wilson
Toney
Calvert-Lewis

Who would people pick?
Watkins and Wilson, Calvert-Lewis will be injured and Toney will be busy down the bookies

Lee565

It's kinda funny that he claimed Henderson is role model in post match press conference, the same role model that ditched competitive football for a fat pay day

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's kinda funny that he claimed Henderson is role model in post match press conference, the same role model that ditched competitive football for a fat pay day
So what if he did, a football career is short and he’s looking after his family