England Discussion

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
On a separate note, is this the first time England have the best team on the planet? Only France comes close.
I don't know who has the best team on the planet but France is likely not it. The current midfield isn't creative enough, maybe the introduction of Zaire-Emery and Thuram will change that reality but until then the midfield is too industrial and the defense isn't as solid as it was a few years ago.

Dr. StrangeHate

Not the "in good times and bad" type? I admire the honesty.
There are bad times and then there are Southgate times. My policy is no Southgate times. It is a story I 100% know the ending to. This guy has neutered the England team with the best attacking talent on the planet, what is he going to do to United.

PS: I always come back to watch unfortunately despite the torture subjected on us for the past decade.

GlasgowCeltic

Southgate gets the Alan Curbishley treatment from the English pundits, they all carry on about how he deserves a big job but none of them want him at their club

Fallon d'Floor

I don't know who has the best team on the planet but France is likely not it. The current midfield isn't creative enough, maybe the introduction of Zaire-Emery and Thuram will change that reality but until then the midfield is too industrial and the defense isn't as solid as it was a few years ago.
It's France. Comfortably too.

Maignan is a top GK.

The CB depth is ridiculous. Saliba, Konaté, Koundé, Upamecano, Lucas Hernandez, Pavard, Todibo, etc.

Theo Hernandez is the best LB in the world, for me. At least from an attacking perspective. Gusto is a very good RB prospect.

Dechamps is quite defensive with regards to his midfield. Double pivot. But it works. Tchouaméni, Rabiot, Camavinga, Zaïre-Emery and Fofana are good options for it.

Griezmann is the one who brings the creativity and imagination. Knowing that he has a strong defensive pivot behind him, he can roam around and dictate the game with playmaking ability. He's been a joy to watch in a France shirt over the past few years. Some very high level stuff.

Mbappé and Dembélé as wide options are as explosive and dynamic as it gets. Elite talent.

Giroud is Giroud. He's getting old and France do need to find a long term replacement for him, but he's still reliable at present.

Then you have good options off the bench such as Thuram and Nkunku.

There are some U21 players he could promote. Cherki and Tels could offer some dynamism.

Davicho

My Euro squad at the moment:

Pickford/Ramsdale/Pope

Walker/Gomez
Stones/Tomori
Maguire/Colwill
Shaw

Rice/Mainoo
TAA/Gallagher

Saka/Palmer
Bellingham/Maddison
Foden/Bowen/Gordon

Kane/Watkins

7 defenders to add one more attacking player. Gomez and Colwill can cover LB if needed.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's quite hard picking a squad for England now because there is so much talent in it in some areas.

Pickford, Saka, Bellingham, Walker, Stones, Kane, Foden and Rice are dead certs for me on ability/performance this season but then there are a lot of other positions which are up for grabs in the last 10 or so games.

I agree with the above that Watkins, Palmer, Maddison, Bowen and Gordon are in good positions for the attacking spots but then you have players like Rashford, Grealish and Toney that can still stake a claim.

In the CB spots you have Guehi, Konsa, Tomori, Branthwaite, Colwill, Gomez who are all battling for a place and it may come down to who can cover in various spots.

At RB/LB you have Shaw, Chillwell, TAA, Trippier, White, Livramento, James, Lewis, Rico Henry etc.

At CM you have Loftus-Cheek, Gallagher, Ward-Prowse, Mount, Jones, Ramsey, Eze, Garner, Mainoo, Phillips etc.

It's an easy pick in some spots but in others there isn't much between the choices so it's hard when there are so many viable options.

Last edited:

TheGame

It's quite hard picking a squad for England now because there is so much talent in it in some areas.

Pickford, Saka, Bellingham, Walker, Stones, Kane, Foden and Rice are dead certs for me on ability/performance this season but then there are a lot of other positions which are up for grabs in the last 10 or so games.

I agree with the above that Watkins, Palmer, Maddison, Bowen and Gordon are in good positions for the attacking spots but then you have players like Rashford, Grealish and Toney that can still stake a claim.

In the CB spots you have Guehi, Konsa, Tomori, Branthwaite, Colwill, Gomez who are all battling for a place and it may come down to who can cover in various spots.

At RB/LB you have Shaw, Chillwell, TAA, Trippier, White, Livramento, James, Lewis, Rico Henry.

At CM you have Loftus-Cheek, Gallagher, Ward-Prowse, Mount, Jones, Ramsey, Eze, Garner, Mainoo, Phillips etc.

It's an easy pick in some spots but in others there isn't much between the choices so it's hard when there are so many viable options.
I don't think squad wise its that difficult really. From that list Mount won't in contention as injured. Phillips, Chillwell, Ward-Prowse, Garner, Lewis, Rico Henry, Livramento, James are either inexperienced, injured and/or in poor form. They will be in contention for a handful of spots between them. I'd like to think Loftus Cheek will be selected as he is in great form however you can never tell with Southgate.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think squad wise its that difficult really. From that list Mount won't in contention as injured. Phillips, Chillwell, Ward-Prowse, Garner, Lewis, Rico Henry, Livramento, James are either inexperienced, injured and/or in poor form. They will be in contention for a handful of spots between them. I'd like to think Loftus Cheek will be selected as he is in great form however you can never tell with Southgate.
Because of where Southgate has holed himself in, such as the defence and midfield, he's going to have to pick players in either poor form or inexperienced.

saivet

My Euro squad at the moment:

Pickford/Ramsdale/Pope

Walker/Gomez
Stones/Tomori
Maguire/Colwill
Shaw

Rice/Mainoo
TAA/Gallagher

Saka/Palmer
Bellingham/Maddison
Foden/Bowen/Gordon

Kane/Watkins

7 defenders to add one more attacking player. Gomez and Colwill can cover LB if needed.
Probably not far off but I think you need another LB in the squad. Chilwell hasn't been great but I'd have him in the squad and probably would go for Trippier ahead of Gomez as well. Trusting Shaw to stay fit, seems like a big risk.

One thing I do find interesting is that most of England's best wide players are left footed. Out of your 5 wide players, only Gordon is right footed. I think he'd be fortunate to make it, but I think I'd bring in Rashford for Bowen. I think there's no chance Bowen gets many minutes and having another right footed winger would help.

Davicho

Probably not far off but I think you need another LB in the squad. Chilwell hasn't been great but I'd have him in the squad and probably would go for Trippier ahead of Gomez as well. Trusting Shaw to stay fit, seems like a big risk.

One thing I do find interesting is that most of England's best wide players are left footed. Out of your 5 wide players, only Gordon is right footed. I think he'd be fortunate to make it, but I think I'd bring in Rashford for Bowen. I think there's no chance Bowen gets many minutes and having another right footed winger would help.
Yes, i thought the same about the wingers. I was tempted to include Grealish for the same reason, but put Bowen because i think he deserves it more.
The other worry is the lack of a experienced defensive midfielder in case Rice is not available, but could not think of anyone (Henderson and Phillips are not options IMO).

saivet

Yes, i thought the same about the wingers. I was tempted to include Grealish for the same reason, but put Bowen because i think he deserves it more.
The other worry is the lack of a experienced defensive midfielder in case Rice is not available, but could not think of anyone (Henderson and Phillips are not options IMO).
I think and suspect one of them will go due to the lack of viable options. I think Southgate probably won't view Mainoo as being physically strong enough to play in the single pivot which I do understand. I think it will probably be Henderson and Phillips won't make it unless he actually starts playing well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Jordan fecking Henderson. Give me strength.

hobbers

Absolutely hilarious when you look at all those forwards and the amazing seasons most of them are having.

Bowen, Saka, Maddison, Kane, Foden, Palmer, Watkins...

And then.... Rashford. Spot the odd one out :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Did Ben White sleep with his wife or something?
Southgate said there's no issues, and White just doesn't want to be selected.

I wonder if it has something to do with White just not liking football? He see's it as a job, and in that case, the desire to play for your country/ most likely sit on the bench and watch Kyle Walker probably doesn't appeal to him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

I wonder if it has something to do with White just not liking football? He see's it as a job, and in that case, the desire to play for your country/ most likely sit on the bench and watch Kyle Walker probably doesn't appeal to him.
Not every footballer likes football, so fair enough. Anyway international breaks is when he tops up his tan.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

If Ben White played for United, he would get way more flack from the press I reckon for refusing to play for England.

saivet

If Ben White played for United, he would get way more flack from the press I reckon for refusing to play for England.
It had always been suspected but only now confirmed by Southgate. I don't think he'll get flak as RB is a position where we probably won't miss him. If he was a sure thing to start I think him/Southgate would get called out on.

berbasloth4

Does Ben white qualify for any other national teams?
he only has friendly caps so think eligible to switch?