England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

PoTMS

Shaw has been far and away the best left back in the league this season. Possibly the world.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Shaw is a better full back than Chilwell, I hope they pick the latter though.

Ekeke

To reach Semis- you'd have to beat 2nd placed team from France's group in Ro16, most likely have to beat Spain.

Honestly, I hope England does well, and I do think you can beat Portugal. But I think having looked at Spain the other day, they are technically way too superior to you and your defence is pretty average
I think its possible we could beat a good team like that. I think we have enough talent. But I dont rate Southgate and his tactics or selection, so getting the best of the players isnt what I expect. Maybe for 1 big match, but not for the whole tournament

Adcuth

And he isn't. He literally just said the reason England won win is cause they'd play players like chillwell.
Chilwell who just won the cl just over a week ago. Make sense of that one for me.
He was part of a team that won the CL. That team isnt playing in the euros funnily enough and neither do we have the same manager. Overall Shaw is the better player...so he plays over Chilwell.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not the strongest Spain side though?
Not as strong as their successful sides, but they absolutely battered Portugal. Had Morata been slightly less Werner-esque, they'd have won by a 2 or 3 goal margin.

Their defence is still pretty good, have among the best midfields (underrated if we're being honest) and if they start Moreno instead of Morata, I'd fancy them to be the dark horses for the tournament

Kag

If we play five at back, I would have both Shaw and Chillwell. Chillwell as LB and Shaw as LCB.
Exactly this. The thought of Mings on the left of a three man defence is terrifying.

If we go five then it has to be James, Walker, Stones, Shaw and Chilwell. Full back galore but it’s full of talent.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
He was part of a team that won the CL. That team isnt playing in the euros funnily enough and neither do we have the same manager. Overall Shaw is the better player...so he plays over Chilwell.
The formation he played in will likely be used. Something he's far more used to.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Exactly this. The thought of Mings on the left of a three man defence is terrifying.

If we go five then it has to be James, Walker, Stones, Shaw and Chilwell. Full back galore but it’s full of talent.
Loses too much height.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Perhaps. But I’ll remind you that the alternative is Mings being eaten alive on the touchline.
Even mings should be fine with rice babysitting right in front of him.

Adcuth

Not really. Obviously I don't agree with him all the time just like most fans but he is not an idiot.
With the attacking talent in the squad yet everyone thinks he's going to a back 5 and probably drop one of our better players to incorporate walker at rcb. Thats idiotic, Southgate is a shit house who cares about not losing more than winning. It'll show in this tournament too and then he'll hopefully he'll be sacked.

anant

I think its possible we could beat a good team like that. I think we have enough talent. But I dont rate Southgate and his tactics or selection, so getting the best of the players isnt what I expect. Maybe for 1 big match, but not for the whole tournament
The issue I think you'd face is that apart from a few positions, no one knows who'll be starting. Whether Southgate will prefer his trusted players or players who've delivered for England or the players who are most in form right now - and the players who fall in all these boxes aren't many.

We don't even have an idea what his preferred formation is - is he playing with 4 ATB like he's done recently or 5 - which he did at last WC (and the composition of 26 man side indicated that)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Hes not gonna play a back 3 with 2 of them being cbs.
Without? Yeh I agree which is why he would have been better firstly throwing away the shite 3 at the back but failing that putting in either white or Coady and having Shaw as the left CB.

Adcuth

The formation he played in will likely be used. Something he's far more used to.
Formation and tactics are 2 different things. The team will play completely different to Chelsea so it may as well be a different formation too. Wont make a difference regardless. Shaw is the better player and he will start ahead of him.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Without? Yeh I agree which is why he would have been better firstly throwing away the shite 3 at the back but failing that putting in either white or Coady and having Shaw as the left CB.
Shit 2 fullbacks my bad.
One will be stones
Walker played rcb last time will do the same this time. Coady is a nothing player. So it's either mings or white.

TrustInJanuzaj

Shit 2 fullbacks my bad.
One will be stones
Walker played rcb last time will do the same this time. Coady is a nothing player. So it's either mings or white.
Coady is still a far better player than Mings.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Shaw and Tierney have been the best left backs in the league this season. Shaw edges is as he was in a better team and played more games.

Chilwell has rarely played left back and when he did, wasn’t too convincing defensively. Impressed under Tuchel though but not as consistent as the two above

Robertson was good this season but not at the level of last season. Easily the best player in their back 4 though.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Yet he was the most dangerous attacker in that first half. Are you sure you are watching the same game?
The most dangerous attacker and yet not involved in the two occasions hit the bar. Also gave the ball away on numerous occasions. Sancho wasn't much better tbf but Rashford, just like for us, just routinely dribbles into traffic and loses the ball in dangerous positions. It's like clockwork. Yes he does occasionally make things happen but he is such a liability.

TrustInJanuzaj

The most dangerous attacker and yet not involved in the two occasions hit the bar. Also gave the ball away on numerous occasions. Sancho wasn't much better tbf but Rashford, just like for us, just routinely dribbles into traffic and loses the ball in dangerous positions. It's like clockwork. Yes he does occasionally make things happen but he is such a liability.
I’m not even Rashfords biggest fan but he looked sharp in the first half. Even Dixon said that and he couldn’t spot his reflection in the mirror. I thought he got worse second half but still carried a general threat.

Dan_F

I doubt he’s going to throw Shaw in at LCB after maybe a handful of games there his whole career.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I’m not even Rashfords biggest fan but he looked sharp in the first half. Even Dixon said that and he couldn’t spot his reflection in the mirror. I thought he got worse second half but still carried a general threat.
That's what concerns me is that when he's 'looking sharp' he still sparks opposition counter attack. He's not a bad player, he has all the tools and makes stuff happen and he brings unpredictability. He deserves to be in the squad. I just cannot fathom how he could be starting though.

Classical Mechanic

That's what concerns me is that when he's 'looking sharp' he still sparks opposition counter attack. He's not a bad player, he has all the tools and makes stuff happen and he brings unpredictability. He deserves to be in the squad. I just cannot fathom how he could be starting though.
There are two forwards in the England squad that have real direct pace that can stretch defences and open space for other attackers. Rashford is one of them. If neither he or Sterling start then you end up with a lot of players that like to come towards the ball which enables the opposition defence to be more compact and contain England's players more easily.

Castia

1 goal in his last 10 for United, overplayed, carrying an injury, and in poor form. Bench option for me, because he can do things others can't, so could be useful, but should not start over Foden, for example.

Reckon you will find most England fans agree with me.
How many of those 10 games was he shunted to the right side where he clearly can’t play to a high level?

Not excusing his form by the way, it’s clear he’s been off it a bit the Europa final says it all but some people are acting like he’s scored 3 goals all season and has been terrible, it’s only the past 4-5 weeks of the season he dropped off and that was clearly down to fitness.

Already looked better today after getting a bit of time off, he’s got another week now before the first England game he should be ok.

PoTMS

How many of those 10 games was he shunted to the right side where he clearly can’t play to a high level?

Not excusing his form by the way, it’s clear he’s been off it a bit the Europa final says it all but some people are acting like he’s scored 3 goals all season and has been terrible, it’s only the past 4-5 weeks of the season he dropped off and that was clearly down to fitness.

Already looked better today after getting a bit of time off, he’s got another week now before the first England game he should be ok.
Think someone said earlier it was 4 goals in his last 22 Premier League games. Started off like a house on fire but he's been struggling for more than half a season. He should be benched as there are better options and he will perform better against tired legs.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Not as strong as their successful sides, but they absolutely battered Portugal. Had Morata been slightly less Werner-esque, they'd have won by a 2 or 3 goal margin.

Their defence is still pretty good, have among the best midfields (underrated if we're being honest) and if they start Moreno instead of Morata, I'd fancy them to be the dark horses for the tournament
Why should they be darkhorses?

They are easily a top 5 team for this tournament, if not top 3. Their midfield is certainly one of the best in the competition, last 10 years at Euro under 21 level they have been the most consistent team in Europe, maybe only Germany has been as consistent as them.

I have been reading a lot of comments saying because they don't have Villa, Xavi or Iniesta they have a crap team, clearly some people are getting hyped up by big name players and don't pay attention to how any youth team from Spain works until the senior level, it's not because they didn't performed recently at top level on recent tournaments they are a weak team.

By the way their under 21 team did the same to Portugal the previous day, only difference was this time we had the luck to score with a own goal. Since the last World Cup the teams I saw playing against us who their midfield impressed me the most was at Italy on the first half, and Spain during 60 minutes, ok France with different type of play also, but if you have top level players on the midfield you control the majority of the games, scoring or winning is another matter, but they have no reason to fear no one.

Also think Germany will show up with the Bayern players dynamics.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Shaw is a better full back than Chilwell, I hope they pick the latter though.
Very much agree with that.
Shaw is performing extremely well and most importantly, he is really consistent.
And you can see the amount of confidence he has by the way he is getting forward much more.
Absolutely better and in better form than Chilwell.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There are two forwards in the England squad that have real direct pace that can stretch defences and open space for other attackers. Rashford is one of them. If neither he or Sterling start then you end up with a lot of players that like to come towards the ball which enables the opposition defence to be more compact and contain England's players more easily.
Very good point.

Amarsdd

I would love an oppo fan or some of the United fans we see here to be the England manager. That would mean none of our English players would be picked and lots of rest for them to get ready for United.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I take your point I would go with Sterling though. He just keeps the ball better. We need to build up pressure for defences to crack. Rashford for all his great attributes does seem to be an expert at releasing the pressure on opponents. He will make up for it with a key pass or something but you can get the same or similar quality from another player who is less likely to be the link that comes unstuck.

anant

Why should they be darkhorses?

They are easily a top 5 team for this tournament, if not top 3. Their midfield is certainly one of the best in the competition, last 10 years at Euro under 21 level they have been the most consistent team in Europe, maybe only Germany has been as consistent as them.

I have been reading a lot of comments saying because they don't have Villa, Xavi or Iniesta they have a crap team, clearly some people are getting hyped up by big name players and don't pay attention to how any youth team from Spain works until the senior level, it's not because they didn't performed recently at top level on recent tournaments they are a weak team.

By the way their under 21 team did the same to Portugal the previous day, only difference was this time we had the luck to score with a own goal. Since the last World Cup the teams I saw playing against us who their midfield impressed me the most was at Italy on the first half, and Spain during 60 minutes, ok France with different type of play also, but if you have top level players on the midfield you control the majority of the games, scoring or winning is another matter, but they have no reason to fear no one.

Also think Germany will show up with the Bayern players dynamics.
The reason I'm calling them dark horses is because not many are talking about them. Nearly everyone is expecting one of France, England or Portugal to win. Maybe even Belgium. However, not many are giving teams like Italy, Spain and Germany a chance to go all the way, despite some of them having easier draws, being in form sides and having decent squads. If I'm being honest, I actually expect 2 of these 3 sides (maybe all 3) to reach the Semis