England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

TrustInOle

Be honest; if you can pick between AWB and that four FB, what two would you want to see in United shirt next year?
AWB and R.James. Trent will end up playing further up the pitch in the future and Walker is a pace merchant who gets caught out too often. AWB and James can both defend and attack and have potential on their sides, admittedly things to improve upon too.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
AWB and R.James. Trent will end up playing further up the pitch in the future and Walker is a pace merchant who gets caught out too often. AWB and James can both defend and attack and have potential on their sides, admittedly things to improve upon too.
I reckon Walker will be playing as a right center back, so TAA and Trippier make a lot more sense as right wing back options than AWB or James for that matter although James can play both systems.

No way we take four RB's. One of TAA or James will miss out.

Ramsdale, TAA, White, JWP, Saka, Coady, Watkins out
Actually i forgot about him.

Although i think Southgate will take a lot of fullbacks because he loves a back 3 and wingbacks.

The Purley King

Be honest; if you can pick between AWB and that four FB, what two would you want to see in United shirt next year?
I'd have AWB and then its a toss up between James and Walker. I like Walker's recovery pace, but James seems a little better going forward. I wouldn't take TAA because his actual defending isn't good enough imo. Trippier I haven't watched this year, but he's a pretty limited player in comparison to the others, he's steady but unspectacular.

croadyman

I would leave out Ramsdale, White, Mings ( he won't), Lingard, JWP, Saka & Watkins, the only reason I am leaving in Alexander-Arnold is because with no JWP we don't really have any top drawer free kick takers. I realise that leaves us very light in the midfield options so would be very surprised if both of them miss out but couldn't find a way to drop any of the RB's

diarm

It's amazing how Liverpool managed to concede fewer goals than us this year, considering they had such a liability at right back while playing infants and midfielders at CB.

I get that we're United fans, but anyone suggesting Wan-Bissaka is a better right back than Alexander-Arnold needs to give their head a wobble. Trent is not as bad a defender as some of us like to pretend - nor is Wan-Bissaka as good a defender.

In a similar vein as Wan-Bissaka not being as poor an attacker as fans of other clubs like to pretend. We all love pointing fingers while doing the same shit ourselves.

Swiss_Red89

Pickford is seriously underrated among you English people. Sure, he is sometimes butter fingers but he often pulls amazing saves. As i recall, he was pretty good on World cup
This.
He may not be a world beater, but has he ever put a foot wrong in an england shirt so far? You would think he has had howler after howler for england the way some are talking him down.

Why not go behind him and support him? I don't see a better keeper in this squad. (Henderson is definetly not the better choice than Pickford for this tournament).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
My guess:

Goalkeepers:

• Dean Henderson (Manchester United)
  • Sam Johnstone (West Brom)
  • Jordan Pickford (Everton)
  • Aaron Ramsdale (Sheffield United)
Defenders:

• Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
  • Ben Chilwell (Chelsea)
  • Conor Coady (Wolves)
  • Ben Godfrey (Everton)
  • Reece James (Chelsea)
  • Harry Maguire (Manchester United)
  • Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa)
  • Luke Shaw (Manchester United)
  • John Stones (Manchester City)
  • Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid)
  • Kyle Walker (Manchester City)
  • Ben White (Brighton)
Midfielders:

• Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund)
  • Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)
  • Jesse Lingard (West Ham)
  • Mason Mount (Chelsea)
  • Kalvin Phillips (Leeds)
  • Declan Rice (West Ham)
  • James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)
Forwards:

• Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton)
  • Phil Foden (Man City)
  • Jack Grealish (Aston Villa)
  • Mason Greenwood (Manchester United)
  • Harry Kane (Tottenham)
  • Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)
  • Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)
  • Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund)
  • Raheem Sterling (Man City)
  • Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)
I reckon JWP will stay in the squad and either Lingard or another forward will miss out (one of Greenwood or Sancho) other than that agreed

Paul_Scholes18

I reckon JWP will stay in the squad and either Lingard or another forward will miss out (one of Greenwood or Sancho) other than that agreed
I think Reece James should not be in the squad. He is not that good. If they play with wingbacks maybe, but I rather have TAA anyway.

TrustInOle

I reckon Walker will be playing as a right center back, so TAA and Trippier make a lot more sense as right wing back options than AWB or James for that matter although James can play both systems.
If we end up 5 at the back then yeah, I would agree on your assesment, but if Harry is available then most things point to us continuing with the 4 at the back, although game situations can vary so both systems may indeed be needed, in which case I can atleast understand the AWB exclusion

PoTMS

Oh please. I understand somes sentiments about tracking at the back post, that needs to improve for sure. But he is improving and certainyl has going forward, has been one of our most consistent performers this season. I agree we have a lot of right backs so can see why he isnt named. But people keep lauding ALexander Arnold, he cant defend and is positionally much worse than Bissaka. Who would you sign for us then to replace him out of interest?
Any of England's 4 right backs, for starters.

saivet

In terms of who Southgate drops, assuming everyone is fit, I'd imagine it will be:
  1. Ramsdale
  2. TAA or James
  3. Godfrey or White (I think he may well drop both and keep Bellingham or Lingard)
  4. Lingard
  5. Bellingham
  6. Watkins
  7. Saka

I think it would be a big mistake if he leaves out Bellingham but given how he hardly used him in the most recent qualifiers, I think he will. I think the other players on the edge would be Greenwood and JWP. I'd be surprised if any different names were left out.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's amazing how Liverpool managed to concede fewer goals than us this year, considering they had such a liability at right back while playing infants and midfielders at CB.

I get that we're United fans, but anyone suggesting Wan-Bissaka is a better right back than Alexander-Arnold needs to give their head a wobble. Trent is not as bad a defender as some of us like to pretend - nor is Wan-Bissaka as good a defender.

In a similar vein as Wan-Bissaka not being as poor an attacker as fans of other clubs like to pretend. We all love pointing fingers while doing the same shit ourselves.
I think AWB is underrated and has had a good season. I don't think he should be going but I don't think he's far off and I do think he's had a better season than TAA.

sideshowbob

Surprised that most people have Saka being left out, I think his versatility means he’s definitely going to be in the 26.

I’d say the 7 to miss out will be:

Ramsdale
TAA or James
Godfrey
White
JWP or Bellingham
Lingard
Watkins

GlasgowCeltic

Imagine Fergie had plumped with Heinze over Evra because he was perceived to be the better defender, and ignored the massive upside youd get from Evra offensively

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Incredibly, Rashford is already the 7th most senior member of that squad based on when he made his England debut. It’s such a relatively inexperienced team at international level.

I think AWB is underrated and has had a good season. I don't think he should be going but I don't think he's far off and I do think he's had a better season than TAA.
Because AWB is known for having his strength in defensive 1-on-1s, he’s developed an unmerited reputation for being poor going forward because he’s not Trent. His numbers are sound in comparison to the England full backs not called Alexander-Arnold.

TheReligion

Abusive
Their midfield options are woeful. They’re stacked in some positions and bare in some. Hard to see them get past the first top nation they face.
No Danny Ings is scandalous to be honest. England's midfield looks dreadful also.
That's the nature of international football. It's rare you get a squad that's perfectly balanced all over. You have to play to your strengths.

The narrative is set with Wan Bissaka. He can’t attack. Despite scoring and assisting more goals than Reece James, Kieran Trippier or Kyle Walker.
It's a funny one. Statistics have him as the best RB this season and featuring in teams of the year.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I think it should have been TAA, Walker and AWB in an ideal scenario.

If you're playing back 5, Walker is your RCB and TAA can play RWB. If you want to play a back 4, Walker can play in most games, if it's some poor oppo or you're looking for a goal, TAA comes in and AWB when playing against the Mbappes and all.

I dont like Southgate's approach to big games, but when you think about it, defence is more important than attack if you want to win major tournaments. Most games in QFs, Semis and Finals are close affairs and you can't afford to have TAA as the RB or even James in a back 4 for that matter.

AWB offers a different skillset, a useful skillset which might have been important in the latter stages of the competition

tidraKS

This Kalvin Phillips guy is totally overrated. I saw the match against Albania (who are quite poor), and all he did was pass the ball backwards or sideways.

Not a fan of people that can cross the ball are you? Ward-Prowse, Alexander-Arnold and Saka all out. Set pieces are one of England's biggest strengths, Maguire even mentioned they spend an enormous amount of time in training on it.
Kane can take corners. :wenger:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Incredibly, Rashford is already the 7th most senior member of that squad based on when he made his England debut. It’s such a relatively inexperienced team at international level.
Based on international caps hes 5th
Stirling 61... 26 years old
Walker 55... 30 years old
Kane 53... 27 years old
Stones 42... 26 years old
Rashford 40... 23 years old

And with so many right backs its possible Walker misses out

Alek M

Da manic one
Funny how English midfield has gone downhill. From Scholes, Gerrard Lempard to these nubs. Imagine Scholes in this midfield.

Acole9

Outstanding
Only real surprise is no Ings and maybe Dier. Not because I think the latter deserves to be in the squad but because I thought he was a Southgate favourite. Apart from that it's pretty close to how I thought it would look (Obviously numbers will be narrowed down soon)

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This.
He may not be a world beater, but has he ever put a foot wrong in an england shirt so far? You would think he has had howler after howler for england the way some are talking him down.

Why not go behind him and support him? I don't see a better keeper in this squad. (Henderson is definetly not the better choice than Pickford for this tournament).
And I thought it was only me who liked Pickford in goal.
Yes he makes the odd mistake. But that is normally coming out too much.
Very good shot stopper and good with his feet.
With Pope unfortunately out, he should be number one.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Funny how English midfield has gone downhill. From Scholes, Gerrard Lempard to these nubs. Imagine Scholes in this midfield.
This was during the so called golden generation.
Technically, Scholes was easily the best, but due to the reliance of too rigid a 442, Scholes was almost always out of position.
And England won nothing.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Surprised to see 4 RB included (5 if you include Godfrey who can play across the back line) and none of them being AWB.

While I understand the arguments in selecting some of the others, I still think AWB outshines alot of the others with his one on one and defensive qualities.

I know he has his limitations (of which he has addressed and improved in alot of areas) but you cannot deny he is one of the best defenders 1v1 in the world.

I'm sure if Southgate was to ask the forwards/wingers which player they'd least like to face in that position the majority would say AWB or Walker. Not TAA, Trippier or James.

I personally find it quite insulting to AWB the fact that he keeps getting overlooked. Especially when you consider the inclusions of Henderson/Maguire/Shaw/Greenwood/Rashford/Lingard. Surely you'd want players who have a good understanding of eachother too.

saivet

It lacks depth but I think Bellingham and Rice are pretty good young prospects for the future and would complement each other well if we were to play a double pivot.