England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
If England don't get to the semi finals minimum then I think he has to go.
I feel like he's such a bad choice when you consider the generation of players England have now. The squad is good enough to compete with France and Germany.

Lee565

Why is southgate stringing this out, a lot of the other nations have named their 26 already

jesperjaap

Any of England's 4 right backs, for starters.
Well as all of them are at rivals bar Tripper that is unlikely. Would you sign Trippier over Bissaka then? I wouldnt but forgetting that, that is hardly a bad thing as we have some of the best full backs around int hsi country. Saying you would have them ahead of Bissaka hardly makes him a bad player in itself.
I am biased as been a massive fan of him since he broke thorugh at Palace. I think the curve of progression he is on has been slower than I expected, but for me his an already a very good full back with certain oarts of his games need a lot of improvement on. But you could say the same abotu Alexander Arnold too in my opinion who has been lauded the best full back in Europe, which I disagree with. Personally all round I actually think Reece James is the best as though he isnt the best of oru full backs at any facet, he is probably the second best in most of them....but Bissaka a poor player who shouldnt be in our first eleven, I totally disagree with

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Are you implying England has to eliminate France/Germany/Portugal (you are facing them before Semifinals)?

When was the last time England eliminated a strong/traditional side in a knock out match?

1966 WC?

Last edited:
Or if he wins it!

it will be a mixture of results and performance. The press don’t seem to be anywhere near as bad as they used to be with England managers.

I dont see any particular alternatives out there, unless they go for someone like Lampard - but the England job usually signals the start of the end of anyone’s career, so he and most people would be foolish to take the job.

Acole9

Outstanding
Are you implying England has to eliminate France/Germany/Portugal (you are facing them before Semifinals)?

When was the last time England eliminated a strong/traditional side in a knock out match?

1966 WC?
With the talented young players they have there are no excuses. I saw Southgate on the news downplaying it all but I really think any less than semi final he has to go.

MU655

I feel negativity is going to cost us. Southgate's tactics of playing with no attacking midfielder has created a lot of problems for the team in the qualifiers. There is just too much of a gap.

We are pretty much ceding the midfield to have all our attack come from the wingers and wing-backs. It is too much in one area of the pitch that makes us very easy to defend against.

He is going to waste the attacking potential of this team if he sticks with it in the Euros.

Foden, Grealish, Kane, Rashford, Mount, Sancho, Saka, Sterling, and Greenwood is one of our most talented attacking front lines for ages. It will be a shame if we don't make proper use of it.

diarm

[
I feel negativity is going to cost us. Southgate's tactics of playing with no attacking midfielder has created a lot of problems for the team in the qualifiers. There is just too much of a gap.
This would be absolute madness. Attacking midfield is the strongest position in English football by a country mile.

Foden, Mount, Grealish, Lingard, Maddison, Willock, Barkley just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a couple I've missed out.

Only Southgate could look at that lot and think "let's play without an attacking midfielder".

MU655

[

This would be absolute madness. Attacking midfield is the strongest position in English football by a country mile.

Foden, Mount, Grealish, Lingard, Maddison, Willock, Barkley just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a couple I've missed out.

Only Southgate could look at that lot and think "let's play without an attacking midfielder".
Yeah, it is weird, especially when he played with Lingard and Ali in the world cup. Now we have better players, he doesn't want to play even one attacking midfielder.

We are more suited to play the formation in the World Cup now than we were then.

Considering how we struggled to score goals against the qualifier sides, I think we are in for an underwhelming tournament. Too many defenders, not enough attackers.

Lee565

I think it is laughable that southgate brought up the idea that trippier can play left back/wingback when you have shaw, chilwell and saka (wingback) that all great options already for that side. I would say Saka's versatility is better than that of trippier if one of them had to be left out.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
It's a bit concerning that we spent £50m on a guy who isn't in the first 4 options for England at right back.
it's actually good for united. fresh feet, regeneration and all that

PoTMS

If Southgate had any balls, he would drop Rashford and/or Sterling from the starting lineup and pick players in form. Both have been awful for several months and have hardly lit up the world in an England shirt anyway. Grealish, Foden and Greenwood are all worthy of starting ahead of the pair at the moment.

Judas

Open to offers
Rashford out, Greenwood in. It's only logical. Rashford needs the rest, Greenwood is one of the very best finishers we've got.

Southgate is a plonker.

Rooney1987

So based on reports not going.
Ramsdale
Godfrey
White
Trent
Greenwood
Watkins
Ward-Prowse (So conflicting reports already Sky/EPSN saying Ward-Prowse goes but Athletic so no)

Greenwood and Trent should both be going but Southgate has treated both players badly. The way he handle the Greenwood/Foden situation was very poor and now hes gonna pick him to boot him out again. Its also odd to not include 1 of Trent or Prowse as they're England best set-piece takers.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So based on reports
Ramsdale
Godfrey
White
Trent
Greenwood
Watkins
Ward-Prowse (So conflicting reports already Sky/EPSN saying Ward-Prowse goes but Athletic so no)

Greenwood and Trent should both be going but Southgate has treated both players badly. The way he handle the Greenwood/Foden situation was very poor and now hes gonna pick him to boot him out again.
Surprised Lingard staying in ahead of Greenwood if true. Would say it's between Greenwood/Saka/JWP/Lingard for the last 2 spots anyway, surprised Saka and Lingard are the 2 and not Greenwood and JWP. Especially JWP. England literally have Henderson and Rice in midfield who have been injured a fair bit this season, and then Kalvin Phillips who play deeper in midfield. The rest are defenders/fullbacks/attacking midfielders or wingers. Strange to not add a goalscorer like Greenwood in there or a proper central midfielder like JWP in case an injury happens.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I feel like he's such a bad choice when you consider the generation of players England have now. The squad is good enough to compete with France and Germany.
Ok. Who else would you have?

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
They would realistically have the choice between Lampard, Howe, Dyche, Gerrard, Potter, Dean Smith, Wilder, or Parker if they went with a English manager.
Not a great list but most if not all of them have a better track record than Southgate, and most have shown more tactical nous.

If they went with a foreigner, I reckon Benitez would be a good choice for them. Not sure how the media would act around him though.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They would realistically have the choice between Lampard, Howe, Dyche, Gerrard, Potter, Dean Smith, Wilder, or Parker if they went with a English manager.
Not a great list but most if not all of them have a better track record than Southgate, and most have shown more tactical nous.

If they went with a foreigner, I reckon Benitez would be a good choice for them. Not sure how the media would act around him though.
Thank you.
At the moment, I don't have a problem with Southgate and I do believe that managing a national team has some differences to that of a club side.
But I do accept that if he is not able to get us to at least the semis then serious questions will be asked.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Thank you.
At the moment, I don't have a problem with Southgate and I do believe that managing a national team has some differences to that of a club side.
But I do accept that if he is not able to get us to at least the semis then serious questions will be asked.
Definitely are some differences. Most English managers also have no big game management experience. On the international stage, England are expected to be up there every tournament. It's roughly similar to managing a top club in the domestic leagues.

From the list I actually think Lampard, Potter, and Gerrard could make decent managers for England. The style of play is modern & they have some big game experience across European competitions. People might be concerned that Potter's teams are more huff and puff than producing results, but I think that's more down to their young squad & lack of a clinical finisher more than anything.

Dyche and Howe could do a reasonable job but I'd have doubts about them. Dyche's style is negative, and Howe tends to play favorites.

Dean Smith's a bit of a wildcard for me. Did a good job at Villa and seems to have learned well from the first season in the Premier League, but at the same time he's not someone you see mentioned in the discussion for the job.

Wilder & Parker were only mentioned as they were recently in the top flight. Both fine Championship level managers. Nothing more, nothing less.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Dropping Greenwood would be criminal.
I don't know, we have plenty of goals in the team. Greenwood is a superb finisher but aside from this he doesn't offer much over the existing options.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Someone that is more attack minded? Someone who picks players on merit and not just sticking to his favs?

This England side have the capacity to play some serious ball, I don't think Southgate has the capability of unlocking it whatsoever though. Sound out Potter for example? Maybe would have to extend coaching to UK managers instead of just english.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I don't know, we have plenty of goals in the team. Greenwood is a superb finisher but aside from this he doesn't offer much over the existing options.
DCL and Watkins are extremely erratic finishers. Rashford and Sterling are in really poor form, and Grealish, Mount and Saka are more creators than scorers. Greenwood and Saka are the only attacking options better on the right than the left, and I'd use both as options off the bench depending on the situation. Greenwood if you need a goal, Saka if you want someone to get up and down and help fullback more.

Greenwood offers more variety on the right than Rashford does on the left who'll not offer much different to Sancho and Sterling. I'd 100% leave Rashford out with the games and minutes he's played this season, form and injuries

ti vu

DCL and Watkins are extremely erratic finishers. Rashford and Sterling are in really poor form, and Grealish, Mount and Saka are more creators than scorers. Greenwood and Saka are the only attacking options better on the right than the left, and I'd use both as options off the bench depending on the situation. Greenwood if you need a goal, Saka if you want someone to get up and down and help fullback more.

Greenwood offers more variety on the right than Rashford does on the left who'll not offer much different to Sancho and Sterling. I'd 100% leave Rashford out with the games and minutes he's played this season, form and injuries
Knowing Southgate, he would stick with the wing back system, so he doesn't really need a wing attacker to provide that width on the right as much.

Spamming crosses, then they have enough options in the box. Kane would play deeper in Greewood role/position if Southgate switch to Watkins, and DCL to occupy oppo defenders.

Sterling and Rashford provide similar quality to Son at Spurs for Kane. It would be the an important piece of tactic when Kane being asked to drop deep to play make. Greenwood style is not as similar to Son as for Sterling and Rashford. And Sterling is serviceable on the right

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I think from a finishing perspective, we have enough firepower to put the ball in the back of the net. I see us struggling less on converting chances, and struggling more on finding the right players to unpick a defence. Be it a low block (Grealish would be great here) or a counter attach at pace (Rashford at pace is apt here).

For me Greenwood's place is borderline. I can see him being drafted in for his finishing, but I can see him being disposed of in favour of more midfield options of different ilk.

TheGame

No way Lingard should be in the final squad ahead of other options. He was only picked in the last one due to injuries. England should be looking at playing Trent in midfield, similar to Lahm. Think he would do well there but Southgate will never consider it.

Bwuk

No way Lingard should be in the final squad ahead of other options. He was only picked in the last one due to injuries. England should be looking at playing Trent in midfield, similar to Lahm. Think he would do well there but Southgate will never consider it.
Of course he won’t, he’s never played a game at senior football in midfield.

saivet

Possibly, but not he shouldn't be trying this experiment at a major tournament. I'd be interested to see how it goes, but it would need to be in qualifiers, nations league or friendlies first.