England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

jesperjaap

You don't know much about Croatia, do you? You're just rambling cliches, admit it! Their defense is not solid. Their midfield is (still) pretty good even if it isn't as good as three years ago.
Although Kovacic was decent, they really miss the added creativity of Rakitic in this tournament and even the running and nuisance factor of Mandzucic. I had a feeling they may flop in this tournament. A lot of there players are just past there peak. I dont think Scotland will cause them problems though but I think the Czechs could do, on set pieces especially.
Although older, I think the heat helped them more than us, as you could see the problems the press and higher tempo of passing was casuing them in the opening 20mins. Dont think they will do anything in this tournament. Still a good side but they are a weaker side than 4years ago, we are a stronger one

jesperjaap

I really like Grealish but the obsession to start him and to a lesser extent Sancho is really weird.
It will almost always most likely be one of Rashford/Sterling and two of Foden/Mount/Grealish/Sancho starting along with Kane for obvious reasons. Anything else would be too one dimensional and unbalanced.
Grealish will get his chance and if he takes it (yes in high pressure tournament games, not just in friendlies or low pressure games) then he will play more.
For now Sterling and Mount are fine to start and Foden would be 50-50.
Sancho as of yet has done little of note in an England shirt. With the options we have you mention, I dont think it should be such a shock he didnt even make the bench.

As for Grealish, realy does have to start when we get to the crunch fo rme. Sterling makes gerat runs and has great pace and Rashford can hurt teams running at them. But in terms of ability on the ball to unlock defences, its Grealish all day. Its a shame really. I know Grealish and Foden are playing out wide for there clubs, but for me, both of them along really are ideal for the Mount position, but you simply cant leave him out with what he is dong at the moment. Personally would like to see all three of them starting and swapping positions with mroe freedom to move about. I thought we looked much more dangerous when Foden wandered for a brief soell in the second half, less predictable and stretched them more

jesperjaap

I really liked Bellingham's cameo. He was strong and tenacious. It's a real testament to him that I keep forgetting he's only 17.
Yes Phillips and Sterling were pretty much acknowledged as our two best players....but I am still in preference to others. Bellingham came on like you say and was strong, won the ball several times and I would also start others over Sterling, who maade good runs but I think his performance was not that special....but get a goal and get the plaudits

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
IMO Grealish is England's wildcard. He can provide some unpredictability to England's game.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

I know its only the first round of games and there have been a few good performances and no real awful ones. What has stuck out to me so far though.....bar France, none of the sides seem to have a cutting edge attackign wise that we should be frightened of and only them and Portugal really have attacks that compare to us really...sadly we could meet either of them soon.....though I still think Germany have a say in that group. Not sure how far away Goretzka is from being fit, but for me there weakness was there midfield. Not being able to play Kimmich or Goretzka there took away there steel.

Abraxas

I didn't think Germany's midfield was that bad. Maybe they didn't have somebody really breaking the lines but I think you know when you have the personnel they do it's more about controlled possession than dynamic breaks. Maybe it just lacked a bit of tempo and purpose but I don't think the players they had out wide or up front were offering much of anything at all. I didn't think the attackers really tried anything, the crossing was poor and there was no focal point even if a good cross or dangerous situation was produced.

You're dealing in moments against such a defence, if you get control of the game then I think you have a right to expect forwards for a nation like Germany to be able to produce more. That's what was disappointing to me about Germany and would make them a potentially a good team to play for England.

The other side is they do have the ability to completely monopolise the ball against a side like us with inexperienced midfielders. We may be the ones dealing in moments in such a game.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
If the mods want to move this, please do, as it is not quite a football point, it is more a politics one....

I understand that the idea to spread the Euros around the continent is to celebrate the 60 year anniversary of it (although to be honest, because of covid-19 I think the year delay could have also seen a re-think on that too)*. Plus, its also a very expensive thing for one country to host, so I expect we see more of this in years to come.

But I'm surprised the final is to be played at Wembley - I think I have that right - does anyone know when that decision was agreed upon (I'm aware things like an Olympics are announced 7 years or so before the event) but was this Wembley option a pre-Brexit or a post-Brexit choice, I'm curious to know.

*It was just weird to see the images from Hungary v Portugal tonight - 60,000 fans all sat packed like sardines - I hope nothing bad comes out of this, I heard they were all vaccinated, which seemed odd as the camera seemed to show mostly 20-somethings... Was that a thing Hungary did: 90+ 80+ 70+ oh and then anyone planning to go to the Euro games whatever age, then 60+ 50+ etc!!!

Classical Mechanic

If the mods want to move this, please do, as it is not quite a football point, it is more a politics one....

I understand that the idea to spread the Euros around the continent is to celebrate the 60 year anniversary of it (although to be honest, because of covid-19 I think the year delay could have also seen a re-think on that too)*. Plus, its also a very expensive thing for one country to host, so I expect we see more of this in years to come.

But I'm surprised the final is to be played at Wembley - I think I have that right - does anyone know when that decision was agreed upon (I'm aware things like an Olympics are announced 7 years or so before the event) but was this Wembley option a pre-Brexit or a post-Brexit choice, I'm curious to know.

*It was just weird to see the images from Hungary v Portugal tonight - 60,000 fans all sat packed like sardines - I hope nothing bad comes out of this, I heard they were all vaccinated, which seemed odd as the camera seemed to show mostly 20-somethings... Was that a thing Hungary did: 90+ 80+ 70+ oh and then anyone planning to go to the Euro games whatever age, then 60+ 50+ etc!!!
No one wanted to host it when they were deciding the hosts because it was after the financial crash. The EU or Brexit has nothing to do with the Euros. It’s for countries on the European continent and Israel.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Really?

I thought he'd been quite shit this season from an outsider point of view. Was he actually good?
Settled in eventually as he had an outstanding second half of the season. After having the standard of Henderson in goal it was hard to be comfortable with him in goal at times but he’s been brilliant after that shaky start. Getting plenty of interest I hope we manage to keep him.

djembatheking

Would a defeat to Scotland be a blessing in diguise as the winner of the group plays 2nd place from the France, Germany, Portugal and Hungary group.

EASTSIDE777

Would a defeat to Scotland be a blessing in diguise as the winner of the group plays 2nd place from the France, Germany, Portugal and Hungary group.
Yes, It will be very hard to beat whoever comes 2nd in that group. The 2nd place team gets a far easier game.

djembatheking

Yes, It will be very hard to beat whoever comes 2nd in that group. The 2nd place team gets a far easier game.
I would think France will come top so could well be between Germany and Portugal and Englands record against both is pretty grim.

croadyman

Yeah would be an easier 2nd round game but potentially France in the QF, something that also gets lost is the fact there is a lot more travelling involved in the coming 2nd route as well

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Cant think like that. If you want to win the tournament you have to beat good teams. The goal should always be try to win every game. Also, finishing 2nd means a likely QF with France. Just try to win every game.

djembatheking

Yeah would be an easier 2nd round game but potentially France in the QF, something that also gets lost is the fact there is a lot more travelling involved in the coming 2nd route as well
So would winning the group mean staying at Wembley?

ultimately we will need to play France at some point (most likely…) if we want to get to the final.

momentum is also very important. Lose to Scotland, the third match is going to be difficult.

beat Scotland, we can rotate players, have a stress free game and maybe bring on Maguire as well.

Impulse

I should really look at some form of chart! I couldn’t tell you what group we are in…

so is it the 1/4 finals we would have to play away from home?
Yes. None of the 1/4 are at Wembley, so if we win our group and reach the 1/4 finals then we would have to play in Rome, probably against the winners of Spain's group. Both semi's and the final are at Wembley.

saivet

According to The Athletic James and Shaw to replace Walker and Trippier tonight. There's not expected to be any other changes.

Maguire likely to be on the bench.

RooneyLegend

Leaving this amount of talent to Southgate is irresponsible at the very least. England could use getting knocked out early so they can rid of him before the world cup.

Leaving this amount of talent to Southgate is irresponsible at the very least. England could use getting knocked out early so they can rid of him before the world cup.
why don’t we see how he does first!

won the opening game of the group, which no other England manager has done.

I swear some people just want to wind themselves up.

England vs Scotland at a major tournament should be something to look forward to.

RooneyLegend

England vs Scotland at a major tournament should be something to look forward to.
Personally can't be arsed but what I do know is he has no business being trusted with this amount of talent. While England do have a great squad, it's not great enough to overcome poor coaching.

This man literally left out played Trippier out of position instead of playing arguably the best player in that position in the world. He is hell bent on not playing the best English player. It's going to end in tears.

Why is this match such a big deal btw? Scotland are terrible and have no talent. I guess it's a regional rivalry type thing.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Weather is absolutely horrific here right now. Walked to work through essentially what was a wall of water. Doesn't look like letting up all that much throughout the day either. Definitely helping the Scots this.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Oh wow he won the first game.

That's not the barometer of any England manager blessed with the array of talent he has. No one gives a feck about voodoo records to date. It reminds me of when people would point to the World Cup and say "but we got to the Semi Finals!" Yeah, sure, we beat Colombia and fecking Sweden. We needed pens to get by and we still got fecked over by a Croatia side that didn't even have a better squad than ours by throwing a 1-0 lead with 20 minutes to go :lol:

He's a shite manager that's cloaked by an incredible squad.

Hackman2210

England wont make the qtrs - Wales on the other hand could sneak the semis again - favourable draw for the welsh in the qtrs will see a weekend of wild partying, furious drinking and maybe the odd case of domestic abuse..............

TheLiverBird

I’m chuffed with Southgate thus far, I really don’t get the hate???

First tournament he got us through to the Semifinals at the World Cup, winning our first ever penalty shootout and winning our first ever opener at the Euros with a relatively decent positive performance

I questioned his selection but I was proved wrong and the job got done

things literally look great ‍♂

TheLiverBird

That's not the barometer of any England manager blessed with the array of talent he has. No one gives a feck about voodoo records to date. It reminds me of when people would point to the World Cup and say "but we got to the Semi Finals!" Yeah, sure, we beat Colombia and fecking Sweden. We needed pens to get by and we still got fecked over by a Croatia side that didn't even have a better squad than ours by throwing a 1-0 lead with 20 minutes to go :lol:

You can only beat who ever you get drawn, and we did that to get to the SF’s

England have failed and other better England managers have failed to do that in the past

Powerhouser

Supports
Bayern Munich
The amount of talent England has right now is incredible, could see them being favourites alongside France for the next few tournaments.

romufc

So what?

Does it say on the trophy who you played, what the score was and if it went to penalties?

Do Portugal fans care about how they won the last Euros? They won 1 game in 90 mins, drew 3 games in the group to get through?