g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

saivet

The team is as reported, with Maguire on the bench.

Walker, Saka and White the trio not to make the bench today.

3vra

I mean... seriously… why ?
Grealish, Sancho

Sterling and Mount are not that great as those two, Rashford I can understand, he Was poor for couple of months but Sterling was even worse.
I am trying to find some logical path but It just does not make sense.

Hammondo

Better team than last time. I think it's good.

Not saying it's the best possible, but it's not bad.

El Zoido

How about this:

Rashford - Kane - Sancho
Grealish - Rice - Bellingham
Shaw - Maguire - Stones - Walker
Whoever

Zoo

Made no sense for Southgate to make only two changes out of some sense of loyalty because they beat a poor Crroatia team. Grealish and Sancho should be out there.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Who would choose Mount ahead of Grealish?
It's not even like they can't play together. Two of Grealish, Foden and Mount is fine, but Grealish should always start as he's better than both.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's not even like they can't play together. Two of Grealish, Foden and Mount is fine, but Grealish should always start as he's better than both.
Foden shouldn't even be in the discussion. He's not a midfielder and he's only been good in a front 3 really. And there he's definitely not on the same level as Sancho, Grealish, Rashford or Sterling... so it makes no sense. Hype train in overload is the only reason he's starting, which would be fine if it wasn't ahead of superior players in England's most stacked position.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Who would look at this game and think it is a choice between those two?
I am not referring to just this game but as a whole. Grealish is clearly the better player. For the record I would go with Sancho - Grealish - Sterling

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rice/Phillips midfield worked last time but is hurting England here, as is not changing up the front line.

The Hilton

Foden has been rubbish, constantly losing the ball. Sterling and Kane marginally less so, but neither is setting the world alight.

Southgate's England has a huge disconnect between the front 4 and the rest, and the front 4 isn't creative enough by itself.

Blood Mage

Grealish and Sancho are comfortably England's two most creative players and it's baffling to see them both warming the bench while Sterling, who had a shocking season, is apparently undroppable. Foden has been shite too, get them both off.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
When Maguire returns, we might see England reverting to the 5atb system. This is clearly not working.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Apples and Bowling Balls. I think they'd compliment each other fantastically.
I would have gone with Sancho on the left, Grealish as AMC and Sterling on the RW. If Rashy is fit then Rashy plays as LW, Grealish as AMC and Sancho as RW

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I see a common problem between England and Portugal. Midfield has no dynamic, lack of coordination and combinations, the chances created by both teams usually came more from some sort of individual inspiration than something that’s worked on the training sessions. With all that said England can win the match on the second half.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Get one of Rice or Phillips off, get Foden and Sterling off.
Rashy, Grealish and Sancho on - all in.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Foden shouldn't even be in the discussion. He's not a midfielder and he's only been good in a front 3 really. And there he's definitely not on the same level as Sancho, Grealish, Rashford or Sterling... so it makes no sense. Hype train in overload is the only reason he's starting, which would be fine if it wasn't ahead of superior players in England's most stacked position.
Foden is quality and deserves to be in contention. Not at it today (our set-up doesn't help) so no problem with him making way for Grealish if we're persisting with the 4-3-2-1 as Mount's doing alright.

4-3-3 with two of Rashford/Sterling/Sancho out wide and two of Grealish/Foden/Mount ahead of a dm is the way to go, imo

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Get one of Rice or Phillips off, get Foden and Sterling off.
Rashy, Grealish and Sancho on - all in.
Yup, agree with this.
Philips off for Grealish, Rashford on for Sterling.
England have been poor.

AndyMUFC

We're just so very average. Not enough quality and ideas on the ball and it's not just the manager.

Need a better second half.

El Zoido

Grealish and Sancho are comfortably England's two most creative players and it's baffling to see them both warming the bench while Sterling, who had a shocking season, is apparently undroppable. Foden has been shite too, get them both off.
Kane should come off as well. Unfortunately he’s the captain.

Abraxas

What is going on with Harry Kane? Is he fully fit? Out of form?

Now, he isn't exactly getting much service in good areas. But it's a chicken and egg situation, where is his movement, spark, ability to create space? He's even losing the ball when he's usually tidy enough. He looks like his legs aren't there in these games. Very striking how off it he looks. He just looks heavy.

As expected before the tournament, Southgate making a right mess.
Not playing Grealish and starting Foden in both games, as well as starting two DM’s, one as negative a DM as you’ll find are utterly bizarre decisions that only he can explain to the rest of us.
We’re playing exactly how I’d expect that line up to play, now 135 mins of it. Will he change it at HT? I doubt it, doesn’t seem the type.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
When Maguire returns, we might see England reverting to the 5atb system. This is clearly not working.
That’s the last thing we want to do. Team is too defensive as it is given the attacking talent in the squad