England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That’s the last thing we want to do. Team is too defensive as it is given the attacking talent in the squad
Yeah nobody wants that but Southgate looks clueless out there with this system.

Woodenlung

Mount really is excellent.

The only midfielder on the pitch who looks likely to create anything

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I'm puzzled, came on here at half-time expecting to read pages and pages of deep discussion about the (poor) first half, but actually there were like 35 posts, that is like less than one a minute?

Do Man Utd. fans not care that much about England?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Bellingham should be playing in that midfield

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Foden is quality and deserves to be in contention. Not at it today (our set-up doesn't help) so no problem with him making way for Grealish if we're persisting with the 4-3-2-1 as Mount's doing alright.

4-3-3 with two of Rashford/Sterling/Sancho out wide and two of Grealish/Foden/Mount ahead of a dm is the way to go, imo
It's fine him being an impact sub, but he's not at the level yet where he should be starting. He's a moments player for City with a world class supporting cast. He's being asked to be something he isn't for England and what's worse, is that there are 3 players on the wings (and others who are better in midfield) who are just straight up better players than him as of now, based on this past season, and especially based on Fodens form these 2 games. It's fine if there's little depth so you play a promising player and hope he comes up with a moment. Southgate already benched better players for him though which is the problem. If you want scorers, Rashford and Sterling are better. Creators, Sancho and Grealish are better. He shouldn't be ahead of them. Southgate seems to have planted his flag on him but it'll cost him.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Grealish and Sancho are comfortably England's two most creative players and it's baffling to see them both warming the bench while Sterling, who had a shocking season, is apparently undroppable. Foden has been shite too, get them both off.
That’s simply not true. Mount created more than him during the season. Only reason he isn’t up there for assists is.. Werner..

Irwin99

It is a bit like watching United with the two DMs and the reliance on a bit of magic. Relative to its talent this team should be playing a lot better.

EliotTheRed

The biggest thing holding England back is the coach, he might well be able to make everyone feel happy and part of a group but he seems so limited in his coaching and tactics.

youmeletsfly

This Gareth dude playing 2 useless on the ball DM's vs fecking Scotland is unreal.

Last edited:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I really thought England would at least wait for the KO round before getting shown up. Is Southgate's contract covering the WC too ?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Two main lessons to learn from today:

1) The Kane, Sterling, Foden front line isn't functioning. You have Grealish, Rashford and Sancho sitting on your bench. Change it up.

2) Rice is a fine DM. Phillips is a fine DM. But playing two DMs in your midfield is insanely negative.

Judas

Open to offers
Genuinely one of the worst performances from England at a tournament I've seen. With this level of talent unforgivably bad. Such a shame we've got Gareth Southgate in charge.

It's all a bit predictable where this is heading.

Castia

Poor in the first game and even worse tonight.

The performances remind me so much of United at times. 2 holding midfielders with slow zombie mode passing.

Dog shit.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Sterling, Kane and Rashford shouldn't be near the starting XI on form.

Rather see Grealish and Sancho up top right now, and try different strikers.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That’s simply not true. Mount created more than him during the season. Only reason he isn’t up there for assists is.. Werner..
Huh? Based on what? Sancho has more key passes per 90, more xA per 90, more progressive passes per 90, more passes into the penalty area per 90, more shot creating actions per 90... he's literally one of the very best creators in Europe.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Grealish, Bellingham and Sancho should be starting for us. I'd personally drop Declan Rice and pair Kalvin Phillips with Bellingham in the next game.

Abraxas

Very strange game from England. Said months ago Rice Phillips was a bad idea. It was especially a bad idea for these winnable group games. Did either of those two manage to take less than 5 touches or find a forwards pass?

Kane looks horrendous at the moment, not a clue what is going on there. Looks bereft of physical presence. I did not like Rashford coming on down the middle, how many times do we have to see Rashford there to know it's a poor idea. I would opt for DCL, especially against a deep defence, what use is Rashford?! That was very naive.

Apart from that it was simply a shocking performance. The rest of it was ok as far as personnel but the actual performance levels and fluidity, passing etc were diabolical.

Shaw did well, from a Utd point of view. One of England's better players tonight.

Hammondo

Kane and Sterling took from our team. We had Mount, Grealish and Foden trying to linkup play, and be creative and every time I saw it reach one of those 2 it ended.

Rashford might as well have not been there, however he didn't have long to get into the game.

Idxomer

Anyone who still even thinks about playing Rashford as a striker in 2021 is utterly clueless.

Infestissumam

shit manager. Has all the offensive talent you could ask for at his disposal and serves up that crap, it's actually incredible. Sancho not playing a single minute is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a very long time.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's fine him being an impact sub, but he's not at the level yet where he should be starting. He's a moments player for City with a world class supporting cast. He's being asked to be something he isn't for England and what's worse, is that there are 3 players on the wings (and others who are better in midfield) who are just straight up better players than him as of now, based on this past season, and especially based on Fodens form these 2 games. It's fine if there's little depth so you play a promising player and hope he comes up with a moment. Southgate already benched better players for him though which is the problem. If you want scorers, Rashford and Sterling are better. Creators, Sancho and Grealish are better. He shouldn't be ahead of them. Southgate seems to have planted his flag on him but it'll cost him.
I agree he shouldn't be starting on the wings. However, centrally, I think he's definitely worthy of starting. He may not score and create, but his game allows the teams general play to excel.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Southgate got it all wrong, from the starting eleven through to the tactics. The players lacked the proper motivation and energy levels, too. It's not nearly good enough considering the talent in the squad.