England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Scottynaldinho

Germany is no match for this anti-football English team. You guys must hope for France draw as they haven't impressed.

Irwin99

I expect it'll be against the Germans next but England vs France would be a great game at Wembley :drool:

Abraxas

Unbelievably pragmatic stuff. We definitely know how Southgate thinks he's going to win this tournament, and it's not by unleashing his forwards, it's by nicking goals. After a decent first half it was like they decided to simply see the game out.

It's one of those things that has to work. If it goes tits up it will cop a lot of criticism post tournament.

MU655

Southgate hates technical players. Sancho, Bellingham, and Grealish should be on the pitch at the same.

His decision making is really irritating. We are so negative and boring to watch.

We should have hammered the Czech Republic today.

The issue is that now we are probably playing Germany, Southgate probably won't get sacked even if we lose. He should be sacked as soon as we go out. This team is being completely wasted.

Djemba-Djemba

Kane is a huge worry.

Watching him was like watching Alexis Sanchez at Utd. A great player clearly working his bollocks off but his legs have gone and he's just utter shite.

This will be 2 out his 3 tournaments as Englands main striker where he's absolutely stank the place out.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Kane is a major problem.

He's been absolutely dreadful for 3 games now, but Southgate hasn't got the balls to drop him. Urgh.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'll always enjoy an England win, and the 2018 World Cup is probably the most I've enjoyed supporting England, but christ I can't wait for Southgate to be replaced by someone who actually sets a team out to win.

El Zoido

Uninspiring, but maybe we’ll play with a bit more vigour against a team like France, or Germany.

Trophy Room

At least the United players will get some rest this summer. No chance we are beating any of the big guns with the way we are playing.

Gibb11

have to worry about not being able to control the game second half and them having pretty much as many attempts as us just like scotland game.

calvin-philips for all his praise first game is not elite level and neither is Rice, but really we know that

SuperiorXI

We were all over them first half then took our foot off the pedal second half. Not good enough. We've gone through via two goals from Sterling, whoopee. I fear for us next round.

marktan

Kane is a huge worry.

Watching him was like watching Alexis Sanchez at Utd. A great player clearly working his bollocks off but his legs have gone and he's just utter shite.

This will be 2 out his 3 tournaments as Englands main striker where he's absolutely stank the place out.
Needs a rest, really poor management from Southgate playing him 90 mins in 3 games in about 10 days. It's been a long season with little pre-season so freshness will play a huge part in this tournament.

I don't think he's quite Sanchez level though, his pass and touch are still there, just a bit leggy with little service.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We were all over them first half then took our foot off the pedal second half. Not good enough. We've gone through via two goals from Sterling, whoopee. I fear for us next round.
More like Rice had to go off and Southgate decided to shut up shop as a result. He has zero confidence in our defence.

Scottynaldinho

Thoroughly underwhelming. If you’re DCL you’ve got to wonder wtf you’ve got to do to get a sniff ahead of a useless Kane who’s just not turning up.
Kane has consistently been leading goals/assists charts for multiple seasons including the last one. He's the only world-class player in this team and you don't drop him on the basis of a couple of poor showings where he was asked to drop back and provide help in the middle.

Even Maguire showed Kane can be a threat with proper service even from a CB.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Decent first half, a nothing second half. I wonder how much better our threat on the right would be if we had Reece James to link up with Saka rather than Walker who offers little going forward.

Kane was better today than the other games but was overall poor.

Yagami

Good post resistant
:drool:
Same.

Don't understand why Sancho isn't getting at least 30 minutes per match. He should be starting in all fairness.
Not only is Sterling one of our few proven goal threats, his ability to resist pressing opposition is such an asset. Only Kane (prior to this tournament) has been more consistent for us.

As for Sancho, I get why he's not starting as he always underwhelms for England, but it's crazy that he's only had 10 minutes. Especially when our attack as a whole has been underwhelming itself.

TheRedHearted

Kane is a huge worry.

Kane is a major problem.

He's been absolutely dreadful for 3 games now, but Southgate hasn't got the balls to drop him. Urgh.
Calvert-Lewin for me. His pace would be great for the team up top

RoyH1

What did Sancho do to Southgate to deserve this level of disrespect?

Abraxas

They could still do a lot better than we imagine against a good side. I think England know they're going to get through this group, they're not exactly tearing around the pitch.

The problem is they have to switch it on suddenly and that won't be easy. They'll have to be more clinical in the final third, be more incisive on the counter and continue to defend well but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. They're not going to win a game of possession or footballing quality but the individuals are there to produce moments.

MU655

If we lose in the next round playing like this. I hope we get hammered. That is the only way Southgate will get sacked.

Get a manager who actually wants to attack. Stop weakening the strongest area in the team.

Heardy

Kane has consistently been leading goals/assists charts for multiple seasons including the last one. He's the only world-class player in this team and you don't drop him on the basis of a couple of poor showings where he was asked to drop back and provide help in the middle.

Even Maguire showed Kane can be a threat with proper service even from a CB.
Totally disagree. Yes he’s topped goals and assists but he’s looked off the pace and has done nothing in 3 games. To play him 90 mins 3 times in what 10/11 days is stupid man / squad management.

If he’s out leading striker and has had 1 shot on goal in 3 games, you’ve got to try something else.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Good that we're through but ,minor the first 30 minutes, we were sluggish and lacking in cohesion. That obviously needs to change if we want to go further.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The positives are the clean sheets, solid and efficient defensively. The negatives, well it was all rather dull after the goal.

Judas

Open to offers
We were as you'd expect under Southgate. I'll be massively surprised if we win another game at this tournament. Fair play if we do, it'll take a much better performance than what we've seen from us so far.

TheRedHearted

Totally disagree. Yes he’s topped goals and assists but he’s looked off the pace and has done nothing in 3 games. To play him 90 mins 3 times in what 10/11 days is stupid man / squad management.

If he’s out leading striker and has had 1 shot on goal in 3 games, you’ve got to try something else.
Terrible he played him that much when he clearly looks exhausted

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
things more interesting than gareth southgate’s england:

1) watching a succession of loved ones perish to a flesh eating virus, leaving you as the only survivor.

2) being subjected to a compilation of jordan henderson’s most square passes.

3) listening to a breathy harry kane explain the theory of relativity two inches away from your face.

4) hypnotising harry maguire into thinking your genitals are a perennially inswinging corner.

5) suffering a groundhog substitution of grealish off for a more defensive minded counter part.

6) a third lockdown.

7) listening to scot recant the tale of their brave euro 2020 campaign.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Future tournaments should have you very excited with Bellingham being a brilliant midfielder. Everyone knows the depth of quality for wingers and #10's, but Bellingham, Rice and Curtis Jones from Liverpool even are the 3 high potential actual midfielders they have IMO, and they're needed to get the best of the attack.