England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe Sancho isn't getting the job done in training?

Only thing I can think of.

Also, why play a double pivot?
Southgate mentioned him as one of the young players lacking a bit of tournament experience so he's helping him out by just not playing him, whilst playing other players who lack tournament experience....

Dante

Average bang
Maybe Sancho isn't getting the job done in training?

Only thing I can think of.

Also, why play a double pivot?
The double pivot gets unfairly maligned, imo.

Liverpool won a PL and a CL with three water carriers in midfield. Every good team needs defensive solidity from somewhere in order to balance the attack.

Like I say, I've got no problem with England's defence being built around two DMs. But the flipside to that you have to have two attacking FBs to compensate.

For me, Southgate's biggest crime has been his misuse of James/Shaw/Walker/Trippier/Chilwell. Between them, you've got some of the best offensive fullbacks in the world (two CL winners, one PL winner, one La Liga and one EL finalist this past season).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
While I understand all the complaints,
I do think Saka is going to do well.
Saka is an alright start — it’s just one step forward two steps back with keeping some of the other massive underperformers still in there.

Foden hasn’t been great either but sterling has been by far the worst of the two.
It’s a low bar though …………
Opinions I guess, I think an attacker having 3-4 attacking moments and a game winning goal are worth more than his opposite flank having a single shot and doing feck all else.

Each to their own though.

As I said earlier, I’d have dropped all 3 attackers.

The Purley King

Opinions I guess, I think an attacker having 3-4 attacking moments and a game winning goal are worth more than his opposite flank having a single shot and doing feck all else.

Kane is lucky to start as well in my opinion.
He’s not going to suddenly find his legs in 4 days.
I agree with you all 3 should be on the Dame Judy.

MU655

No, it’s proves he’s done more than Foden who’s been fexking terrible. I don’t think any of the forwards have been “good”. Kane and Foden have been the worst though, offered absolutely nothing.
I’d have dropped all 3.
Foden is playing out of position. Don't you find it weird that Sterling, the player Foden replaced for City on the left, is somehow being put on the left at the expense of Foden?

djembatheking

Hope Grealish has a good game, he is someone that you look forward to watching. Come on England .

Dante

Average bang
The double pivot gets unfairly maligned, imo.

Liverpool won a PL and a CL with three water carriers in midfield. Every good team needs defensive solidity from somewhere in order to balance the attack.

Like I say, I've got no problem with England's defence being built around two DMs. But the flipside to that you have to have two attacking FBs to compensate.

For me, Southgate's biggest crime has been his misuse of James/Shaw/Walker/Trippier/Chilwell. Between them, you've got some of the best offensive fullbacks in the world (two CL winners, one PL winner, one La Liga and one EL finalist this past season).
Just an addendum to this:

England don't really play a double pivot anyway. It's much more a DM/AM partnership.

Against Croatia:

Against Scotland:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Southgate mentioned him as one of the young players lacking a bit of tournament experience so he's helping him out by just not playing him, whilst playing other players who lack tournament experience....
Southgate talks shite.

What tournament experience has Mount got? Or Rice? Or K-P? Or Foden?

Kane's got loads of tournament experience... still playing like a drunk.

Pick your best players/team (age, experience, number of caps should be secondary considerations). If they don't take their chance (I'm looking at you Foden), drop them and move on... it's a short tournament, you haven't got the luxury of passengers.

The Purley King

Doesn’t really matter what the team is… this thread is a car crash of negativity before a ball has even been kicked.
If we win it will be despite Southgate not because of him.
I find it incredible that a supposedly intelligent man can feck things up so badly yet again with his selection. What has he seen in The last 2 games that all of us haven’t?
He is a gutless coward plain and simple. The worst kind of manager as you know if you are down 1-0 with 30 to go in a knockout game he’ll change foden for rashford and hope for the best. We are going nowhere with Southgate in charge.

Dante

Average bang
Southgate talks shite.

Pick your best players/team (age, experience, number of caps should be secondary considerations). If they don't take their chance (I'm looking at you Foden), drop them and move on... it's a short tournament, you haven't got the luxury of passengers.
I think he's including the Champions League in his definition of tournament football. Which, if we're honest, is a much higher level than the Euros.

Granted, Rice and Phillips haven't played in the CL at all. But Sancho isn't in direct competition with them.

The Purley King

I think he's including the CL in his definition of tournament football. Which, if we're honest, is a much higher level than the Euros.

Granted, Rice and Phillips haven't played in the CL at all. But Sancho isn't in direct competition with them.
How many CL games has saka played?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I think he's including the Champions League in his definition of tournament football. Which, if we're honest, is a much higher level than the Euros.

I didn't read it like that. Read it clearly as (proper) tournament..

"We've got some explosive options and a lot of them are young players and experiencing a big tournament for the first time," he said.

So as a coaching staff we are realistic about our expectations of them as individuals.

Jadon is in that mix"

And he's picked Saka.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Southgate talks shite.

Yeah his comment was clearly rubbish, made me laugh reading it and then looking at the team selections.

GueRed

first game back after 8 weeks out,

I hope Maguire comes through it with no problems.

bosskeano

Starting Saka makes no sense and once again he changes the RB spot....Maguire starting is a surprise as well

Not sure the need to start both Phillips and Rice again either

Dante

Average bang
I'm much happier with this formation.

Kane is staying a bit closer to the box, and Shaw+Walker are pushing up the pitch.

We can argue about the individual picks. But this is the only way to play with Phillips and Rice and midfield.

RoyH1

Only just turned on the match after an all day meeting. Can anyone tell me if Jason Sancho made a pass at Southgate’s wife or something? Why does Saka get picked ahead of him?

The Purley King

Sterling > foden confirmed now :)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No more Mount and Foden after tonight based on this showing

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Saka and Grealish looking great. Yet they likely wouldn't have been playing were in not for players being out or under threat of suspension. Not sure you can rely on Southgate continuing to be bounced into improving the starting 11.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This team has so much more balance. Having both of the wide players with pace and willing to run in behind is a real threat.
Grealish has to be first name on the team sheet from now.
Maguire looks very good as well.

We just need to make sure we're not holding on to a 1-0 against these lot, they're a massive threat in the air and from set pieces.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
You guys looking pretty good tonight, not far from properly clicking. Might be on a good form trajectory going into the knockouts.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sterling is one of our most important players. Still don't get the constant calls to drop him.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The absolute lack of any game time for Sancho is bewildering. He’s in the conversation for being our best player. Madness.