England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

Irwin99

Very nice route to the final. Holland could be a tough game but every other team after Germany is very beatable I feel.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Germany then Sweden/Ukraine, then the likes of Wales, Denmark, Netherlands and the Czechs? It's time to get our big boy pants on and beat Germany at home, then the tournament opens up for us.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It'll be quite hard to not achieve something vs this German side. Hungary almost had them.

Even without timed subs and with overall shit manger's decision, England has real chance.
I would argue Hungary has shown more quality than England though so far :lol:

Sylar

25 years on from Southgate penalty miss at Wembley he has a chance at redemption as a manager...

Robertd0803

I wont say they dont have a hope vs Germany but they are going to find it very very difficult considering they will be starting with 10 men pretty much.

Germany knocking them out in yet another tournament would be a bit ridiculous though.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
England’s side of the draw is a cakewalk if they get past Germany. They’ve a great chance of getting to the final.
God it would be fun to have the world telling us how Germany were terrible and England had another easy tournament.

I don't think they are really terrible, sadly, but I'd be very happy if that ends up the post tournament narrative.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
It'll be quite hard to not achieve something vs this German side. Hungary almost had them.

Even without timed subs and with overall shit manger's decision, England has real chance.
It's still Germany.

When was the last time England knocked out Germany in a big tournament? 1966?

Berbaclass

I wont say they dont have a hope vs Germany but they are going to find it very very difficult considering they will be starting with 10 men pretty much.
It's funny really that the Germans probably want Kane to play based on the tournament so far. He looks so unthreatening.

acnumber9

God it would be fun to have the world telling us how Germany were terrible and England had another easy tournament.

I don't think they are really terrible, sadly, but I'd be very happy if that ends up the post tournament narrative.
It’s as weak a Germany as there’s been for a long time as evidenced by their performances and results the last few years.

Pickle85

Of the three (Portugal, Germany and France), the Germans were the ones I'd have chosen to draw pre game and not seen anything tonight to change my mind. They're still Germany and we're still England, mind, so I'm not very hopeful but miracles do happen.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It’s as weak a Germany as there’s been for a long time as evidenced by their performances and results the last few years.
Sure. But still good enough to overwhelm a decent Portugal side.

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania
Calling it now.
With against Germany then out on penalties against Sweden ))

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Yes, and they are facing England in a knock out match.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I would argue Hungary has shown more quality than England though so far :lol:
Maguire should be ready, Grealish doing great, Sancho fully rested, Rashford should feel better than few weeks ago and Kane's not injured yet btw. :lol:

This can go both ways of course, but it's time to break the curse, penalties or not.

Berbaclass

The difference maker for me will be in the mentality of the players. I think the Germans have a winning mentality and ours is too cautious. Southgate plays to not lose matches which is fine but when you have a team that is as vulnerable as Germany I think it's the wrong approach. Especially with home advantage. The last thing England should do is let them settle into the game just like they let Croatia do, the difference is that Germany actually has the quality to damage us.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's still Germany.

When was last time Germany won the war ? See what I did there ?

Just go there and win FFS. I want to see Netherlands vs England final if possible.

Djemba-Djemba

Germany being shite today will work in their favour. England will let down their guard. The media will already have crowned them champions of the whole tournament by the time the game starts.
Stop it with this fecking shite.

The last time the media were bullish with England was about 2006

acnumber9

Sure. But still good enough to overwhelm a decent Portugal side.
I think England will beat them. They won’t give up the chances Portugal did. Portugal almost beat themselves in that game.

Droid_Repairs

It's still Germany.

Exactly. Germany, like Scotland, will be at their absolute best against England at Wembley.

We really should have beaten them at Euro 96 though

hubbuh

C'MON INGURLAAAAND!!

Germany hammered Portugal's fullbacks, so we need Shaw starting. Walker on the other flank? He doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest. Let's feckin 'av it

acnumber9

Stop it with this fecking shite.

The last time the media were bullish with England was about 2006
People say this but it’s not really true is it? Except when they lose and they pretend the ‘it’s coming home’ stuff was just irony.

Berbaclass

People say this but it’s not really true is it? Except when they lose and they pretend the ‘it’s coming home’ stuff was just irony.
Yeah, I feel like pretty much every major tournament England gets talked up as potential winners.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Imagine Hungary had beaten Germany. Our bracket would be so easy :lol:

I’m not hopeful whatsoever of us getting past Germany to be honest. But you never know.

RopersReturn

Muller and Hummels are always the main threat imo. Even though this isn’t a great side by German tournament standards, they’ve psychologically haunted us for decades. Can’t see that changing unfortunately.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
All this "nice easy route to the final" talk :lol:

Lads, you haven't beat a decent side in a major tournament since Beckham's penalty against Argentina in 2002.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Footballs coming home is about how shit England are but how we always have hope.

It's about supporting the team.
Maybe so but when the fans were singing “it’s coming home” in the last World Cup I think you were believing it, that wasn’t irony. And why not.

Pickle85

The difference maker for me will be in the mentality of the players. I think the Germans have a winning mentality and ours is too cautious. Southgate plays to not lose matches which is fine but when you have a team that is as vulnerable as Germany I think it's the wrong approach. Especially with home advantage. The last thing England should do is let them settle into the game just like they let Croatia do, the difference is that Germany actually has the quality to damage us.
Not sure I agree with the winning mentality point. They've won one drawn one lost one so far this tourney whereas we've won two and drawn one. Didn't they get dumped out of the world cup in groups as well? I get that it's Germany, we've a terrible record against them etc but it's as good a chance against them as we've had in twenty years or so.

Djemba-Djemba

Maybe so but when the fans were singing “it’s coming home” in the last World Cup I think you were believing it, that wasn’t irony. And why not.
Because we got to extra time in the semi finals for feck sake.

When are you allowed to think you can win?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Very nice route to the final. Holland could be a tough game but every other team after Germany is very beatable I feel.
Denmark and Holland would give England tough games but looking at the two sides of the draw it does make a mockery of people saying England were trying to finish 2nd in the group, extreme difference between the two sides of the draw it's fair to say.

Whoever reaches the final from top half will certainly deserve it and be very battle hardened, just a question of how much left in the tank but they'd be massive favourites although ultimately it feels a little like 2016 with Portugal ending in the kinder half of the draw and building enough momentum themselves to win it.