England - Euro 2021 Discussion | FA chairman: Southgate to be offered new contract until Euro 2024

The Purley King

The narrative is set with Wan Bissaka. He can’t attack. Despite scoring and assisting more goals than Reece James, Kieran Trippier or Kyle Walker.
Exactly. AWB should 100% be in this squad.
Our central midfield is dire though........ There is a decent case to be made that Bellingham should actually start.

Has he? Pickford will be one of the worst keepers at the tournament I reckon.

I can never understand how he gets his game for England. I'd have Darren Randolph ahead of him if he were Irish.
he has done well for England. We really don’t have anyone better. Even if it’s arguable, we don’t have anyone who is smashing down the door to play.

he’s obviously not a world beater, but unfortunately the best we have.

No doubt in my mind this is how it'll go. The nation will turn when he makes an absolute mess of having such brilliant attacking talent, and making us a negative tumescent bore fest. All the signs are there.
I think the same. We had an incredibly fortunate run in the World Cup and the first decent team we faced turned us over. You always get the feeling Southgate is throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks, rather than having any kind of plan.

TrustInOle

AWB should have got a nod, arguably been the most consistent English RB this year, scoring and assisting more and you will have a player who will lock up the LW of an opponent when needed.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Considering how many players made it into the provisional squad - shocked AWB doesn’t get in.

Overall a strong provisional squad picked but he’ll probably cock it all up with the whittle down.

acnumber9

Our central midfield is dire though........ There is a decent case to be made that Bellingham should actually start.
Right back is a position that England have ridiculous strength in so I can understand him not being picked. Especially when he’s uncapped. I think Wan Bissaka is fighting against an unfair narrative though.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
33 man provisional squad... christ, why not just make it an even 40.

Ramsdale is a dreadful keeper, he surely can't be the 5th best English keeper?!

Also, it says quite a lot that, even in a 33 man squad, AWB is still probably nowhere near it (and to be honest, I don't feel too strongly about the fact that he isn't)

No Eric Dier though says something! No Ings either.

Robindinho

The 7 to drop out for me;

Ramsdale, Coady, White, Godfrey, Saka, Lingard, Watkins.

Think Mings stays with him being left footed and all the right backs go with it being 26. (Trippier also covers left back and James/Walker CB if we play a back 3).

diarm

Everyone talking about Wan-Bissaka improving in attack, but ignoring the fact that one in every three goals we concede is because he can't keep track of players attacking the back post.

He's an incredible tackler - one of the best I've ever seen. But he's a piss poor defender.

The Purley King

Can't help but think this'll be the squad/tournament that sees people turn against Southgate.

It was one thing to take an average squad to the world cup semis (albeit via a favourable route), but with the talent - especially in attack - England now have, I think there'll be demands for a more positive/attacking mindset.
Our attacking talent is arguably the best in the competition.
However, we'll play 2 holding midfielders, be extremely narrow in midfield and will be stifled by any team that can defend reasonably competently, unless we get a penalty or score from a corner.
Southgate is way too cautious and he never plays to our strengths. You can bet Sterling will start despite doing nothing for England for the last 3 years. For one off games like we'll have its OK to be adventurous and win 4-3 every now and then. I have very little faith we'll do well, not because our players are shit, but because our manager is.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Maybe it's just me but I rate Karl Darlow really highly. How comes he isn't remotely mentioned for a place yet Ramsdale gets a look in?

Classical Mechanic

He has.

Probably his finest moment was in the Nations League 3rd place playoff in the pennalty shootout when he stepped up to smash one home and then saved one to win it.

I do fear that he'll cost us at one point but it's hard to fault his record so far. I can't honestly say that I'd prefer Henderson over him at the moment. Henderson has made big errors in the u20s & 21s. Pickford's form also improved a lot as this season went on.

PoTMS

Everyone talking about Wan-Bissaka improving in attack, but ignoring the fact that one in every three goals we concede is because he can't keep track of players attacking the back post.

He's an incredible tackler - one of the best I've ever seen. But he's a piss poor defender.
He's a poor footballer, in truth, and shouldn't be in the United first XI, let alone England's 26 man squad considering the amount of decent right backs we have currently.

Judas

Open to offers
He has.

Probably his finest moment was in the Nations League 3rd place playoff in the pennalty shootout when he stepped up to smash one home and then saved one to win it.

I do fear that he'll cost us at one point but it's hard to fault his record so far. I can't honestly say that I'd prefer Henderson over him at the moment. Henderson has made big errors in the u20s & 21s. Pickford's form also improved a lot as this season went on.
To be fair this is very true, he's looked solid lately, but then that just makes me worried he's due a clanger :nervous:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Pretty much.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
My guess:

Goalkeepers:

• Dean Henderson (Manchester United)
  • Sam Johnstone (West Brom)
  • Jordan Pickford (Everton)
  • Aaron Ramsdale (Sheffield United)
Defenders:

• Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
  • Ben Chilwell (Chelsea)
  • Conor Coady (Wolves)
  • Ben Godfrey (Everton)
  • Reece James (Chelsea)
  • Harry Maguire (Manchester United)
  • Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa)
  • Luke Shaw (Manchester United)
  • John Stones (Manchester City)
  • Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid)
  • Kyle Walker (Manchester City)
  • Ben White (Brighton)
Midfielders:

• Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund)
  • Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)
  • Jesse Lingard (West Ham)
  • Mason Mount (Chelsea)
  • Kalvin Phillips (Leeds)
  • Declan Rice (West Ham)
  • James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)
Forwards:

• Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton)
  • Phil Foden (Man City)
  • Jack Grealish (Aston Villa)
  • Mason Greenwood (Manchester United)
  • Harry Kane (Tottenham)
  • Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)
  • Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)
  • Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund)
  • Raheem Sterling (Man City)
  • Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)
Yeah I think so too. *assuming Henderson, Phillips, and Maguire are all fit for the Euros*.

I think the final attacker according to Southgate will be between Saka, Greenwood, and Grealish.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No doubt in my mind it'll be Pickford, unfortunately.
Pickford is seriously underrated among you English people. Sure, he is sometimes butter fingers but he often pulls amazing saves. As i recall, he was pretty good on World cup

I really hope Greenwood is in the final side, as I genuinely believe he's the 2nd best finisher in the side after Kane
I think he goes because Southgate knows he's the only natural finisher we have outside Kane.

I think Ramsdale, White, Watkins, Saka, Coady, Godfrey miss out. I cant decide on the 7th who is likely to be a midfielder. I think Ward Prowse stays because of his delivery. Maybe Phillips.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pickford is seriously underrated among you English people. Sure, he is sometimes butter fingers but he often pulls amazing saves. As i recall, he was pretty good on World cup
He's honestly fine for England.

there are many aspects to to defending, aside from tackling - which bizarrely people seem to forget when it comes to AWB.

I wouldn’t say he’s piss poor, but his positioning needs improvement. He’s improving, and has done this season - but there are 4 better RBs in the squad ahead of him.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
With question marks over the fitness levels of Henderson, Grealish, Maguire and Philips (4 players you would expect to normally walk into a 26 man squad), I can see why they've opted for a bigger initial pool.

Also, it may only be 2 games, but you've got all of Henderson, Shaw, Rashford, Maguire (!?), Greenwood, Stones, Foden, Sterling, Walker, Chilwell, Mount and James potentially playing this week in cup finals. Anything could happen fitness wise there.

TrustInOle

Delighted for Mason though! Will he make the main squad though? I would definatley have him in there instead off Saka, Watkins and Sterling especially with how well he ended the season and probably our best of the RW along with Sancho I feel. Foden and Mount through the middle and Rashford and Grealish of the left.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Our attacking talent is arguably the best in the competition.
However, we'll play 2 holding midfielders, be extremely narrow in midfield and will be stifled by any team that can defend reasonably competently, unless we get a penalty or score from a corner.
Southgate is way too cautious and he never plays to our strengths. You can bet Sterling will start despite doing nothing for England for the last 3 years. For one off games like we'll have its OK to be adventurous and win 4-3 every now and then. I have very little faith we'll do well, not because our players are shit, but because our manager is.
Inclined to agree. And with someone of Rice's quality, you could easily partner him with a Mount or Bellingham and play Sancho, Foden, Grealish/Rashford and Kane ahead of that midfield 2.

But yeah, reckon we'll go super conservative across the pitch, especially if we've not got Maguire at the back.

Delighted for Mason though! Will he make the main squad though? I would definatley have him in there instead off Saka, Watkins and Sterling especially with how well he ended the season and probably our best of the RW along with Sancho I feel. Foden and Mount through the middle and Rashford and Grealish of the left.
I think he goes as he’s got some versatility, and importantly has shown he can make an impact from the bench - realistically he won’t start any games.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Amazing team. Fantastic full backs, goalscoring wingers and goal maschine in attack. Plus strong defence in Harry and Stones with Rice in front of them. Plus finally you have playmaker in midfield in Grealish. Second favorite of competition imo. France is just.....wow

Wilt

He's a poor footballer, in truth, and shouldn't be in the United first XI, let alone England's 26 man squad considering the amount of decent right backs we have currently.
He plays for Utd so he gets in

20le_Solskjaer

I think he goes because Southgate knows he's the only natural finisher we have outside Kane.

I think Ramsdale, White, Watkins, Saka, Coady, Godfrey miss out. I cant decide on the 7th who is likely to be a midfielder. I think Ward Prowse stays because of his delivery. Maybe Phillips.
No way we take four RB's. One of TAA or James will miss out.

Ramsdale, TAA, White, JWP, Saka, Coady, Watkins out

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not a fan of people that can cross the ball are you? Ward-Prowse, Alexander-Arnold and Saka all out. Set pieces are one of England's biggest strengths, Maguire even mentioned they spend an enormous amount of time in training on it.
That what I think Southgate will do. I would've kept TAA/Godfrey and booted rubbish like Coady and Mings.

Saka is a jack of all trades but as long as he isn't a master of one I don't see the point in him. Can't think of a single scenario currently where you'd want to sub him on over the other attacking options on the bench.

Prowse's only purpose is set pieces, other than that he's a complete passenger. If you're starting him you're sacrificing way more quality in midfield than you're gaining from him taking set pieces imo. Waste of a spot.

jesperjaap

Part of me hopes one of the early games someone like Henderson gets injured. I can see Bellingham emerging as a big player in the tournament if such a scenario happens, much like David Platt for example. I would be starting him alongside Rice personally

Classical Mechanic

33 man provisional squad... christ, why not just make it an even 40.

Ramsdale is a dreadful keeper, he surely can't be the 5th best English keeper?!

Also, it says quite a lot that, even in a 33 man squad, AWB is still probably nowhere near it (and to be honest, I don't feel too strongly about the fact that he isn't)

No Eric Dier though says something! No Ings either.
Ramsdale isn't dreadful. He was very poor shot stopping wise early in the season but improved as the season went on. His shot stopping stats were actually better than Henderson's and De Gea's in the end. He's one of the best in the league for collecting crosses and sweeping too.

jesperjaap

he has done well for England. We really don’t have anyone better. Even if it’s arguable, we don’t have anyone who is smashing down the door to play.

he’s obviously not a world beater, but unfortunately the best we have.
Yes I think he is a very average keeper, but he has been a good keeper so far for England. I just hope that continues this summer as its him and the Stones/Maguire partnership concerns me most against the bigger sides, all have a rick in them

Bwuk

I get it's obviously different positions, but it's crazy that Trent might get left at home and the likes of Coady or Mings will go.#

I would take Ben White. Can pass well from the back ala Stones/Maguire.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Be honest; if you can pick between AWB and that four FB, what two would you want to see in United shirt next year?

TrustInOle

I think he goes as he’s got some versatility, and importantly has shown he can make an impact from the bench - realistically he won’t start any games.
This is generally my view aswell, will be the guy to come of the bench when we need a goal. Arguably he is the best finisher for England behind Kane too.

jesperjaap

Oh please. I understand somes sentiments about tracking at the back post, that needs to improve for sure. But he is improving and certainyl has going forward, has been one of our most consistent performers this season. I agree we have a lot of right backs so can see why he isnt named. But people keep lauding ALexander Arnold, he cant defend and is positionally much worse than Bissaka. Who would you sign for us then to replace him out of interest?