England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Lee565

With Our defensive issues I would go back 3

___walker_stones_guehi
Saka__trent_rice_bellingham_gordon
____________palmer
____________kane

It's funny but there seems to be debate about how to get foden in the team due to the season he had but I think palmer had a better season but had the misfortune of being in an average Chelsea side, even with his cameos in the friendlies he has looked more threatening than what we have regularly seen from foden in an England shirt

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

___walker_stones_guehi
____________palmer
____________kane

It's funny but there seems to be debate about how to get foden in the team due to the season he had but I think palmer had a better season but had the misfortune of being in an average Chelsea side, even with his cameos in the friendlies he has looked more threatening than what we have regularly seen from foden in an England shirt
So no Foden?

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular

___walker_stones_guehi
____________palmer
____________kane

There's no way you can seriously think that Palmer had a better season than Foden.
Palmer stood out in that Chelsea team because the team was horrible for a long time and he's also a unique profile in the team in terms of style of play.

There's really no way to justify Foden not starting, given the season all available players have had. Now if he stands out in a bad way after the first 2 games, then it would be understandable to bench him.

Shinjch

I think the brave and right choice would be to leave Foden on the bench. England have too many players that want to take up the space between the attack and midfield, where they lack hugely is runners in behind. They could be quite easy to defend against. I would probably pick Gordon to start on the left.

Trippier at left back is a problem, that problem is much more pronounced without a left winger who wants to keep the width though.

I don't see enough balance in the squad for England to be contenders this time.

If I was transported to pick the team it would look something like the below out of possession -

Pickford
Walker Stones Guehi Gomez
Saka Wharton/Mainoo Rice Gordon
Bellingham Kane

ErikElevenHag

There's no way you can seriously think that Palmer had a better season than Foden.
Palmer stood out in that Chelsea team because the team was horrible for a long time and he's also a unique profile in the team in terms of style of play.

There's really no way to justify Foden not starting, given the season all available players have had. Now if he stands out in a bad way after the first 2 games, then it would be understandable to bench him.
There is definitely justification for not playing him. mainly his form in an england shirt. if he doesnt do the business for England whats the point in keep playing him. His form for city gets him in the squad, but to be in the starting line up he needs to effect games for england, something which he has failed to do so far in his england career.

DennisReynolds

The idea that Foden, the most creative and electric player England have, has to be benched because of balance issues and tactical reasons, is baffling. People really like to overcomplicate things in England when it comes to football.
True, but I also feel like Foden's performances for England are maybe excused a bit too easily. He does need to do more, whether that's in a central role or not.

GlasgowCeltic

Is this an attempt to generate discussion or is that genuinely your view?

This is spains squad. Their center backs are Laporte, Nacho, Le Normand and Vivian. Their full backs are Grimaldo, Curcurella, Carvajal and Jesus bloody Navas.

The only top quality midfielder they have there is Rodri...and Pedri if he's fit. Their star forward is a Ferran Torres who barely makes the barca XI. Their striker is either Joselu or Morata ffs.

Come on, you cannot possibly look at this squad and think its anywhere close to England's.

How many of this team gets into England's XI? Maybe the goalkeeper? Laporte ahead of Guehi possibly, Grimaldo hasn't been proven able to play in a back 4 and I'd have walker over Carvajal any day, atleast in 2024.

Rodri will play. And that's about it.

So 2, at best 3, Spain players will make the England XI.

EDIT - Tbh I forgot that Laporte fecked off to Saudi Arabia so I'm not even sure I'd play Laporte ahead of Guehi.

Carvajal has been much better than Walker this season

GlasgowCeltic

___walker_stones_guehi
____________palmer
____________kane

In that kind of setup Rashford would still be the best option to play off Kane

Lee565

Maybe leaving Bellingham out of the group games could be an option as he has looked little off his game in the last month or two for Madrid and could maybe do with resting him and having him fresh for the knockout stages which I'm sure England could easily make without him based on the fact that even 3rd place is good enough to get out of the group stage

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
There is definitely justification for not playing him. mainly his form in an england shirt. if he doesnt do the business for England whats the point in keep playing him. His form for city gets him in the squad, but to be in the starting line up he needs to effect games for england, something which he has failed to do so far in his england career.
You can blame that on the coach. If we're being honest, no England player performs for England as well as they do for their clubs (except for maybe Harry Kane).
Like I said, if he sticks out like a sore tomb after the first 2 games, then sure he can be benched. But you can't go into the competition with the form he's been in and being the PL player of the season, and bench him from the start.

And Palmer might end up being the better player of the two, but he certainly isn't the better player right now.

Patchbeard

It's just a bit of a shame that 3 of our best 4 young attacking stars are lefties and best from the right/no.10, and then the right footed one is also a bloody no.10. And then our best LB is probably not fit to provide any width. Just doesn't feel enough to be considered anywhere near favourites that Anthony fecking Gordon is our best option at LW.

If only Rashford hadn't gone to absolute shite, and Shaw had actually played this season, then I would give us a decent chance and be way more invested as a Utd fan.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Foden is not England's most creative player. You need to stop projecting the player you think he should be over the player he is

Foden is a goalscorer first, a playmaker second. Palmer, Saka, TAA, I'd say Eze and even Maddison, are all better creators than Foden

That's not to say he's not very good at it. But it's not his strong point, it's not his game, and England have several guys who are better at that

AfonsoAlves

It's just a bit of a shame that 3 of our best 4 young attacking stars are lefties and best from the right/no.10, and then the right footed one is also a bloody no.10. And then our best LB is probably not fit to provide any width. Just doesn't feel enough to be considered anywhere near favourites that Anthony fecking Gordon is our best option at LW.

If only Rashford hadn't gone to absolute shite, and Shaw had actually played this season, then I would give us a decent chance and be way more invested as a Utd fan.
do you not rate anthony gordon because you think he isn't very good after watching him? Or do you think so because you haven't watched him but his name and reputation isn't that high?

He's been fantastic this season.

AfonsoAlves

England fans when the managers of old used to select the best reputation players despite not being on form, "The manager is spineless and won't drop the 'superstars' for in form players.'

England fans when the manager drops the high reputation players for the ones currently playing very well, "wow our team is shit who are these players who are being selected. [insert high reputation player who is underperforming] is better."

waza7111

do you not rate anthony gordon because you think he isn't very good after watching him? Or do you think so because you haven't watched him but his name and reputation isn't that high?

He's been fantastic this season.
Probably because of his name. Anthony Gordon is quite a boring name.

But he has 11 goals and 10 assists this season. He should be the automatic starter on the left wing.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Just watching the Rooney doc on BBC, is this squad really better than our euro 2004 squad? Our line up for the opening game against France...

James

Neville Campbell King Cole

Beckham Gerrard Lampard Scholes

Owen Rooney

Vs our predicted line up

Pickford

Walker Stones Guehi Trippier

Rice Gallagher

Saka Bellingham Foden

Kane

Whilst the defence is obviously stronger in the 2004 version, I wouldn't say there is too much difference in the attack to warrant the hype around this squad.

AfonsoAlves

Just watching the Rooney doc on BBC, is this squad really better than our euro 2004 squad? Our line up for the opening game against France...

James

Owen Rooney

Vs our predicted line up

Pickford

Rice Gallagher

Saka Bellingham Foden

Kane

Whilst the defence is obviously stronger in the 2004 version, I wouldn't say there is too much difference in the attack to warrant the hype around this squad.
The hype comes from the core of the team being very very young and, if their career trajectories continue, they will all peak at the same time.

Attackers:

Saka (22)
Foden(24)
Gordon (23)
Palmer(22)
Eze (25)

Midfielders:

Bellingham (20)
Wharton (20)
Mainoo (19)
Gallagher (24)
Rice (25)
Trent (25)
Jones (23)
Elliot (21)

Defenders:

Cowil (21)
Branthwaite (21)
Quansah (21)
Rico(19)
Guehi (23)

Then you have Trafford in net.

Unlike the past, where you have guys who do well at U-21 but are bench warmers at their respective clubs, these guys are all starters/key players for their respective clubs, bar a few examples like Rico.

Also unlike the past, where you have talented guys who don't really kick on, all of these guys have already established themselves in the top leagues.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

James

Owen Rooney

Vs our predicted line up

Pickford

Rice Gallagher

Saka Bellingham Foden

Kane

Part of that comes from the fact that you're naturally thinking of those guys at their peaks, and not in their 2004 versions

I think it's close. And this iteration has a much better bench

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game

James

Owen Rooney

Vs our predicted line up

Pickford

Rice Gallagher

Saka Bellingham Foden

Kane

Have to agree, the current squad look too shaky at the back

AfonsoAlves

Part of that comes from the fact that you're naturally thinking of those guys at their peaks, and not in their 2004 versions

Yeah Scholes Left wing, Two goalscoring Attacking midfielders, David James, Injury Prone Owen, Teenage Rooney, No Knee's King.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

James

Owen Rooney

Vs our predicted line up

Pickford

Rice Gallagher

Saka Bellingham Foden

Kane

This England is weaker than the last 2 tournaments IMO. Shaw isn't fit, trippier has been really bad and is a liability, it's an untested CB partnership where they also aren't match fit, Rice's partner has options but it's not tested yet, Foden is a quality player but he doesn't balance that attack well so he's being shoe horned in on the left.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Who does this one have on the bench? Palmer to compete with Saka, Mainoo or Wharton are untested but obviously quality young players to step in midfield for Trent who will likely start there...

There isn't anything reliable to start at LB since Shaw isn't fit yet and the depth there is horrid, the CB options are bad, left wing options are meh. For sub options, it doesn't really matter having subs for Kane, Bellingham, Saka, walker or Rice as they'll play basically every important minute. The positions without a quality starting choice also have bad depth choices mostly

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The hype comes from the core of the team being very very young and, if their career trajectories continue, they will all peak at the same time.

Attackers:

Saka (22)
Foden(24)
Gordon (23)
Palmer(22)
Eze (25)

Midfielders:

Bellingham (20)
Wharton (20)
Mainoo (19)
Gallagher (24)
Rice (25)
Trent (25)
Jones (23)
Elliot (21)

Defenders:

Cowil (21)
Branthwaite (21)
Quansah (21)
Rico(19)
Guehi (23)

Then you have Trafford in net.

Unlike the past, where you have guys who do well at U-21 but are bench warmers at their respective clubs, these guys are all starters/key players for their respective clubs, bar a few examples like Rico.

Also unlike the past, where you have talented guys who don't really kick on, all of these guys have already established themselves in the top leagues.
Whilst thats exciting going forwards, its a reason for caution at this tournament given they'll come up against seasoned winners at this level.

Yeah Scholes Left wing, Two goalscoring Attacking midfielders, David James, Injury Prone Owen, Teenage Rooney, No Knee's King.
The make up of the side can get pulled apart, but their peaks not so much. Teenage Rooney was a phenom, Owen actually had a really good tournament. The main issue was they didn't have a LW on the level of the rest of the squad. The same can be levelled at this current side unless we're going to shoehorn Foden there much like we did with Scholes back then.

Stocar

Foden is not England's most creative player. You need to stop projecting the player you think he should be over the player he is

Foden is a goalscorer first, a playmaker second. Palmer, Saka, TAA, I'd say Eze and even Maddison, are all better creators than Foden
That sounds like when people used to argue that Iniesta or Modric weren't great playmakers because they weren't racking up assists. There are few players who have that natural ability to turn on a dime, drop the shoulder, and glide through defense.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That sounds like when people used to argue that Iniesta or Modric weren't great playmakers because they weren't racking up assists. There are few players who have that natural ability to turn on a dime, drop the shoulder, and glide through defense.
Completely different players, and meaningless comparison. Foden is a game winner. Most of what he creates, he creates for himself. Playmaking for others is not his game

Stocar

Completely different players, and meaningless comparison. Foden is a game winner. Most of what he creates, he creates for himself. Playmaking for others is not his game
Different players, but similar fundamental skill. Foden is more direct, but is good at quick link up play and has an eye for a pass.

ErikElevenHag

You can blame that on the coach. If we're being honest, no England player performs for England as well as they do for their clubs (except for maybe Harry Kane).
Like I said, if he sticks out like a sore tomb after the first 2 games, then sure he can be benched. But you can't go into the competition with the form he's been in and being the PL player of the season, and bench him from the start.

And Palmer might end up being the better player of the two, but he certainly isn't the better player right now.
Pickford, Maguire, Shaw, Bellingham, Rashford, Kane and Trippier have all performed at level similar and in some cases better than their club form for England.

You're making excuses for a player who's recognised as world class. His performances for England have been verging on invisible. What he does for city is irrelevant and for me it wouldn't be a shock to see him left out first game, regardless of the faux outrage Southgate will face for it. If there are players who perform better then they have to play.

If Foden starts, it should be out on the left. Bellingham has shown he can perform for England and is coming off the back of arguably a better season than foden.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Foden is more direct, but is good at quick link up play and has an eye for a pass.
None of that changes the fact other guys are better than him at creating for others. Or that his natural instinct when linking up is to get the ball back in a better position to shoot

In old 442 of the 90s, Foden is a second striker. Not a midfielder

Bobski

James

Owen Rooney

Vs our predicted line up

Pickford

Rice Gallagher

Saka Bellingham Foden

Kane

2004 team, and really that whole England period lacked pace in the wide attacking areas, relied too much on Owen for penetration.

The Purley King

None of that changes the fact other guys are better than him at creating for others. Or that his natural instinct when linking up is to get the ball back in a better position to shoot

In old 442 of the 90s, Foden is a second striker. Not a midfielder
Foden shines in a city team that has clear patterns of attacking play.
England tend to pass the ball fairly aimlessly and slowly across the front 4 without any huge movement especially when the other team is set in a defensive shape.
Personally I’d say one of foden or Bellingham should play but not both.
I’d change that against a better team where we’d expect to find more gaps as we wouldn’t have so much of the ball.
Southgate won’t do that though

saivet

Foden shines in a city team that has clear patterns of attacking play.
England tend to pass the ball fairly aimlessly and slowly across the front 4 without any huge movement especially when the other team is set in a defensive shape.
Personally I’d say one of foden or Bellingham should play but not both.
I’d change that against a better team where we’d expect to find more gaps as we wouldn’t have so much of the ball.
Southgate won’t do that though
I'm inclined to agree, although I do think it is worth playing Foden on the LW and seeing how he does. The position isn't new to him for City or England, so he can't use the excuse of being played out of position. I think Gordon is a better fit for the LW role but if Foden can excel there, he should play.

I think it's more difficult to drop Bellingham than Foden. Bellingham will likely contribute more defensively and even if he's playing poorly, I don't think there's a risk of him becoming a passenger, which I think Foden can become.

George The Best

Has his detractors here but Maguire is a big miss for England. He’s never let the National Team down. That said, I think the waistcoat will go 4-2-3-1

Pickford
Walker Stones Guehi. Gomez
Rice. Mainoo
Palmer. Bellingham Foden
Kane