England in India 2021

JohnnyKills

Really frustrating. All they have to do is make is one longer programme, rather than a new one at 6am. The technology is all there.

You’d have thought they’d realise people are working from home and would love to sit and have the whole day in the background. Plus the extra ad revenue.
The presentation has been crap, tbh. If they can't show it properly, they shouldn't have bid.

As you say, why can't they have a catch-up feature like BT do? Just record the programme and let viewers watch it from the start.

Reading out the tweets straight after the game was appalling too, like it was the One Show ffs.

JohnnyKills

Looks like Archer gave Ashwin a bit of a pasting! Bet Buttler was urging him on behind the stumps.

Skills

Snitch
Good win for England.

Should be interesting to see if we make any changes to the team. I'd look at dropping Rohit and getting Washington to open and get Pandya in at No. 6/7
See I don't understand why anyone would want Washington Sundar opening, with India's wealth of opening talent?

The most obvious change is to just get Kuldeep in as the second spinner.

JohnnyKills

The presentation has been crap, tbh. If they can't show it properly, they shouldn't have bid.

As you say, why can't they have a catch-up feature like BT do? Just record the programme and let viewers watch it from the start.

Reading out the tweets straight after the game was appalling too, like it was the One Show ffs.
Now they're showing reruns of the Big Bang Theory ffs. Millions of people missed the action live, they should be doing analysis at least (they may have a highlights programme on later tbf).

Dan_F

I wasn’t as bothered by the studio etc as some, I think even the Sky coverage suffered a bit by not being at the ground. However, I’m surprised they couldn’t pull in any other ex players to add to analysis. 5 days is a long time to effectively use 1 player, 1 presenter and then someone via video call occasionally.

I just don’t understand the catch up part at all, because all the technology is there on All4, unless there’s some kind of rights issue with it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I wasn’t as bothered by the studio etc as some, I think even the Sky coverage suffered a bit by not being at the ground. However, I’m surprised they couldn’t pull in any other ex players to add to analysis. 5 days is a long time to effectively use 1 player, 1 presenter and then someone via video call occasionally.

I just don’t understand the catch up part at all, because all the technology is there on All4, unless there’s some kind of rights issue with it.
Said it previously, add to this the issues with live online streaming, the channel literally cutting out yesterday... I know this has been a quick turnaround period for them, but it's been a really poor production operation.

Always loved the idea of cricket on terrestrial, and can remember it being on channel 4 when I was growing up. Needs much improving for the second test. If it's a rinse and repeat job, then long may Sky rule the cricket waves.

Djemba-Djemba

What a brilliant, brilliant win for England.

What a player Jimmy is though. Where are those morons calling him Clouderson I wonder?, nobody on here I know but there's plenty elsewhere.

ChrisNelson

Didn't Channel 4 pick up the rights like 2 days before the Test started?

I think it's a bit harsh to be criticizing the coverage given how little time they had to throw it together, especially bearing in mind they rely on the host broadcaster for the match footage.

They still managed to bring in a very good presenter and paired him with England's leading run scorer and previous captain!

If they'd known for a month they'd be carrying it then yes they could have done better.

It will be interesting to see what they do for the second Test, particularly with England going 1-0 up there will be a lot more interest, some might have given up if we'd lost, anticipating a whitewash!

TheGame

See I don't understand why anyone would want Washington Sundar opening, with India's wealth of opening talent?

The most obvious change is to just get Kuldeep in as the second spinner.
Any reason why Kuldeep isn't picked ahead of Nadeem. Saw the latter's first class figures and while decent, just curious why he was picked ahead of Kuldeep?

JohnnyKills

Didn't Channel 4 pick up the rights like 2 days before the Test started?

I think it's a bit harsh to be criticizing the coverage given how little time they had to throw it together, especially bearing in mind they rely on the host broadcaster for the match footage.

They still managed to bring in a very good presenter and paired him with England's leading run scorer and previous captain!

If they'd known for a month they'd be carrying it then yes they could have done better.

It will be interesting to see what they do for the second Test, particularly with England going 1-0 up there will be a lot more interest, some might have given up if we'd lost, anticipating a whitewash!
The fact that they only had two days to plan is a point against them, not in their favour. Sky or BT would have had a team of pundits ready to go.

As others have said, it was a shame Sky got the rights to international cricket back in the mid-90s but you realise how far they've come since then when you watch this. The lack of catch-up options is really poor when you consider that most of the key action happened when their audience was asleep. If this was on Sky you'd be able to watch the highlights throughout the day and on BT you could choose to watch the entire day from the start.

Also, Cook and Strauss are two really tedious pundits. Surely they could have found another ex-England player who wasn't contracted to Sky?

Maybe rights are a problem here. Perhaps the BCCI said 'you have to use our commentary, you can only show a certain highlights package' etc, hence why Sky and BT didn't pull out all the stops.

Skills

Snitch
Any reason why Kuldeep isn't picked ahead of Nadeem. Saw the latter's first class figures and while decent, just curious why he was picked ahead of Kuldeep?
I guess they didn't want two bowlers bowling into the right handers.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Excellent win for England, thoroughly deserved. The Australia tour must’ve been draining for India but that’s in the past now and they need to get that intensity back. Selection of Nadeem was weird so hopefully that’s put right in the next test and winning the toss for once would be nice too.

NinjaFletch

So when will Channel 4 deign it suitable for me to be allowed to watch some highlights?

Dan_F

The fact that they only had two days to plan is a point against them, not in their favour. Sky or BT would have had a team of pundits ready to go.

As others have said, it was a shame Sky got the rights to international cricket back in the mid-90s but you realise how far they've come since then when you watch this. The lack of catch-up options is really poor when you consider that most of the key action happened when their audience was asleep. If this was on Sky you'd be able to watch the highlights throughout the day and on BT you could choose to watch the entire day from the start.

Also, Cook and Strauss are two really tedious pundits. Surely they could have found another ex-England player who wasn't contracted to Sky?

Maybe rights are a problem here. Perhaps the BCCI said 'you have to use our commentary, you can only show a certain highlights package' etc, hence why Sky and BT didn't pull out all the stops.
I didn’t really read into it too much, but I can only assume it was something like that. I don’t really understand why Sky wouldn’t want it. In terms of potential viewership it would have been massive for them, especially with the fact it’s a dedicated channel, so people would have been watching it back throughout the day.

So when will Channel 4 deign it suitable for me to be allowed to watch some highlights?
Probably after they’ve showed some kind of highlights later on? When I was looking to watch back this mornings session, I could only see 23 minute highlights of each days play :nervous:

NinjaFletch

I didn’t really read into it too much, but I can only assume it was something like that. I don’t really understand why Sky wouldn’t want it. In terms of potential viewership it would have been massive for them, especially with the fact it’s a dedicated channel, so people would have been watching it back throughout the day.

Probably after they’ve showed some kind of highlights later on? When I was looking to watch back this mornings session, I could only see 23 minute highlights of each days play :nervous:
BCCI have a 6 minute highlight package on their website, but its not really good enough from 4. No point having cricket on FTA TV if no one can bloody watch it.

Dan_F

BCCI have a 6 minute highlight package on their website, but its not really good enough from 4. No point having cricket on FTA TV if no one can bloody watch it.
6 minutes! Is that even enough for 9 wickets and the boundaries with one replay of each.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yet another masterclass by Jimmy Anderson. So accurate and so clever. Such a fantastic sportsman. Long may he continue.

ChrisNelson

It's actually amazing to think he made his ODI debut in 2002 and Test a year later.

Even for a batsman that kind of longevity would be fantastic, but for a fast bowler it's phenomenal.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Fantastic by England. So many positives. Even the spinners deserve credit, both may be inconsistent, but both do get some revs on the ball and isn’t that what spin bowling is about at the end of the day?!
Still expecting India to win this series. They will want to come back hard at England and pummel us in their own backyard. But as I suspected might happen India have a real fight on their hands. England’s best bet is probably a draw if we can sneak the day night test with the pink ball.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
All will be decided by the toss in the next match. Each team knows how to win on this pitch, and that task is a 100 times more likely batting first.

zing

Zingle balls
All will be decided by the toss in the next match. Each team knows how to win on this pitch, and that task is a 100 times more likely batting first.
It's a different pitch for next match
I suspect the the BCCI will take a dim view of India going 2-0 down -- so I don't know if the curator will have that in mind(or can do anything about it at short notice)

iKnowNothing

Will England play with an unchanged lineup or will they bring in Broad for Anderson, given their rotation policy? (Or perhaps that’s for the 3rd test?)

It good in a way that India lost. Now everyone and their dog will scrutinize their performance and the poor performers can’t hide behind any of the guys who may have managed to eek out a draw here.
Nadim I suppose is on the chopping block. Despite calls to drop Rohit and Rahane, I don’t think either will be dropped (unless they get a mysterious illness or injury in the next couple of days)

JohnnyKills

Will England play with an unchanged lineup or will they bring in Broad for Anderson, given their rotation policy? (Or perhaps that’s for the 3rd test?)

It good in a way that India lost. Now everyone and their dog will scrutinize their performance and the poor performers can’t hide behind any of the guys who may have managed to eek out a draw here.
Nadim I suppose is on the chopping block. Despite calls to drop Rohit and Rahane, I don’t think either will be dropped (unless they get a mysterious illness or injury in the next couple of days)
I would keep same team and then bring in Broad and Wood/Stone for third test.

NinjaFletch

Buttler is going home so Foakes is coming in for sure. Broad for Anderson too I reckon.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The original thought would have been to rest Jimmy for the 2nd test, but I reckon he plays now alongside Broad.

Slight risk, and not sure I agree - but that's my prediction.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
England will surely bring broad in for the next game and then play both him & Jimmy in the day night third test

JohnnyKills

Buttler going home after this test so I would imagine Foakes in for him and Broad coming in for Anderson and possibly Wood for Archer if England decide to rest both seamers.
Yeah sorry, meant with Foakes for Buttler.

If it was me I'd keep the same team for the second test and rotate for the third.

JohnnyKills

The original thought would have been to rest Jimmy for the 2nd test, but I reckon he plays now alongside Broad.

Slight risk, and not sure I agree - but that's my prediction.
That would be a bad move IMO. We've just beaten India - why would we remove the pace and go back to a fast-bowling lineup which got hammered last time we played them?

Anderson bowled well this morning but so did Archer on the first day. Let's not forget who got the first two wickets on day 3.

JohnnyKills

If you look, on the C4 highlights they have the BCCI logo in the corner. That stipulation was probably the reason Sky and BT wouldn't take it.

Sorry, enough messages from me now, really need to get the hang of the multi-post thing!

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think there isn't much money to be made in these rights frankly . The timing of the matches isn't great and so the live numbers are going to be pretty low . C4 deserve to be cut some slack because it is FTA and they are also.streaming it for free on the app . Obviously if there was genuine profit to be made from broadcast then sky / Bt wouldn't have left it for c4

MoskvaRed

While England need to avoid the trap of trying to play the same test twice, I’d keep Jimmy in the side as he can plant seeds of doubt in India’s batsmen in a way that Bess, Leach, Stokes and Archer can’t. We need the 2 spinners so it then becomes a toss up between Broad and Archer and whether you think the potential for extra runs from Broad outweighs the sheer pace threat of Archer.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think there isn't much money to be made in these rights frankly . The timing of the matches isn't great and so the live numbers are going to be pretty low . C4 deserve to be cut some slack because it is FTA and they are also.streaming it for free on the app . Obviously if there was genuine profit to be made from broadcast then sky / Bt wouldn't have left it for c4

Pretty much the state of play yep. The timings/viewing potential didn't suit Sky when compared with the price wanted by the BCCI for rights a few years back. They had no interest in coming back in.

BT are happy with the Ashes next winter. Left a cut price last min deal for C4, which should be great news for all Cricket fans regardless if the coverage between innings could be 'slightly more professional'. Small price to pay for the mass market.

JohnnyKills

Pretty much the state of play yep. The timings/viewing potential didn't suit Sky when compared with the price wanted by the BCCI for rights a few years back. They had no interest in coming back in.

BT are happy with the Ashes next winter. Left a cut price last min deal for C4, which should be great news for all Cricket fans regardless if the coverage between innings could be 'slightly more professional'. Small price to pay for the mass market.
The problem is the lack of catch-up options during the day. No point it being on terrestrial TV if no-one can actually watch it while they're awake!

Hopefully they'll rectify that with a playback option on the app by the next test.

BCCI sound very difficult by all accounts.