England in India 2021

Djemba-Djemba

No that was the umpire fault. He reckoned there was a shot. He should be out of the job.
The standard of umpiring in all aspects in this test has been shockingly poor. It's raised concerns about having home country umpires.

Luckily it's not going to have a big impact on the match because India are going to comfortably win so it's not going to be as controversial as it could have been.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
India have every right to prepare a wicket that is best suited to them . I think most England fans expected the team to struggle against spin & lose 4-0 so I think it's wrong to think that they are moaning just because of the loss . This pitch is a bit extreme though and even the Indian commentators have said that they haven't seen a pitch like this
India deserve to win because they have played better cricket but I do think that teams shouldn't be allowed to do absolutely anything with the pitch just for home advantage
Indian commentators talk a lot of shit. The last time Aussie visited, the first test match pitch was more extreme and it backfired on us with O Keefe absolutely wrecking us. Took 12/80 or something like that. We got bowled out for 105 in both innings.

Sanche7

Teams shouldn't be allowed to do absolutely anything with the pitch just for home advantage
Absolutely agree. There should be some sort of oversight by the ICC in regards to the pitch preparation. Allowing the home team to have complete control over the pitch gives them a huge advantage even before a single bowl is bowled.

JohnnyKills

It's spinner, not spinners. They have a really good one.
Leach is decent but he still bowls too many loose deliveries. Not sure you can say he's really good.

Moeen still looks shot. Wonder if that change of action he made a couple of years ago has damaged him.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Leach is decent but he still bowls too many loose deliveries. Not sure you can say he's really good.

Moeen still looks shot. Wonder if that change of action he made a couple of years ago has damaged him.
I was saying Ashwin was really good and that Leach is as good as the rest of India's options, without Jadeja.

JohnnyKills

If the ball's going to swing in the day-nighter would you drop Moeen and play four quicks?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Uncontested tosses for touring teams could be one way to prevent home teams preparing pitches skewed in their favour, they tried it in the County Championship but then got rid of it as they did not feel it was having a positive impact.

ArmchairCritic

If the ball's going to swing in the day-nighter would you drop Moeen and play four quicks?
Have to look at the pitch first. In Chennai the SG ball has worn quickly and offered reverse quite early, be interesting to see what their pink ball does but I would not go in expecting to play 4 seamers.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Whats the difference between swing and seam from the first ball and spin from the first day? This whining is typical. I remember the Jo'Burg pitch in 2018 where it was a minefield for fast bowlers. We went out and beat SA at their own game - no complaints.

We've been wrecked in tours of SA, Aus, NZ and Eng and as far as I'm aware, we rarely have complaints of the conditions. We've always bemoaned our batsmen for the lack of their ability in foreign conditions. Just get good, I'd say.

JohnnyKills

Have to look at the pitch first. In Chennai the SG ball has worn quickly and offered reverse quite early, be interesting to see what their pink ball does but I would not go in expecting to play 4 seamers.
It's an option isn't it. As you say, very pitch-dependent.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I am absolutely certain that England will play only leach in that test. Woakes or Curran will play in place of Ali . If Moeen can't do it on this pitch he has to go

JohnnyKills

Whats the difference between swing and seam from the first ball and spin from the first day? This whining is typical. I remember the Jo'Burg pitch in 2018 where it was a minefield for fast bowlers. We went out and beat SA at their own game - no complaints.

We've been wrecked in tours of SA, Aus, NZ and Eng and as far as I'm aware, we rarely have complaints of the conditions. We've always bemoaned our batsmen for the lack of their ability in foreign conditions. Just get good, I'd say.
Are people whingeing? Not sure too many are really. Tbh i think it's fair enough, the beauty of test cricket is that you get different kinds of pitches. Looks like the toss was important here though.

Di Maria's angel

That spin gets worse as the match goes on.
So what? We used to destroy teams in flat conditions a few years back and the whining was non stop back then too.

Like I said, instead of complaining, these teams should maybe look to improve in the way we did in respect to our fast bowlers.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

See this is a terrible argument. There is a definite difference between pitches which seam on day 1 & ones that turn on day 1. It really isn't that hard to understand either but people want to equate the two for some reason

Pitches that seam generally get better after day 1 , pitches that spin get even worse .

DOTA

So what? We used to destroy teams in flat conditions a few years back and the whining was non stop back then too.

Like I said, instead of complaining, these teams should maybe look to improve in the way we did in respect to our fast bowlers.
You asked a question. You got an answer.

AshRK

Sure but one is under lights right? And India might not win the toss both times.
There is no guarantee had England won the toss the scenario would have been any different to this. Pitch is assisting spinners but it has been the same since ball one. Truth is England have bowled and batted horribly. If India scores 200 plus in this innings, it just shows England were just poor.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

England beat India last week ffs . Also it's not the England team complaining so not sure what you are on about

Di Maria's angel

Are people whingeing? Not sure too many are really. Tbh i think it's fair enough, the beauty of test cricket is that you get different kinds of pitches. Looks like the toss was important here though.
Yeah of course, Johnny. We're not the holy grail of cricket teams but we put in a tonne of work in improving aspects of our game that were lacking. Those horrible tours of England and Australia went a long way in changing Indian cricket.

Other teams should look to do the same if they want to succeed in these opposing conditions.

DOTA

There is no guarantee had England won the toss the scenario would have been any different to this. Pitch is assisting spinners but it has been the same since ball one. Truth is England have bowled and batted horribly. If India scores 200 plus in this innings, it just shows England were just poor.
I'm not sure England batted that badly. It's definitely the bowling I'd point to.

ArmchairCritic

Ah man, I hate talking about pitches :lol: . I think everyone prefer's pitches that last 5 days and offer an even contest between bat and ball but also accepts that you're going to get pitches biased in the favour of the home team's strengths and that it is part of the challenge of touring.

England did a great job last test, India have done a great job this test.

Personally I do prefer pitches that have more in them for seamers, I just find fast bowling more exciting than spin bowling.

Di Maria's angel

See this is a terrible argument. There is a definite difference between pitches which seam on day 1 & ones that turn on day 1. It really isn't that hard to understand either but people want to equate the two for some reason

Pitches that seam generally get better after day 1 , pitches that spin get even worse .
So the solution is to have pitches which behave the same? That'd be pretty boring, no?

DOTA

It's getting feisty in here!

JohnnyKills

Agree

Di Maria's angel

Ah man, I hate talking about pitches :lol: . I think everyone prefer's pitches that last 5 days and offer an even contest between bat and ball but also accepts that you're going to get pitches biased in the favour of the home team's strengths and that it is part of the challenge of touring.

The problem is when India lose matches be it home or away, theres never talk about the wicket. We're winning today and of course, theres talk about the pitch.

That said, I love this thread and this rivalry.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The funny thing is that the first test was an outlier . This Indian team would beat this England team on any surface in India 9 out of 10 times . No one is asking for seaming wickets , you expect turning tracks when you play in India but this one just went a bit extreme. I don't think toss played a huge role , England just don't have the skill level to win in these conditions

JohnnyKills

Personally I do prefer pitches that have more in them for seamers, I just find fast bowling more exciting than spin bowling.
I love spinning tracks personally, find it much more exciting to watch with everyone round the bat, lbw shouts every few seconds but guess everyone is different.

AshRK

I'm not sure England batted that badly. It's definitely the bowling I'd point to.
But the point is none of the dismissals were due to some craziness in the pitch. Ashwin as always was brilliant but also some of the shots were not good. Foakes was your best batsmen who looked quite comfortable. Rest never did.

DOTA

But the point is none of the dismissals were due to some craziness in the pitch. Ashwin as always was brilliant but also some of the shots were not good. Foakes was your best batsmen who looked quite comfortable. Rest never did.
Yeah, it's just really good conditions for Ashwin who is a really good bowler.

JohnnyKills

The funny thing is that the first test was an outlier . This Indian team would beat this England team on any surface in India 9 out of 10 times . No one is asking for seaming wickets , you expect turning tracks when you play in India but this one just went a bit extreme. I don't think toss played a huge role , England just don't have the skill level to win in these conditions
Think you're doing England a disservice here.

Di Maria's angel

Absolutely not , have turning tracks in India but maybe not this extreme where puff of dust is coming out every ball in the 8th over of day 1 .
Yeah OK and we should also ensure that the ball doesnt swing ball 1 in other conditions. Sounds fair.

DOTA

Think you're doing England a disservice here.
Things are declining rapidly. At this rate we'll be arguing over an umpiring decision from 2006 before the third day starts.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's a pointless discussion tbh. You'll get similar pitches in next two matches. We will get green pitches in England for the next series. Let's move on and discuss how the feck rohit sharma scored 161 on this pitch.