England in India 2021

NinjaFletch

Seemed like it was pre-agreed with Moeen but for some reason the ECB haven't outlined all their plans. I don't think Root is to blame here at all, the fault would be from the ECB who haven't always handled Moeen that well.
Ah weird, weird management all round. For what it's worth I agree with the second paragraph of the second tweet at any rate.

Players need to get out of the bubble and we need to be comfortable with them doing that when they really need to, even if it means changing plans at the last minute.

zing

Zingle balls

Seemed like it was pre-agreed with Moeen but for some reason the ECB haven't outlined all their plans. I don't think Root is to blame here at all, the fault would be from the ECB who haven't always handled Moeen that well.
can someone explain how it's 5 months for Moeen? Which tours are getting added up here?

Does it assume he's in the IPL for 2 months - even though hes been released and may be unsold in 2 days time?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Shane Warne / KP / Michael Vaughan Twitter whinge and know it all fest is very boring isn't it.

Three cracking players, have some humility talking about the game FFS.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
As a neutral who enjoys watching his Indian brother in law suffer, I’d say it’s a shame, neither can most of the Indians
India's top 6 is probably the best in world Cricket currently.

zing

Zingle balls
Am I the only one who thinks Burns, Sibley, Crawley is a good top 3 that should be persisted with?

Sibley and Crawley in particular in the home summer looked class. They may yet end up being bad sub continental players but you can’t teach raw talent and those 2 have them.

Short term some changes may be required for this series but all 3 — Burns looked the most settled player since Strauss retired as Cooks partner —should be given longer.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Nah, no chance, they aren’t even good enough to get in the India line up when tendulkar, laxman, ganguly and The Wall we’re playing. Maybe kohli but that’s it
Who has a better top 6 on paper then mate?

And what shame is there in not being as good as that top 6!?

NinjaFletch

Am I the only one who thinks Burns, Sibley, Crawley is a good top 3 that should be persisted with?

Sibley and Crawley in particular in the home summer looked class. They may yet end up being bad sub continental players but you can’t teach raw talent and those 2 have them.

Short term some changes may be required for this series but all 3 — Burns looked the most settled player since Strauss retired as Cooks partner —should be given longer.
No, I agree.

Burns's issues has been chucking it away when he's got in (reverse sweep against Ashwin last test a good example) and even yesterday I thought he looked very comfortable and used his feet well until he inexplicably played across the line.

He looks horrid though, so I can see why people don't have much patience for him if he doesn't have a weight of runs behind him.

BR7

I think Sibley and Crawley should be the opening bats (Crawleys from my home town so slightly biased maybe) but I think Burns has too many issues with his stance, I’d prefer to see Ollie Pope up there or Jonny Bairstow .... personally

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I don't think there is any thought within the England setup that this wont be persisted with bar maybe a slight temptation with Bairstow.

I'm not convinced on Sibley myself, but most seem more concerned with Burns - which surprises me.

BR7

Who has a better top 6 on paper then mate?

And what shame is there in not being as good as that top 6!?
Well, the games changed, batsmen are a lot more aggressive today in test cricket matches due to their upbringings and the rise of limited overs cricket.

For me, a top test batsman has to be able to score heavily on every type of wicket and the current India side struggle with swing conditions whereas the boys I’m taking about didn’t struggle as much in England back in those days. Plus if you’re used to playing on doctored home wickets, how come so many Indian bats struggled in the two test matches? I’d have the England batting lineup ahead of the Indian line up if playing in England.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Well, the games changed, batsmen are a lot more aggressive today in test cricket matches due to their upbringings and the rise of limited overs cricket.

For me, a top test batsman has to be able to score heavily on every type of wicket and the current India side struggle with swing conditions whereas the boys I’m taking about didn’t struggle as much in England back in those days. Plus if you’re used to playing on doctored home wickets, how come so many Indian bats struggled in the two test matches? I’d have the England batting lineup ahead of the Indian line up if playing in England.
You've gone off on a tangent here. I wont even address some of the new points raised that i'd call wide of the mark.

I claimed the India top 6 is the current best in world cricket on paper.

Do you disagree? If so, whose is better?

NinjaFletch

I think Sibley and Crawley should be the opening bats (Crawleys from my home town so slightly biased maybe) but I think Burns has too many issues with his stance, I’d prefer to see Ollie Pope up there or Jonny Bairstow .... personally
Eugh, I really don't like either of these selections. Pope is still feeling his way in to test cricket and is a pretty quick scorer with all the pros and cons that come with it. He's perfect at 5/6 and MAY be ready to move up when he's established himself, but I don't think there's any convincing argument for why he's better off batting at 3/4 than he is at 5/6 now or who would be a better fit at 5/6 if you moved him.

Bairstow has spent several years being absolutely shit in test cricket and being bowled for fun. He averaged 18 (eighteen!) for a year before he was dropped. He might be a decent stop gap option to bat 3 in the subcontinent (and frankly, I think it's better to give Bairstow that fairly thankless task than someone like Lawrence who is at the other end of his career) but I can't really see where the confidence is that he can do it anywhere else or that he's solved those issues against swing bowling. He'll need more than a few starts against a pretty abject Sri Lanka side to convince my he's the answer there, at any rate.

BR7

I don't think there is any thought within the England setup that this wont be persisted with bar maybe a slight temptation with Bairstow.

I'm not convinced on Sibley myself, but most seem more concerned with Burns - which surprises me.
It’s that stance, so many triggers for me personally

BR7

You've gone off on a tangent here. I wont even address some of the new points raised that i'd call wide of the mark.

I claimed the India top 6 is the current best in world cricket on paper.

Do you disagree? If so, whose is better?
I gave my answer at the end I think

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
can someone explain how it's 5 months for Moeen? Which tours are getting added up here?

Does it assume he's in the IPL for 2 months - even though hes been released and may be unsold in 2 days time?
Yeah it will include IPL, he's back in India anyway in March for the T20s and ODIs (probably for the latter though I could see England go very weak for that).

BR7

Eugh, I really don't like either of these selections. Pope is still feeling his way in to test cricket and is a pretty quick scorer with all the pros and cons that come with it. He's perfect at 5/6 and MAY be ready to move up when he's established himself, but I don't think there's any convincing argument for why he's better off batting at 3/4 than he is at 5/6 now or who would be a better fit at 5/6 if you moved him.

Bairstow has spent several years being absolutely shit in test cricket and being bowled for fun. He averaged 18 (eighteen!) for a year before he was dropped. He might be a decent stop gap option to bat 3 in the subcontinent (and frankly, I think it's better to give Bairstow that fairly thankless task than someone like Lawrence who is at the other end of his career) but I can't really see where the confidence is that he can do it anywhere else or that he's solved those issues against swing bowling.
I just don’t see any other no 3s there. I agree with Pope, but I see an Ian bell in the making so give him a chance now so he can settle in the role soon, that was my thinking. Lawrence is a 5 I think

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I gave my answer at the end I think
Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Buttler
v
Gill, Rohit, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Pant

Fair enough if you'd take the England top 6. Not sure many would.

Give it a few years with Pant and Gill and it might not even be the slightest contest.

NinjaFletch

I just don’t see any other no 3s there. I agree with Pope, but I see an Ian bell in the making so give him a chance now so he can settle in the role soon, that was my thinking. Lawrence is a 5 I think
Well I think Bell's a cautionary tale in that regard. I never got the impression he cracked batting at 3, and I'm not sure his game really suited it. England, and Bell himself, did a lot better when we had a stodgy, unfashionable 3 in Trott than when we tried to shoe-horn Bell in up the order. I think Crawley's still a work in progress, but I think his range of abilities look more suited to that role than anyone else around the side at the moment.

Last edited:

BR7

v

Give it a few years with Pant and Gill and it might not even be the slightest contest.
I think gill won’t be as good as people think. Plus I did say I’d take the England line up against India in England not everywhere but that makes the further point that the India lineup are not all that when playing in England for example.

I’ll turn the question, would you take that India batting line up Against Englands in a test series in England, on a bet?

YAMS49

v

It's already not a slightest contest. Only Root & Stokes would get close.

BR7

Well I think Bell's a cautionary tale in that regard. I never got the impression he cracked batting at 3, and I'm not sure his game really suited it. England, and Bell himself, did a lot better when we had a stodgy, unfashionable, 3 in Trott than when we tried to shoe-horn him in up the order. I think Crawley's still a work in progress, but I think his range of abilities look more suited to that role than anyone else around the side at the moment.
Yeah he looked a bit uncomfortable at three to begin with but I think grew into it, he preferred 5 by the looks of it. I did like Trotty, him and balance had incredible starts.

It’s a tough one, I love text book batsmen at three and Pope is as textbook as they come, with a brilliant ability to turn to one day mode when he needs to.

BR7

Gill is still too young to call as well, nah not having it specially in England, gill would be lucky to have a 30+ average in tests in England. Pant over butler? Hrrrm not a straight easy choice either

zing

Zingle balls
Gill is still too young to call as well, nah not having it specially in England, gill would be lucky to have a 30+ average in tests in England. Pant over butler? Hrrrm not a straight easy choice either
I'd happily take a bet that Gill will average 30+ in England.

zing

Zingle balls
I’m game bro, let’s say 25 quid, next test series in England v India, S Gill to not average over 30 by the end of the series (minimum 4 tests) you say he will.
Yup - done.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Nah, no chance, they aren’t even good enough to get in the India line up when tendulkar, laxman, ganguly and The Wall we’re playing. Maybe kohli but that’s it
I'd take this top six over any of our previous ones and yes that include fab fours. They were the ones who lost 0-4 consecutively in England and Australia. They might be great individually but loads of tests we just folded in the last innings.

A full strength XI this team would beat that fab four team quite comfortably. The fab four folded under pressure in tests and that's the truth.

Last edited:

SinNombre

So 2 out of six, one away from a 50/50 split and that’s a no contest?
I don’t think he said 2/6. He said 2/6 were close.

Kohli was the top scorer from either team in the last series in England so it would be strange if you would 100% pick Root above him.

JohnnyKills

The relevant English players have arguably more IPL experience than Indian players of county cricket.
Yeah but playing on flat pitches for 40 overs and playing on spinning tracks for five days are very different things aren't they.

BR7

What’s going on with ishan kishan,
Would get close were the words I used I think. Root over Pujara who could then open instead & Stokes. The rest aren't even an argument imo.
I’d still say it’s a lot closer than you’re making it. Pant over buttler is not an easy choice for me and probably others. I’d definitely take root and kohli first ahead of the rest and work from there

JohnnyKills

You're not serious are you?

Root and Stokes would walk into the Indian team and Crawley has done more in test cricket than Gill so far. Pant and Buttler is a 50-50 call.

BR7

I'd take this top six over any of our previous ones and yes that include fab fours. They were the ones who lost 0-4 consecutively in England and Australia. They might be great individually but loads of tests we just folded in the last innings.

A full strength XI this team would beat that fab four team quite comfortably. The fab four folded under pressure in tests and that's the truth.
And how were your bowlers bowling during those matches. A match isn’t decided by just batsmen, if your bowlers aren’t taking wickets or are too expensive that does place strain in your batsmen. I don’t really recall any top Indian bowlers in England. Chetan sharna was ok, kapil dev was good, but it wasn’t really until Zaheer Khan (from when I started watching cricket) turned up on England that I really rated an Indian pace bowler