England in India 2021

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Gill is a once in a generation batting talent so there's no point in having this argument.
That's a massive leap in faith. He's played very few matches to be judged as a generational talent. He will now be observed and scrutinised very carefully by oppositions coaches to find his strong points and weaknesses. Let's wait for a few years and observe how he performs in different conditions. He'll need a lot more than just talent to succeed at the very top.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That's a massive leap in faith. He's played very few matches to be judged as a generational talent. He will now be observed and scrutinised very carefully by oppositions coaches to find his strong points and weaknesses. Let's wait for a few years and observe how he performs in different conditions. He'll need a lot more than just talent to succeed at the very top.
For me he's the Indian Cricket team equivalent of Greenwood i.e I'm absolutely convinced he'll be world class in two-three years.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
For me he's the Indian Cricket team equivalent of Greenwood i.e I'm absolutely convinced he'll be world class in two-three years.
They definitely look to have massive potential, but it's a massive journey with lots of pitfalls, and not just in the sporting arena. Let's hope they both fulfil our expectations and become class players.

KM

They definitely look to have massive potential, but it's a massive journey with lots of pitfalls, and not just in the sporting arena. Let's hope they both fulfil our expectations and become class players.
Gill is dating Sachin's daughter so can't have a better father(inlaw) figure than him.

BR7

Same with Pant vs Butler. Buttler is also 30, Pant is just 23.

Also all these combined 11 are for "who is better now" rather than "how good these players will be 5 years down the line".
Yeah, not unreasonable comment but Rohit has had the most chances/innings out of all of them and he doesn’t exactly look like he’s looking after himself so I give him 2 more years and still no test ton abroad.

JohnnyKills

Class players. Gooch and Gatting were very good at playing spin.

You can name plenty of brilliant batsmen of the past. I was only mentioning the present players on tour. I think Bairstow is a very decent player of spin and should do better than some of those who played in this match.
Agreed. He should bat 3. Lawrence's time will come but Bairstow more likely to score runs in the current situation.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So who is the best no 4 test batsman in the world? Some outstanding batsmen to choose from.
I can't answer that question for you but for me in regards to the best test batsman in the world are instead of the fab four I'm going to say a fab 6 consisting off.

In no particular order

Root/Kohli/Williamson/Smith/Labuschagne/Babar

Pant/Stokes/Elgar/Pujara/Rizwan in the tier below.

BR7

I can't answer that question for you but for me in regards to the best test batsman in the world are instead of the fab four I'm going to say a fab 6 consisting off.

In no particular order

Some decent no 4s there.The first 4 on your list are the Top 4 bats in the world for me personally. Wonder how many eras can boast having 4 bats reaching 10,000 test runs. KWs got the lowest runs at 7,100 odd and roots on 8,500 odd. Absolutely superb viewing these 4.

JohnnyKills

In no particular order

Think I'd have Stokes in there somewhere, probably ahead of one of the last two.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Any word on what pitch conditions we can expect then?

9am start in the UK, perfect.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I wonder what the TV viewing figures are going to be like for this test considering its at a favourable time. There is talk that Broad and Anderson will play this test which would be a poor choice, Drop Broad as we know he's not up for it in subcontinent conditions.

Aint gota Kalou

I wonder what the TV viewing figures are going to be like for this test considering its at a favourable time. There is talk that Broad and Anderson will play this test which would be a poor choice, Drop Broad as we know he's not up for it in subcontinent conditions.
I think having Anderson, Broad and Archer will leave us with a long tail so I expect it'll be Woakes instead of Broad.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Name is changed to "Narendra Modi Stadium". :lol: Twitter will be fun today.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Seeing as Archer has shown all the batting capabilities of dead cert tailender, I'm not loving the depth to this England batting line up. Woakes would have made sense over Broad.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
A bit dissapointed we have dropped Burns, but tactically can understand it with 4 right handers at the top of the order now.

If it does something for the seamers...Jimmy, Broad and Jofra!

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Seeing as Archer has shown all the batting capabilities of dead cert tailender, I'm not loving the depth to this England batting line up. Woakes would have made sense over Broad.
yeah im not quite sure how Archer bats above leach and broad to be honest but there you go

JohnnyKills

Great achievement by Ishant btw.

I reckon he's about on par with Broad as a bowler. If he was English he'd have 100 wickets more.

Dan_F

That tail looks like a very traditional English tail.

Also. Great start for England :rolleyes:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Don’t worry lads just part of our master plan to make sure we are bowling under the lights later :lol:

JohnnyKills

Time for a counter-attacking hundred by Bairstow or Stokes.

Calling this very early but this looks a 250-300 wicket here. Looks like it's got everything the bowlers need.

KM

Okay quite horrible over rate by us. 5 overs in 25 mins