England in India 2021

BR7

I watch an abnormal amount of cricket & have done for the last 2 decades and I can't remember a series in the last 10 years where so many 3rd umpire decisions have been made looking at 1-2 angles. Makes no sense at all . Rohit had another close stumping in the second test just before the Rahane mare where the umpire gave it not out quickly looking at one angle . He literally has one job and making the decisions fast for whatever reason is not his job
Gotta love a bit of cricket. Yeah it’s been very strange the jinxy decision was simply errr ???!!!!

AshRK

I still don't get why do we need multiple replays if the first one is conclusive. The leach dismissal was not conclusive hence multiple replays but Stokes' catch was a clear bounce and rohit's foot was clearly on ground when the flash lights came on, so why do the umpires need to show 3 more replays to prove he is making the correct decision.

Feel a lot of moaning is for the sake of it now.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
To be fair I can see why people want multiple angles, how many times have we seen replays and we’ve needed one angle to confirm when all the others looked out, it definitely happens.

If the only angle we’d seen of the Leach dismissal was the rear view which looks like he’s hardly got his hands on the ball then questions would be asked, the other angles clear it up nicely.

still think the decisions were correct but this is top level sport

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Rohit's foot was clearly on the ground when the lights came on is definitely not correct . His foot lifted momentarily and a stump view just shows you the exact point of contact & exact position of foot . No one is asking him to check every angle on every decision but it's silly to suggest that Rohit decision was conclusive on the evidence seen

BR7

I still don't get why do we need multiple replays if the first one is conclusive. The leach dismissal was not conclusive hence multiple replays but Stokes' catch was a clear bounce and rohit's foot was clearly on ground when the flash lights came on, so why do the umpires need to show 3 more replays to prove he is making the correct decision.

Feel a lot of moaning is for the sake of it now.
If the rahane decision went against India, the Indian fans would be just as annoyed and rightly so. We all knew what the appeal was for, dumbass third umpire has one job to do and can’t get it right. So you can understand why people are now wanting the third umpires to check every angle and you’d think after the rahane debacle (we’ll call it) they would. Seems not though instead after the rahane incident you refer to it as moaning. Cmon Ash, this is top class sport not a Saturday amateur league match

zing

Zingle balls
Rohit's foot was clearly on the ground when the lights came on is definitely not correct . His foot lifted momentarily and a stump view just shows you the exact point of contact & exact position of foot . No one is asking him to check every angle on every decision but it's silly to suggest that Rohit decision was conclusive on the evidence seen
Agreed. I think the umpiring from 2nd test feels like the BCCI had something to do with it

AshRK

If the rahane decision went against India, the Indian fans would be just as annoyed and rightly so. We all knew what the appeal was for, dumbass third umpire has one job to do and can’t get it right. So you can understand why people are now wanting the third umpires to check every angle and you’d think after the rahane debacle (we’ll call it) they would. Seems not though instead after the rahane incident you refer to it as moaning. Cmon Ash, this is top class sport not a Saturday amateur league match

Well how much more conclusive you want? Yeah maybe play more replays but still it looks grounded and not out. Same with stokes catch. Replays won't have changed the decision.

If England fans are pissed about umpire calls well that was always there even before the series started. Kohli was hard done by it during our sf clash against NZ. These iffy decisions happen but seems there is not enough discussion on how England should improve their skills and learn to play spin better.

First pitch, then umpires now lack of replays. What next? Crowd? Weather? Modi?

zing

Zingle balls
Changing topics for a moment - India batted excellently.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

Well how much more conclusive you want? Yeah maybe play more replays but still it looks grounded and not out. Same with stokes catch. Replays won't have changed the decision.

If England fans are pissed about umpire calls well that was always there even before the series started. Kohli was hard done by it during our sf clash against NZ. These iffy decisions happen but seems there is not enough discussion on how England should improve their skills and learn to play spin better.

Ridiculous post mate, c'mon. Largely good discussion in here from both sides.

People on both sides have highlighted the issue. Both decisions highly likely to be correct, but there was no need for any contention.

BR7

But you sidestepped the rahane issue, what do you call that? What if the third umpire is proven to be completely wrong next time? Why take the risk after the clanger in the last test? Ah well, the umpires are so suspect we’ll have plenty more to talk about in the coming days ;-)

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
But you sidestepped the rahane issue, what do you call that? What if the third umpire is proven to be completely wrong next time? Why take the risk after the clanger in the last test? Ah well, the umpires are so suspect we’ll have plenty more to talk about in the coming days ;-)
There's also not much to talk about England performance wise as we have been absolutely useless for about 9 days in a row in this series.

BR7

There's also not much to talk about England performance wise as we have been absolutely useless for about 9 days in a row in this series.
I’ve been watching test cricket for a while, I’ve seen England play worst sadly for a 10 year period

one home ashes series England had three different captains

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Using a picture to check stumping is 1995 . How can you actually look at the pic and say when exactly the lights went off ?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Changing topics for a moment - India batted excellently.

I think the application from India in the last two matches has been incredible. No one has given their wicket away cheaply . That was tough wicket and could easily have been 100/5

AshRK

I don't know what rahane's issue has got to do with the two issues on point. Rahane should have been out and umpire messed it up, today the umpire did not mess anything up. Had they given leach out without multiple replays then I would have understood the uproar but they had multiple replays before giving him out. Stokes catch was clear from the couple of replays that the ball hit the ground. Multiple replays wouldn't have changed a thing. Similarly rohit's foot was on the ground when the flash lights came. Multiple replays wouldn't have changed that. Was it a close call, at the first look yes but then his foot was grounded so the question of doubt was no longer there.

I understand england fans are frustrated but some of the comments here, especially from one particular poster makes it feel like england are in this position because of these calls.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I've watched that once and that's an easy not out. Probably helps to keep your mind clear when you're not desperate to make excuses.

Well the fact that you have said that definitely makes me convinced that it's out . Now I am even more annoyed

AshRK

I don't think this England side is as bad as the scoreline suggests. Lack of application by some of their batters was shocking to see. It seems there was lack of belief in their camp. Also, not having 2 spinners in a subcontinent track is a baffling decision, especially when you have stokes as your other seamer. England may very well make a comeback but most likely they have blown away the chance of winning a series in India.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I've watched that once and that's an easy not out. Probably helps to keep your mind clear when you're not desperate to make excuses.
I think it's not out.

But there's no way i'm positive after watching that about 10 times.

Just check one more angle?

Clears any confusion and we can all crack on.

Do all England fans have to put a disclaimer after very post acknowledging that we are getting thrashed anyway? Pretty tedious.

BR7

I don't know what rahane's issue has got to do with the two issues on point. Rahane should have been out and umpire messed it up, today the umpire did not mess anything up. Had they given leach out without multiple replays then I would have understood the uproar but they had multiple replays before giving him out. Stokes catch was clear from the couple of replays that the ball hit the ground. Multiple replays wouldn't have changed a thing. Similarly rohit's foot was on the ground when the flash lights came. Multiple replays wouldn't have changed that. Was it a close call, at the first look yes but then his foot was grounded so the question of doubt was no longer there.

I understand england fans are frustrated but some of the comments here, especially from one particular poster makes it feel like england are in this position because of these calls.
The reason why England are in this position is purely because of terrible batting on an iffy pitch but both teams have to bat and bowl on it so that’s not an issue and India bowled pretty well.

the issue for me is solely that the decisions are being reviewed and assessed so quickly after the rahane incident. They should make sure the decision is correct. The stumping was not conclusive at the point of review completion and if the umpire got it wrong then what? It’s not moaning at all if such a terrible call is made in the last test. It’s saying don’t make another bad mistake like that again. You should be supporting this if it’s happened to kohli as well. We need to end this level of umpire incompetence when you have this much technology available to you and this is your job. The third umpire in the last test should never ever be allowed the international scene again.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Bowler foot landing area? Although they might have a case there. Umpire decision burned us in Australian tour and we got one in favour and one against today

Lack of replays for a correct decision is certainly the most bizarre thing to moan about.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Bowler foot landing area? Although they might have a case there. Umpire decision burned us in Australian tour and we got one in favour and one against today

Lack of replays for a correct decision is certainly the most bizarre thing to moan about.

Correct decision how ? We genuinely didn't get any other replays of the stumping. What's even worse is that the host broadcaster is so bad that they don't even talk about it and didn't even bother to show the stump cam later on .

NinjaFletch

Correct decision how ? We genuinely didn't get any other replays of the stumping. What's even worse is that the host broadcaster is so bad that they don't even talk about it and didn't even bother to show the stump cam later on .
Yeah @zing is going to accuse me of being George Dobell again, but I thought the point he made on Polite Enquiries was absolutely fair enough.

Both those decisions today might have been correct. Stokes one probably was and the Rohit one I think is genuinely inconclusive from that evidence above so if you think that's not enough to give out then fine carry on. But, in the same day, we saw 4 different replays of the Pujara catch until the third umpire found the stump cam angle which showed it had carried. And in the last test Kohli was clean bowled and it was confirmed with an umpires review.

I really don't mind any of those things (the Kohli one I think it's completely reasonable to check Foakes's gloves haven't knocked the bails off) and in both cases we got the correct decision, but we have seen the third umpire rush decisions and get them wrong this series.

If you're all utterly convinced the third umpire got those decisions correct today then I'm not going to argue it, but I can't see how it hurts anyone to double check all the evidence for both sides and ensure that is the case – if nothing else with the way England are playing it might make the game last in to day 3 at least.

Also, one point I haven't largely nicked, but I don't really understand the arguement for not having neutral umpires. 50,000 fans in attendance and the Indian team schmoozing with politicians before the days play is fine, but flying in three blokes one of whom will be sitting in a room on his own is an unacceptable covid risk? Seems odd to me.

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeah @zing is going to accuse me of being George Dobell again, but I thought the point he made on Polite Enquiries was absolutely fair enough.

Both those decisions today might have been correct. Stokes one probably was and the Rohit one I think is genuinely inconclusive from that evidence above so if you think that's not enough to give out then fine carry on. But, in the same day, we saw 4 different replays of the Pujara catch until the third umpire found the stump cam angle which showed it had carried. And in the last test Kohli was clean bowled and it was confirmed with an umpires review.

I really don't mind any of those things (the Kohli one I think it's completely reasonable to check Foakes's gloves haven't knocked the bails off) and in both cases we got the correct decision, but we have seen the third umpire rush decisions and get them wrong this series.

If you're all utterly convinced the third umpire got those decisions correct today then I'm not going to argue it, but I can't see how it hurts anyone to double check all the evidence for both sides and ensure that is the case – if nothing else with the way England are playing it might make the game last in to day 3 at least.
You've put that far better than I did.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

For those who understand Hindi this is an analysis of the days play . These guys definitely don't support England and they analyse the umpires from minute 10 to 13 and it is absolutely bang on

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
It did cross my mind last night with how England were talking about the pink ball before the test that they might get a bit carried away with what the balls were doing in practice. They have batted really poorly since the 1st innings of the first test and even then they were dependant on Joe Root being in the form of his life. I guess it's not massively surprising considering that they once conspired to let Roston Chase take an 8'fer but I do think they are far better playing spin than they are showing.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It did cross my mind last night with how England were talking about the pink ball before the test that they might get a bit carried away with what the balls were doing in practice. They have batted really poorly since the 1st innings of the first test and even then they were dependant on Joe Root being in the form of his life. I guess it's not massively surprising considering that they once conspired to let Roston Chase take an 8'fer but I do think they are far better playing spin than they are showing.
Tbh I think the Sri Lanka series & first test kind of gave a wrong impression about this batting lineup . Bar Joe Root this team is hopeless against spin and the rotations plus Crawley getting injured hasn't helped. Biggest issue for me is that Stokes is generally our second most reliable batsman but he is very poor in the subcontinent. I just don't see how they will get any better over the next 3 innings

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Tbh I think the Sri Lanka series & first test kind of gave a wrong impression about this batting lineup . Bar Joe Root this team is hopeless against spin and the rotations plus Crawley getting injured hasn't helped. Biggest issue for me is that Stokes is generally our second most reliable batsman but he is very poor in the subcontinent. I just don't see how they will get any better over the next 3 innings
It's notable that no England batsman so far this winter has a 100 outside of Root. Since the first test in India, through a mixture of the pitches they've played on and the pace Axar bowls at they have been forced to shelve the sweep shot. It feels like their whole game plan revolved around sweeping and rotating the strike, without it they are stuck. With all the shots Stokes has in his repertoire I would expect him to be far more aggressive in his approach, he's useless against spin when he waits for the game to come to him.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It's notable that no England batsman so far this winter has a 100 outside of Root. Since the first test in India, through a mixture of the pitches they've played on and the pace Axar bowls at they have been forced to shelve the sweep shot. It feels like their whole game plan revolved around sweeping and rotating the strike, without it they are stuck. With all the shots Stokes has in his repertoire I would expect him to be far more aggressive in his approach, he's useless against spin when he waits for the game to come to him.
Problem is that he is batting at 5 and coming in at 3 down below 100 every game with the spinners on top . It's hard to get on top of them at that point

iKnowNothing

I didn’t watch the days play but for all the umpiring talk, have the TV channels showed any replay where that looked out? I keep reading that the umpire looked at only one angle but have the broadcasters showed the viewers additional angles that are triggering this discussion?

slyadams

I’ve only now seen that video of the stumping and its inconclusive at best. Firstly the frames before show his foot up and then after shows his toes compressing. The way the foot is mobbing makes it look like it’s in the air too. At the time the bails came off it looks to me like his foot might be in the guard marks. For sure this needed another angle.

prateik

I’ve only now seen that video of the stumping and its inconclusive at best. Firstly the frames before show his foot up and then after shows his toes compressing. The way the foot is mobbing makes it look like it’s in the air too. At the time the bails came off it looks to me like his foot might be in the guard marks. For sure this needed another angle.
Frame before the bails went off.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Seriously ? Keep posting still images of a moving event to prove anything. On the video like with most stumping calls his foot lifts for a small moment , the whole decision is about whether the bails went off at that time or not. This is 1995 though so the umpire doesn't believe in zoom or stump cam

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Stokes one was quite clearly not out and Stokes should be quite ashamed of claiming that catch.

YAMS49

Seriously ? Keep posting still images of a moving event to prove anything. On the video like with most stumping calls his foot lifts for a small moment , the whole decision is about whether the bails went off at that time or not. This is 1995 though so the umpire doesn't believe in zoom or stump cam
Hilarious isn't it. Just use all the evidence you can, like every other Test nation does. It smacks of unprofessionalism.