England Players called 'Overpaid Nonces' on BBC News

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Hasn't this woman just called the England squad a bunch of pedophiles? :nervous:

Hope this word doesn't become even more commonly used, surely she didn't know what it means?

AndyJ1985

My ex-girlfriend used to call people nonces as a sort of casual insult, you know, like wally or plonker, until I eventually informed her that the word is used to call someone a paedophile. She was horrified.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
She obviously meant ponces with the hair comment but not a good thing to come out with.

Shark

@NotShark
Can't imagine this will end well for her, all well and good slagging off the team lightly but Jesus!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
She's the dumbass that was arguing with the guy on sky news about the attack in Orlando not being an attack on the LGBT community.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I think it's quite clear what she meant:

In cryptography, a nonce is an arbitrary number that may only be used once. It is similar in spirit to a nonce word, hence the name. It is often a random or pseudo-random number issued in an authentication protocol to ensure that old communications cannot be reused in replay attacks.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
What is the going rate for a nonce?

pascell

When I was growing up, the term 'nonce' was used to describe someone who was perceived as stuck up, cared too much about their appearance or a bit of a soft arse. I think she's using the word in that context, not calling the squad a bunch of overpaid pedophiles.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
No paedophile or rape jokes before anyone thinks of posting one. Should go without saying really but have to post it as I know what some are like.

AndyJ1985

When I was growing up, the term 'nonce' was used to describe someone who was perceived as stuck up, cared too much about their appearance or a bit of a soft arse. I think she's using the word in that context, not calling the squad a bunch of overpaid pedophiles.
In that case it's the perfect word to describe Arsenal.

Shark

@NotShark
Regardless of what she meant, it's very very stupid of her to come out with that on BBC news.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I had no idea nonce meant that, I've been using that for months. Oh well

sugar_kane

My ex-girlfriend used to call people nonces as a sort of casual insult, you know, like wally or plonker, until I eventually informed her that the word is used to call someone a paedophile. She was horrified.
My girlfriend was the exact same until recently.

Maybe this reporter has inside info though, it would be in keeping with recent news for our country if our national football team turned out to not only be crap but a squad of raging paedos.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

So many people misuse that word.

I have corrected quite a few friends who refused to believe that they were calling the lecturer a pedophile.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
No paedophile or rape jokes before anyone thinks of posting one. Should go without saying really but have to post it as I know what some are like.
Gotta love soapbox projectionism.

I also reckon she was going for a colloquial 'ponce'.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
NONCE stands for 'Not On Normal Courtyard Exercise' and is used as an official acronym for offenders who are at severe risk of recriminations from other prisoners. It doesn't always mean sex offenders, but the majority of people with the tag NONCE are.

SparkedIntoLife

Wow, clumsy. It's obvious she meant ponce (in the wimp sense, not the homosexual connotation) though. Shouldn't go further than a bollocking and a public apology, in my view.

Crimson King

Around my way we used to use Ponce to describe someone as a bit of wimp, or lacked a bit of spine. Was meant to shame them into pulling their act together.

Nonce was a far more cutting insult, for obvious reasons.