Shaw (is there another option?)

Rice
Bellingham

Saka
Foden
Sterling

Kane

Trequarista10

The problem with a back 3 is the lack of options for LCB. There may be a few players who could do a job there, but Southgate has wasted opportunities to test it. Maguire must not play. Could White or Stones play left of a 3? Possibly, but we won't know until its tested. Another issue is the lack of a deep lying playmaker.

I’ve said it a few times but Kane needs pace either side of him. This is because he likes to come deep like a false 9 so it’s important there’s runners in each channel he can link up with.

Foden or any of the other number 10 types shouldn’t be in these wide areas.

The set up should be 4-3-3 and for certain games the central one of the midfield 3 should be a 10 like Foden.
Agree with this. I'd go:

Sterling - Kane - Saka
Mount - Rice - Jude​

We always look more dangerous with pace. We don't have the technical or tactical skill to dominate possession against top sides or to pass teams to death.

Rashford, Foden, Grealish, Phillips, JWP, TAA as options off the bench.

Pintu

Why is nobody picking Sancho?

He is the only reason to consider supporting England in this World Cup.

Borussia Teeth

Considering injuries and some players not getting games at their clubs:

Pickford

Shaw
Tomori
Dier (Stones and Maguire aren't getting games)
Trent (Trippier is also shit at defending and the others are injured)

Rice

Bellingham
Foden

Sterling
Kane
Saka

Bwuk

Pretty rubbish defence.

Not what he’ll pick but with who’s fit I’d personally go with…

Ramsdale
Walker - Tomori - White - Shaw
Rice - Bellingham
Foden
Saka - Kane - Rashford​

ROFLUTION

I’ve mainly seen Tomori on the big stage and he has personal errors in him by the small sample size I have seen. How come so many are picking him in their XI? Has he done well for England?

Bwuk

I’ve mainly seen Tomori on the big stage and he has personal errors in him by the small sample size I have seen. How come so many are picking him in their XI? Has he done well for England?
Maguire & Stones haven’t been playing and there’s no real stand out options.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Pickford
Trippier Tarkowski Rice Shaw
Sterling Gallagher Phillips Grealish
Maddison
Kane

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I see a lot of people putting 4 defenders systems.
What makes you think Southgate will abandon the 3 CB system?

DevTheRed

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire
Trippier Bellingham Rice Shaw
Foden Kane Rashford

What I’d like to see;
Pickford
Trippier Tomori Stones Shaw
Rice
Bellingham Foden
Saka Kane Rashford​

Swiss_Red89

Seen a few with Rashford in the first eleven. Will he even be on the plane?

Wouldn't surprise me if Southgate leaves him at home and picks Bowen instead.

BlackShark_80

Without James and Walker:
Pickford
White Stones Tomori
Trippier Bellingham Rice Chilwell
Saka Kane Sterling

or
Pickford
Trippier Stones Tomori Chilwell
Bellingham Rice
Saka Maddison Sterling
Kane

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think that Southgate was at our game to have a look at Coady/Tarkowski. Both have been amazing this season. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both were called up.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Think the thread is what would you pick and a lot of people would go with a back 4.
Fair enough. It would be the logical choice, I agree. I don't think the center backs are that good to justify using 3 of them.

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
His 55 may be secret, my 26 are not!

3 Goalkeepers (Pope, Pickford, Ramsdale)
4 Centerbacks (Tomori, Stones, White, Dier)
4 Wingbacks (Chillwell, Mitchell, Walker, Alexander)
7 Midfielders (Bellingham, Rice, Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Foden, Mount, Maddison)
6 Wingers (Saka, Sterling, Grealish, Rashford, Sancho, Bowen)
2 Strikers (Kane, Abraham).

Easy to see them making it through group stage with 5 points and miss silverware by the slightest of margins when they butcher their quarterfinal 0-2 against Switzerland (best scorer: Kane with 3).
Equally easy to see them dominate all sides at leasure and win the whole thing in style (best scorer: Saka with 6).

Chairman Steve

I can see Southgate defaulting to Maguire and a firestorm of criticism from England fans for doing that, with the English media on the Maguire defensive and guilting people about raising such concerns.

chris123

I see a lot of people putting 4 defenders systems.
What makes you think Southgate will abandon the 3 CB system?
I also think it's going to be very difficult for Southgate to justify leaving Saka out of his squad. He's better and more polished than he was at the time of the Euros, and he was already starting then when Southgate opted for the 4-2-3-1. I think considering our group, he will at least use that system against the weaker opponents.

Walker White/Tomori/Dier + Stones Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Sterling
Kane

... is a genuinely balanced team. So watch him replace out Saka, for Eric Dier and play a back 5.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I also think it's going to be very difficult for Southgate to justify leaving Saka out of his squad. He's better and more polished than he was at the time of the Euros, and he was already starting then when Southgate opted for the 4-2-3-1. I think considering our group, he will at least use that system against the weaker opponents.

Walker White/Tomori/Dier + Stones Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Sterling
Kane

... is a genuinely balanced team. So watch him replace out Saka, for Eric Dier and play a back 5.
To aggravate the situation, the prep time for the World Cup for UEFA national teams is very low, so really no time to implement new ideas. I think the 4x2x3x1 is the most sensible choice looking at the english talent pool at disposal.

You guys still have a better chance to get a good cup run under Southgate than us with Santos, though.

Lee565

_________pickford
____Walker_stones_burn
Trippier_rice_bellingham_shaw
___________foden
________kane__sterling

If stones does not feature for city in the next few weeks but Maguire does for united then would swap Maguire for stones.

Kag

Pickford
Trippier Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Saka Mount Foden
Kane

I’d go with something like that. I’m not a huge fan of Mount, but he’s a worker and likely to bring some balance to that midfield. Grealish, Sterling and Rashford could come in for any of the trio behind Kane.

If James were fit then I’d play him at right back. As he isn’t, then Trippier is the stand out choice on current form.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
_________pickford
____Walker_stones_burn
Trippier_rice_bellingham_shaw
___________foden
________kane__sterling

If stones does not feature for city in the next few weeks but Maguire does for united then would swap Maguire for stones.
Who?

Davicho

Pickford

Trippier
Stones
Dier
Shaw

Henderson/Rice
Bellingham
Foden

Saka
Kane
Sterling

That would be my team. Not a fan of Dier and Henderson/Rice but could not find better options

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Pickford

Trippier

Stones
Dier
Tomori

Shaw

Rice
Bellingham

Saka
Kane
Foden

---

Pretty underwhelming really. I've gone 3 at the back which it feels like most are against for a couple of reasons, first off our CB options are shite and I think we could need 3 of them to be able to defend well. Second of all I think Trippier and Shaw are going to be really important in terms of progressing the ball up the pitch and we need to get them further forward if we can which we should be able to do as WBs.

Don't know how I feel about Bellingham in a midfield two yet, but really him and Rice are the only options as starters. Not sure whether the front three has enough goals in it/is clinical enough either and could do with a wide forward who's first thought is running in behind as Kane will probably continue to drop into midfield, but not sure who that'd be with Sterling so out of form. Saka and Foden are two of our brightest prospects, both playing well in in-form teams so should start for me.

diarm

I'd pick:
Pope
Trippier Tomori Stones Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Rashford
Kane
That's too adventurous for Southgate though. If he picked Bellingham, Foden and Saka, who would protect his 5 defenders?
He'll probably pick:
Pickford
Trippier Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Dier
Mount
Kane Sterling

NoPace

Fair enough. It would be the logical choice, I agree. I don't think the center backs are that good to justify using 3 of them.
I wrote a whole thing that got deleted, but basically ended up coming to the conclusion that Walker not being England's clear best defender anymore and England's lack of midfield options doesn't suggest 3 at the back so they probably need to just go 4-3-3 and hope Mount or Phillips can be the 3rd man in midfield with Rice and Bellingham:

LW----------Kane-------Saka
--Bellingham-Mount/Phillips
-----------------Rice--------------
Shaw--CB---CB------Trippier
------Pickford/Ramsdale---

I'm not even really a Mount fan but I think he's the best option around in terms of balance and form.

I have no idea who I would pick at CB. Don't think I would go with Maguire. Stones is probably the most logical starter, but there's not really a well suited partner for him on the left apart from Smalling, who hasn't played a ton for England. Guehi-Stones looks a little lightweight, though Rice in front of them help with the heading. I don't think the guy who picked Burn is crazy. He's tall, left footed, can pass and hasn't had much trouble at LB in space against wingers, so he might suit whoever plays on the right like Stones or Tomori.

LW would depend on the opponent mostly, which Southgate actually did well with at the Euros like using Sancho in that knockout match where England had the ball but otherwise not starting him. Tough to argue with that in hindsight.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pickford

Trippier
Stones
White
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham
Foden (number 10)

Saka RW
Kane CF
Rashford LW

That’s the most balanced team.

I also feel Foden isn’t quick enough to play wide and is best used as a 10. Additionally Kane is better with pace either side of him. Both Saka and Rashford provide that and a goal threat cutting in.

Id be open to changing the CB’s but everything else would be a lock. I would also be taking Maddison and Eze if it were my squad.

Lecland07

I think Chalobah should be taken - he has been good for Chelsea recently. I don't see any England CB as actually being better at this time. It is not like we have outstanding player there, really.

Pickford

Shaw
Stones
Chalobah/Tomori
White - I would choose white for RB to continue the relationship between him and Saka

Bellingham
Rice
Maddison

Rashford - replicate the Son/Kane relationship but with Rashford.
Kane
Saka

Unfortunately, none of this will happen - we will get 7 defensive players.

PoTMS

Pickford
Trippier Stones Maguire Shaw
Bellingham Rice
Saka Foden Rashford
Kane​

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Neither Stones or Maguire can get into their club teams don't think it's a good idea starting with either.

RopersReturn

What ever the line-up, it’s fairly certain Southgate will pick the players regardless of club form. It’s almost certain he’ll stick with Sterling and Kane up front and a back 3 of Stones, Maguire and Walker.

Northstand

Didn’t see any of Everton-Leicester but I see Maddison credited with two more assists. Surely he makes the squad now, and knocking on the door for selection in the team?