England Tour of India

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Whilst beating India in India is tough also fair to mention that we've had a ridiculous amount of injuries. i haven't seen a weaker indian test batting line-up ever.

Infact the reason for this relatively flat pitches and not turners is probably due to our batting line-up.
In this particular test match it's vulnerable sure with the inexperienced players but it was only last week we were all complimenting how India had Axar coming in at 9 and how strong it was!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I don't think England do want to be the best test side in the world which does annoy me slightly. That would be an added bonus to them.

Hence days like today. And loads of teams would succumb to India like that, I disagree with that part. Even on a relatively flat deck (it is turning and reversing, but it's a 400 minimum pitch for sure).
I'm pretty sure Stokes has spoken about wanting to be the best test nation a few times and I'm not sure any of the top test teams would succumb like that.

Batting 70 overs on this is pretty laughable and you're probably fuming as a bowler after having to graft through India's first innings, especially with the uncharacteristically poor fielding from England.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
In this particular test match it's vulnerable sure with the inexperienced players but it was only last week we were all complimenting how India had Axar coming in at 9 and how strong it was!
I said it last week too it's the weakest indian batting line up I've seen seen ever.

Usually used to seeing much more experience in the middle order. Virat missing first full series in 13yrs doesn't help also.

KM

Yashasvi really playing well defensively. That's not his usual game.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'm pretty sure Stokes has spoken about wanting to be the best test nation a few times and I'm not sure any of the top test teams would succumb like that.

Batting 70 overs on this is pretty laughable and you're probably fuming as a bowler after having to graft through India's first innings, especially with the uncharacteristically poor fielding from England.
I've laboured my argument enough I think so all good.

Let's hope we get another chase that leaves a miracle possible.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I said it last week too it's the weakest indian batting line up I've seen seen ever.

Usually used to seeing much more experience in the middle order. Virat missing first full series in 13yrs doesn't help also.
Your call. Calling it weakest ever seems strong to me when 2/3 of these younger lads could end up being Don Bradman for all I know.

Anyway I'm not arguing England didn't have a real chance here, they did! I just took issue with the throwing it away/bottle job angle but I'll leave that particular rambling on there for now.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Jimmy defo queitly fuming he only ever gets two sessions rest.

I don't know how we got away with that in the Ashes and even Pakistan last winter.
Woakes and Wood carried our bowling in the Ashes with golden spells from Broad. Helps that we have way more options in home conditions.

It's bloody tough to demand here though.

KM

Your call. Calling it weakest ever seems strong to me when 2/3 of these younger lads could end up being Don Bradman for all I know.

Anyway I'm not arguing England didn't have a real chance here, they did! I just took issue with the throwing it away/bottle job angle but I'll leave that particular rambling on there for now.
By that token can't call this England spinning attack weak and inexperienced as they might end up being Shane Warne.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
As has been traditional in this test series so far - I now can't see how England win the test from here so will head out for a Saturday session.

I look forward to somehow thinking we can win it again come Sunday afternoon.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
By that token can't call this England spinning attack weak and inexperienced as they might end up being Shane Warne.
Check out the England spinners red ball first class records / A tour experience in comparison if you like ;).

Also playing away. Alien conditions etc.

Anyway - pint!

KM

Joel Wilson is one of the worst umpires.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Root’s been all over the place since the World Cup. I don’t mind the shot but I think situationally, with how he’s played and how Bumrah’s played and with how India are down a bowler, there’s no need for that. Just play it out and apply pressure elsewhere. The middle order has really let England down this series.

ArmchairCritic

Whilst beating India in India is tough also fair to mention that we've had a ridiculous amount of injuries. i haven't seen a weaker indian test batting line-up ever.

Infact the reason for this relatively flat pitches and not turners is probably due to our batting line-up.
To be fair that’s because you’ve always had 3 all timers in the team for most of my life. I think the first class record of the guys you do have stack up pretty well, I’d love for England to be able call up someone like Sarfraz as like 3rd choice.

ArmchairCritic

Jonathan has nailed my thoughts.

There’s is a definite lack of ruthlessness to how England play. The first 2 tests of the Ashes and this one. They’ve done the hard bit, now just play it smart. I don’t think it’s something that cannot be incorporated within their style of play, because if there’s one thing I’ll always associate with Stokes it’s being smart and playing the situation correctly.

KM

To be fair that’s because you’ve always had 3 all timers in the team for most of my life. I think the first class record of the guys you do have stack up pretty well, I’d love for England to be able call up someone like Sarfraz as like 3rd choice.
This is a myth.

Patidar and Jurel have got averages of 45 and 46 in first class which are more like 32/33 equivalent given flat pitches in Ranji Trophy.

ColvaleGoa

Bairstow is essentially playing as a sub fielder. Can't bowl, can't bat.

That's a position I didn't knew existed.

Anyway good to wake up and see India batting again. I expected England to get some sort of lead. Let's hope The batsman now bat England out of the test.

ArmchairCritic

This is a myth.

Patidar and Jurel have got averages of 45 and 46 in first class which are more like 32/33 equivalent given flat pitches in Ranji Trophy.
How would you describe the pitches in this series?

Also this is England’s current set of spinners last season in the county championship:

Hartley - 19 wickets @ 45
Ahmed - 8 wickets @ 66
Bashir - 10 wickets @ 67

Surely these guys won’t get a better chance to crack test cricket than this?

There’s no denying India are weaker than they’ve been for a while at home but the bowling attack is still much better than England’s. England’s middle order hasn’t turned up whilst India’s has gone through a lot of churn, both teams have ridden on the back of top order runs but India’s more experienced attack means they’ll always have too much for England here.

If Kohli and Rahul were playing I think England would get battered but to be fair to them they have a real knack of sticking around when you don’t expect it and throwing away great positions when you expect them to drive the position of strength home.

It’s a shame both teams aren’t at full strength, Leach and Brook are big misses for England too.

Dan_F

I woke up at 6am, saw the score and went back to sleep. What went wrong, was it shot selection and giving away wickets or good bowling?

Even under extreme Bazball conditions, 8 wickets for 100 runs is bad.

KM

How would you describe the pitches in this series?

Also this is England’s current set of spinners last season in the county championship:

Hartley - 19 wickets @ 45
Ahmed - 8 wickets @ 66
Bashir - 10 wickets @ 67

Surely these guys won’t get a better chance to crack test cricket than this?

There’s no denying India are weaker than they’ve been for a while at home but the bowling attack is still much better than England’s. England’s middle order hasn’t turned up whilst India’s has gone through a lot of churn, both teams have ridden on the back of top order runs but India’s more experienced attack means they’ll always have too much for England here.

If Kohli and Rahul were playing I think England would get battered but to be fair to them they have a real knack of sticking around when you don’t expect it and throwing away great positions when you expect them to drive the position of strength home.

It’s a shame both teams aren’t at full strength, Leach and Brook are big misses for England too.
Thing is that no one is discounting that England have a weak spin attack whilst it seems that calling this indian middle order weak and inexperienced is taken an issue at.

It seems to be a weird coping mechanism and portray that there's a big chasm between two teams whilst it certainly isn't the case given India's weak middle order and the pitch which is amongst the fairest I've seen for a visitor team in the last six seven years.

zing

Zingle balls
It’s pretty incredible that Jaiswal has only 21 FC games behind him..

ArmchairCritic

Thing is that no one is discounting that England have a weak spin attack whilst it seems that calling this indian middle order weak and inexperienced is taken an issue at.

It seems to be a weird coping mechanism and portray that there's a big chasm between two teams whilst it certainly isn't the case given India's weak middle order and the pitch which is amongst the fairest I've seen for a visitor team in the last six seven years.
No one is arguing the middle order is inexperienced but I’ll argue it’s weak. Jadeja averages 131 through 13 games at this venue and you completely made up a correction factor for the 2 guys you called weak.

No one’s portraying a big chasm either. It’s a lot closer than usual for sure but I still think even with all the injuries and drop outs India are still favourites in India.

England have absolutely missed their window in this test with Ashwin out.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
England have definitely chucked this one away. The team still has a collapse in them; did the same thing in the Ashes 2nd test

ArmchairCritic

England have definitely chucked this one away. The team still has a collapse in them; did the same thing in the Ashes 2nd test
I can’t decide if it’s a result of how this team operate or if it’s just English cricket heritage.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
England’s biggest problem with the bat is that they are unable to milk when on top, that is a massive thing in test cricket but this team just can’t do it.

ArmchairCritic

England’s biggest problem with the bat is that they are unable to milk when on top, that is a massive thing in test cricket but this team just can’t do it.
The most frustrating aspect of this is Bazball opens up opportunities to do this more than usual. All they had to do today was bat 90 overs.

Root was the best milker in ODI cricket a few year back too.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The most frustrating aspect of this is Bazball opens up opportunities to do this more than usual. All they had to do today was bat 90 overs.

Root was the best milker in ODI cricket a few year back too.
Yeah but like I said yesterday this has happened multiple times in the last year where they have wasted great starts by just collapsing rather than calming down a bit. Stokes was playing the perfect innings but these guys get bored very quickly

ArmchairCritic

Yeah but like I said yesterday this has happened multiple times in the last year where they have wasted great starts by just collapsing rather than calming down a bit. Stokes was playing the perfect innings but these guys get bored very quickly
Root/Duckett/Stokes dismissals were all bad. Watching India bat now and seeing few demons in the pitch just makes it even more frustrating.

Trequarista10

Yeah. I think the middle order feed off 'backs against the wall' situations.

Extremely disappointing today and this series. We've spent years saying how hard it is for Root and Bairstow to be coning in at 20-2 or 50-3 and how much easier it'd be for them if they had a platform to build on, but now they get the platform and don't capitalise.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Just popped online to check the score. I think we can safely stick a fork in this one.