England Tour of India

zing

Zingle balls
Yeah if India win will be posts about England throwing it away when in reality its likely just the better team pulling through. It's why you're so hard to beat at home.
Probably not enough, but Ashwin/Jadeja/Axar/Yadav + Bumrah is a heck of a tough nut to crack. No shame in it.
I don't think this game is over yet, but I fancy us if it's a sub 220 chase.

I think in both this test and the last, India have been shown a small opening and just punched their way through it. England have been brilliant, but it's just that you have to bring that level every day and that's pretty tough to do for an away team.

This is anyway not over.. another 40 here might swing it.

Fts 74

It's not over yet, india still have to get the runs, but their superior spinners are bowling brilliantly tbf.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I don't think this game is over yet, but I fancy us if it's a sub 220 chase.

I think in both this test and the last, India have been shown a small opening and just punched their way through it. England have been brilliant, but it's just that you have to bring that level every day and that's pretty tough to do for an away team.

This is anyway not over.. another 40 here might swing it.
Yep, it’s been a far more competitive series than I expected bar the last 2 days of the 3rd test. England have been helped by India’s absences of course but still a good effort.

JohnnyKills

England's bowlers will have to pull off their best performance of the last few years to win here. Can't even think of a time we've defended a lead of sub 200 in the 4th innings. Always seems like we only win chasing.
We've got to change the momentum somehow. Just prodding and poking is going to do nothing, other than tiring the pitch out for a few overs.

Still think we've got a big chance. Feel like picking Robinson rather than a quicker seamer might come back to haunt us though.

Fts 74

Classic test cricket, one bad session can potentially cost you the match after playing so well.

ArmchairCritic

Foakes needs to swing a bit more as I'm not sure he/Bashir can survive just defending
The field is all out for ball 1-4, he’s not a power player so his best option is to pick gaps and run 2 I think.

Trequarista10

England's bowlers will have to pull off their best performance of the last few years to win here. Can't even think of a time we've defended a lead of sub 200 in the 4th innings. Always seems like we only win chasing.
I had a look through previous results and the last time England won defending sub 200 in the 4th innings was August 2018, vs India at Edgbaston. India needed 194, England won by 31 runs.

ArmchairCritic

We've got to change the momentum somehow. Just prodding and poking is going to do nothing, other than tiring the pitch out for a few overs.

Still think we've got a big chance. Feel like picking Robinson rather than a quicker seamer might come back to haunt us though.
To be fair that half century still might be crucial. At the back end I think a wrist spinner would have been nice but Rehan is out of the tour.

ArmchairCritic

To be fair they’ve got an in-out field for Bashir too, I don’t think they’re planning to pull the field up at all so 1s/2s are all England have. It makes sense when bowled and LBWs are the main modes of dismissal. I think Foakes needs to just take any singles Bashir can get too rather than refuse them.

Darkhorsez

I wonder whether team actually get coached on approach to take on these situations? I mean in my amature take on this would be that England just keep going 1 run a ball. Don’t get why Bashir did not take a single to let Foakes keep the right end.

ArmchairCritic

I wonder whether team actually get coached on approach to take on these situations? I mean in my amature take on this would be that England just keep going 1 run a ball. Don’t get why Bashir did not take a single to let Foakes keep the right end.
This is the usual approach, minimise the exposure of the tail ender, when setting a 4th innings total where every run is crucial I think they need to be more receptive to opportunities to get a run and definitely they need to push for 2s more.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
If nothing else it's halted a little bit of that momentum India had.

Darkhorsez

This is the usual approach, minimise the exposure of the tail ender, when setting a 4th innings total where every run is crucial I think they need to be more receptive to opportunities to get a run and definitely they need to push for 2s more.
Just seems weird as the spinners have taken high order wickets. I mean we will lose these 2 wickets - I think we have missed out on a few runs here. Hoping for Foakes 50!

ArmchairCritic

That was weak from Foakes, got the field in but fell for the trap straight away.

SmallCaine

No wonder Rod Tucker gives umpire's call to England anytime he gives one against them it gets reversed.

JohnnyKills

To be fair that half century still might be crucial. At the back end I think a wrist spinner would have been nice but Rehan is out of the tour.
Yeah. At the end of the day, we're missing one of our best batsmen, our most experienced finger spinner, our brilliant young wrist-spinner and our fastest bowler, who presumably couldn't play this game.

We're relying on two kids, one of whom isn't used to bowling this many overs and went down with cramp yesterday.

Maybe it was inevitable that we'd lose that strong position.

zing

Zingle balls
I think Foakes needs a different strategy because evne if he bats all day tomorrow England will be only 280 ahead

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think Foakes needs a different strategy because evne if he bats all day tomorrow England will be only 280 ahead
I'm quite enjoying the tedium of it following live on BBC sport.

JohnnyKills

This is as eventful as going at 1 an over can be :lol:
Didn't think that was a very smart innings from Foakes to be honest. He was always going to get a delivery with his name on it, so maybe it would have been bitter to try swiping a few boundaries while he was in.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I thought Root was pathetic with the last 2 in the first innings but Foakes has taken it to the next level. Completely insane tactics