England Tour of India

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Yes, if anything is needed from England over the last two tests, it’s more Bazball.
You joke but I honestly think England weren’t aggressive enough in the 2nd dig here. A timid throwback to the tours gone by once Crawley got out.

ArmchairCritic

In terms of the difference between the bowling I think that in the 50 overs that England batted there wasn’t a single leg stump half volley from the spinners. It was impossible for the batsmen when facing Jadeja or Kuldeep to hit a ball through mid wicket or mid on while Rohit got 4-5 freebies in 3 overs. The relentless nature of Indian attack is kind of unappreciated
Oh for sure, if it’s not one of them the others will get you. It’s very hard. Having Kuldeep as 3rd choice is insane really :lol:. He’d play 120 tests for England.

Foakes did get through that area and the field was all back, whereas when Hartley was bowling full tosses the field was all in. Small detail but big difference in runs given away.

SinNombre

Just saw that England scored 35 for 7 wickets in their last 25 overs. Kuldeep bowled ridiculously well.
India would likely have been chasing 100 if Rohit had shown more trust in Kuldeep in the first innings.

prateik

This is far from over.. India still havent wiped off the 1st innings deficit..
England helped with the bowling towards the end, but they get a fresh start tomorrow morn.. There is a lot of inexperience in that batting lineup.
15 tests between Jaiswal, Patidar, Sarfaraz and Jurel .. Gill is fairly new as well..

zing

Zingle balls
England helped with the bowling towards the end, but they get a fresh start tomorrow morn.. There is a lot of inexperience in that batting lineup.
15 tests between Jaiswal, Patidar, Sarfaraz and Jurel .. Gill is fairly new as well..
Today's fan commentary reads like yesterday's with a different team being written off

I do think England's opening spell today put India significantly ahead in the game

AneRu

Right on, didn't a far more experienced Indian batting line up lose 6 wickets for so little in SA recently? There is a high chance that India will experience a batting collapse tomorrow but in every innings they always have someone standing up and saving the day, the target is too little and it's hard to see two from Rohit, Jadeja, Jaiswal, Sarfaraz and Jurel coming up with the two 50+ scores which India need to wrap it up.

ArmchairCritic

Interesting detail that did cross my mind when Foakes was happy going slow. From what little I’ve read on the game the roller can be a bit of a lottery though and it’s impact sometimes overstated.

iKnowNothing

Strong performance from Indian bowlers today. Batting last won’t be easy if the England bowlers don’t offer up freebies. There’s a reason India haven’t chased well in India.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Indian side is full of match winners even with injuries. We've competed really well but they keep winning the crucial moments. No real complaints from me, really enjoyed the series and will hope for a miracle tomorrow.

zing

Zingle balls
Unlike this thread, I actually like Michael Vaughan’s comms. But today he’s written a piece saying DRS needs to be clarified and we should show what’s happening in the truck. What does that mean??

Excerpt below:
So here is a simple solution to help improve transparency and accountability: stick a camera and microphone in the truck so as a decision is being made, we all know exactly what is going on, and how much humans are involved. And if you stick an ICC official in there as well we would know that the integrity – something we talk so much about in the game – is intact. You could argue that those running the technology in the truck are as important as the two standing umpires.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Hartley's bowling with the new ball was shocking but I thought it was poor captaincy from Stokes anyway to not go and have a word with him about dragging his length back and also perhaps see it wasn't working and get him off. For me Jimmy needs at least a couple of overs with the new ball on a green, cracked pitch too. Disappointed with that even moreso than the batting.

ArmchairCritic

Unlike this thread, I actually like Michael Vaughan’s comms. But today he’s written a piece saying DRS needs to be clarified and we should show what’s happening in the truck. What does that mean??

Excerpt below:
So here is a simple solution to help improve transparency and accountability: stick a camera and microphone in the truck so as a decision is being made, we all know exactly what is going on, and how much humans are involved. And if you stick an ICC official in there as well we would know that the integrity – something we talk so much about in the game – is intact. You could argue that those running the technology in the truck are as important as the two standing umpires.
He’s mostly talking rubbish, Cricket clearly has one of the best decision referral systems going if people don’t understand it or can’t accept the decisions we don’t need to fall into the trap of turning it into VAR. I don’t think the integrity of umpiring has ever been higher than it is now. Neutral umpires and DRS make it about as fair as you can get. If DRS was around when Vaughan was captain he probably wouldn’t have THAT Ashes series to hang his legacy on.

ArmchairCritic

Hartley's bowling with the new ball was shocking but I thought it was poor captaincy from Stokes anyway to not go and have a word with him about dragging his length back and also perhaps see it wasn't working and get him off. For me Jimmy needs at least a couple of overs with the new ball on a green, cracked pitch too. Disappointed with that even moreso than the batting.
Agree on this. 30 runs given away by Robinson’s drop, left a few runs on the table batting and then gave them a few easy runs at the end. All adds up in a tight test. Still an opportunity tomorrow though.

zing

Zingle balls
Agree on this. 30 runs given away by Robinson’s drop, left a few runs on the table batting and then gave them a few easy runs at the end. All adds up in a tight test. Still an opportunity tomorrow though.
I feel like the small stuff didn't matter as much as the fact that England really should've taken a 150 run lead here. Jurel was brilliant(and Kuldeep), but the real analysis is I think Mark Wood was missed.

The 46 run lead felt like a lot to me watching the 3rd innings. A 150 lead crushes the game.

In other news, saw this:

https://www.mid-day.com/sports/cric...v-jurel-make-it-to-indias-test-squad-23336940

The IPL has been amazing for Indian cricket. The investment some of these franchises do off-season to improve players.. Jaiswal is the same with Royals. Whomever picked Jurel has an incredible eye for talent. He has 10 FC games behind him, and to trust him ahead of the 20 odd other keepers in the domestic circuit is a fantastic call.

ArmchairCritic

I feel like the small stuff didn't matter as much as the fact that England really should've taken a 150 run lead here. Jurel was brilliant(and Kuldeep), but the real analysis is I think Mark Wood was missed.

The 46 run lead felt like a lot to me watching the 3rd innings. A 150 lead crushes the game.

In other news, saw this:

https://www.mid-day.com/sports/cric...v-jurel-make-it-to-indias-test-squad-23336940

The IPL has been amazing for Indian cricket. The investment some of these franchises do off-season to improve players.. Jaiswal is the same with Royals. Whomever picked Jurel has an incredible eye for talent. He has 10 FC games behind him, and to trust him ahead of the 20 odd other keepers in the domestic circuit is a fantastic call.
The small stuff adds up though. You catch Jurel you have a 80 run lead, you bat a little bit better you have a 260 run lead, you bowl a bit better at the end of the day and they’re looking at 240 to chase on Day 4 rather than 150. That’s a big difference. And that’s the stuff England could control, as you say Jurel and Kuldeep played well and there’s not much you can do about it.

I do agree on Wood, his skiddy action would have been very useful here but he’s not going to play back to back games, especially with how little time England give their bowlers rest during games. I think had England known the pitch would have these cracks 2 weeks ago, they’d have definitely selected different for the 3rd and 4th tests.

JohnnyKills

The small stuff adds up though. You catch Jurel you have a 80 run lead, you bat a little bit better you have a 260 run lead, you bowl a bit better at the end of the day and they’re looking at 240 to chase on Day 4 rather than 150. That’s a big difference. And that’s the stuff England could control, as you say Jurel and Kuldeep played well and there’s not much you can do about it.

I do agree on Wood, his skiddy action would have been very useful here but he’s not going to play back to back games, especially with how little time England give their bowlers rest during games. I think had England known the pitch would have these cracks 2 weeks ago, they’d have definitely selected different for the 3rd and 4th tests.
Think there's a bigger issue around our lack of out and out pace bowlers, but hopefully that will get fixed with all the young ones coming through.

JohnnyKills

Didn't realise he'd dropped one. Since that 50 he's had an absolute shocker. No runs, no wickets and a drop.

Think I might be looking to move on from him at the end of the series (would be great if he proves me wrong tomorrow though).

zing

Zingle balls
I like how much Stokes is in the game. His reaction tells you he genuinely believes they can win - and England can.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
My deep love-hate relationship with cricket can be explained by the way Rohit threw his wicket away there in the context of this match.

Reminds me of a certain situation with Maxwell and Head in a WC final.

This wicket will, in all probability, be not as pivotal - we should chase this down easily - but God does this side frustrate you.

MDFC Manager

I don't know much about Patidar, and the way he's playing, looks like it'll stay that way.

zing

Zingle balls
I don't know much about Patidar, and the way he's playing, looks like it'll stay that way.
Legit looked like we’d set the night watchman out. I’m usually a ‘give him ten matches’ type of fan, but that is a horror debut series.

zing

Zingle balls
Jadeja should be doing better here. Some rotation of strike..

croadyman

What might have been eh England,can't be losing 6-35 and dropping catches when in a good position. Feel sorry for Bashir who has fought hard here unfortunately in a losing cause.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Due to a family bereavement I'm on a last minute Korean Air flight back to the UK. I wrote this off when I got on the plane at 65-0.

Still can't quite see it but great to see us pushing. And nice one Korean air for the $10 WiFi.