England Tour of India

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Gill low key has been very good in this series.

TheGame

Well done India. Jurel has got to be man of the match. Can’t remember the last time I saw an inexperienced player with great temperament as he had shown.

For England, it’s a story of key moments lost and advantage thrown away. So frustrating and hope they can end on a high in the last test.

SmallCaine

What a find Jurel has been, great temperament, I never want to hear the name Bharat anywhere around the Indian team ever again.

Also have to say Bashir has been very impressive, knowing England they will most likely pick Hartley as your lone spinner when leach gets injured but they should really go for the better bowler, great control over line and length unlike Hartley.

Well played England but in the end beating india in India requires the best you ever have and England are nowhere near good enough for that

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Ah that’s a tough one to take. Another amazing win for India. England have to get better at taking their moments, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt away from home but collectively their batting has been up and down, especially that very experienced middle order.

Really happy to see this next generation coming through. Jaiswal, Jurel, Bashir. All unique stories too. Watching the Ashes I thought everyone was a bit old.

KM

Jurel MOTM. Ridiculous find.

To win this match from the position we were on 2nd day, given the inexperienced middle order is incredible.

mav_9me

I find it fascinating how players in various sports have to fight their natural instinct and play according to a strategy for a given match situation. Alcaraz playing a more conservative style without going for the winners against Djokovic in the Wimbledon finals. Bruno going for the goal after a short corner in the 92nd minute against Luton Town (example of falling for your natural instinct and not doing the right thing). Gill here today getting his first boundary after 120 balls... great determination and application.

ArmchairCritic

Jurel MOTM. Ridiculous find.

To win this match from the position we were on 2nd day, given the inexperienced middle order is incredible.
Yep if Bharat was playing I think England would have won comfortably.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
England's young spinners can hold their heads high. Shame the more experienced bats couldn't get through the difficult moments better.

TheGame

Ah that’s a tough one to take. Another amazing win for India. England have to get better at taking their moments, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt away from home but collectively their batting has been up and down, especially that very experienced middle order.

Really happy to see this next generation coming through. Jaiswal, Jurel, Bashir. All unique stories too. Watching the Ashes I thought everyone was a bit old.
Got high hopes for the future of bowling for England with Potts still to come in for the seam attack but I think we may need to start looking at the batting. Brook will come in for Bairstow I imagine. There are still question marks over Crawley at the top for me even though he did well in this match. Pope needs to be more consistent to remain at 3. Root needs to go back to playing his usual game.

KM

Highest ratio between Test caps of opposition and India's XI where they won:

2.83 vs Australia, Chennai 2001 (617 vs 218)

2.51 vs England, Vizag 2024 (632 vs 252)

2.35 vs Australia, Brisbane 2021 (505 vs 215)

2.27 vs England, Ranchi 2024 (668 vs 294)

2.25 vs Australia, Delhi 1996 (369 vs 164)

2.12 vs England, Rajkot 2024 (674 vs 318)

From Cricinfo.

ArmchairCritic

Got high hopes for the future of bowling for England with Potts still to come in for the seam attack but I think we may need to start looking at the batting. Brook will come in for Bairstow I imagine. There are still question marks over Crawley at the top for me.
You reckon? He’s had a fair few 50s, needs to convert them but I think since the Ashes he’s established him as a pretty key member of the team. Him and Duckett are a good partnership.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Very disappointing loss for England from such a strong position. Middle order shat the bed throughout the series. India played very well but England will go away with a lot of regrets

ArmchairCritic

Highest ratio between Test caps of opposition and India's XI where they won:

2.83 vs Australia, Chennai 2001 (617 vs 218)

2.51 vs England, Vizag 2024 (632 vs 252)

2.35 vs Australia, Brisbane 2021 (505 vs 215)

2.27 vs England, Ranchi 2024 (668 vs 294)

2.25 vs Australia, Delhi 1996 (369 vs 164)

2.12 vs England, Rajkot 2024 (674 vs 318)

From Cricinfo.
That Brisbane win will always stand out.

KM

Got high hopes for the future of bowling for England with Potts still to come in for the seam attack but I think we may need to start looking at the batting. Brook will come in for Bairstow I imagine. There are still question marks over Crawley at the top for me even though he did well in this match. Pope needs to be more consistent to remain at 3. Root needs to go back to playing his usual game.
Been England's best batsman this series collectively. Talking about Crawley.

TheGame

You reckon? He’s had a fair few 50s, needs to convert them but I think since the Ashes he’s established him as a pretty key member of the team. Him and Duckett are a good partnership.
Yeah I don’t think he will be dropped but he can go from the sublime to the ridiculous per innings. He needs to be far more consistent and is lucky there isn’t an opener at County level banging the door down.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah I don’t think he will be dropped but he can go from the sublime to the ridiculous per innings. He needs to be far more consistent and is lucky there isn’t an opener at County level banging the door down.
Last 12 months he averages 48, I think he’s getting there. Just needs more 100s.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Anyone reckon Jimmy skips Dharamsala to take his 700th in the home summer? Probably not, but just a thought.

Been a really good series, 2-2 would have been a tad kind to England on balance of play but it feels a real shame spectacle wise to not have a decider.

KM

Anyone reckon Jimmy skips Dharamsala to take his 700th in the home summer? Probably not, but just a thought.

Been a really good series, 2-2 would have been a tad kind to England on balance of play but it feels a real shame spectacle wise to not have a decider.
Dharamshala should be pacer friendly. No chance he skips that.

SmallCaine

He would be stupid to do that. Even if we ignore the pitch the temps are going to be 15° to 20° and it's going to rain on most days. He's going to feel like it's England.

zing

Zingle balls

I guess this will be his last home series?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I guess this will be his last home series?
My guess is he will be rotated in and out this summer as almost a player coach against sides we should beat fairly easily. Whether he actually retires or just stops getting picked is impossible to know with Jimmy.

KM

Huge credit to selectors for picking Jurel and Akashdeep(who's a bit forgotten right now).

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Focus will be on the inexperienced spinners but England lost the series because their three big batters who have played over 95 tests each and were touring India for the 3rd/4th time didn’t perform at all. 2 scores of 50+ in 24 innings between them is just poor

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Why do India have such a stacked test calendar at home this year? Just read they have NZ AND Bangladesh coming up too. Ten tests!

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Focus will be on the inexperienced spinners but England lost the series because their three big batters who have played over 95 tests each and were touring India for the 3rd/4th time didn’t perform at all. 2 scores of 50+ in 24 innings between them is just poor
I don't think there will be much criticism, most fans and pundits accept we've lost to a better side and played some top cricket. The Root, Pope and Duckett knocks are some of the best hundreds they will score in their careers. Hartley and Bashir have both taken big 5fors etc etc.

Sure the middle order was disappointing but one aspect of your team is always going to misfire to some degree and losing Brook was a killer there (no guarantee he scores runs but the rotation depth would ha e been hugely helpful).

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I don't think there will be much criticism, most fans and pundits accept we've lost to a better side and played some top cricket. The Root, Pope and Duckett knocks are some of the best hundreds they will score in their careers. Hartley and Bashir have both taken big 5fors etc etc.

Sure the middle order was disappointing but one aspect of your team is always going to misfire to some degree and losing Brook was a killer there (no guarantee he scores runs but the rotation depth would ha e been hugely helpful).
That’s fair, I don’t think I am too disheartened but just slight disappointment

TheGame

Yep it’s just the disappointment of being in dominant and winning positions and not taking advantage of them. Will be useful experience for the spinners,

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That Jurel 90 was massive.

Take a lead of 100 into the second innings and somehow score another 50 runs (whilst still collapsing obviously), it would have been too much

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Last 12 months he averages 48, I think he’s getting there. Just needs more 100s.
Yep maybe he’s getting better and I’m doing him an injustice. I was more looking at his test average of just above 31. I suppose consistency across the whole batting lineup is needed.
I haven't followed his career much but he must've been horrendous from his 2nd test match till last year. He has that 267 on debut and still averages low 30s. Been a great turnaround from him.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I haven't followed his career much but he must've been horrendous from his 2nd test match till last year. He has that 267 on debut and still averages low 30s. Been a great turnaround from him.
He was a bit of a running joke pre Ashes and under huge pressure for his spot. Most people wanted him dropped.

It's been an excellent turnaround since.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Crawley has been immense under Bazball and he is now the best batsman after Root. He really should feel bad about the starts he has thrown away though because you need big hundreds from openers in tests