England vs USA & Croatia | Its coming home

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Not sure how stating a fact can be deemed as cocky but in 2018 everything England fans have said has been deemed as arrogant for some reason.
Also, the misconstruing of Three Lions as some kind of arrogant provocative anthem was weird and annoying, considering how intrinsically the completely opposite of that it actually was...

I mean, hate us for our long, horrible, violent Imperial history all you want. Or even our modern day delusional bigot-fuelled Brexit implosion... but don’t come at Three Lions, bro!

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

The PA guy immediately putting on Three Lions at full time was hilarious.

Must have wound the likes of Lovren up badly.

Mockney

Trust. I waved the living feck out of my plastic flag. And Ive always really really hated plastic flags.

P.S. It’s coming home.

Ban

To be fair though, Croatia have qualified for the U21 Euros next summer for the first time in a long time so they may have a new generation coming through.
Yeah, Brekalo and Vlašić are from that team.
I dont fear for us although of course it will be very hard to replace Rakitić and Modrić.
Kovačić is still trying to find out what kind of player he is.

Andrew~

That said, it was one of the most positive atmospheres I’ve seen there in a long, long time. The idea of 70k+ staying until the final whistle alone is novel enough, let alone staying for a full, plastic flag waving post match rendition of Three Lions.

I’m having a fair bit of trouble processing enjoying England games and suffering through United ones these days tbh. I’ve been conditioned so heavily on the opposite.
Agreed. It was always easy to slightly dislike the team (from a United fan perspective) when the faces of England were Gerrard, Terry, Cole etc.

For whatever reason, this England team isn’t being looked at through those partisan lens and it’s making the games much more enjoyable and you really want to get behind the team.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
England could lose their next 8 qualifying matches and still qualify for the Euros.

9 actually.

rpitchfo

We were great today. I think that’s one of my favourite ever England performances. Outside of a major competition.

Mockney

Agreed. It was always easy to slightly dislike the team (from a United fan perspective) when the faces of England were Gerrard, Terry, Cole etc.

For whatever reason, this England team isn’t being looked at through those partisan lens and it’s making the games much more enjoyable and you really want to get behind the team.
None of them are scared of playing for England, for a start, which is such a huge weight off. And a lot of that is due to having someone like Southgate in charge, whose not only young enough to be at least vaguely identifiable to modern players (having played in the modern era) but also experiencing the very worst you possibly can as an England player, and coming out the other side like it’s not actually (shock horror!) the end of the world.

And I know that, cos I watched an interview with him where he said precisely that. That he sat the whole squad down before the World Cup and made a big point of it, saying basically “I’ve done the thing you’re the most worried about doing, and at the end of he day, I’m now your boss.”

I don’t think he’d make a remotely good club manager though. I don’t think he’s that good with tactics or implemented philosophy, but he is a great man manager and motivator. Especially for this particular England team, due to his Under 21 days. And yet it’s just sheer dumb luck that we’ve ended up with him, because Big Sam drank a pint of wine and got done by a tabloid.

Just imagine the alternative Universe where he was still in charge? And the glorious gilded hoof ball we’d be playing. I mean, it’d almost be like watching United!

Andrew~

None of them are scared of playing for England, for a start, which is such a huge weight off. And a lot of that is due to having someone like Southgate in charge, whose not only young enough to be at least vaguely identifiable to modern players (having played in the modern era) but also experiencing the very worst you possibly can as an England player, and coming out the other side like it’s not actually (shock horror!) the end of the world.

And I know that, cos I watched an interview with him where he said precisely that. That he sat the whole squad down before the World Cup and made a big point of it, saying basically “I’ve done the thing you’re the most worried about doing, and at the end of he day, I’m now your boss.”

I don’t think he’d make a remotely good club manager though. I don’t think he’s that good with tactics or implemented philosophy, but he is a great man manager and motivator. Especially for this particular England team, due to his Under 21 days. And yet it’s just sheer dumb luck that we’ve ended up with him, because Big Sam drank a pint of wine and got done by a tabloid.

Just imagine the alternative Universe where he was still in charge? And the glorious gilded hoof ball we’d be playing. I mean, it’d almost be like watching United!
Yeah, let's not even talk about that. On a personal level though, I've always been an England fan but being black, I never felt particularly 'welcome' in the crowd. Not been like that recently so it makes the match-going experience that much more enjoyable.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I’m having a fair bit of trouble processing enjoying England games and suffering through United ones. I’ve been conditioned so heavily for the opposite.
I know what you mean.

I never thought I'd see the day I'd prefer watching England over United...

I really hope we appoint an attacking manager next time because I miss enjoying United games. It's been too many years since.

Southgate, though.

Mockney

Yeah, let's not even talk about that. On a personal level though, I've always been an England fan but being black, I never felt particularly 'welcome' in the crowd. Not been like that recently so it makes the match-going experience that much more enjoyable.
Unquestionably one of the greatest victories of the Southgate era, has been its almost miraculous ability to unite the better parts of the country around this thoroughly modern and diverse team, in a time of otherwise unparalleled division.

As a multicultural liberal Londoner (hark at my performative wokeness!) whose spent years trying to justify my loyalty to a shit side with an often problematic fanbase, seeing something previously so associated with the very worst of parochial Island Nationalism as the England football team, triumphantly reclaimed in the name of progressive good, is an absolute fecking joy!

And I can’t imagine what it must feel like for someone who couldn’t simply shake their head and tut through yet another chorus of No Surrender from an ugly gaggle of tattooed gammons in a terrified picturesque European hamlet.

Last edited:

RochaRoja

Yeah it's hilarious isn't it?

There's not much between England and Croatia, I'm not sure how anyone can argue against that.
Over the course of the two Nations League games and the WC semi, England have been comfortably the better side and created by far the most chances to be honest.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Great game today. Delph has really impressed me over the past two games. From seeing his play, I'm surprised he doesn't get more game time for City other than filling in at LB. He could be the rest that Fernandinho needs from time to time. And I will say it....this England team is for real. Say what you want about the Nations League, but England was put in arguably the hardest group with Croatia and Spain and came out on top. I'm also not sure how they made these groups. How did England get this group while Belgium gets Switzerland and Iceland (and Belgium still gets knocked out lol). And WTF has happened to Germany? First embarassed at the World Cup and now relegated with a game to spare in the Nations League? I will be amazed if Low still has a job after their final match vs Netherlands...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yesterday i was angry( i am really bad loser:wenger:) so i said that England is upgraded Stoke. Counters and corners. But today i must admit that it is amazing how England with these players looks that good. I would never imagine that midfield Barkley, Dier and Lingard(Alli) can play with ball like this. High tempo, good and quick passing, counters, set pieces. Complete team. Especially in this formation. 352 didn't look this good.
But i still think that England for major trophy need to produce one class deep lying playmaker.

With Trippier, will Southgate play 352 again? It would be bad move imo.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yesterday i was angry( i am really bad loser:wenger:) so i said that England is upgraded Stoke. Counters and corners. But today i must admit that it is amazing how England with these players looks that good. I would never imagine that midfield Barkley, Dier and Lingard(Alli) can play with ball like this. High tempo, good and quick passing, counters, set pieces. Complete team. Especially in this formation. 352 didn't look this good.
But i still think that England for major trophy need to produce one class deep lying playmaker.
Lewis Cook is lurking in the shadows, waiting to pounce on the masses.

Was great to hear. There’s been a lot of anti-Englishness over the summer, that’s been quite disgusting, and they have used a song that’s so self aware and self deprecating as a stick to beat the English with, it’s completly bizarre. Listen to the actually lyrics, you ignorant fools!

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Great game today. Delph has really impressed me over the past two games. From seeing his play, I'm surprised he doesn't get more game time for City other than filling in at LB. He could be the rest that Fernandinho needs from time to time. And I will say it....this England team is for real. Say what you want about the Nations League, but England was put in arguably the hardest group with Croatia and Spain and came out on top. I'm also not sure how they made these groups. How did England get this group while Belgium gets Switzerland and Iceland (and Belgium still gets knocked out lol). And WTF has happened to Germany? First embarassed at the World Cup and now relegated with a game to spare in the Nations League? I will be amazed if Low still has a job after their final match vs Netherlands...
he's been injured for a good portion of the season

Revaulx

I don’t think he’d make a remotely good club manager though. I don’t think he’s that good with tactics or implemented philosophy, but he is a great man manager and motivator.
The tactics and philosophy may be open to question, but I don’t think you can argue with the implementation. One of the most obvious improvements he’s brought about is that the players look as though they understand what their roles are, and feel confident in their ability to fulfil them. This goes beyond just motivation.

That said, the circumstances of his appointment have given him a rare opportunity to pick only players who will buy into and follow his instructions. I think he’d find it a lot harder to walk into a dressing room full of established “stars” and get them doing things his way.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Was great to hear. There’s been a lot of anti-Englishness over the summer, that’s been quite disgusting, and they have used a song that’s so self aware and self deprecating as a stick to beat the English with, it’s completly bizarre. Listen to the actually lyrics, you ignorant fools!
It's amazing isn't it. The song is actually saying how we actually don't expect to win anything, yet we get accused of cockiness.

Classical Mechanic

I don’t think he’s that good with tactics or implemented philosophy
I don't think this is true at all. I've heard the players say numerous times that we've scored from rehearsed transitions and situations.

I think he was guilty of being too rigid in the World Cup with the formation but he seems to have learnt from that.

Andrew~

Unquestionably one of the greatest victories of the Southgate era, has been its almost miraculous ability to unite the better parts of the country around this thoroughly modern and diverse team, in a time of otherwise unparalleled division.

As a multicultural liberal Londoner (hark at my performative wokeness!) whose spent years trying to justify my loyalty to a shit side with an often problematic fanbase, seeing something previously so associated with the very worst of parochial Island Nationalism as the England football team, triumphantly reclaimed in the name of progressive good, is an absolute fecking joy!

And I can’t imagine what it must feel like for someone who couldn’t simply shake their head and tut through yet another chorus of No Surrender from an ugly gaggle of tattooed gammons in a terrified picturesque European hamlet.
Yeah it’s been a big change. And long may it last cos I for one am really enjoying it.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
What’s funny is that we are happy when they do well, but the bitterness when we do well from them :lol:
It's almost as if one country was an aggressive conqueror and oppressor for centuries and the other one was on the receiving end.

Mighty grand of you to wish your former colony well whilst wondering what there could possibly be for them to begrudge about England.

Classical Mechanic

It's almost as if one country was an aggressive conqueror and oppressor for centuries and the other one was on the receiving end.

Mighty grand of you to wish your former colony well whilst wondering what there could possibly be for them to begrudge about England.
What does the England football team have to do with the British Empire?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
What does the England football team have to do with the British Empire?
It's a time for England fans to dust off otherwise retired imperialist attitudes and pretend Britannia rules the waves.

It's not that big deal either way, but English people wondering "why won't the Irish cheer for the English flag when we have nothing against our former subjugated people :confused:" is to me just a classic example of the widespread ignorance of the English concerning the consequences of their imperialism, consequences that have been quite distinct in living memory. You moved on, good for you. Just don't expect the favour to be returned speedily.

Bola

Would you rather the gaggle use discrimitory terms like 'gammon' instead?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Would you rather the gaggle use discrimitory terms like 'gammon' instead?
Are you an ugly tattooed gammon who enjoys a belting chorus of "No Surrender" by any chance?

Classical Mechanic

It's a time for England fans to dust off otherwise retired imperialist attitudes and pretend Britannia rules the waves.

It's not that big deal either way, but English people wondering "why won't the Irish cheer for the English flag when we have nothing against our former subjugated people :confused:" is to me just a classic example of the widespread ignorance of the English concerning the consequences of their imperialism, consequences that have been quite distinct in living memory. You moved on, good for you. Just don't expect the favour to be returned speedily.
I wouldn't expect people from other nations to cheer on England.

The vitriol and pettiness that some of the home nations fans display is beyond pathetic and crosses the line into plain old bigotry in my opinion.

There are a faction of the fans that do let us down. I agree with that and understand why that would rankle. I don't think it is healthy to judge a large group of people by their worst example, however. Again I would say that such an attitude is bigoted. The vast majority of England fans do not see following the national team as a 'time to dust off otherwise retired imperialist attitudes and pretend Britannia rules the waves'.

Bola

Are you an ugly tattooed gammon who enjoys a belting chorus of "No Surrender" by any chance?
No. I'm trying to stop the use of discrimitory terms that have no place in football and civilised society

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Love watching England play at the moment.

Much like the World Cup, yesterdays win gave me the same buzz I get after a United win.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The general concenous of the English public is it's a good thing though...

What are you basing this on exactly?
Conversations with friends, colleagues and others in public. There's a lot of dismissing it - seemingly because it is new and different. Even the TV pundits yesterday called themselves out on it and how they had now finally warmed to it.

Good to know it's going down well more successfully in other circles. I love it and I'm glad the players do too. Great structure to fill the gap between summer tournaments.