England Discussion

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I’d play the same team we put out today. Personally think that’s the most assured we’ve seen England in some time. Even better than the Iran game tbh. That midfield 3 is undoubtedly our best bet currently. If Mount plays, I think it’ll be a real problem for us. He just doesn’t do enough. Bellingham, Rice and Henderson is a lot of energy and running, and plenty of quality on the ball. Bellingham is pretty incisive too when he has the freedom to break forwards.

I’d play the same front line too. Be madness to drop Kane.
Agree with this, maybe Saka for Foden.

Think that was a good and balanced line up, wasnt particularly exciting football but it was functional and tough to break down.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think Saka should probably keep his spot and Rashford should come in for Sterling.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Senegal a Good match up for England. They played well even against Dutch too. Two blunders from Mendy was difference.

Southgate played pacey wide players against Wales albeit Wales were too bad England looked like going no where but once got the first goal they looked totally different team. Probably Wales opened up a bit in my opinion and Wales goalie had a comical outing too.

Senegal will pose more problem and England should start same team that started against Wales.

SER19

Deja vu at a major tournament for England - no excuse for not getting to last 8 at least with an incredibly kind draw

Judas

Open to offers
Getting to the last 8 was the bare minimum, that's not impressive for this current crop of players now, we should be doing even better than that. If anything going out at the QF would be a failure and disappointing.

RopersReturn

Shouldn’t never underestimate the African nations, the pace and skill notably, of Koulibaly, Kouyaté and Diatta, should be a concern. The good news is that most of their players are familiar, and playing in the PL and EFL.

PoTMS

Senegal are a better team than Ecuador but they are more likely to open up against us and thus oddly we have a better chance against them. Ecuador would probably shithouse a 120 minute draw. It's still gonna be very difficult, mind you but if we lose this Southgate should be sacked before the plane touches home soil.

Zetrio2002

You'll beat Senegal in my opinion.
Senegal are a good team, I don't know why everyone had Ecuador as the favorites in their last game.
They're fast, they press well. However, England will have more than enough to beat them.
So England have more than enough to beat Senegal.

What about Senegal? Do they have enough to hold England to a draw?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think England nullify Senegal quite well as they're good defensively set piece wise, they have the pace at full back and out wide to compensate for Senegal and they also have a combative midfield capable of dealing with Gueye etc.

The White Pele

If the fitness is there I’d like to see Philips in for Henderson. I just think he gives the midfield better balance and is a bit more composed and assured in his passing. We already have legs in midfield with Rice and Bellingham and not entirely sure what Henderson adds aside from being another body in that midfield area.

With that change I think we then have a very solid 4-3-3 with tonnes of depth in the attack.

romufc

If the fitness is there I’d like to see Philips in for Henderson. I just think he gives the midfield better balance and is a bit more composed and assured in his passing. We already have legs in midfield with Rice and Bellingham and not entirely sure what Henderson adds aside from being another body in that midfield area.

With that change I think we then have a very solid 4-3-3 with tonnes of depth in the attack.
I have been watching our midfield with a keen eye this world cup. I agree with what you said because we need someone in the midfield who can pass.

I have been so disappointed with Rice this world cup, for someone who is rated at £80m+, I thought he would be a better passer.

For example, Phillips came on and made that pass for Rashford in behind, I have not seen Rice play any sort of expansive pass all tournament.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I have been watching our midfield with a keen eye this world cup. I agree with what you said because we need someone in the midfield who can pass.

I have been so disappointed with Rice this world cup, for someone who is rated at £80m+, I thought he would be a better passer.

For example, Phillips came on and made that pass for Rashford in behind, I have not seen Rice play any sort of expansive pass all tournament.
I agree with this, Rice has been keeping it very safe, but in his defence I don't think the movement around him has been that great.

RoyH1

Second half formation is what England should play with. I hope someone leans in on Southgate's ear and tells him to blow caution to the wind and goes for it.

Getting to the last 8 was the bare minimum, that's not impressive for this current crop of players now, we should be doing even better than that. If anything going out at the QF would be a failure and disappointing.
Against France? They are favourites for that QF.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I can see England vs Senegal being a really tough game.

England tend to make hard work of knockouts and we are not the best at opening up stubborn defences. Maybe we'll get a set piece goal and that will help us. However, Senegal has a lot of power in midfield. The Senegalese will be up for the fight and will be happy to see the game descend into a battle. Senegal is not a team we can outmuscle.

Can see the game going to extra time and potentially to penalties, unless England discover a creativity and fluency we have yet to see. I don't think Senegal will leave big spaces in behind for us to play into. I hope I'm wrong.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Phillips is fit then yeah. Him and Rice in a double pivot, Jude behind Kane, Rashford and one of Saka or Foden in attack, on current form, would be the way to go imo

The White Pele

I thought Rice was excellent in the first game and felt he was a big part of us building pressure by snuffing out any attempts from Iran to break out and then putting us back on the front foot with quick simple passes.

He was a big part of the problem against the US though as he seemed reluctant or unable to play forwards through the midfield which resulted in us having too much possession between the two centre-backs.

Yesterday I didn’t really notice him much which means he probably helped us in controlling the midfield but as you say nothing inspiring with his passing.

The White Pele

If we get France in the QF I think they’re the one team I would change to a back 3/5 for due to the unique threat of Mbappe.

You could argue Vinicius too but I think Mbappe is more destructive.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I thought Rice was excellent in the first game and felt he was a big part of us building pressure by snuffing out any attempts from Iran to break out and then putting us back on the front foot with quick simple passes.

He was a big part of the problem against the US though as he seemed reluctant or unable to play forwards through the midfield which resulted in us having too much possession between the two centre-backs.

Yesterday I didn’t really notice him much which means he probably helped us in controlling the midfield but as you say nothing inspiring with his passing.
The simple explanation for Rice looking good or not is the quality of opponent. A semi-pro footballer would look godly against me for obvious reasons.

Playing against Iran's midfield is obviously an easier task than playing against experienced Premier League players like Tyler Adams.

The truth is Rice is not, nor has he ever been, that great. He is good at a lot of things but excellent at pretty much nothing. It is fairly obvious that he will never have the comfort in possession or the passing range of a player like Casemiro. As I'm English, I hope to be shown up. However, its fairly obvious to me that Rice will have a job dealing with the press from players like Gueye. I've seen West Ham vs Everton, I know what that battle looks like.

I'm extremely pessimistic about our ability to outplay Senegal, or anyone. Our best hope is for goals from set pieces or transitions. However, I doubt the Senegalese will play an open game and make life easy for us. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

romufc

I agree that Rice is an excellent player, he is a top DM. Unfortunately, I was more looking at it in a United perspective where if we spent £80m+ on him, I dont think it would be money well spent.

I have seen what Rodri, Casemiro, Fabinho do on the ball, they are able to switch play, find passes in cute areas and progress play.

Rice in the world cup has been struggling, be it movement from the guys up front or whatever the reason.

I expect a CDM to be able to pass the ball if they are being rated as highly as Rice is.

romufc

The simple explanation for Rice looking good or not is the quality of opponent. A semi-pro footballer would look godly against me for obvious reasons.

Playing against Iran's midfield is obviously an easier task than playing against experienced Premier League players like Tyler Adams.

The truth is Rice is not, nor has he ever been, that great. He is good at a lot of things but excellent at pretty much nothing. It is fairly obvious that he will never have the comfort in possession or the passing range of a player like Casemiro. As I'm English, I hope to be shown up. However, its fairly obvious to me that Rice will have a job dealing with the press from players like Gueye. I've seen West Ham vs Everton, I know what that battle looks like.

I'm extremely pessimistic about our ability to outplay Senegal, or anyone. Our best hope is for goals from set pieces or transitions. However, I doubt the Senegalese will play an open game and make life easy for us. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I party agree with this. I think Rice is very good at shielding the back 4 when we do not have the ball.

Its when we have the ball, he doesnt give you much more than McTominay. The amount of times he keeps passing back and sideways without even looking what's infront of him is a joke, makes it hard to progress the ball.

No one can say this isn't the case because even Southgate agrees, he plays Philipps next to Rice to pass it better and even he said it, he needed Henderson to give control in the 1st phase.

It might be unpopular opinion but it might suit England more to play with Philips instead of Rice. However; I think its too much of a risk to try it in a KO game.

Lee565

I really don't see why kane is an automatic starter, he is in that rooney/Beckham territory of where they are afforded a starting place based on reputation and not current form.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So who are the only players not to get on the pitch yet? Ben White (out yesterday apparently), Coady, Gallagher and Maddison right?

Can see Maddison making an appearance at some point, but not sure about the other 3 really getting a look in. To be fair I'm pretty sure Coady is there just for the dressing room, White actually might come on to shut a game out and Gallagher if we're 5-0 up at some point

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So who are the only players not to get on the pitch yet? Ben White (out yesterday apparently), Coady, Gallagher and Maddison right?

Can see Maddison making an appearance at some point, but not sure about the other 3 really getting a look in. To be fair I'm pretty sure Coady is there just for the dressing room, White actually might come on to shut a game out and Gallagher if we're 5-0 up at some point
Keepers too of course. I'd be surprised if Maddison gets gametime from now on unless there are injuries sadly. Rashford, Foden, Grealish and Wilson have all came in and played well in those top 3 positions.

Zetrio2002

It seems Senegal's style is not very compact and England can beat them. Assuming no defensive errors from England then England should take a victory without needing to go to dreadful penalty shootout.

RedDevilMachine

It seems Senegal's style is not very compact and England can beat them. Assuming no defensive errors from England then England should take a victory without needing to go to dreadful penalty shootout.
Bookmakers have given very generous odds to England so I don't think it will be a very straight forward victory. Senegal will frustrate England in the first half but I still expect England to win 2-0 in the second half.

RopersReturn

Think it could go all the way to extra time before a winning goal. England clearly have issues defending, plus Pickford can get a bit distracted when he’s rattled. Wouldn’t be surprised if Senegal take the lead at some point.

iHicksy

I'd like to see Maddison or Phillips come in for Henderson (who looked absolutely awful). Rashford's first half was pretty poor but he should keep his spot over Sterling who I don't rate at all. Foden is a real talent and should be in the team regardless if it's across the 3 or in midfield. Bellingham is absolutely world class and a joy to watch. Walker had a great game.

I'm not convinced that Shaw is the answer at LB, he's pretty solid but he does still have a tendency to switch off and ball watch before reacting so I feel like Trippier could be a better option as he's solid defensively and offers incredible crossing/Set pieces whilst also being on red hot form this season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Bit harsh on Saka to lose his place. He was the best attacking player through the first two games. Seems harsh to not start Rashford abd Foden too though, after their performance vs Wales. Interesting decision for Southgate. Good to see all 3 of them are in form though. It's a good problem to have.

If I was to guess, I think Southgate drops Foden and goes with a Rashford Kane Saka front 3.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Bit harsh on Saka to lose his place. He was the best attacking player through the first two games. Seems harsh to not start Rashford abd Foden too though, after their performance vs Wales. Interesting decision for Southgate. Good to see all 3 of them are in form though. It's a good problem to have.

If I was to guess, I think Southgate drops Foden and goes with a Rashford Kane Saka front 3.
I agree.

Fairly content with England so far, we are just a good functional tournament side. I can see us beating one of the big boys (likely to need to be France) in a QF but not three in a row to win it.

A semi final and out to Spain or something would be a great run and good effort.

island

Supports
Chelsea
In terms of quality and especially depth of options in the squad there is a huge difference.

Several Senegal players left yesterday's game exhausted and lost one of their best players to a yellow card (Gueye).
Although I quite like Mendy who came in as a substitute yesterday.

The main factor that can balance the scales is the emotional one which is very important too.
Senegal has already achieved a good goal, they have nothing to lose, zero pressure.
It will be a game to try something heroic for them.

England has and feels the pressure.
One setback and the house comes crashing down.
There are many quality players but a terrible coach and zero cohesion.

It could end 3-0 or 0-1.
Depending on the emotional.

And let the Senegalese party come back in the stands.
They dance all the time.
It's a party.

the_cliff

Selection headache for Southgate.

Do you play Foden and Rashford ? or stick with Sterling and Saka ?

Hendo or Mount ? Or do you play Foden in the 10 ?

I reckon he'll go with the same 11 as vs USA, probably play Hendo instead of Mount and Use Bellingham further forward.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I agree that Rice is an excellent player, he is a top DM. Unfortunately, I was more looking at it in a United perspective where if we spent £80m+ on him, I dont think it would be money well spent.

I have seen what Rodri, Casemiro, Fabinho do on the ball, they are able to switch play, find passes in cute areas and progress play.

Rice in the world cup has been struggling, be it movement from the guys up front or whatever the reason.

I expect a CDM to be able to pass the ball if they are being rated as highly as Rice is.
As a Chelsea fan Rice’s technical ability is a concern for sure. I was convinced back in the day he’d be the heir to John Terry one day, not a World Class midfielder (which he frankly isn’t). So maybe one of you guys can out bid us?

Anyway, Senegal it shouldn’t be an issue, but if you make it to France … Southgate should consider playing Rive at the center of a back 3, and then a pivot of two midfielders in front. They will need to manufacture easier outlets playing out from the back to compensate.

I would also consider TAA I that game. Tripper and Walker can’t handle Mbappe either, you. Are going to have to have massive help, so you might as well provide a faster, more dangerous outlet to at least give the French something to think about on that side.

romufc

As a Chelsea fan Rice’s technical ability is a concern for sure. I was convinced back in the day he’d be the heir to John Terry one day, not a World Class midfielder (which he frankly isn’t). So maybe one of you guys can out bid us?

Anyway, Senegal it shouldn’t be an issue, but if you make it to France … Southgate should consider playing Rive at the center of a back 3, and then a pivot of two midfielders in front. They will need to manufacture easier outlets playing out from the back to compensate.

I would also consider TAA I that game. Tripper and Walker can’t handle Mbappe either, you. Are going to have to have massive help, so you might as well provide a faster, more dangerous outlet to at least give the French something to think about on that side.
I am glad we went for Casemiro which means Rice is not out of the equation. I hope Chelsea or Liverpool sign him, I would rather sped 60m on Enzo than Rice.

In respects to the WC, I am really worried how England progress the ball, Maguire we know from United takes forever to release the ball and always passes to Stones or Shaw.

Rice is the same, he kept passing to the CB's, not once did he attempt a switch of play or a pass inbetween the lines.

saivet

Southgate will play a back 3 if we get to the QF and play France. If he did go for a back four, I think it would be crazy to select TAA ahead of Walker at RB too. He's the best defensively and the only one that might be able to handle Mbappe's pace.

In all likelihood it will be Walker as RCB and probably Trippier as RWB. I don't think Trippier has been good this tournament, so I'd probably prefer at RWB but definitely not in a back 4.